Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Very slow loading screens

Hi,

When there is a loading screen in my game, it usally takes about 2 minutes.
But I've just read that it should only take 10-15 seconds. How can I fix this?

Comments

• Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    edited August 2015
    It all depends on your computer's specs... (Mine is only 2-3 seconds)

Could you post your DxDiag?
    http://help.ea.com/en/article/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/
    If it does not fit, split it up into multiple posts. :)
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • jonilla1jonilla1 Posts: 1,120 Member
    My download time got longer after i installed the Cool Kitchen stuff. It took 10 - 15 seconds before but now it takes about 30 - 40 seconds to load.
    I bought a new computer that is more powerful than my old laptop and the loading time is not any shorter, it takes about 20 - 30 seconds to load :/
    Origin EA ID: Xaldin257 Friend requests are welcome.

Some of my creations in the gallery use CC so remember to enable them in the gallery's options to see them all.
  • BromsiekatBromsiekat Posts: 96 Member
    edited August 2015
    Post edited by Bromsiekat on
    Post the rest of it. :)
    edited August 2015
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,553 Member
    edited August 2015
    Bromsiekat wrote: »
    Hi,

When there is a loading screen in my game, it usally takes about 2 minutes.
    But I've just read that it should only take 10-15 seconds. How can I fix this?

Do you have any mods or CC? How big is you saved game file? You can check this in your saves folder under your Electronic Arts folder.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    Do you have any mods? My loading screens were like 5 seconds without mods.

But after having the no culling mod, they are like 30 seconds.
    I don't have any mods or CC.

But I just checked my save files, and there are a lot of them. Can I delete the older ones?
    edited August 2015
    I don't have any mods or CC.

But I just checked my save files, and there are a lot of them. Can I delete the older ones?

Depends. If you have only one saved game in your game right now, you can delete the rest that ARE NOT the same date as the one you have now. One complete saved game has a few different slots, so you should not delete the slots to your current saved game. Just delete those outdated ones. However, this will not really decrease your loading time, but you can try.

You have to check the size of your current saved file. Is it more than 40MB?

Also, if you sim has a lot of things in his inventory or fridge, you have to remove them or take them out.
    832XG3D.gif
  • MightydanMightydan Posts: 2,983 Member
    I often play in my crappy laptop and loading screens take about 10-15 seconds. 2 minutes is ridiculous, maybe try repairing your game.
  • NZsimm3rNZsimm3r Posts: 9,265 Member
    The bigger your game file the longer the loading/travelling screens. My dynasty file (playing gen 7 now with a huge house and like a million items on the lot, well not quite but you get my meaning) takes about two mins to load whereas all my other game files load in seconds.
    I'm a girl who likes to play with boys, what can I say... o:)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • Ponder the SimPonder the Sim Posts: 3,054 Member
    Yup ^

My load screen times depend on the clutter on the lot.
    Yup ^

That and the million thousand items in the sims inventories! *sigh* *dreams of storage cupboards*

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
    NZsimm3r wrote: »
    Yup ^

That and the million thousand items in the sims inventories! *sigh* *dreams of storage cupboards*

You mean like a storage cupboard that works like a fridge (where you can 'drag' inventory items and 'open' it)? If it works like the fridge, it will not solve the problem of the long loading screens since any type of inventory storage will cause a lag or even glitches/crashes.

Physical storage cupboards would be better. They have a glass tank in Get To Work but one could only store up to three things. You can also drag them to bookshelves. Some bookshelves have empty spaces in them.

Or better still, just throw all the items in a basement, if possible. :tongue: Anything to get rid of inventory clutter! XD
    832XG3D.gif
  • Ponder the SimPonder the Sim Posts: 3,054 Member
    Yup ^

Oooooo yeaaaaa. Good idea.
  • AlisiaDAlisiaD Posts: 147 Member
    The bigger your game file the longer the loading/travelling screens. My dynasty file (playing gen 7 now with a huge house and like a million items on the lot, well not quite but you get my meaning) takes about two mins to load whereas all my other game files load in seconds.

