Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The "Missing Two Traits". Possibly Related to Toddlers and Preteens?

Do you think that with the addition of toddlers and preteens, that those life stages could add in the two traits to complete the 5? Please contribute to the discussion.
Just some random Simmer you probably don't even follow on the gallery! Gallery name's the same as my username! Did I just rhyme there?
xyIcMqt.png

Comments

• SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,970 Member
    It would be nice if they did!
  • AyumapAyumap Posts: 3,425 Member
    A guru already said the reason we don't have more traits is because the sims were "behaving strangely" with more than the 3(well four because of the aspiration traits) so no, I don't think they'll add more traits slots because of toddlers or preteens. We'll probably always only have a 3 slot choice.
    2m60a6q.jpg
    *There's nothing wrong with loving the Sims 4, there's also nothing wrong with seeking improvements.
    A list of Mods I use.|My Sims 4 Mod and CC "Master" post. Helpful Links included.
  • HIFreeBirdIHHIFreeBirdIH Posts: 1,410 Member
    Hrm. Where did you find this? Could you please post a link? I'm also wondering which life stages they would choose to pick traits, since it seems strange to me if they just didn't let a trait be chosen.
    Just some random Simmer you probably don't even follow on the gallery! Gallery name's the same as my username! Did I just rhyme there?
    xyIcMqt.png
  • ENolanENolan Posts: 2,735 Member
    Ayumap wrote: »
    A guru already said the reason we don't have more traits is because the sims were "behaving strangely" with more than the 3(well four because of the aspiration traits) so no, I don't think they'll add more traits slots because of toddlers or preteens. We'll probably always only have a 3 slot choice.

Wasn't "Weirder Stories" part of the marketing campaign, @Ayumap? If so, it would've made sense... unless the weirdness was like this.
    bonnie_ech_by_rvu-d98dqzq.gif
    chica_ech_by_rvu-d98dqz6.gif

........Meh, I'd still have 5 traits if that was the case.
    @ENolan That's the tag line for sure but the guru didn't really go in-depth on what was odd about the behavior. Recently they also said sims wouldn't behave the way their groups "tell them" to for GT (while not in a "group setting") so it really doesn't surprise me.

I've asked why we can't have higher autonomy as well and was told it's because then the sims wouldn't need the player (if it were any higher)...

Funny thing is I feel like the sims being able to do more (autonomously) and having five traits (As well as more selections) would make them more interesting and unique. At any rate we're stuck with their vision other than when modders make adjustments.
    2m60a6q.jpg
    *There's nothing wrong with loving the Sims 4, there's also nothing wrong with seeking improvements.
    A list of Mods I use.|My Sims 4 Mod and CC "Master" post. Helpful Links included.
    edited September 2015
    Well, I think with not behaving, I think they mean that they won't strictly follow the rules every waking moment of their lives, but that's where the kicking out part comes in, I guess.

Back on track, I hope that now that they've gotten a year to work with their tech, that they should be able to fix whatever "odd" happens with the Sims. But hey, if they can't, than "Weirder Sims", right?

Edit: Was the statement made recently or near the beginning?
    xyIcMqt.png
    Hrm. Where did you find this? Could you please post a link? I'm also wondering which life stages they would choose to pick traits, since it seems strange to me if they just didn't let a trait be chosen.

It's possible that toddlers would have their own set of traits (that vanish once they are a child) or even that teens would then be given the option to have 3 traits to shape their personality with the ability to just change them again upon entering adulthood. I'm sure it's something they'll figure out, but anyway it was in a Ask the gurus thread. I'll try and find it.
    2m60a6q.jpg
    @ENolan God, I still get creeped out by those things. I really hate creepy, old objects. Especially animatronics.
    xyIcMqt.png
  • pythonpunkgirlpythonpunkgirl Posts: 240 Member
    I would be fine if they left the three traits maximum if they added a personality point system to compliment three traits and allow for more diversity. The personality points could provide a base to make sims more prone to act one way and then the trait be more enhanced.

Since my explanation is wonky here is an example:
    Let's say one personality point criteria is "jealous" and those points are maxed and you add the trait "hot-headed." This Sim will rip a toy from another child's hands, be mean to someone talking to their friend, or go crazy on a lover that is flirting with someone else.

Does that make sense? I swear it does in my head lol
    edited September 2015
    @ENolan That's the tag line for sure but the guru didn't really go in-depth on what was odd about the behavior. Recently they also said sims wouldn't behave the way their groups "tell them" to for GT (while not in a "group setting") so it really doesn't surprise me.

I've asked why we can't have higher autonomy as well and was told it's because then the sims wouldn't need the player (if it were any higher)...

Funny thing is I feel like the sims being able to do more (autonomously) and having five traits (As well as more selections) would make them more interesting and unique. At any rate we're stuck with their vision other than when modders make adjustments.

@Ayumap You may want to try this little mod out, then. It directly deviates from that restricted vision.
    modthesims.info/download.php?t=537389

Edit: @HIFreeBirdIH Sounds like you may not appreciate some of the sims that haven't seen the light of day in my game...
    trashedbabsattack1_by_rvu-d8t1b1n.png
    deadandreattack1_by_rvu-d8t1azz.png
    Yeah, that actually makes a lot of sense @pythonpunkgirl . I just want to know how strong of an influence those points would have on a Sim. I'm thinking in my head the traits influence desires and behaviors while the points would influence how those actions are carried out, or how they would interact with other Sims.
    xyIcMqt.png
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member

It was, IIRC, back last fall in either a SimGuru chat thread or the Technical forum SimGuru chat.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
    edited September 2015
    @Enolan I'll give it a look. :) Thanks.

