Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The lack of content shows through when you look back at TS2

Vampyfan2Vampyfan2 Posts: 517 Member
Yup. Another one of these threads.

I am currently not going to be purchasing the new expansion pack. I'm still waiting for new information to be released, so perhaps I will end up purchasing it if EA released information that is appealing and seems thorough, or on a good sale.

Here is the point of my thread:

Who has been here long enough for the release of TS1? TS2? Well, I am going to focus on TS2. Mainly on the Nightlife expansion pack since Get Together seems to be pretty close to Nightlife.

First off, here is the release trailer for TS2 Nightlife:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76Urghrdh6g

That looks amazing, doesn't it?

Here's a list of some of the new features that were introduced in TS2 Nightlife:

-125+ new items (including cars, disco lights, electro dance sphere, photobooth)
-A new sub-neighborhood (Downtown) which was bigger than current TS4 neighborhoods even if it's just a sub-neighborhood
-A new way to socialize: dating and an outing with friends (up to 6 people I want to say)
-Drivable cars
-Vampires
-The Matchmaker
-Diagonal shaper for swimming pools
-Lounges
-Clubs
-Bowling Alleys
-Karaoke Bars
-Sit down and eat at a restaurant with a date (which with OFB you could run as a full restaurant)
-Fury
-Turn offs/turn ons
(I'm sure I missed plenty of features, but these are just off of the top of my head)

Now, it is unfair to compare the old sims games to the new sims games; however, content wise, it should only get better with progression, right? I remember playing TS1, TS2, and TS3 for hours on end. TS4? Well, I played the base game for a few hours straight. Was excited for about a week, then got bored. The Sims 4 Get to work? Great concept! But was bored due to lack of content, and repetitive and lacking jobs. EA could have done a great job with TS4 Get to Work, but missed.

I'm not here to argue. A lot of people love the concept of this expansion pack, and a lot of people hate it. This is showing why it would seem dislikable to somebody that has played The Sims since the beginning.

Feel free to share your thoughts :)
Watch my live streams and follow me on twitch!

Comments

• fkasimsfkasims Posts: 50 Member
    I agree! I think Get Together, based on what has been released, will be a waste of $$$ compared to the content we used to get for the same amount... I was hoping EA would keep up the good work from the last few TS3 expansion packs! Hopefully they're pulling our leg and magically jam pack this expansion, but who knows. I'm even agreeing with you on the interest level w the sims 4. I can't seem to play for more than a couple hours at a time, whereas I could play endlessly with the previous generations.
  • LoveMcQueen5683LoveMcQueen5683 Posts: 3,689 Member
    Get together isn't really nightlife based though if you read any of the articles. It's focus is more on having clubs with your friends. It's more of a social EP.
    LR3g0ni.jpg
  • tacheira209tacheira209 Posts: 209 Member
    Nightlife and Hot Date were both focused on socializing.
  • aws200aws200 Posts: 2,262 Member
    Get Together is The Sims 4 Night Life/Late Night, they're just altering the features and making it lackluster and worthless.
    1. The Sims 2
    2. The Sims 3
    3. The Sims 4 (5 years later its decent)
    4. The Sims 1
  • US_Marshall42US_Marshall42 Posts: 236 Member
    I think GT is closer to a FreeTime expansion but I'm a sucker for The Sims 2.
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Most of Get Together from what has been announced sounds very nightlife to me new romance interactions, dancing, DJs, pubs sounds like a weak nightlife to me with closets clubs and recolored pools. My hope is more activities are coming hopefully something like bowling, skating parks, arcades and tree houses need to be added for clubs for teens and children.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,472 Member
    I feel like Get Together is a mashup of different themes. It could be like a bit of an adventure EP (since they have an ancient ruins area and also an island, I read?), it could be a party EP (if you like with the dancing and DJ-ing), it could be a social-focused EP (depending on what clubs you make). So, overall, I think it's pretty cool.
    My Top Song of the Day: Fancy Footwork by Chromeo
    FwDXXd5.gif
  • halimali1980halimali1980 Posts: 8,246 Member
    edited August 2015
    OP that nightlife trailer and all the other EP trailers of Sims 2 were the best in the series. at that time we had to build our interest on the trailer only as there was no any other source of info. The trailers were so wonderful, informative and precise. Each trailer made me personally scream that I want that EP. Watch Seasons, OFB and others too.

