Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you think that adding peer pressure into a game that is played by a lot of young people is

Comments

• CloroxcleanCloroxclean Posts: 148 Member
    I would say that this is much different than peer pressure. Using your example, a lazy sim joining a fitness club could be seen as an effort for the sim to improve his habits. Besides, this is meant for how the player wants to tell the story, and you're not forced into any club; you can choose what you please. Just my opinion.
    New Sims 4 Houses All the Time
    Working on It!
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    edited September 2015
    We don't know how this club system will fully work or if it will make team members blindly turn into robots that will do the groups bidding or completely adhere to it. There was mentioned there could be conflict involved which is something we do go through in life. I'm almost hoping I can avoid the conflict aspect and bad relations resulting for my played sims by not putting dislikes in my group rules or making them mild if I have too.
    Since I like to micromanage my played sims lives, I will use this grouping system in anyway that appeals to my game play. For instance if I can make a gardening club that comes to tend my massive garden and basically all the members will be my servants I'm all for it.
    If it doesn't work that way then I will figure out how to use it different even if I'm a little disappointed that I didn't get my free help.
    I'm not seeing it at all as only making clique groups, but I'm sure I will do that also for amusement if I feel like doing that.
    I'd like to see what these game sites say about followers in games like Skyrim.... they fight and die for the player if need be. I'm sure they hate the idea of people using these other players to simply do others bidding. Maybe all games that don't let others wander free to do what they want outside of player control should be banned they would cry! It's frightening to think that my poor misguided children will learn from these games and follow them blindly... possibly emulating them to the detriment of society at large.
    Sorry for the sarcasm but those ideas are simply silly to me. I want to use any means the game gives me to enhance my experience playing. If I exploit other sims doing it or play in a way that is socially unacceptable for my own entertainment, I'll be happy to have the tool to do it. Or maybe I'll just play susie sunshine style. Choice is a wonderful thing.
    I don't think maxis is encouraging us to play a certain way, they are just handing us to the tools to use as we want to in our games.
    Post edited by Hermitgirl on
    egTcBMc.png
  • Alysha1988Alysha1988 Posts: 3,452 Member
    ichchen wrote: »
    Well, in Germany and many other parts of europe you need to be six years old to be allowed to play.

Thats why I was using that example... But even if you have to be older in your area (probably America). I am pretty sure Sims is a game that attract a lot of kids...

And to that I stand by, leave the parenting to the parents. Just because something might interest a kid doesn't mean the company should then be held responsible for making their product all sunshine and rainbows.

• DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,577 Member
    I played The Sims 1 when I was 8 and I grew up fine. :joy:
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • ironknight35ironknight35 Posts: 3,751 Member
    I don't see any problems with the new EP. The parents should be parenting their children, not games... My parents wouldn't let me play games until I was 13 and they had to be non violent. xD
    He/Him
  • BrokenChaos69BrokenChaos69 Posts: 928 Member
    I believe the clubs are meant to give more control to the player. If we want a lazy slob to join a fitness club and have them workout then we as the player should have that option. If a 6 year old child is playing the game then it's parents are not doing their job properly and if anybody takes video games so seriously that they believe the content featured in them applies to real life then they shouldn't be playing video games. It's as simple as that.
    Gallery ID: ChaosKitten666
    I hope my Sims and lots aren't too terrible!
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    The Sims 4 has no age limit.

Yes, it does it's rated Teen and younger kids shouldn't be playing.

Or younger kids could play but with adult supervision -- a smart parent/guardian will know what their kids are playing and can give them proper guidance.

Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    LaAbby wrote: »
    If someone is really thinking of doing what sims do, (such as putting on peer pressure) then that's them, and tbh we see it in movies, books, shows etc. So I honestly don't see anything wrong with it.
    People use sims to create their own stories not to actually model their life after ....

I've never believed the theories that say video games and movies make people violent or "bad".....but when you look at the way the article I linked read......
    So you could have a lazy Sim that joins a fitness-based club and ends up working out whenever they're together, or a good Sim who ends up carrying out evil deeds because they've joined a club based around meanness. Naturally, you can also create "Fight Clubs" and use the rules to position them as rival gangs who will only ever pick fights with each other.

