Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

It's Been 1 Year

cale2003cale2003 Posts: 2,802 Member
So it's been almost 1 year since TS4 has released.

What do you think? Has the game gotten better, the same or worse? Share your opinions, I'm interested in what you guys have to say.
PC Specs:
Asus ROG GL753VE-BS71 17.3 inch
Intel Core i7 7700HQ 2.8-3.8GHz
16GB DDR4 RAM
128GB SSD
1TB 7200RPM HDD
NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1050 TI 4GB
6685561181.png
Rogers Ignite 70u internet

Comments

• Simfan923Simfan923 Posts: 5,551 Member
    TS4 was released September 2.
    1FKDfKj.png
  • cale2003cale2003 Posts: 2,802 Member
    Simfan923 wrote: »

Almost a year :D But it was released on the first Tuesday of September so it technically is.
    PC Specs:
    16GB DDR4 RAM
    128GB SSD
    1TB 7200RPM HDD
    6685561181.png
  • Simfan923Simfan923 Posts: 5,551 Member
    edited September 2015
    cale2003 wrote: »

Almost a year :D But it was released on the first Tuesday of September so it technically is.

Post edited by Simfan923 on
    1FKDfKj.png
  • cale2003cale2003 Posts: 2,802 Member
    cale2003 wrote: »

Not exactly.

I suppose :D But I'm just going to call it a year since its only a day away :D
    PC Specs:
    16GB DDR4 RAM
    128GB SSD
    1TB 7200RPM HDD
    6685561181.png
  • Prink34320Prink34320 Posts: 5,078 Member
    It's gotten better for me:

Positive:
    I've gotten more Careers
    New Hairstyles, Clothes and Objects that I used frequently and just love
    The mods in just the first year are incredible
    I found all the new gameplay released to be enjoyable
    The additions of Pools, Ghosts, Genealogy, Basements, Locked Doors, Newcrest and the Dishwasher have helped make the game better along with many of the bug and glitch fixes.
    Overall I think I like The Sims 4 even more than when it first released, Maxis are proving that they're listening to the fans, but of course not everyone will appreciate that, in fact allot of people refuse to accept that, but they're evidently trying and I'll be a supporter of The Sims 4 till the game's end.

Negative:
    They still haven't fixed the Incest and Culling bugs that appeared at the beginning of the year, so far I've been lucky as to not have any of my Sims culled or any of them start getting Romantic with family members but I don't really want that to be a possibility.
    Live your life to the fullest, don't wait for a miracle to happen, be the miracle to make things happen.
    Sometimes your creativity is limited where you use it most, but you can use those limitations to inspire new forms of creativity you may never have thought of beforehand.
  • BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Still the same with slight improvements
    giphy.gif

• LoveMcQueen5683LoveMcQueen5683 Posts: 3,689 Member
    It's improved only slightly with each patch but there are several issues that still need to be fixed.

Culling, toddlers, family play, more stuff for children and teens to do, less linear GP, ability to create more lot space.

The only problem is I don't see any of this coming even this year. They spent the first year giving us the smaller base game things that we wanted (locked doors, ghosts, pools, dishwashers, etc.) and all of those should have been there in the first place. Now we are at the point where all of the stuff we still need is really big and really "challenging" for them to make so it will take even more time to get that stuff in.

I'm not expecting anything but a few bug fixes in the next patch.
    LR3g0ni.jpg
  • MightydanMightydan Posts: 2,983 Member
    It's alright. I'm pretty curious about what's next.
  • azxcvbnm321azxcvbnm321 Posts: 532 Member
    It's gotten a lot better, but so much was missing in the first place that it's still no where near the base games of the other series. And if you add in the first two EPs, wow, the difference is stunning. Hopefully 2016 will be the last year of Sims 4 support. If Maxis is smart, they're already working on Sims 5, which means it could be released in 2018, yes 2017 would be a year without any new sims stuff.
  • LustianiciaLustianicia Posts: 2,489 Member
    There's no doubt that the game has gotten much better than when it was first released. But it still has awhile to go before it becomes anywhere near as good as Sims 2 or Sims 3. And with the "Get Together" expansion (game) pack coming out in a couple months, it doesn't seem like it'll get there anytime soon.
    Favorite Packs
    Sims 1: Hot Date
    Sims 2: Seasons
    Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff
    Sims 3: Seasons
    Sims 3: 70's, 80's, & 90's Stuff
    Sims 4: Seasons
    Sims 4: Paranormal Stuff
    Sims 4: Strangerville Game Pack

