Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

XQ Showcase. Latest: The Art of Charm

Comments

• rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,594 Member
    Ivory Grove is a very nice remake of Cypress Terrace! :) It is great that it is base game, so everyone can download and use it as you designed it.The exterior of the home looks very nice! The new design changes look great! The tall windows and the breezeway look very nice. The water fountain is a nice touch in the front entrance area. Very nice outdoors dining and pool patio! Sims will enjoy cooking on the BBQ and eating the food at the umbrella covered table in the outdoors air. It is nice that you have included a pool in the bulld, which wasn't able to be there when the game was released. The layout of the levels of the interior of the home looks very nice! Very nice furnishing of each of the rooms ! The kitchen and dining area looks very stylish! Very nice black and white colour scheme of the room areas. The white dining seats gives a nice look, and the grandfather clock is a nice touch in the corner nook. The sink and bar stool counter looks great! The green and white colour scheme of the playroom gives a nice look to the room. Sims will have enjoy playing chess and card games there, with sunshine coming in through the windows. They will enjoy having a drink from the bar whilst playing the games. The movie posters look great on the walls! Very nice living room siting area ! The sofas look nice placed in a U shape in front of the fire. The blossoms are pretty touches on the room. The patterned floor rug adds a nice look to the room. Sims will enjoy resting there watching tv and reading a book. Very nice armchairs windows sitting nook ! Sims will enjoy the sunshine coming in onto them. The activity room looks great! Nice yellow colour scheme of the room. Sims will enjoy painting on the easel and playing the piano there. Nice study desk winows nook for using the computer. Sims will enjoy sitting on the ottoman stools reading and listening to the juke box music. Very nice design and furnishing of the bedrooms! The world explorer traveler theme of the bedroom suite looks great!
    The home is very nice! :)
  • XinqunXinqun Posts: 612 Member
    Thanks, @rosemow ! I'm really glad you like it!
  • NinnsterNinnster Posts: 1,215 Member
    Finished already! I love that you kept it all white (with black trims) :) That was after all my favorite of the tested looks. I really like the idea of it being base game compatible too. And although you are somewhat limiting yourself, it doesn't look like this particular build suffered for it ;)

The different levels inside look amazing, that living room with the high ceiling looks so good. And I :heart: that open staircase!

I really love the vibe of this building, and I can't wait to try it out in game! :)
    OriginID: Ninnster

My Sims 4 Twitter
    My Sims 4 Showcase
    My Sims 4 Gallery

#EAGameChanger

"Creativity is intelligence having fun"
    Thanks, @Laebeth , and I really hope you have fun with it in the game!
  • CorwimCorwim Posts: 3,218 Member
    Again, I can't immediately recall the original Cypress Terrace Maxis build, but I absolutely love Ivory Grove! Love the sleek, modern look of the exterior, with a wonderful patio/pool/garden around it. The interior designs are gorgeous, you did an awesome job with the colours you picked to set against the overall white/black design, love the landing redesign and the big two floor windows for the living room. Fantastic house!
    edited March 2017
    Thanks, @Corwim . In my game, a certain hunky bartender is living there with his straitlaced twin brother. (I didn't have all the packs you used to dress him, so I had to replace a few pieces. But ... sooo handsome.)
    Post edited by Xinqun on
    Xinqun wrote: »
    Thanks, @Corwim . In my game, a certain hunky bartender is living there with his straitlaced twin brother. (I didn't have all the packs you used to dress him, so I had to replace a few pieces. But ... sooo handsome.)

