April 19 - We just released a small patch for The Sims 4 on PC/Mac - click here for more details.
April 11 - Outdoor fun for a Stuff Pack? Take a look at our giveaway!

The Sims 2 Windows 7-10 Fixes

12345679...Next

Comments

  • JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,486 Member
    Jazxi wrote: »
    I really appreciate your help, but alas even cleaning the registry using CCleaner and manually has refused to change the resolution, I dont recall even touching it to begin with so I am as confused as you are haha
    I think this just means I'll have to return to the Sims 3 since I also am at loss on what to do, I have a better laptop now so it should run without it's usual slowness/lag.
    Again thanks alot for your help, you are a good person for trying to fix this seemingly impossible issue and I wish you all the best! :D

    Sorry it didn't work. :/ That is very strange, I can't imagine what you changed to have it do that. I hope Sims 3 runs without giving you any issues.
  • quantumgeek333quantumgeek333 Posts: 5 New Member
    Hi everyone! I've been having issues trying to have TS2 run full-screen on my laptop. Currently, it's running at an awful 320 x 200 (the only option listed in game)--I've only ever been able to run the game in windowed mode (with the -w extension added to the shortcut target). I've tried using the Graphics Rules Maker download (with and without -w added to target), but nothing's changed. I even tried going directly into Graphics Rules.srg and overriding all of the figures with the height and width of my laptop's resolution--no luck. (Although I after I removed the -w from the target and tried out the game with the edited graphics rules file, I did get a different error saying that a security module failed to activate, which at least indicates something changed.) Any tips?

    If it helps, there's no CC and I have all of the expansion packs plus a few stuff packs installed--I tried overriding the files in the folder for Apartment Life since that's my latest expansion pack.
  • quantumgeek333quantumgeek333 Posts: 5 New Member
    Whoops--forgot to say that I'm running Windows 10 and using the game disc.
  • keanisims2keanisims2 Posts: 22 Member
    I'm getting a few graphical glitches here and there, but nothing too major thankfully. Luckily my CC still shows up too.
    giphy.gif
  • StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 5,088 Member
    edited January 14
    Whoops--forgot to say that I'm running Windows 10 and using the game disc.

    @quantumgeek333, You definitely want to use the graphics rules maker download because there is no way the default files that come with the game are going to work on any modern hardware. You indicated you tried that with no luck, but based on what you are describing, it sounds like you did something wrong. your problem is what happens if the graphicsrules files are NOT updated.

    I recommend you take the following steps:
    1. Try using the graphics rules maker again and follow the instructions carefully. https://www.simsnetwork.com/tools/graphics-rules-maker
    2. Make sure it is pointing to the correct directories. For the Ultimate collection, that would be the Fun With Pets/EP4 ones but if you are running from discs, as you indicate, that may not be the correct path. Confirm the folder path that your game is actually launching from and make sure that is the one you use when running graphics rules maker.
    3. Verify that the graphics rule maker created NEW files for both graphicsrules.sgr AND video Cards.sgr file.
    4. Also make sure you copy the graphic rules and video card files from the Config folder into the CSConfig folder. You need them in both places.

    If you aren't sure how to make sure the directories are right in step 2...just copy the two files to every single Config and CSConfig folder for every EP you have installed. They are guaranteed to be in the right directory if you put it in all of them.

    Good luck!
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    tumblr_nasnc4uUHi1tkpp11o1_500.png
    The Winters family Chronicle
  • quantumgeek333quantumgeek333 Posts: 5 New Member
    @Stormkeep Thanks so much! I’ll check the directories and copy to both CSConfig and Config this time (I forgot about that). I’ll let you know how it goes!
  • BessiebooBessieboo Posts: 169 Member
    Hi, Im playing on windows 7 and had compatability issues but it seems to be ok since i patched them and installed a couple of expansion packs but the screen is still flickering. I have been looking at installing the graphics-rule-maker but I can only see how to do it with sims 2 ultimate collection and Im playing the disc version. Can it still be installed with the discs.
  • MilkykouMilkykou Posts: 4 New Member
    I cant seem to get the game itself to run unless i add to the desktop shortcut -w -width 1600 -height 1200 however it will reconize the -w but after that it will set itself to a tiny resolution and i can not adjust anything afterwards not even the size of the window. Its strange as before i did a full OS reinstall on the same hardware the game ran fine and i didnt even have to put it in window mode now i have to in order for it to work.