78MB6Gb.jpg
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    Patches have helped more than anything. Now all we need is patches with more bug fixes.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    The Sims 4 has already outsold the Sims 2 and Sims 3, as well as being #3 most played on Origin. o:)
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    In my opinion it has not got better the worlds are still small cant design them the way I want they have not even attempted to add features in for my type of playstyle. So far the patches have ignored features I want sure they added a basic a pool but no objects like a diving board slide or games to do in it and a dishwasher Sims do not care to use even if you make them the next time they go back to sink. So no for my game play style which is family play no family activities have been added I can say this year has done absolutely nothing to make me say Sims 4 is improving because its really not. To bad everything they add is just basic or broken 'cough' culling family trees.

Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    A few things have gotten better and I think the biggest improvement were the basements. Some improvements sadly have core issues attached to them like the culling effecting family trees and ghosts. But yeah even a year later, it is not even at par with the previous base games.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
    The Sims 4 has already outsold the Sims 2 and Sims 3, as well as being #3 most played on Origin. o:)

It's actually #2 where I live.
    Live your life to the fullest, don't wait for a miracle to happen, be the miracle to make things happen.
    Sometimes your creativity is limited where you use it most, but you can use those limitations to inspire new forms of creativity you may never have thought of beforehand.
  • sallonesallone Posts: 314 Member
    It got a few improvements such as basements and pools, but it got worse.

They made it clear that they can't add to existing worlds, and won't add toddlers any time soon.
    They also announced the new ep won't have a life state.
    Incest and culling are serious issues that should at least have gotten hotfixes.

So all and all the year was a year they proved the Sims 4 will never live up to its predecessors, not to mention the high expectation it got.
    It can be said that there were improvements, and sure there were. Still, the overall reputation of the game repeatedly was destroyed.
  • knazzerknazzer Posts: 3,382 Member
    They've added new content and patches etc which have been great, but the core gameplay as not been improved upon.
    edited September 2015
    aws200 wrote: »
    1. Culling
    2. Lackluster restrictive DLC
    3. No terrain tools
    4. No neighoborhood edit
    5. No toddlers
    6. No vehicles
    7. No swimming in water
    8. No diving board
    9. No CAST
    10. Closed off neighborhood (even just unlocking some lots without hitting a loading screen would've been better!)
    11. No aging options (how many days for each life stage)
    12. Flat world
    13. Peas mushed 'grass'
    14. Musical chairs
    15. Nosy Sims (that freaking group chat! >.<)
    16. Flawed emotion system
    17. Lifeless 'babies'
    18. 'Babies' restricted to the generic magically appearing getting in the way and have to switch households to move crib
    19. 'Babies' straight to kids
    20. Teens are the same height as adults and have no differences other than clothing choices and a bit of a higher voice
    21. Nothing to do in base game
    22. Nothing but Stuff Packs being released as an excuse to not fix the base game
    23. Dated graphics
    24. Low quality details (Even TS3 had better textures!)
    25. Single party lifestyle orientated
    26. Lack of family play
    27. Expansions are restrictive lackluster rehashed and barely functional missing many features/content from past expansions they're copying
    28. Relationships not lasting
    29. Sims always running around trying to keep every need at 100% full bar (it barely drops and they run for the toilet, then go eat the most expensive largest thing in the fridge, then go to the toilet again before bugging other Sims constantly to annoyance and then hiding in the darkness on their computers)
    30. Loading screen, loading screen, loading screen, loading screen (This The Sims or Loading Screen Simulator? I can't tell anymore)

I'll stop here I'm taking up most of the page because of the many flaws this 'game' has. If I listed them all it would take along time to load the page and require a lot of scrolling.