...............yes I can see kids making mean girls clubs and thinking it's okay.

But some kids who have trouble with real-life "mean girls" and bullies could be recreating those people in their games in order to make sense of the behavior and even to give those people a fictional comeuppance. Ever hear of the movie "Heathers"? As long as they understand the difference between a video-game fantasy and an actual reality (and that should be up to the parent or guardian to explain), I don't see too much harm in it.

I'm really not sure how the traits will work with the group system -- Good Sims get sad when they interact with Evil Sims too much, so could a Good Sim really join a group that's based on evilness?

Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited September 2015
    I think the clubs are actually going to be watered down versions of the TS2 Greek houses. Peer-pressure is a part of life and it starts occurring as young as kindergarten now. I do think people should be able to distinguish between fantasy and reality. But I have to disagree that the club feature is going to equal peer-pressure.

There are far more mature content in the game as it is like incest anyways like allowing grandmothers to flirt with their grandchildren.

After reading that article though, I would call that part of the child development process. There are some life events that help shape a person and if Gurus want to include that with clubs, I don't see anything wrong with it. Like a child losing their parent can have a huge impact on their lives.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Prink34320Prink34320 Posts: 5,078 Member
    edited September 2015
    Clubs in Get Together have been said not to make Sims completely different, they only follow Club Rules at Gatherings, their personalities are still there and they sometimes won't abide to the rules of the Club, even so, they joined that Club, they should follow the rules. Is it peer pressure that someone willingly joins a Club in which they know the rules of but choose not to follow those rules due to the pressure of doing so?

As for Traits, being Lazy doesn't mean you'll never enjoy exercising or playing sports, being a Loner doesn't mean you don't want Friends, being Evil doesn't mean you'd never do good etc. The fact that these Traits don't restrict a Sim just shows how much personality they have, even so, these Sims wouldn't usually autonomously do the opposite of what their personalities say they'd usually do.

The Sims Games aren't meant to be played by Children, they're meant to be played by Teens and older, people who have some inclination of the adult themes in the game such as violence, pleasure and death.

Why in the heck would you want racism, discrimination and chosen sexualities in the game? It's meant to be a Life Simulator not an Everything That's Wrong With Today Simulator, it's funny how virtual individuals don't judge each other by their skin tone or preference but the people in real life consistently do the opposite. The Sims should be a safe place for people to play the game, having Sims being shrude to other Sims due to their skin colour is distasteful in my opinion, and speciest if you consider Aliens. And as for preference, the only way the game would be available to Children in places like Russia is if The Sims had no more same-gender couples, and I don't think that's a plausible thing to do, some Simmers enjoy the diversity of different types of couples in the game regardless of their own preferences. Besides, Sims are all Bi, so if you really want to, you could just make them Romance other Sims of the same or opposite gender.

A six year old shouldn't be playing a Teen - Adult Rated game in the first place, and if the Child was taught that for some reason liking the same gender is wrong, the parents of the Child should have learned about the game and the possibility of same-gender couples appearing, it's the parents' responsibility to watch over their Children, if their disappointed at how their Child develops some sort of liking or acceptance towards same-gender romances, it's not the game's fault or the company's fault, it's the parents' fault for choosing to buy the game for their Child to play due to their refusal to at least supervise their Child.

I believe in equality and the acceptance of people regardless of skin tone or preference, The Sims Games provide these for me, I wouldn't want a game where a harmless Gay Sims was being beaten on the sidewalk just because they liked another Sim of the same Gender, nor would I want Sims making fun of each others' ethnicities.
    Post edited by Prink34320 on
    Live your life to the fullest, don't wait for a miracle to happen, be the miracle to make things happen.
    Sometimes your creativity is limited where you use it most, but you can use those limitations to inspire new forms of creativity you may never have thought of beforehand.
  • shellbemeshellbeme Posts: 2,086 Member
    I am super excited for peer pressure! This will add much more drama to the game. I do wish they could make sims who are completely different from their 'clubs' have some kind of emotional struggle over the decisions they make -but that's likely asking too much. :)
  • blueturtleotterblueturtleotter Posts: 867 Member
    edited September 2015
    I agree with the argument that The Sims 4 is rated teen and therefore should not be afraid to include adult themes.