That is so awesome to hear, I can totally picture him in Ivory Grove! Hehe, love the idea you gave him a straitlaced twin brother, can imagine that should give a lovely contrast with Shawn himself. ;) Thank you for the compliment, glad I wasn't wrong calling him hunky in the first place. :smiley: )
    edited April 2017
    Gallery link: Villa California

VC01.jpg

This build replaces Yuma Heights in the base game. Yuma Heights was a three-storey mansion in the Spanish colonial or mission style: lots of smooth stucco, terra cotta tiles on the roof and floors, and curvy shaped parapets. And maybe other things; I admit I'm not terribly familiar with the style, and had to do some research. It's advertised as having 4 bedrooms and 4 baths, but a survey of the original build shows 5 bedrooms and 5 baths. The rooms, especially on the ground floor, were a little too expansive for my tastes (I like them a little more cozy) so I wanted to bring the overall size down a bit, and articulate it all a bit more.

"Hotel California" was playing on repeat in my head for most of this build. Observe: this could easily have been a mission, with an attached chapel, and a bell tower complete with a mission bell. (I heard the mission bell.) And the front courtyard (the original Yuma Heights looked like it ought to have had a courtyard entrance) might have once been a cloister. I imagine that my Villa California did start out as a house for Spanish missionaries, and only later was converted into a private residence.

Then she lit up a candle, and she showed me the way....

More exterior images
    The view from the back. The front gets the morning sun, but the back looks its best in the afternoon. (sweet summer sweat....)
    VC02.jpg

A better look at the back patio and garden. I shudder to think of this place's water bill.
    VC03.jpg

The front courtyard (how they dance....) a cool, shady respite from the world. There's a small little meditation garden off to the side, and because this is a basegame build, it contains a round fountain and nothing of use; but in my game, I'm going to be replacing that fountain with a meditation stool.
    VC05.jpg

Floor plans
    First storey. In my original design, that living room was a sunken room, with steps going down to it from the hallway, the stairwell, and the bar. It looked awesome. But on playtesting, it turned out that sims would much rather leave the house and walk through the patio to get from the stairwell to the bar and vice-versa, than walk down three steps and up again. Unacceptable. There could be coyotes out there at night, or bandits. So the living room came back up ... but ah, what could have been...!
    VC11.jpg

Second storey. Every mansion needs a room for a toddler nowadays, because what's the point of having five bedrooms if you can't cater to the possibility that the family might breed? Toddlers, like swimming pools, weren't available in original original game, though, so I also think of this as responding to the game updates.
    VC12.jpg

Third storey. I always imagine the person whose bedroom this is as being just a little bit ... "different" from the rest of the family. In this case, I've given the room a slightly more modern/futuristic feel than the rest of the house.
    VC13.jpg

Interior shots (There were voices down the corridor....)
    A couple of shots of the living room. I'm a little proud of it, in case you can't tell, simply because I usually go straight to a symmetrical sofa-and-two-chairs-facing-a-TV-over-a-fireplace layout when doing a living room, whereas in this case ... well, I guess we still have that happening even without the fireplace, but the axis of symmetry of the furniture is no longer aligned with any of the room's axes, and that makes a lot of difference. Also, there's the piano and all the music/performance stuff, and the archway to the bar ... this is a room for entertaining, not just for watching TV.
    VC21.jpg
    (Some dance to remember ... some dance to forget....)
    VC22.jpg

The study. Even with the bedrooms shrunk down, there's a lot of real estate on the ground floor required to support what is on the bedroom floor, so my standard trick in such a case is to build a study.
    VC24.jpg

The kitchen is shrunk down from the original. I know large kitchens are more popular, but I prefer them smaller and more efficient. I like the sense of everything being within easy reach. (And of course, there's the kitchen block full of steely knives....)
    VC27.jpg

Bedrooms. Plenty of room at the Villa California ... such a lovely place (such a lovely place) such a lovely face....
    VC31.jpg

If the base game had access to Tiffany lamps, they would be all over this room:
    VC32.jpg

I pretty much only do kids' rooms in green now. This is because I always stick a Junior Wizard Starter Set in there, and those things only come in green. One day, when I'm more confident in my colour theory, I might try something different ... but that day is not now.
    VC33.jpg