[*] Lackluster restrictive DLC - This is purely opinion, allot of people enjoy the DLC being released.
    [*] No terrain tools - Nope, at least we got a Paint Tool.
    [*] No vehicles - There are vehicles but Sims can't own them and there's no Carpools.
    [*] No swimming in water - Sims can swim in water - Pools.
    [*] No diving board - This was never included in The Sims 3 Base Game until the Seasons Patch, I guess not many people remember how long it was before Seasons came out.
    [*] Closed off neighborhood (even just unlocking some lots without hitting a loading screen would've been better!) - Agreed, however, it's more open than The Sims 2 lots but allot less open than The Sims 3.
    [*] No aging options (how many days for each life stage) - We do have aging options but we don't get to customise them as freely as The Sims 3 - it would make getting Achievements too easy and the overall point of the game would be avoidable.
    [*] Peas mushed 'grass' - Try with higher graphics.
    [*] Musical chairs - A bug that happens only for some people.
    [*] Nosy Sims (that freaking group chat! >.<) - Actually I agree, too much walking into conversations.
    [*] Flawed emotion system - 50/50, for me it's been working great for the stories I've made, same with other Simmers.
    [*] Lifeless 'babies' - They're not exactly lifeless, they're just restricted.
    [*] 'Babies' restricted to the generic magically appearing getting in the way and have to switch households to move crib - What?
    [*] 'Babies' straight to kids - You've kind of already said that by adding no Toddlers.
    [*] Teens are the same height as adults and have no differences other than clothing choices and a bit of a higher voice - they have different sizes, interactions and look younger also.
    [*] Nothing to do in base game - False, there is ample of stuff to do in the Base Game, you can say things are boring as that's an opinion but saying there's nothing just shows exaggeration.
    [*] Nothing but Stuff Packs being released as an excuse to not fix the base game - They're still fixing the Base Game, Stuff Packs are being released for new content, Game Packs and Expansion Packs are also being released apart from Stuff Packs.
    [*] Dated graphics - Not really, it's debatable that The Sims 4 has better graphics, definitely better if you compare the other games' low graphics to The Sims 4's.
    [*] Low quality details (Even TS3 had better textures!) - There's allot of detail in what they do if you stop to take a look, especially if your game uses high graphics settings.
    [*] Single party lifestyle orientated - Not really, there aren't that many parties or party-themed clothing, in fact Parties are usually played with multiple Sims which is what I do, and the only party-themed packs released is Luxury Party Stuff.
    [*] Lack of family play - This is evident, although past iterations of the game, excluding The Sims 2, have all shown a lack in family play.
    [*] Expansions are restrictive lackluster rehashed and barely functional missing many features/content from past expansions they're copying - Expansions let you do what they're meant to let you do, so what if they're rehashed? Do you not want Pets, Seasons, Supernatural or University in The Sims 4? If they stopped rehashing packs, they would have very few packs to add to the games, The Sims 2 and The Sims 3 both rehashed packs. If you're referring to the ONE Expansion Pack that has released - Get To Work - and how RETAIL stores don't let us make bakeries or restaurants.... well that's because it's a RETAIL store, not a bakery or a restaurant.... Retail Stores are made to sell objects, if that's not what you're referring to then I don't know what you mean. I don't see how Get To Work is missing any features from past Expansions? If you are referring to Open For Business - that EP added Businesses, not Active Careers and only Retail venues which Get To Work added.
    [*] Relationships not lasting - What do you mean? Relationships last a long time, decaying is not as bad as it was before, just like in real life, you grow apart from people if you stay away from them for too long.
    [*] Sims always running around trying to keep every need at 100% full bar (it barely drops and they run for the toilet, then go eat the most expensive largest thing in the fridge, then go to the toilet again before bugging other Sims constantly to annoyance and then hiding in the darkness on their computers) - ....ok then....? Never had that happen before, but hey when you need to go, you need to go ;)
    [*] Loading screen, loading screen, loading screen, loading screen (This The Sims or Loading Screen Simulator? I can't tell anymore) - Oh please, The Sims 3 had a way longer loading screen for getting to the menu, going into CAS, going into the World, saving and travelling to other worlds. As for The Sims 2, it's pretty much the same amount of loading as The Sims 4 but allot longer.
    Post edited by Prink34320 on
  • xitneverendssxitneverendss Posts: 1,772 Member
    Prink34320 wrote: »
    It's gotten better for me:

