Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

#stopstealing concerns

I'm tired of people stealing other stuff I got my first favorite yesterday and I'm worried they are gonna re upload it Here's my idea
They should add a thing that has a says that it is other users content and they only approve self made content who else agrees?
Shelly Mellow Maxis
Madden Maxis
Riles Maxis
Harris Maxis
Hunger Games Modeling Comp
[img][/img]ezgif.com-gif-maker_zpsjrmqrvoc.gif
Last one made by me [my handwriting is bad on computers!]
Thanks to the talented @Cbear13 for making these!

Comments

• friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,545 Member
    sorry op bu i disagree once the content is uploaded on the gallery it bcomes public and belongs to everyone i ahve seen some of my stuff reuploaded that was made by me and modify by other simmers and i do not mind at all
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,393 Member
    I'm tired of people stealing other stuff I got my first favorite yesterday and I'm worried they are gonna re upload it Here's my idea
    They should add a thing that has a says that it is other users content and they only approve self made content who else agrees?

But when you upload something someone else made it shows the original maker of that sim,household or lot so they get the credit.
  • MarkHarris17MarkHarris17 Posts: 537 Member
    Yeah but they get downloads that could have been your or it could have been curated my maxis and it was under them @catloverplayer
    Shelly Mellow Maxis
    Madden Maxis
    Riles Maxis
    Harris Maxis

• catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,393 Member
    Sometimes if I change a person's sim or lot I will upload temporarely to download to another pc then remove the sim or lot as soon as I have downloaded on another pc. I downloaded this beautiful lot and added fountains to the water. I plan on uploading to download to another pc then remove it from the gallery.
  • pottergoosepottergoose Posts: 1,543 Member
    I typically download empty houses people built due to my lack of building skills but when I upload it to the gallery, I tag who's build it was and make a note that I just redecorated it, both inside and out
    I'm the one who gripped you tight and raised you from perdition
  • Bubbles_19Bubbles_19 Posts: 476 Member
    edited September 2015

But when you upload something someone else made it shows the original maker of that sim,household or lot so they get the credit.

Adding to this, the stopstealing hashtag seems to be reaching a lot of people in the gallery. The problem seems to be that it sometimes doesn't show the original creator on older uploads that came before the original creator was patched in. Just like the gallery doesn't display the modded sign for older uploads that include custom content or mods. As long as people credit originals, it's fine. If you put it out there for people to download, view it as a compliment that they made some changes and credited you.
    mario%20gif_zpstweslqlh.gif

Simming since '09.
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,963 Member
    Sometimes I will re upload stuff in case my game crashes, I usually say that it is not my upload and the reason why I am uploading it.... The gallery works like a cloud. It does not bother me if people re upload something I have made. If it did, I just wouldn't share it.
  • ropodogropodog Posts: 210 Member
    I had a few things "stolen" from me. I was very upset about it at first. I felt like something I had worked really hard on was being thrown around by someone else who didn't care about it. The thing that has been bothering me more though is when someone is able to re-upload someone else's work and remove the original by tag. It seems so wrong to me. It's like the other person is trying to pass off your creation as their own. I do feel like it is theft, and I wish their was a way for Maxis to make it impossible to re-upload things that don't belong to you.
    TunnelSnakesRule_400x400.jpg

Origin Id On Gallery ropodog

MY YOUTUBE

MY TUMBLER
  • SurfChicCreationSurfChicCreation Posts: 58 Member
    soo agree with mark and with ropodog here, I think many of us are getting tired of spending (personally I spend at least 6 hours on a room) a long time making our creations and then someone, who is not part of the gallery community, no followers etc, takes that exact room or lot and reuploads it and says they made it. To me, it is not a matter of it is public domain once you upload. It is public ONLY for that person to dl and use for themselves, not to then reupload and act as if they made it. It is stealing, and taking and trolling. We are asking for an option to make a creation you have worked SO hard on, to not be reuploadable. If that were done, then the creators morale would be lifted and not so much time spent on reporting, identifying and in the end being really upset at what are your "babies" being taken from you. I hope this gets resolved soon as I do understand how it feels to have things taken in the gallery. OH and my gallery name is surfchiccreation =)
  • islerouxisleroux Posts: 704 Member
    Hi guys! For those of you (like me) who do believe it is plagiarism then you may find this thread of some interest. There are quite a few pages to read through but from page 17 it discusses the latest patch/update. It is also a thread that Bryony updates as soon as there are any developments etc. so useful to bookmark if you are concerned about your creations being re-uploaded.
    tumblr_pen9rswoMU1uuyyy0o2_400.png
    º ✿ º Gallery º ✿ º Simblr º ✿ º My CC º ✿ º Dizzy Isy Save File º ✿ º
  • islarosexivislarosexiv Posts: 454 Member
    Bubbles_19 wrote: »