    If i try running the game normally itll black screen launch then instant crash on task manager. forcing my screen to 800x600 and almost breaking the monitor to where i have to force quit it. I even used the graphics ruler maker and it did not seem to fix the issue. What can i do to get this game working again? I love this game and still want to play it.

    Its the digital version from origin

    Amd ryzen 2600 cpu
    Rx580 gpu
    16gb ram

    windows 10 pro

    if anything else is needed please let me know.
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 35,423 Member
    @Milkykou wrote: »
    I cant seem to get the game itself to run unless i add to the desktop shortcut -w -width 1600 -height 1200 however it will reconize the -w but after that it will set itself to a tiny resolution and i can not adjust anything afterwards not even the size of the window. Its strange as before i did a full OS reinstall on the same hardware the game ran fine and i didnt even have to put it in window mode now i have to in order for it to work.

    If i try running the game normally itll black screen launch then instant crash on task manager. forcing my screen to 800x600 and almost breaking the monitor to where i have to force quit it. I even used the graphics ruler maker and it did not seem to fix the issue. What can i do to get this game working again? I love this game and still want to play it.

    Its the digital version from origin

    Amd ryzen 2600 cpu
    Rx580 gpu
    16gb ram

    windows 10 pro

    if anything else is needed please let me know.

    Hi :)

    What have you tried to fix the issue? Have you read any of this topic?
  • MilkykouMilkykou Posts: 4 New Member
    > @Rflong7 said:
    > @Milkykou wrote: »
    >
    > I cant seem to get the game itself to run unless i add to the desktop shortcut -w -width 1600 -height 1200 however it will reconize the -w but after that it will set itself to a tiny resolution and i can not adjust anything afterwards not even the size of the window. Its strange as before i did a full OS reinstall on the same hardware the game ran fine and i didnt even have to put it in window mode now i have to in order for it to work.
    >
    > If i try running the game normally itll black screen launch then instant crash on task manager. forcing my screen to 800x600 and almost breaking the monitor to where i have to force quit it. I even used the graphics ruler maker and it did not seem to fix the issue. What can i do to get this game working again? I love this game and still want to play it.
    >
    > Its the digital version from origin
    >
    > Amd ryzen 2600 cpu
    > Rx580 gpu
    > 16gb ram
    >
    > windows 10 pro
    >
    > if anything else is needed please let me know.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Hi :)
    >
    > What have you tried to fix the issue? Have you read any of this topic?

    Hello, I have tried running in compatibility mode windows 7 and even xp, removed securerom, used the graphics ruler fix program, run as admin, uninstalled reinstalled on a different drive, added -w -width 1600 -height 1200 to the end of the desktop program (which did work at a 800x600 resolution buit not at the 1600) gone into the graphics rules file to manually update the maxreswidth and height to my monitor demensions and saved manually, manually added my graphics card to the list of known cards, none of this has worked.

    Now i can get it to run fine in window mode (in fact for some reason now its finally accepting the custom window resolution (though half the time it comes up with an error message saying can not find compatible direct x 9c terminating) but im still really wanting to play this game in either borderless or well full screen if im to wait 10+ minutes for the game to start just to get it to launch in window mode i guess im contempt but im just curious why its doing this now when it didnt before on windows 10.
  • MilkykouMilkykou Posts: 4 New Member
    Failed to find any Directx 9.0c compatible graphics adapters in this system. Terminating application is now what it is saying which is strange cause i got it to work for about 10 minutes then it just started doing this. Not sure whats going on and i cant seem to add pics in the forums showing.
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 35,423 Member
    edited March 14
    @Milkykou wrote: »
    Failed to find any Directx 9.0c compatible graphics adapters in this system. Terminating application is now what it is saying which is strange cause i got it to work for about 10 minutes then it just started doing this. Not sure whats going on and i cant seem to add pics in the forums showing.