In other news, I've also edited the original post to include a contents page (we are programmed to receive) for this showcase thread, with thumbnail images of the builds! Check it out any time you like, but you can never leave...!
    edited April 2017
    The exterior design and layout of Villa California looks so very nice! :) Very nice roofing! You have reflected the Spanish mission style so very well! The type of and placement of the windows in the build looks very nice! Very nice back patio areas! Sims will have fun swimming in the pool and playing on the monkey bars. Nice gardening nook for sims to enjoy growing and harvesting plants. The curved outdoors dining patio is nice. Sims will eating meals at the dining table in the sunshine. The plants are nice touches on the edges of the patio. Very pretty front patio area! The water fountain feature is a nice touch. Sims will enjoy sitting resting on the seat benches there in the outdoors air. Very nice layout of the interior of the home! I enjoyed reading your descriptions of the levels! I am sorry that the sunken living room couldn't be used, but it is best to protect sims from coyotes at night :) It is nice that there is a toddlers bedroom in the build. Very nice furnishing of the living room! The layout looks very nice! It looks great how you have placed the seating in the room. Very nice windows music nook for sims to enjoy playing the musical instruments together with sunshine coming in through the windows. The type and placement of the curtains looks very nice. Sims will enjoy dancing to the juke box music! The double archway looks great! Very nice study room! The wall paneling looks nice. Sims will enjoy sitting at the desk table or on the stool reading a book or using the computer. The grandfather clock is a nice home touch there. The colour scheme of the kitchen looks nice. The placement of the kitchen cabinets and the type used looks great! The wall and floor patterning suits the build type well. Very nice furnishing of the bedrooms! The colour schemes look very nice! The floor rugs add a nice look to the rooms.
    The home is very nice! :)
    edited April 2017
    Oh wow! I love this! I mean, it already looked amazing before landscaping as you posted the WIP, but the landscaping really is the icing on the cake :smiley:

I just love that front facade, and the little garden area in front.. especially that little meditation garden! So cute, and so clever!

The rounded porches look amazing, I've never used them before, and now I want to :tongue:

I love the living room! The archways and the stone floors just feels and looks like it fits a Spanish mission style house. And the colors compliment each other so well :smile:

I love your commentary, they always make me smile, and especially the comment on why you always make green kids rooms :tongue: I haven't been using the science table much so far, but I would follow the *exact* same logic and keep the whole room green, just because I'm not very confident with colors either. Haha!

It's a beautiful house! I'll be getting this for sure in the new game I am slowly building up. I just love the idea of renewing and improving on the base game builds! :smiley:

My Sims 4 Twitter
    My Sims 4 Showcase
    My Sims 4 Gallery

#EAGameChanger

Thanks, @rosemow ! Indeed, those coyotes are a menace and Maxis should do something about them. Seriously, though, I'm glad you think well of the build!

And thanks, @Laebeth ! It's a great compliment that you're planning to use this build for your Improved Game World. Once you've filled it all up, it will be quite a sight to see!
    Gallery link: Casa Grenada

CG01.jpg

I originally built this as a replacement for Granada Place in the base game, but I'm not sure there are enough distinctive points carrying over to qualify it as a proper rebuild. I kept the basic spec of three bedrooms and three bathrooms, of course, and the open kitchen ... but millions of houses have that. I'm still replacing Granada Place with this, though.

It's a lot less ornate than Villa California. It feels more like a solid, respectable, upper-middle-class house: the prosperous merchant to Villa California's decadent aristocrat. (But is it having an affair with Lady Delilah? Is anyhouse not? Is it wrong that I'm seeing my builds as people?)