Adding to this, the stopstealing hashtag seems to be reaching a lot of people in the gallery. The problem seems to be that it sometimes doesn't show the original creator on older uploads that came before the original creator was patched in. Just like the gallery doesn't display the modded sign for older uploads that include custom content or mods. As long as people credit originals, it's fine. If you put it out there for people to download, view it as a compliment that they made some changes and credited you.

I just occasionally scan for my lots (more often than not, someone fails to change the name/description), and flag them as stolen. If I see something stolen from someone else, I'll double check the dates, make a comment stating who the original belonged to, and let the creator know.
    Gallery: Islaroses
    Build Showcase: Islaroses
    Simblr: islarosesims.tumblr.com
    Sims Mobile: NJUTWNP

• islarosexivislarosexiv Posts: 454 Member
    ropodog wrote: »
    I had a few things "stolen" from me. I was very upset about it at first. I felt like something I had worked really hard on was being thrown around by someone else who didn't care about it. The thing that has been bothering me more though is when someone is able to re-upload someone else's work and remove the original by tag. It seems so wrong to me. It's like the other person is trying to pass off your creation as their own. I do feel like it is theft, and I wish their was a way for Maxis to make it impossible to re-upload things that don't belong to you.

I feel the same way about people who circumvent the mod filter, to be honest. Unpopular opinion, I know. :#
    Gallery: Islaroses
    Build Showcase: Islaroses
    Simblr: islarosesims.tumblr.com
    Sims Mobile: NJUTWNP

• MarkHarris17MarkHarris17 Posts: 537 Member
    I got my first steal yesterday I use a custom hashtag and it was right their when I click on it all they did was change their traits clothing and haircolor I was pretty mad and it got 4 downloads that could have been mine and they didn't even change the desceiption
    Shelly Mellow Maxis
    Madden Maxis
    Riles Maxis
    Harris Maxis

• friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,545 Member
    edited September 2015
    op you will need to accept this once you upload to the gallery the creation sim or lot becomes public so any simmers can download them and if simmers decide to change the outfit or traits its to suit there game needs or playstyle like for exemple say i download a sim that has a tattoo and pircing things i do not like i clearly remove them and if you do not went to share on the main gallery then save only to your library *Edit if you feel the need then post this on @SimGuruDrake wall
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Here's the deal, the community is going through normal group development "storming" and "norming" phase. People are untangling what they think. There is no right or wrong here. The community is trying to establish rules for this and we have to take time now to listen to each other. So whatever I say now ... please know that at the same time as voicing my opinion, I would like to say I am listening to all of you too!

I have said this many times before in this company (since a few people who have commented here I consider friends). They must be really sick of hearing this ... The Sim Community is young ... words like plagiarism ... they don't mean much to an 8 year old! Heck, I tutor online for a University and I can tell you there are some 19 year olds that don't get it either!

There is a huge flow of ideas on the gallery ... we are inspired by others. Sometimes we credit, other times it becomes part of the flow of ideas on there. The flow of ideas is what makes it exciting sometimes, but a lot of what happens there, could be considered "plagiarism" (if that is where we are going with this ... ). I've seen one of my rooms re-uploaded and they'd changed the placement of some items ... is it now their room? This is the problem ... where do we start and where do we stop ... there will be immeasurably too many grey areas once we begin.

I love doing remakes ... but then, I am old enough and wise enough to know when to credit, if it is original enough to call my own and so on and so forth. In the beginning I did remakes without any permission from the original creator, but as the community evolved, I changed this, because I was part of that flow of ideas too.

The best we can do is to educate wherever we can, lead the way in what we consider to be "best practice", model to others how and when to credit others and continue to listen to each other and talk to each other about what we expect from one another.
    I think there already exists quite some agreement on this in certain micro-communities within the larger community.

Love ya's! Thanks for listening! I am listening too! xxx
    g6e9pimv4c4c.png