I agree with this. People keep saying it's your computer's specs, but it's not. I recently just upgraded from a laptop that was barely coping with the game, to a very high end gaming laptop. It made zero difference. However, if I start a new game with a new save, my loading screens are just a few seconds, like when I very first started playing.
  • JoxerTM22JoxerTM22 Posts: 5,323 Member
    It's not just PC specs.
    The game will perform better on modern "gaming" hardware (OCed i5 or i7 K, SSD) and that part is specs related.
    However, loadscreens are completely unoptimized part of the game code and no hardware boost will help there. Maybe when CPUs get diamonds as transistors this unoptimized garbage will run faster.

Yes, unlike just a few Ghz on current technology CPUs, already existing experimental diamond transistor is capable of 81 Ghz and Nippon Telegraph and Telefone Corp. projects it could reach 200 Ghz. There is still a problem how to manufacture diamond transistors small enough, but we'll see it made sooner or later.
    Till then, I believe developers should warm their chairs and optimize the code. Any code. Every code.
    @ DeKay my current save file is just 11,2 MB.

I also repaired my game, removed a lot of stuff from the inventory, removed things from my library, and removed a lot of clutter. But it didn't help..
    Your graphics card is integrated and not recommended for gaming.

I am glad that it runs, but I don't recommend gaming on it. Your card is most likely the reason why your loading screens are long.

You need a gaming computer to be able to handle the Sims.

Since you cannot upgrade graphics cards and processors in laptops, the only option is to buy a new laptop altogether - one that meets the recommended requirements and is not integrated.

Lenovo Y50:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834319109

It is the only cheap laptop I could find at the moment (and is on sale).
    edited August 2015
    @ Colton147147, wow that's disappointing. But thanks a lot for the information
    edited August 2015
    DeKay wrote: »

You mean like a storage cupboard that works like a fridge (where you can 'drag' inventory items and 'open' it)? If it works like the fridge, it will not solve the problem of the long loading screens since any type of inventory storage will cause a lag or even glitches/crashes.

Physical storage cupboards would be better. They have a glass tank in Get To Work but one could only store up to three things. You can also drag them to bookshelves. Some bookshelves have empty spaces in them.

Or better still, just throw all the items in a basement, if possible. :tongue: Anything to get rid of inventory clutter! XD

Already have multiple very full basement rooms utilizing the GTW showcase/storage shelves etc and no I don't mean like a fridge I mean storage like the cupboard that came with TS3 supernatural expansion pack that organized everything in categories for example. You could just click on it and chose to 'put away all gems' and so you didn't need to drag each gem one by one... ALL gems were put away with just one click! Bit hard to store 99+ alien crystals in a few bookcase slots. ;)

Thing is when you have multiple sims in careers or doing certain skills/aspirations their inventories become a crazy size regardless how careful you are of emptying them from time to time. Gardening is the worst for gaining a huge inventory.

• luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,627 Member
    edited August 2015
    For people who are open to modders' solutions, @Scumbumbo 's Packing Crates might help. I have my eye on them for when I start moving Sims out of households again, because it can hold things that can't fit in personal inventory. (edited to fix a link)
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited August 2015
    @ Colton147147, wow that's disappointing. But thanks a lot for the information

Disregard Colton; that post was nothing but misinformation. Your graphics card may not be the best, but the game is relying more on the CPU and memory during loading rather than the graphics card. And this game does not require a gaming computer. I'm playing on much weaker hardware than you and my game is fine. The loading screens did get long a long time ago, but after a few patches and starting a new game, I'm back to fast loading.

Here's what you do, click the "New Game" icon in the upper right corner to start a new game. Play for a little bit and see how long it takes to load. If the screens are quick, then the problem is not your laptop.
  • halimali1980halimali1980 Posts: 8,246 Member
    I think it is better with this game to be choosy be it mods or buying packs. Getting everything over the long run might cause longer loading time.

I have everything except Cool Kitchen and I have so many mods and CC. My loading time is not more than 20 seconds. No complaints yet about that.
    Everything I post is an opinion here and I think every post of others is as well.
    giphy.gif
  • snurflessnurfles Posts: 3,640 Member
    I know I'm going get jumped on for this but, really, with loading screens making a return to the game didn't we pretty much expect this to happen? I have a gaming computer but the longer I play a particular world, the slower the loading screens. It's one of the reasons why many simmers were upset that the developers used them.