    Okay, I run the game in Window mode and it's fine. If I were you and you Can run it in Window mode, do it.

    Another thing, do you have it set to run as Administrator when you start it?

    If you set the config settings to run in large size it might still start in the smaller screen meaning it doesn't see your computer as good enough.
    Have you been in the game long enough to see if the option to set the screen to your larger size?

    *You're a New Member and can't post links/pictures yet.

    This is my settings for screen size.
    CAvT31e.jpg
  • MilkykouMilkykou Posts: 4 New Member
    only until the last few hours ago was i even able to see those options, before it only gave the default 800x600 no other. idk what i did differently but its working now sort of. If the game crashes or i exit it might take up to an hour before it starts again cause itll give me that terminate error or the graphics rules resets to the default for some reason even if i try to set it as read only it resets. Not sure whats going on with that.
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 35,423 Member
    @Milkykou wrote: »
    only until the last few hours ago was i even able to see those options, before it only gave the default 800x600 no other. idk what i did differently but its working now sort of. If the game crashes or i exit it might take up to an hour before it starts again cause itll give me that terminate error or the graphics rules resets to the default for some reason even if i try to set it as read only it resets. Not sure whats going on with that.

    If the game crashes you should delete the cache files (in The Sims 2 UC folder) and the crash logs (in the Logs folder).

    How long between restarting? Do you have a cleaner program which might clean your registry files?
  • JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,486 Member
    Bessieboo wrote: »
    Hi, Im playing on windows 7 and had compatability issues but it seems to be ok since i patched them and installed a couple of expansion packs but the screen is still flickering. I have been looking at installing the graphics-rule-maker but I can only see how to do it with sims 2 ultimate collection and Im playing the disc version. Can it still be installed with the discs.

    You can change the graphic rules and video card files by hand. It is not hard. Instructions here: http://simlili.tumblr.com/post/146373494212 Same instructions apply no matter your version of Windows. You should make a copy of your original files and keep them somewhere safe ( like the desk top) before making any changes. You can make the changes in each pack you have. (copy one you altered and then paste it into each expansion pack) If Mansions and Gardens is your last pack, make the changes in that pack also, for some reason the game reads it as a expansion not stuff pack.

    Milkykou wrote: »
    Failed to find any Directx 9.0c compatible graphics adapters in this system. Terminating application is now what it is saying which is strange cause i got it to work for about 10 minutes then it just started doing this. Not sure what's going on and i cant seem to add pics in the forums showing.

    This is the error it gives if it is not reading your graphics card. Do you have duo cards? Make sure the game is trying to read the correct one. Some people have to reset that every time they play, because for some reason the game tries to switch cards.

  • BessiebooBessieboo Posts: 169 Member
    JULES1111 wrote: »
    Bessieboo wrote: »
    Hi, Im playing on windows 7 and had compatability issues but it seems to be ok since i patched them and installed a couple of expansion packs but the screen is still flickering. I have been looking at installing the graphics-rule-maker but I can only see how to do it with sims 2 ultimate collection and Im playing the disc version. Can it still be installed with the discs.

    You can change the graphic rules and video card files by hand. It is not hard. Instructions here: http://simlili.tumblr.com/post/146373494212 Same instructions apply no matter your version of Windows. You should make a copy of your original files and keep them somewhere safe ( like the desk top) before making any changes. You can make the changes in each pack you have. (copy one you altered and then paste it into each expansion pack) If Mansions and Gardens is your last pack, make the changes in that pack also, for some reason the game reads it as a expansion not stuff pack.

    Milkykou wrote: »
    Failed to find any Directx 9.0c compatible graphics adapters in this system. Terminating application is now what it is saying which is strange cause i got it to work for about 10 minutes then it just started doing this. Not sure what's going on and i cant seem to add pics in the forums showing.

    This is the error it gives if it is not reading your graphics card. Do you have duo cards? Make sure the game is trying to read the correct one. Some people have to reset that every time they play, because for some reason the game tries to switch cards.