Positive:
    I've gotten more Careers
    New Hairstyles, Clothes and Objects that I used frequently and just love
    The mods in just the first year are incredible
    I found all the new gameplay released to be enjoyable
    The additions of Pools, Ghosts, Genealogy, Basements, Locked Doors, Newcrest and the Dishwasher have helped make the game better along with many of the bug and glitch fixes.
    Overall I think I like The Sims 4 even more than when it first released, Maxis are proving that they're listening to the fans, but of course not everyone will appreciate that, in fact allot of people refuse to accept that, but they're evidently trying and I'll be a supporter of The Sims 4 till the game's end.

Negative:
    They still haven't fixed the Incest and Culling bugs that appeared at the beginning of the year, so far I've been lucky as to not have any of my Sims culled or any of them start getting Romantic with family members but I don't really want that to be a possibility.

Technically culling isn't a bug. It was how the developers intended it to work. At first they didn't even acknowledge it was an issue.

But to answer the OP, the game had gotten better somewhat but there's still a lot to be desired.
  • knazzerknazzer Posts: 3,382 Member
    Positive

- The return of swimming pools, ghosts, bonus careers, basements etc in patches
    - The Game Packs have been great so far
    - The Patio stuff pack was a great little addon
    - Load screens visually have been improved, but could be a tad better (gives me migraines)

Negative

- Still need fix for culling
    - Incest glitch still happening
    - No toddlers
    - Correct teen height
    - Active careers can be boring and repetitive
    - The Retail side of Get to Work was a let down compared to OFB.
    - Glamour and Kitchen stuff packs felt half baked.
    - Communication with Simmers as disappeared.
  • CorkysPetalsCorkysPetals Posts: 1,400 Member
    I've been thinking about the 1st year of Sims 4 vs. the first year of Sims 3.

I like the looks of the sims in 4 vs. 3. Even though they are more cartoonish, I think we can make more interesting and individual looking sims in S4 (not counting the identical grimace smile they all have when they are happy.). 3 sims tended to have the same pudding faces. Sims 4 is a lot less glitchy than Sims 3. Beyond that, I can't think of anything I like better in Sims 4 than in Sims 3. I have never really liked the "emotions" of Sims 4

And on top of that, when I compare Sims 3 base game plus World Adventures and Ambitions to Sims 4 Outdoor Retreat, Get to Work and Spa day, the changes in Sims 3 seem to have been HUGE, whereas Sims 4 just had small improvements over the base game. Even though a lot of people didn't like the puzzle solving/mazes of WA, the amount of work that went into those worlds is amazing. And even though I was only able to get a few sims to Visa level 3, I loved getting vacation homes (and I'm still a little angry about how difficult that was.). Not to mention the cultural flavor added by the different countries, the nectar making, Sim Fu and snake charming. And new collectibles, plants and transfiguration. Ambitions introduced active jobs, skill based jobs, laundry, tattoos, AND a new world. I will admit that as far a gameplay goes, Get to Work is about equal with Ambitions. Outdoor retreat is sort of a watered down version Thee Lakes (from Sims 2) with none of the vacation getaway feel.

I'm playing Sims 4 now mainly because I've done it all in Sims 3, there aren't any surprises for me in that game. I don't think I'll ever get over how small sims 4 seems after Sims 3 (or even Sims 2). Maybe because I'm an older simmer I'm just not that interested in home based sim activities. I've lived many years at home already. I want my sims to do unusual things and things I haven't done, not do things I've done over and over for many years.

Actually, right now I have the urge to go windsurfing around some islands (although that was a much later addition).