Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Caldey Isle, now has over 2000 downloads!

Comments

• sharonxyzsharonxyz Posts: 811 Member
    Gorgeous photos, Stella! A whole year in sim time? That seems like an eternity to me, I'm a very methodical, controlling 'sim god' and pause, build, and edit get more 'air time' than live play. I just want my little peeps to have perfect lives. My own odd approach I know. I like my game not freezing and keeping details fairly high, so I keep my world forever in Spring, sixty-eight degrees farenheit, no precipitation. Again, my OCD has a safe outlet :D So dear Stella, do share your masterpiece asap, I for one am thrilled to play it and don't sweat the tombs. Having them doable is fun and you seem to put some kind of tomb device in every lot, houses included. I love your detail, how you pack so much into small houses without them feeling small, and my sims live forever, only aging during child rearing. So they learn, and never stop learning. When they get jaded from being spoiled, I get mad at them, but quickly get over it as it is my own fault and then I find away to yield a new control over their life in a constructive way, often resulting in a more enlightened sim. Or i'll change traits or remove lifetime rewards. All with much thought and concern over their well-being. I'm an odd player, but don't let that stop me from playing your world. I LIVE for unique worlds, my favorite being historic mostly medieval, and my computer favors the smaller ones. This simmer would be thrilled to play Caldey Island and give as little or much feedback as you'd like.

n.b. I wonder if I"m the only one who 'collects' tombs. If I can solve it in one session, I do so, but I know of a half dozen that are utter works of art and I just admire them sometimes. Accessibility makes playing a ball; extreme challenge makes a wonderful museum visit :) ...but some day I'll do them all....right?
  • Gaxili1Gaxili1 Posts: 212 Member
    It looks marvelous Stella :blush::blush: Can't wait to try it!
  • PalmArrowPalmArrow Posts: 4,329 Member
    @StellaToronto , your world looks amazingly beautiful!
  • ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    edited September 2015
    My pirate community will totally be loving their lives here, when it's released :D<3

Eta - How long do you think it will be Stella? Not pushing, just curious and excited. And even more excited that I have a Sims 3 world to be excited over! It seems such a long time....
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Starsaphire2Starsaphire2 Posts: 315 Member
    Love the pictures and the pursuit of the Moby Kracken! Really looking forward to checking out the tombs and creating a new sim, with a new story, to go with this lovely world.
  • StellaTorontoStellaToronto Posts: 2,123 Member
    edited September 2015
    @sharonxyz thank you for being a patient tester. Your kind words & feedback help me make my world even better.

@Gaxili1, @PalmArrow thank you both for your encouragement XO

Hi @Pary . I'm glad you're so enthusiastic about the upcoming release of my world.
    Once I get Caldey exported for testing I'd like to give testers a chance to play it for a while, get a good look around, give feedback, then make the necessary changes before I'll do a general release of finished world.
    A month is a very optimistic estimate of a general release.
    If you'd like to get your hands on Caldey sooner....... you could always be a tester :)
    I'm really pushing to get things packaged up for testing next week.
    Another tester is always appreciated.

Hi Starsaphire2. The search for the Kracke continues. I'm thinking of moving my Sims to a houseboat.
    Maybe that'll up my chances of finding it :)
    I love playing & building tombs so much.
    Getting them to work & testing them is stressful, but I love the feeling when it all comes together.
    On Caldey I've tried to make my tomb lots as versatile as possible.
    Even when you've solved a tomb or you don't want to explore; the lot still has plenty to see & do while you're there.

I have a few more pics of Caldey to post soon.
    stellatorontosims.tumblr.com
    Certainly, I would love to help you test it :)
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
    Great Pary, glad to have you on board to test my little island. Keep an eye on this thread for progress.
    I'll provide my contact email & testing requirements/goals/additional info with world package.
    There are a few residential lots that could use help with furnishing/decorating.
    I'm all CAS'd out & the limitations of using just EP content has become challenging.
    Fresh ideas & creativity would be a big help. :)
    I've been procrastinating as usual :*
    Instead of finish what I've started, I completely rebuilt one of the tombs.
    The Abandoned Mine is now the working mine, Trenear.
    TrenearMineSurface_zps1jgonjhq.jpg
    This unassuming surface structure is now the facade for a 2 part/3 sublevel tomb.
    TrenearMineLower_zpstwgdnsiq.jpg
    This picture hasn't given anything away. It shows only early progress. All the big surprises are still to be discovered. *Spoiler: There will be flooding in the lower levels ;)
    I still searching for my Moby Kracken,
    Searching%20for%20Kracken_zpshvoza0lz.jpg
    Sailing%20into%20FallsBay_zpsxst8qcle.jpg
    but sent another tester out to look this time. I was starting to feel sorry for my other test sailor.
    I sent him to do another run at the Lighthouse Rock tomb instead.
    Top%20of%20Lighthouse_zpshy1pzfpe.jpg

