Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Omni Plant Questions

My sims recently planted the omni plant seeds. I haven't used them in a very long time. I have a few questions:

Does anyone know about how long it takes for the omni plant to produce a harvest after being fed?

Does the plant produce just one harvest per feeding, or does it keep duplicating what you fed it until you feed it something different? I kind of remember needing to feed the plant after each harvest; but I could be remembering wrong.

I planted 3 omni seeds, which grew to plants, and fed then a roast, links, and tofu - one each. A day or two later there was no harvest and the Check Diet message said they needed to be fed. So I repeated the roast, links, and tofu. The next morning I get this message with the Check Diet option:

omnimessage_zpshtovqoua.jpg~original

Any ideas? I'm decided to re-feed them with an apple, lettuce, and a lobster to see what happens. At this point though, I'm not sure what's supposed to happen and I'm bothered by the Check Diet message and the lack on any harvest the first time I fed them.

Comments

• Options
    suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    I haven't planted any in a while, so not sure I remember everything, but I *think* they will usually be ready to harvest a day after feeding. Yes, you do have to re-feed them after each harvesting.

Something does indeed look buggy with that message. I think I remember they have to be mature before you feed them, but I don't think they give you the option to feed them before then anyway.
    Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    Maybe you can use DebugEnabler and force it to grow? I'm not sure if that would fix anything and it is cheating but it might help if it's glitched out.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    The growth state is mature, I haven't seen it at harvest.

DebugEnabler is a good idea, I'll try that if they don't go into harvest tomorrow morning. If that doesn't work I'll try moving them indoors.
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    Update? :)
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    No update yet. I play with Relativity at 18 (so half speed) which makes the in-game days long. And this family has 20 at the moment, so lots of pausing and queuing up. It's taking me forever to play, lol. Oh, and with so many sims I don't fast forward much since there's so much going on and my game doesn't take it very well with so many sims. I don't think I've gotten to the next morning yet.

I do have 2 new omni plant seeds. I was thinking of planting them indoors just to compare but I forgot to do that. I got sidetracked trying to get all the adults and teens to jam together, but couldn't. Apparently there's an 8 sim limit to jamming.
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    I didn't even know that more than 4 sims could jam. I'm gonna have to try this. Would think that NRaas Retuner could lift a limit like that, though can't vouch for what they would all sound like.

But I take it we are talking about musical jamming, not the canning station's jars of food kind. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    Yes, the musical jamming. I had one drummer and 7 sims on guitar. Any more after that and the option to Join Jam just wasn't there. I thought about looking at Retuner, but haven't gotten around to that. I thought there might be a limit to the game's ability to sync sims at different guitar levels into the jam music; but who knows.

As for the omni plants: the next day there wasn't anything to harvest, so I tried to advance one to the next stage via DebugEnabler. That worked to put it into the harvest state with the appropriate food (lettuce in this case). My sim got 2 more omni seeds which I planted indoors in the planters. I was going to leave everything at that point and see what happens the next day, but stepped away from the computer to get something to drink and there was a power fluctuation in my area - I saw the lights dim for a second - and when I returned the computer had rebooted. So...on launching that save again I didn't use DE and am just going to let the plants go another day and see what happens.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Update: Over 2 more days the 3 original plants never went to harvest. So, I used DE to force them into the harvest state, harvested them, and moved them indoors into planters.

I also had my sim buy more seeds twice (which gave him 2 seeds each time). The first set I planted indoors. The 2nd set I planted outdoors. All four plants had matured by the time I decided to move the 3 original plants indoors. I decided to move the remaining plants (from the 2nd mailbox purchase which were outdoors) indoors too.

Then I fed all 7 plants either honey or a rainbow trout. The next day the 4 newest plants had progressed into the harvest state just fine. The 3 original plants had not, so I used DE on those again.

I don't know what I'll do. Maybe I'll just dispose of the 3 original ones since they seem bugged. Or give them another day or so indoors. Or I could try putting them under the Swift-Gro Gardening Station (which forces plants to update twice a day).

But in general I'm not quite sure what to do with the omni plants. I had thought they could provide perfect quality roasts, links, and tofu. But I was wrong about that. Then I thought I'd use them to duplicate perfect fish, but I just had a angler teen age up and I just might as well have him enroll in the NRaas home schooled program and spend his days fishing. Perhaps I'll duplicate a bunch of skill books and send everyone to the library for a few days to cram cooking and handiness or something. Or maybe I'll try duplicating enough pumpkins in time for Spooky Day so the whole family (20 sims) can each carve a pumpkin.
  • Options
    IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    That's definitely a glitch, because the omni plants are supposed to be harvest ready the day after they're planted. Then you have to feed them again to get another harvest.

I do use them to grow tofu, links, and roasts, so they don't have to buy those from the store, but yeah, you only get identical quality as what you planted, so no raising the quality. I don't ever bother feeding them anything my sims can grow directly though. When I had a gardener married to an angler, once he caught robot fish, I had her grow robot fish on her omni plants, and she she made a killing on those.
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    FYI, one of the many recent cooking related mods from various developers at MTS, probably the overhaul by Cinderellimouse (not near enough to my game to double-check), opens up its master Ingredients XML for easy adjustments in S3PE. I've managed to make tofu plantable, and assume this could be done with links and roasts as well if one really wanted to. This allows the homegrown tofu to advance in quality with each planting and harvest as per the skill level and experience of the gardener like most any other crop. Haven't given any of them enough time to progress to Perfect tofu yet, but they are on their way at least.

It's still ridiculous to see cakes of tofu rather than soybeans growing on a plant, but my vegetarian sims (and their player) are very happy to work with better than store quality in all those recipes that call for it. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Thanks, both of you. I'll look at the cooking mods at MTS and see what I can find. I always thought it odd we can grow steaks but not roasts or links or tofu.

edit: found it, but it looks like the mod requires Pets, which I don't have.
    Post edited by TreyNutz on