Some fans are giving the excuse to EA that Get Together is not yet finished, but those Sims 2 EPs also were not finished when their trailers were released yet we have seen so many great CORE features in them which is not the case with Get Together. I think Get Together will end up very underwhelming just like how the Kitchen stuff pack is. So those who are hoping for more things to be added will be extremely disappointed.
    Everything I post is an opinion here and I think every post of others is as well.
    giphy.gif
  • Ponder the SimPonder the Sim Posts: 3,054 Member
    edited August 2015
    Get Together is nothing like Night Life.

I think we'd all be better off if we stop comparing new EPs to old ones and playing match up because when you do that, you go in with expectations and you are only setting yourself up for disappointment.

More info about this EP:
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/849590/massive-article-based-on-actual-gameplay-of-get-together/p1
  • BrokenChaos69BrokenChaos69 Posts: 928 Member
    I'm pretty sure this expansion is meant to be a foundation for future content. The same happened with the business side of Get To Work. You'll be able to open more kinds of stores as new content packs are released. With Get Together you'll be able to create more kinds of clubs and having more unique experiences with your Sims as more new content arrives. Hopefully this is the last foundation type EP though, I'd like a nice beefy expansion in the future, like maybe a city with all kinds of new places to go to with my new clubs or own a business in the downtown core. :3
    Gallery ID: ChaosKitten666
    I hope my Sims and lots aren't too terrible!
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    edited August 2015
    I'm pretty sure this expansion is meant to be a foundation for future content. The same happened with the business side of Get To Work.
    When will the expansions stop just being foundations for other games and start having amazing game play within themselves, as you said I want a beefy expansions that I can get lost in and look at a clock and think where has the time gone not happened with me yet in Sims 4.

Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    This pack isn't about nightlife. It focuses on social interactions and social clubs.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • MoodbeamyMoodbeamy Posts: 1,510 Member
    And yet GT to me feels as empty as TS2 FreeTime.
    tFU6JMe.png
  • CXonor13CXonor13 Posts: 666 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    This pack isn't about nightlife. It focuses on social interactions and social clubs.

Ah yes, so the Univeristy Expansion Pack for The Sims 3, but without the university and just the annoying cliques and barista bars.

I understand now. :unamused:
    Ci7abDw.png
  • jegoodejegoode Posts: 267 Member
    :o. After watching the Sims 2 Nightlife all over again, Get Together looks....meh!!

Origin ID: MJSimKat_14
    YouTube Channel: https://youtube.com/user/MJSimKat
    "Just Exquisitely Goode"
  • MikeAM91MikeAM91 Posts: 165 Member
    Just comparing content to content, there were so many more core features added in TS2 and TS3 expansions compared to GT. I mean closets are a main feature in GT! It's just ridiculous!! I like the club system, but theres no way I'm paying 40 bucks for clubs, a world and some new items.
  • joralydjoralyd Posts: 55 Member
    You are right and not alone in thinking that TS4 and this GT EP is light on and totally underwhelming. I feel ripped off and it seems a lot of other people feel the same way. I also think we SHOULD be comparing TS4 with older TS version, after all, if the new version isn't as good if not better then what is the point of it???
    Some people on this forum seem to forget WE are the consumers, we are spending OUR money to buy this product and we have a right to expect value for money.

I started my Sim obsession with TS3 just a few years ago (I know late to the party right?). When I loaded up TS3 for the first time my mind exploded, I couldn't get enough and it was just the base game no EP's. I spent sooo many hours trying out everything, in fact I still have many adventures yet to experience with TS3.
    It wasn't perfect and I spent a lot of frustrating time fixing bugs etc as many of you can relate but TS3 was exciting!

When a new EP or even stuff pack came out I was so excited I even pre ordered just from the trailer alone.
    We also had the online store which gave us something to do between EP releases, all those cool worlds you could download, some were even free!

I recently bought TS2 after my disappointment in TS4 and I am just stunned at how finished the game is, there is something for everyone. They didn't just focus on one type of game play like with TS4, they covered it all.
    I get the feeling the time spent building TS4 was far less that the time spent building TS2 ans TS3 :(

I took the pledge
  • SlawfishSlawfish Posts: 431 Member
    But we hardly know anything about GT yet. :O Of course a full list of content from an old EP is going to look complete compared to what little we know.
  • joralydjoralyd Posts: 55 Member
    so we should chalk it up to really bad marketing?? lol
    I took the pledge
  • MagicAndPancakesMagicAndPancakes Posts: 149 Member
    TS2 was a labor of love. You can tell that they really cared about the game. TS4 is just a blatant cash grab at this point. It got pretty bad with TS3 as well. No love involved, just dollar signs.
  • Aeroprincess87Aeroprincess87 Posts: 6,414 Member
    I love the Sims 2, I really do. In fact it is probably my favorite Sims game out of the franchise with the Sims 3 coming in dead last of course. However, I've been doing some thinking and yes there are things that the devs completely missed in Sims 4, but when they brought these items back (most of them for free too which they should've been considering they should've shipped with the base game) they were much better.