Kracken! Caldey's waters will support this elusive creature!
    After having no luck trolling passively around the island; I was forced to more desperate measures.
    I sent 2 of my sims out to Lighthouse Rock in a storm.
    I got the Release the Kracken reward.
    Then had one Sim set the creature on the other ones boat. Apparently you need to have a negative relationship with your victim for it to work.
    Voila! Moby Kracken makes an appearance :smiley:
    Kracken%20first%20sighting_zpsj3rwebsh.jpg
    Unfortunately I lost my sailboat in the process. The tester household can afford a replacement with all the loot they've picked up from tomb testing.
    Kracken%20takes%20boat_zpsxqbydiat.jpg
    The last part of the Kracken encounter was quite bizarre.
    I've never had a boat destroyed by this critter before. Is this normal?
    Not%20normal%20Kracken%20behavior_zpsv3ntfson.jpg
    I can put my worries of Caldey Kracken to rest. Despite the odd final salute.
    Kracken will terrorize future inhabitants of Caldey Isle ;)
  • flstriderflstrider Posts: 1,912 Member
    @StellaToronto everything is looking awesome! If you do not mind could you send me the source link? do you remember which world it is from I may already have it downloaded. I was thinking about lightening it up a bit for one of my worlds
    My World's thread linked in Sig
    NewSig.jpg

• kdluvshersimskdluvshersims Posts: 291 Member
    Stella, your world is looking amazing! Your attention to detail is definitely showing! Grats on confirmation of the Kraken :)
    Hi flstrider. I'm happy to pass on the grass texture used on Caldey I. It's 1024x1024.
    You probably already have a version of it in your user terrain files.
    If you're like me, you have hundreds of them (mostly without thumbnails) :/
    This is my mediafire link
    Dk_GrassCaldey_zpsw56ffnqu.png

@kdluvshersims.
    My "attention to detail" is kinda boardering on OCD.
    With Caldey Isle I'm determined to share it, despite the nagging feeling that more should/could be done to make it better.
    Thank you for your encouragement.
    Getting the Kracken to show in world was a giddy relief.
    I grew up on the island of Newfoundland.
    Since my dad studied marine animals, he thought I'd enjoy seeing a giant squid that had washed ashore during a storm.
    It was a ragged mess, but there was no denying that it was very big.
    I was fascinated, repulsed & terrified.
    After that, whenever I've been on a boat far out to sea, I imagine that a giant squid lurks below in the murky water :/
    Today I faced the Kracken & live to tell the tale. Yaaah! Happy dance.
  • kdluvshersimskdluvshersims Posts: 291 Member
    @StellaToronto - I completely understand about the OCD part. Your world does look pretty awesome. As for the story about your childhood, It sounds fascinating and pretty interesting. Congratulations for not letting it stop you from ever going out on a boat.

As for your world, I have a question. What about alien abductions? Any testers have any issues with them? I'm really interested in downloading this world when you are ready for final release. I haven't played a road-less world before and I'm looking forward to trying this one. :)
    @kdluvshersims- Aliens do visit the island on occasion, but since there are no roads the alien spaceship can't be used. A couple days ago I noticed the alien lights in the sky, went to investigate & found an alien sailing from one coastal lot to another.
    It ended up hanging out at Port Merry bell for a while.
    Without their spaceships, aliens don't pose much of a threat to island inhabitants :)
    The tomb sneak preview looks amazing! I am so looking forward to playing Caldey Isle! I had never seen a kraken before, and your pictures show me what I''ve been missing...great fear. I'm going to be cheating lifetime points to get 'friend of the kraken' just like I do get 'fireproof homestead' :smiley
    AMAZING pictures of Moby Kracken! Love the final salute shot with the tiny sim treading water next to the monster. :D

I hadn't thought much about it, but it's interesting how our parent's careers adds a hand in shaping our lives. My dad was a contractor and built houses....maybe that's one reason for my fascination with creating and remodeling sim houses.