More exterior shots:
    Two views of the back yard:
    CG02.jpg

I always include an artist's easel in my builds. It's a holdover from the days when this was one of the cheapest skill-building hobbies available. Is it still? I don't know ... I'm conditioned to feel a build is incomplete without an easel. Anyway, I nearly forgot the easel in this case; and I suppose I could have put it on one of the terraces, but I always do that ... so I went out to the far corner of the site and planted it in a grove of palm trees. Granada Place has a lovely view of a lake from the back, and imagine the artistic sim resident taking full advantage of it.
    CG03.jpg

And here's a view from the back terrace. Like I said, the Granada Place site offers some lovely views.
    CG04.jpg

Floor plans:
    First storey: My original plan had everything closed up in individual rooms, but then I looked again at the original Granada Place and realised that one of its distinctive points was the spacious, open kitchen with the island/counter seating. And once that was open, there seemed little sense in keeping anything else enclosed. It did save some space, too: allocating space for doors to open and close does tend to muddle up the planning a bit.
    CG11.jpg

Second storey: There's that green kids' room again....
    CG12.jpg

Interior shots:

Two views of the kitchen/dining area.
    CG21.jpg
    CG22.jpg

Two views of the living area. I'm rather fond of those swaths of green drapery. There's something romantic about them, which I didn't notice until after I'd placed them.
    CG23.jpg
    CG24.jpg

The master bedroom.
    CG31.jpg

The toddlers' nursery. I included a bassinet this time around. I'm not sure if that's a thing, though: In my gameplay, I usually keep the bassinet for all of one minute before aging the kid up and deleting the bassinet. But maybe people want to see a bassinet in a nursery....
    CG32.jpg

The common upstairs bathroom. Remember I mentioned the views from the back of the Granada Place site? Imagine looking out at all of that while relaxing in the bath! (Luckily, as far as I can tell, sims in Sims 4 haven't figured out that they can peep on their neighbours through the windows. Don't anybody tell them, okay?)
    CG33.jpg

The cost of this build came to a very nice, round 119,000 simoleons. I was actually thinking of looking for more stuff to spend money on to bring the cost to a nicer, rounder 120,000. But ... nobody cares about that, right? Right?
    The exterior design of Casa Granada looks very nice! :) The front archway entrance porch looks so very nice! The backyard patio areas look very nice! Nice pool area for sims to enjoy swimming in the water, and they will enjoy cooking on the BBQ and eating their food at the umbrella covered dining table in the outdoors air. The flowers look very pretty placed on the edges of the patio! The art nook is a very pretty place for sims to enjoy painting in the midst of the flowers! It is nice that you include an easel in all of your builds. The terrace is nice for sims to enjoy playing chess at the table whilst looking at the views. Very nice furnishing of the interior of the home! The open plan layout of the kitchen, dining and living room areas looks very nice. The green kids bedroom looks great! Very nice island stove and bar stool counter seating in the kitchen! The fruit wall pictures, knives block, and the hanging pans are nice kitchen touches. The red colour scheme of the dining room looks very nice! Very nice type of curtains used. Sims will enjoy the sunlight coming in through the windows whilst dining there. The layout of the living room is very nice! Very nice corner windows sofa seat sitting area! Sims will enjoy watching tv there or reading with sunlight coming in onto them. The fireplace will keep the room warm. The plants are nice touches either sides of the clock on the fireplace ledge. It is great there is a corner bar nook for sims to enjoy having a drink from the bar, whilst listening to the juke box music. The blue colour scheme of the master bedroom looks very nice! Very nice brown/orange and dark pink colour scheme of the toddlers room ! The teddy looks cute! The blue bathroom wall tiling looks nice.
    It is a very nice home ! :)
  • TheDismalSimmerTheDismalSimmer Posts: 656 Member
    edited April 2017
    Cool showcase! I like how you have such a variety of buildings.