1) Pools. In other games they were only a place to swim and splash other sims. Of course Sims 2 gave us pool slides, the diving board, and marco polo, but lest anyone forget the Sims 3 completely forgot about these things until a patch (diving boards) and an EP that you had to pay for. Now Sims 4 didn't include all the other stuff but I was freaking happy when I got my sims to a pool and saw that they could actually hang out by the pool and socialize. To some it may seem small, but for me it was one of the main reasons why I rarely had pool parties in my other games, mostly because it wasn't a party when all the sims in the pool were just swimming laps in silence.

2) Basements. Sims 2 didn't have them without altering terrain (something the Sims 4 obviously lacks and needs fixed), Sims 3 did and they were alright. Sims 4 added them and you can actually see the light from upstairs coming down into the basement. It's not much, but it is definitely an improvement.

3) Half walls. Sims 4 wins hands down with 5 different heights and the ability for sims to sit on the shortest one and to place objects on the ledges. I have some in one of my sim's kitchens and putting pots and décor on the ledge really makes the place look more lived in.

Now those are just some of the things I could think of right now before my dinner gets cold. So yeah, the Sims 4 still isn't the best in the franchise in my opinion, but it isn't horrible. It's made strides in the right direction and I honestly can't even go back to Sims 2 anymore because I miss the multitasking and the universal aging way too much.
  • TreelifeCreationTreelifeCreation Posts: 401 Member
    [quote="Slawfish;13993375"]But we hardly know anything about GT yet. :O Of course a full list of content from an old EP is going to look complete compared to what little we know. [/quote]

Actually we know all the core new features from announcement.

In the entire history of EA marketing the Sims 4 they have never announced large new content in an expansion/game pack/etc after the original few days of announcements. Over the next few months they will only go into more detail on what we already know.

It is a myth that has been floating around the forums every time new content is announced and every time it gets proved wrong.

For example in GTW they didn't announce 3 new careers only to turn around and say "Surprise! Here is a 4th one". It is not how EA marketing works. :)
  • JermanJerman Posts: 128 Member
    TS2 was a labor of love. You can tell that they really cared about the game. TS4 is just a blatant cash grab at this point. It got pretty bad with TS3 as well. No love involved, just dollar signs.

It wasn't that bad with Sims 3 though. The Base Game was a game with all the features of a sims game and did do something new to the series. Sims 4 was a massive step backwards for the series, getting rid of everything sims 3 did...

Saying Sims 3 was a blatant cash grab is harsh.
  • TreelifeCreationTreelifeCreation Posts: 401 Member
    [quote="Jerman;13993490"][quote="LaceyAnn520;13993410"]TS2 was a labor of love. You can tell that they really cared about the game. TS4 is just a blatant cash grab at this point. It got pretty bad with TS3 as well. No love involved, just dollar signs.[/quote]

It wasn't that bad with Sims 3 though. The Base Game was a game with all the features of a sims game and did do something new to the series. Sims 4 was a massive step backwards for the series, getting rid of [i]everything[/i] sims 3 did...

Saying Sims 3 was a blatant cash grab is harsh. [/quote]

I think EA treated us reasonable well in Sims 3 early days (aside from some huge game breaking bugs). It was later one you started to see a pattern of things being obviously removed from an EP to be sold as DLC in the store a month later. I think a great example was Island Paridise, they gave us an EP about beaches, ocean and resorts then the next month they release a $20 set to give you more swimmers and waterskiing (or something like that) which really obviously should have part of the EP a month before. :)
  • JermanJerman Posts: 128 Member
    edited August 2015
    I think EA treated us reasonable well in Sims 3 early days (aside from some huge game breaking bugs). It was later one you started to see a pattern of things being obviously removed from an EP to be sold as DLC in the store a month later. I think a great example was Island Paridise, they gave us an EP about beaches, ocean and resorts then the next month they release a $20 set to give you more swimmers and waterskiing (or something like that) which really obviously should have part of the EP a month before. :)

I don't remember any game breaking bugs (except I blue screened the first day I was playing it, but that was my computer, not the game)

Keep in mind, this was 2 weeks after it came out, not earlier because my Pre-Order copy was late.