However, let's be honest; they are not marketing The Sims 4 to adults. They are not marketing it to teens either. All of their marketing is immature and is quite clearly aimed at tweens - 12 year olds and below.

So, to me, the problem isn't that they are adding peer pressue into the game, it is the fact that they are marketing it at kids who should not be playing The Sims full stop. Kids have enough peer pressure to deal with at school and it shouldn't be trivialised like The Sims 4 is doing if they are marketing their product at them.

With the gifs below I rest my case. This is not the way you market your game to teens and adults.

2v1ry0z.gif

8m3wF5N.gif

They need to market the game to its "appropriate" age group. Maxis are being irresponsible.
    Post edited by blueturtleotter on
  • PandaORosePandaORose Posts: 549 Member
    I think I see why this thread was created: http://www.pcgamer.com/the-sims-4-get-togethers-clubs-introduce-peer-pressure/ If not, here ya go!

Honestly, what came to my mind first after this statement found here: https://www.thesims.com/en_GB/news/get-together-expansion

"They have defined behaviours that dictate how they tend to act, including how they treat other Sims, and what they do or don't like to do..."

was the word, 'prejudice.' Imagine what might happen if a sim of a certain group runs into a sim of an opposing group. They might fight or argue! Surely, that will be entertaining for a while and would be a semi-nice change from the mostly 'cheerful' sims, but that will just bring back memories of high school and even the movie, Mean Girls. There will be these different cliques, separated and even disliked for their differences.

Also, some people have admitted to letting small children play this game. But children don't think like we do. They just see another harmless game to play with. They don't process, analyze and compare and contrast this game to real life events or other games like adults. I started playing The Sims at age 10 and I did not want to go out here smacking people around or 'woohooing.' No one should be easily influenced by a game, television or whatever. If so, that's them. They made that choice and whatever life factors that further enabled them to be easily influenced by something so minuscule.
    2750512.gif~c200

• Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    PandaORose wrote: »
    Also, some people have admitted to letting small children play this game. But children don't think like we do. They just see another harmless game to play with. They don't process, analyze and compare and contrast this game to real life events or other games like adults. I started playing The Sims at age 10 and I did not want to go out here smacking people around or 'woohooing.' No one should be easily influenced by a game, television or whatever. If so, that's them. They made that choice and whatever life factors that further enabled them to be easily influenced by something so minuscule.

If someone is influenced by a game by thinking it is okay to do it in real life, there is something wrong with them. B)
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    When I was a kid, it was the Road Runner cartoons which were the horrible influence and would surely lead children to all sorts of violence.
  • ambrownambrown Posts: 804 Member
    it's a game...if you're going to have that kind of outlook then a lot of tv shows, movies, and other games should be banned.
    you're ele-phantastic
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Honestly forums cause more peer pressure than the game ever could. But yeah I am tired when even Animal Crossing feels like a more mature game than the Sims 4 now. It shouldn't feel like an E rated game.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • emilyduruemilyduru Posts: 289 Member
    I agree with the argument that The Sims 4 is rated teen and therefore should not be afraid to include adult themes.

However, let's be honest; they are not marketing The Sims 4 to adults. They are not marketing it to teens either. All of their marketing is immature and is quite clearly aimed at tweens - 12 year olds and below.

So, to me, the problem isn't that they are adding peer pressue into the game, it is the fact that they are marketing it at kids who should not be playing The Sims full stop. Kids have enough peer pressure to deal with at school and it shouldn't be trivialised like The Sims 4 is doing if they are marketing their product at them.

With the gifs below I rest my case. This is not the way you market your game to teens and adults.

2v1ry0z.gif

8m3wF5N.gif

They need to market the game to its "appropriate" age group. Maxis are being irresponsible.
    Well to be fair most of their demographic is teens/young adults. Although a lot of adults play it, wayyy more teens/YA play.