Bookmarking for future reference!
    dgvibNQ.png
    Thanks, @rosemow , @The_Dismal_Scientist . @rosemow , I greatly appreciate your positivity, as always; thanks so much for that. @The_Dismal_Scientist , I hope you find plenty in here to like!
    Oh wow, busy builder already has a new upload! :smiley:

I agree that it has a completely different feel than Villa California although it is very much done in the same style. I'd move a completely different family in here than I would in Villa California! As you very accurately said, it feels more like an upper middle class house! Which is natural, not every house can be an aristocrat either :wink:

I love the commentary you add to your comments, they never fail to make me giggle. I would say it's leaning towards the unusual side to consider your houses people, but hey, why not? :lol: Boats are named after women, why not houses? And when you do that you automatically name them based on the feeling you have towards the house, or maybe the house will get a certain feeling or personality *because* of the name you give them? Maybe I will have to try and name a house and see for myself :tongue:

And yes, I did not fail to notice the green kids room... but in all fairness, the toddler room is NOT green. You should get points for that.

I'm digging the open floor plan on that first floor, and I love the stone floor. I need to use more stone floors in my buildings. For this kind of style though it's almost required, but it's still looks great with the colors and textures you've chosen. I love the kitchen and the large kitchen island with seating!

It's an amazing house!

My Sims 4 Twitter
    My Sims 4 Showcase
    My Sims 4 Gallery

#EAGameChanger

Thanks, @Laebeth ! Stone floors rock. I just realised what I said there. But seriously, they do. It's a very different feel beneath your feet from hardwood or tile.

And speaking of thinking of buildings as people, this is Lady Delilah Parkshore:
    ld3-sim.jpg
    No, she's not shared to the gallery. I'm just amusing myself, really ... and I still have the other buildings to simmify.
    Your Lady Delilah sim is very nice! :) Her hat is a nice part of her outfit, and the green necklace and earrings complement with their clothing. .She would enjoy living in your Lady Delilah , remake of Parkshore, home!
    Thanks, @rosemow . I'm pretty pleased with how she turned out too!
    Haha! That giggle is for that pun.. 10 points for that :wink:

Lady Delilah certainly fits her namesake house! Love it! And I love her red lipstick against all of the green. She looks fab! :blush:

I've never made a Sim based on a house, or a house based on a Sim. I see Corwim do that too, as part of the creative process. It's made me think about it.. maybe one day :wink: Right now though I don't want any new projects :tongue:

My Sims 4 Twitter
    My Sims 4 Showcase
    My Sims 4 Gallery

#EAGameChanger

edited March 2020
    Thanks, @Laebeth ! I really should be scaling back as well ... this is going to be a very busy week for me, and the work could potentially overflow into next week.

But first, let me present to you ... the joint Willow Creek / Oasis Springs Homes Association.

No, not a Home Owners Association. These are the literal personifications of some of the major houses of the twin towns. (Also the first time I've made a sim based on a house. I've never made a house based on a sim. I might write them into a mystery novel one of these days....)

IG-sim.jpgIGx.jpg
    Ivor Groves (Ivory Grove) is the resident geek and renaissance sim. He grew up with hippies, and he still prefers sandals over shoes for everyday life. He's all about personal improvement, and the others sometimes have trouble keeping up with his ideas.

Relationship with the others: Ivor is a bit dismissive of Delilah, considering her "all surface and no substance." He privately thinks Francisco is a little bit backwards, though he appreciates his artistic patronage; he appreciates Ophelia's poetry, though he doesn't understand it. He was fascinated to discover Juan's artistic interests, and has made it his pet project to bring Juan out of his shell.

LD-sim.jpgLDx.jpg
    Delilah Parker (Lady Delilah) loves romantic gestures and prefers things in soft-focus, but ultimately she considers herself a "practical romantic". Ask her, and she'll tell you, "Flowers are lovely, honey, but diamonds are a girl's best friend."

Relationship with the others: Delilah has little patience for Ophelia's morbid interests, but she always has time for the men. She doesn't quite understand Ivor, though she's inclined to be indulgent; she has a working friendship with Juan, but it's Francisco and his connection to history (also his status as "Old Money") that fascinates her the most.

CG-sim.jpgCGx.jpg
    Juan Grenada (Casa Grenada) is the reliable one. He usually keeps to the background and lets the others do the talking; but remember, he is still a ruthless businessman.... He also has an artistic side, surprisingly enough, though you'd have to get to know him really well before you see it.