    Thank you for the advice. :)
  • SimSweetySimSweety Posts: 42 Member
    I have the sims 2 ultimate collection and it was running fine, but for some reason one day when I tried to start it, it would be stuck on the blue screen (not the blue screen of death) I also tried deleting those 2 cache files but that did not work I tried taking my mods out to but did not help.
  • SimSweetySimSweety Posts: 42 Member
    Sorry for double posting but I fixed it for some reason razor cortex was causing the problem and I had to uninstall it.
  • KardinaalilintuKardinaalilintu Posts: 1 New Member
    I have the same issue as Milkykou. The game runs fine (minus the flickering graphics etc.) before I instal GRM. After that, it only gives me the error message "Failed to find any DirectX 9.0c compatible graphics adapters in this system! Please make sure you have a DirectX 9.0c compatible graphics adapter and have installed the latest drivers provided by the manufacturer. The application will now terminate."

    If the issue is truly from the game not reading the correct graphics card (I don't know if I have double or not...), then how do you determine on which graphics card it should read from?
  • JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,486 Member
    edited March 20
    I have the same issue as Milkykou. The game runs fine (minus the flickering graphics etc.) before I instal GRM. After that, it only gives me the error message "Failed to find any DirectX 9.0c compatible graphics adapters in this system! Please make sure you have a DirectX 9.0c compatible graphics adapter and have installed the latest drivers provided by the manufacturer. The application will now terminate."

    If the issue is truly from the game not reading the correct graphics card (I don't know if I have double or not...), then how do you determine on which graphics card it should read from?

    The graphic rules maker does not work with "newer" graphics cards. I use that term lightly because we have noticed issues with GTX960 and above, so it is possible it just didn't work for you. Follow the instructions in my previous post (link included) to edit your files by hand. Just make sure to make a back-up of your graphic rules and video card files before altering, just in case.

    First check to see if you do have duo cards. You can check it in Device Manager, expand Display Adapters then you'll see if you have 2 GPU's. Normally, you'll get both Intel and Nvidia or AMD as your GPU if you have 2. If you do have duo cards, follow the instructions here to select a card. ( Instructions are for Nvidia, I assume other cards would be kinda similar. )


    http://modthesims.info/t/481768


    Edit to add once you get your graphics card recognized, go into game options and make sure smooth edges is turned all the way to high. That will take care of any flickering in the graphics. :)
  • FedererN1FedererN1 Posts: 1 New Member
    Hi everyone!

    I've got Windows 10 PRO - 64 Bits

    I installed The Sims 2 (Base game, 0 expansions, patchs and stuff packs), the version with Safedisk-SecuROM..

    The game works fine (I apply the GRM to play at 1080p), but the openning of the "sims2.exe" it's really slow. I always have to wait 5 or 10 minutes, then the game finally open. The .exe process runs, but the game only after 5 o 10 minutes.

    Some kind of fix? I don't find this kind of trouble anywhere, i can't believe it.
  • BleepbloopBleepbloop Posts: 10 New Member
    Hey everyone! (I can’t believe I’ve been coming to this site at least twice a day for two years and I still can’t make my own thread :( )

    I’m having an issue with my TS2 UC game playing on my dell 5570 Inspiron laptop with Windows 10 (intel graphics card 620). Everything was fine until I ran windows updates last week, and I was back to bad graphics, stuck in 800x600, etc. I re-ran graphics fix, and I thought everything was back to normal. However now I’m experiencing significant lag going in and out of live mode, and constant stuttering and freezing whenever there is rain or snow on the lot (and especially if it’s actively raining or snowing).

    I play with very minimal cc and three mods (hacked computer, shadows fix, and sim blender) and the problem persists even when I remove my downloads folder.
    Most tutorials and advice I’ve found addresses crashing, which I’ve luckily avoided, but this kind of game freezing is so frustrating. Any ideas what may be causing this issue?
    Thanks in advance!
  • WarGreymon77WarGreymon77 Posts: 64 Member
    edited April 19
    I followed this guide, but the max resolution is 1600xSomething, despite my monitor being native 1080p. It's not that bad, though. Resolution has never been a big deal to me.
    http://www.plum/mybb/showthread.php?tid=6883

    Bleepbloop, you may be having the lagging issue described in post #2 of the link I posted.
12345679...Next
Sign In or Register to comment.
Return to top