Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

periodic_stat_change Advertisement Question

I'm working on an interaction and trying to get the tuning right so the interaction happens autonomously but not overly often and this brought up a question. I am trying to add to fun with a periodic_stat_change, but I want it to be a bit more fun for childish sims, children and teens. I believe the separate statistic_change operations are additive, as I want them to be, e.g.

base fun = 'a'
childish trait += 'b'
child sim += 'c'
teen sim += 'd'

So for instance, a childish teen sim would get 'a'+'b'+'d' fun.

So that seems to work (though it's tough to tell for certain), but I'm wondering how the result gets advertised for autonomy. Does it advertise the resultant sum of the stat gains, or just the base fun, or the last one it matches?

Comments

• IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    I haven't started modding for TS4 yet (if at all) but in all previous sims games the advertisement was always generated completely seperately from the actual result. Is it the same code calculating both in TS4 or do you still have to set it in two different places?
  • ScumbumboScumbumbo Posts: 148 Member
    Haven't looked at the Python code to see exactly how it's implemented, but yes a periodic stat change will advertise to autonomy by default. Whether it adds up all the effects of all the statistic changes for the advertisement or not will probably require examining the code or hopefully a SimGuru might know.

The automatic advertisement can be overriden and false advertisements can also be used. I never modded for earlier games, but it sounds like from what you're saying that would be similar to how things used to work?

I think I have the tuning pretty close, but I'm not sure if the resulting object is actually more attractive to children (this is part of Temporary Tattoos for Children).

I've got a test copy on the Creator Feedback on MTS if anyone wants to play with it: http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=562308
  • IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    Well it's certainly one task less for the modder if the game *will* autogenerate one from the other by default :D What I used to do if I wasn't sure if something was doing what I wanted it to was use some ridiculous values you can't avoid noticing in game. In this case, I'd use a ridiculous value on only one of those factors at a time. If the effect was obvious each time you could assume that all lines were taken into account. However, since for the first time in the history of the game we actually have some interaction with the game coders, now we can find out in a much more definitive way! B)