Relationship with the others: Juan finds Francisco's theatricality rather grating, and remembers resentfully that his ancestors were servants to Francisco's. He has a "live and let live" policy with Ivor and Ophelia--everything is business, not personal, with him. But he is surprisingly supportive of Delilah; one would almost think he's harbouring a secret crush....

OR-sim.jpgORx.jpg
    Ophelia Von Goethe (Ophelia Redux) is the classic gothic-romantic poet. She's a little reclusive, but when she does come out and speak, people stop and listen. And though she neither trusts nor loves easily, when she does, it is with an intensity that's almost frightening.

Relationship with the others: Ophelia finds Juan interminably dull, and she considers his suppression of his artistic side a betrayal of himself. She likes the colourful images that both Delilah and Francisco present, though it's not the sort of thing she would do herself. Ivor, to her, is fascinatingly different--white to her black, day to her night--and she has more patience for him than most.

VC-sim.jpgVCx.jpg
    Francisco Sandiego (Villa California) is the aristocrat. He's immensely proud of his heritage, and can trace his family back to the old conquistadors. He's fond of horses, music, and the theatre, and considers himself a patron of the arts.

Relationship with the others: Francisco's devotion to history is a little at odds with Ivor's interest in innovation, and Francisco finds Ivor rather annoying as a result. He likes Juan for their shared heritage, and he likes Delilah's attitude to life, but he find he has most in common with Ophelia: they are both, in a way, modern aristocrats.

Additional commentary:
    Not shared. I'm not entirely happy with Ophelia's look, which I think should include a LOT more lace than is available in what I currently have.
    Post edited by Xinqun on
    Wow, love your rebuilds Villa California and Casa Grenada are both gorgeous! Love the colonial style on both of these. Awesome that you had a history in mind for the Villa California, with it once having been a mission with an attached chapel that is now a private residence. Love that courtyard with the meditation yard you added, very beautiful. So sorry to hear your idea for a sunken living room didn't pan out (cause sims sometimes have crazy routing indeed!), but the interiors stiil looking pretty amazing to me. :smile:

Casa Grenada looks so lovely as well. Loving the backyard, and agreed, that house has amazing views, so the yard and back terrace is where sims would spend a lot of their time, and you gave both a great redesign (including yes, putting the easel at the back of the yard). Wonderful interior design as well! Love the open floor plan downstairs, that big kitchen island where everyone can gather on family dinner occasions. Lolz at your comment in the bathroom of sims not (yet?) realizing they can peep in haha. :smile:

I loved reading your comments on how you designed both houses and the thought process that went in them!

Ooooh, and I LOVE your sims based on the rebuilds you did! :smile: Like Laebeth said, I actually do it the other way around, base my builds on sims I've made. And that way, yes, I do think of my creations as people/my babies too haha. :smile: Each character you created fits so well with the house you assigned them with and I love that you created a backstory for each of them and especially how they feel about all the others. And if you do decide to put them in a mystery novel, let me know, based on what you have hear, I'm definitely gonna enjoy reading it! B)
    edited April 2017
    Each of the sims that you have created as a sim reflection of your build looks great! :) You are so very creative with how you have wriitten their background details! It is very nice the way that you have connected each with one another!
    Thanks, @Corwim , @rosemow . I pretty much never make sims, so this last thing was a bit of a departure for me.
    Oh I love them!

You really should write that mystery novel! haha! The first thing that came to mind was Cluedo, which is still one of my favorite board games :smiley: Delilah Parker, dining room, wrench :D

Thank you for sharing this! I love the careful consideration of each character, and how they interact. I like Ivor, he seems to be ruffling some feathers in the neighborhood.. haha :wink:

I would love to see who comes in next to add to the drama! This is getting pretty interesting! :smile:

My Sims 4 Twitter
    My Sims 4 Showcase
    My Sims 4 Gallery

#EAGameChanger