9i7a5w.jpg
  • blueturtleotterblueturtleotter Posts: 867 Member
    edited September 2015
    emilyduru wrote: »

2v1ry0z.gif

8m3wF5N.gif

Well to be fair most of their demographic is teens/young adults. Although a lot of adults play it, wayyy more teens/YA play.

Yes, but do you really think the above behaviour by Rachel Franklin is aimed at young adults and teens? Do you really think teens would find her presentation cool? The presentation was like something off a children's programme with all the exaggerated gestures and bright clothes. It was definitely not aimed at teens and young adults. They are marketing The Sims 4 to tweens and it is wrong.
  • Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    Yes, but do you really think the above behaviour by Rachel Franklin is aimed at young adults and teens? Do you really think teens would find her presentation cool? The presentation was like something off a children's programme with all the exaggerated gestures and bright clothes. It was definitely not aimed at teens and young adults. They are marketing The Sims 4 to tweens and it is wrong.

I found it awesome. o:)
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
    edited September 2015

2v1ry0z.gif

8m3wF5N.gif

Source? That may be their current target audience, but simmers are actually quite diverse. In fact, Maxis really needs to hope that they don't lose people who are not a part of that demographic in huge numbers, because that will severely hurt game sales.

Edit: Simmers, like all gamers, come in all ages, and in fact, the majority are probably 30+

• luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    ejoslin wrote: »

2v1ry0z.gif

8m3wF5N.gif

Source? That may be their current target audience, but simmers are actually quite diverse. In fact, Maxis really needs to hope that they don't lose people who are not a part of that demographic in huge numbers, because that will severely hurt game sales.

Edit: Simmers, like all gamers, come in all ages, and in fact, the majority are probably 30+

Info I can find on the demographics of Simmers:

From 2010: "Our biggest demographic used to be teen girls," Humble said. "With 'The Sims 3,' we've seen that broaden a bit. It has aged upward, and clearly, it is a game that people are playing as they grow older." http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/gaming.gadgets/10/26/sims.anniversary/ (Doesn't say how much older, but "a bit")

And that's it. But if the majority is 30+, that would be a huge change from just 5 years ago.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
    edited September 2015
    ejoslin wrote: »

2v1ry0z.gif

8m3wF5N.gif

Info I can find on the demographics of Simmers:

From 2010: "Our biggest demographic used to be teen girls," Humble said. "With 'The Sims 3,' we've seen that broaden a bit. It has aged upward, and clearly, it is a game that people are playing as they grow older." http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/gaming.gadgets/10/26/sims.anniversary/ (Doesn't say how much older, but "a bit")

And that's it. But if the majority is 30+, that would be a huge change from just 5 years ago.

I wonder. The majority of gamers are 30+, and the Sims has been around for 16 years. Gamers have gotten older but we haven't stopped gaming. I know while females are the majority of Simmers, they're not a huge majority. And most gaming forums I've been on -- many different games -- have a lot of sims players.

It's a mistake, ignoring current customers hoping to gain new ones. It's far easier to retain a customer than gain a new one.

Edit: Not a study, but I thought this was kind of cute. http://www.giantbomb.com/the-sims/3025-282/forums/do-men-play-the-sims-573323/ Guys wondering if other guys played Sims. I sometimes wonder if it was an assumption, that most of their players were teen girls. But I have known a LOT of gamers, male and female, and most have at least one iteration of the sims in their gaming library.

Another edit: I wonder if they have actual numbers on this. If they did, I'd also like to see it split between the various games, including console. I do find it a bit interesting that the best known modders are largely male -- though that may not be true for CC creators.

I have no clue on the actual numbers, though. My guess of a majority being 30+ may be off (just basing that on number of gamers overall and the age of the Sims series),
    edited September 2015
    Huh, according to this article, Rachel Franklin thinks that it's about 50/50 male/female sim players. That actually doesn't surprise me. And that would make me even less surprised if Sims actually followed the current overall gaming demographic. It certainly is a change from the 2010 article.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/gaming-no-longer-a-mans-world-1408464249
  • leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,062 Member
    Hey, if want talk about moral and what is correct, i had read here simmers than play the serie since younger than 13