Hmm, perhaps my founder will be a fisher-sim, who eventually ends up lost in one of the tombs (kind of seems fitting). Second generation sim will be driven to explore the local tombs. My legacy is shaping up nicely on paper. Thanks for sharing your vision and hard work!
    Hi Starsaphire2. I'm amazed & flattered you've already thought about the backstory for your Legacy playing Caldey Isle.
    I remade the Odd Curiosity Shop for Caldey Isle to expand the story of greed, murdered & a buried body in the cellar.
    The mine would be a perfect place for an unfortunate end. A Sim could get trapped/buried down a narrow tunnel or drown in the flooded lower levels.
    Your story gives me something to think about; I thought a take urn to cemetery angle for The Odd Shop would be a nice touch.
    Maybe your Caldey heir needs to retrieve his fathers remains for a proper burial instead :)
    I'll need to go back to France to study the Museum Curator quest.
    Hi, just wondering if you were still planning on your testers test Caldey Isle this week? I'm looking forward to it and want to make sure I allow time for doing a good job for you in a timely fashion. Thank you in advance!
    Hi sharonxyz. Sorry for being MIA. :/
    I'm still hoping to get Caldey upload for you testers before this weekend.
    The world looks & runs fine in it's present state, but there's always more to do.
    I'll have to remove 3 or 4 of the lots that I'm still testing/working on from the beta. Once I'm done I'll upload to be added to testing.
    When it comes to how long for testing; I have no particular timeline. I've been running the current incarnation of Caldey I for a month my time (1 1/2 years Sims time/20 day seasons)
    I want testers to have fun exploring & playing in world before concentrating on the mechanics of testing.
    Looking for lot tears, floating tiles, unpainted ceilings, spawner yield, routing fails, object clipping & the like is a bit tedious. You got to mix it up by just living & playing the world.
    After months building & playing Caldey, I'm still not fixed on a backstory for this little world.
    Testers impressions, ideas & input would help me a lot to add more nuance to the finished world.
    I'm REALLY looking forward to it :D
    Congrats on the Kracken by the way!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    I ♡ Pudding
    The mine would be a perfect place for an unfortunate end. A Sim could get trapped/buried down a narrow tunnel or drown in the flooded lower levels and "the take urn to cemetery angle for The Odd Shop" would be a nice touch. Great idea!

Maybe your Caldey heir needs to retrieve his fathers remains for a proper burial instead :) I'm in!

I volunteer for story testing (it's definitely my thing) and I'll make note of any problems or floating trees. My legacy founder will be washed ashore, penniless, with a whammy of a headache, resulting in the dreaded soap-opera form of amnesia. There will be plenty of time for him to build up his homestead, find a wife and create an heir before meeting Grim at the bottom of Kracken Oar Mine. :D
    edited September 2015
    Great to have you on board Starsaphire2. You can get your hands on Caldey along with the other testers :)
    I'm in CAW right now fixing lot tears, nailing down trees, & adding more resource spawners.
    Soon my pretties ;)

Edit: Caldey is an easy place for a Sim to start from nothing. Most of the com. lots have excellent accommodation for transients & there are plenty of resources available to build up a nest egg.
    The tombs are another lucrative place to make ones fortune, but as the story will go....not without it's perils.
  • BatshebaBatsheba Posts: 44 Member
    Great news Stella! I have created new sims to test this world with, so exited!
    Hi Batsheba. Can't wait to see all the tester Sims living on Caldey Isle.
    I've been beavering away in CAW the past 2 nights. I've been flattening & fixed lot tears, terrain painting, pinned down floating shrubbery, added more resource spawners & I've saved all the lots to the bin. Tonight I'll go EIG & add all the built lots back in. Once the lots are back in that should be it for now. Then I'll upload for you all to have a go at it, warts & all ;)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top