@HIFreeBirdIH Here's the actual quote.
    We decided to focus on 3 personality traits so that each one's impact could be more visible. We actually put more gameplay impact into the TS4 traits and it's true, when we played with 5 we often found Sims doing unpredictable things. It created an interesting side effect where you actually lost some of the uniqueness between characters - when trying to behave according to all 5 traits it actually watered them down a bit. So why do the reward traits work? They are very very targeted & specific. Not needing to sleep as much doesn't manifest in the way being a hot-head does for example.

The game is actually much more intelligent when it comes to tracking & setting character relationships than CAS. A Sim in CAS isn't a full Sim yet (at least as far as their data is concerned) so it's a little more complicated to set up some of the more temporary or nuanced relationships in that data. Not impossible but not as straightforward as sister/brother for example. We're always looking at improvements though.

Good feedback on the walks - thanks for the input.

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/803379/new-ask-a-simguru-11am-to-12-noon-pst-tuesdays/p14

I guess you're right in saying that maybe by then they'll find a "fix" or better way to balance out more traits but for the mean time I'm not expecting an increase. This comment was made in February of this year.
    2m60a6q.jpg
    Yeah, that actually makes a lot of sense @pythonpunkgirl .I just want to know how strong of an influence those points would have on a Sim. I'm thinking in my head the traits influence desires and behaviors while the points would influence how those actions are carried out, or how they would interact with other Sims.

That I haven't figured out yet. I mean, I don't want them to be overbearing, but I want them strong enough that a nicely decorated room won't cancel them out. Part of my issue with the game is that the emotion system needs an overhaul. I have had sims lose a family member they loved/ get a divorce/catch a lover cheating and they act like everything is peachy because their needs are full and the room is pretty.
    Okay, I just had an idea. What if with each life state, you get a trait, BUT, the traits can be catagorized as a primary or secondary trait. If the toddlers and preteens were added, than it's possible that two life states could be ones that introduce secondary traits. So there would be 5 traits, but secondary ones wouldn't hold as strong an influence as primary ones do. Let's say you have Active as a primary trait and Neat as a secondary one. The Active trait would have all of it's emotional influence, but the Neat trait would have a smaller emotional impact. If this Sim works out, but there is a dirty object somewhere, the Active trait would take priority and have a stronger emotional impact than Neat, which would have less of an impact.

This make sense?
    xyIcMqt.png
  • InvaderchickycatInvaderchickycat Posts: 809 Member
    ENolan wrote: »

Wasn't "Weirder Stories" part of the marketing campaign, @Ayumap? If so, it would've made sense... unless the weirdness was like this.
    bonnie_ech_by_rvu-d98dqzq.gif
    chica_ech_by_rvu-d98dqz6.gif

........Meh, I'd still have 5 traits if that was the case.
    You know you want to see your Sim get stuffed into a suit by Freddy. >:)
    edited September 2015
    @pythonpunkgirl I agree that the system needs a bit of an overhaul but if you don't mind downloading mods, have you tried this?
    "Less/No Good/Bad Surroundings Buffs" by DrChillgood - Gets rid of the environmental happy buff.
    2m60a6q.jpg
    @pythonpunkgirl I think there should be an "Emotional" point bar. The more points put into that, the stronger the emotions they feel are.
    xyIcMqt.png
    @Invaderchickycat If you saw one of my posts above, I've been going backwards and shoving the skeletons into the sims. >:)
    @Ayumap I will look into it, but it is malarkey that mods are needed to fix major issues- you know? I also need to download the no culling mod because I lost several sims that I actually liked and I was yelling words that would make a sailor blush. I don't mind mods, but they shouldn't be necessary.

Btw, for anybody who desires to point out that sims 3 needed mods I am not disagreeing. I managed to not have to for most of its run, but it stinks to have to mod ANY game just to make it playable.
    @HIFreeBirdIH how would that work when multiple emotions are felt though? Like-right now things such as a pregnancy will boost confidence, right? So how would the emotions providing a boost work with your system?
    edited September 2015
    @pythonpunkgirl I agree they shouldn't be needed. I can't play this game without mods any more. Without the mods I just can't enjoy what Sims 4 offers by itself.

Instead of the no culling mod you should look into MC CMD Center by Deaderpool. It has a "no culling" feature now too as well as a lot of other useful things. :) Nothing in this mod is forced so you can turn things on or off, or even adjust how "much" of something you want to be done, it's up to you. I honestly think it (mod) gets better with every update the creator makes. It reminds me of Nraas except (imo) it allows for more user choice.

Edit: Sorry, forgot to link the mod. lol
    Edit 2: Forgot to link it again...
    2m60a6q.jpg
  • husseinandalihusseinandali Posts: 2,622 Member
    edited September 2015
    SheriSim57 wrote: »
    It would be nice if they did!

It would be nice if they added toddlers in the first place
    yondu-guardians1.jpg
    over here i post my cc
    new: https://simsworkshop.net/members/g1g2.1032/
    old: modthesims.info/m/8847624
    you may know me as g1g2

edited September 2015
    @pythonpunkgirl After thinking about it, I don't think it's a good idea anymore. The point system would probably work better if they mixed the two.
    xyIcMqt.png
  • TheSikiSassTheSikiSass Posts: 273 Member
    Sadly, we're probably not going to get a way to add two extra traits, since it would mess with already made Sims. I wish we could, though. I want more indepth Sims, like the ones in Sims 3!
    gay is ok kids