Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Cool Kitchen: Drawers/doors on Wrong Side of Island Counter

MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,177 Member
Has anyone else noticed this?
67p2lh.png
xdf0d2.png
On the other island counters (the one from Perfect Patio and one from the basegame) the doors/drawers are on the side where you can't place a stool, which makes sense. The new counters have them on the side where you place the stools, which is terribly inconvenient (if Sims were to actually make use of it). Anyway, it just looks really weird to me.
Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr

Comments

• Options
    jessathemessajessathemessa Posts: 2,342 Member
    Uh oh! I haven't had a chance to play yet, but that's definitely an issue. You can send in a report to EA. You may be able to tweet the gurus if you have twitter. Maybe @simgurudrake can pass this on to the right people to be fixed?
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited August 2015
    Lol...it's not the first time they do something messy, I hope this gets fixed really soon.
    Post edited by Sigzy05 on
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    PlayPlay Posts: 704 Member
    :joy::joy::joy: Oops! Nice attention to detail, I probably wouldn't have noticed.
  • Options
    SlyStarDustSlyStarDust Posts: 341 Member
    In the video all of the counter islands were shown like one big round or oblong counter. Maybe it was a design choice to have it be backwards?
  • Options
    KATENESSKATENESS Posts: 3,610 Member
    Well that's pretty silly. :D

Good catch! Maybe they can fix it in a patch. And make some cookies in a batch. And lock a door with a latch.

Ok I'll stop now. :p
    giphy.gif

• Options
    Sim2SporeSim2Spore Posts: 284 Member
    edited August 2015
    I have a counter like this in real life, I believe it could be a design choice and not a bug. lol

It's designed for the parts of the counter where the front would otherwise be facing another counter, like at the corner of an intersection, or for islands in the center of a room with seating on all sides.
  • Options
    I get the part where you could want/need this type of counter, it just looks really silly if you place a stool near it. I mean, you can't reach what's in there and run the risk of hurting your legs on the handles and everything, not to mention when you sit down and someone else hasn't closed on of those doors... I know it won't bother our Sims, it's just realism combined with my more practical side and a hint of OCD that has an opinion about it. (That would make a really interesting ice cream, realism topped with practical sauce and OCD sprinkles...)
  • Options
    SimGuruDrakeSimGuruDrake Posts: 1,648 SimGuru (retired)
    Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I've passed it along to our QA team.
    Global Community Manager for Maxis / The Sims
  • Options
    IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    There's nothing wrong with having the choice between normal and reversed cupboard openings. So some of each is fine by me.
  • Options
    KatrinkuKatrinku Posts: 224 Member
    It's fine to me!
  • Options
    azsimmer1azsimmer1 Posts: 492 Member
    Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I've passed it along to our QA team.

Is it me or is the top cabinets not have a proper end cabinet or lacking a true middle cabinet?
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    So, I've also noticed the same 'issue' on the island counters from the Spa Day GP. It's not that obvious there, so I hadn't noticed before.

Considering the difference of opinion on this matter, maybe we should just ask for an option to choose whether you want doors/drawers/nothing and on which side you want them - that would make everyone happy and our kitchens (and bathrooms and whatever else we use counters for) would end up way cooler! Likewise it would be nice for the top cabinets to be able to choose whether you want transparent doors on them or not - now it's just fixed, on some, like the corner and/or end ones, but there are never transparent doors the short ones and only on some of the regular ones (I think).
    But I guess it would be asking too much.
  • Options
    BrokenChaos69BrokenChaos69 Posts: 928 Member
    There are counters from the base game like this so I think it's a design choice. It's handy when placing them against walls and having the doors face outwards like that.
    Gallery ID: ChaosKitten666
    I hope my Sims and lots aren't too terrible!
  • Options
    @BrokenChaos69 I'm going to have to prove you wrong, the base game counters do not have doors/drawers on the side you place stools, actually only one has doors and they are on the side you don't place stools, as you can see in this picture:
    14b4yuo.png
    This is a picture of the other side of the island counters:
    w4emd.png

Now I haven't said anything about doors/drawers in side or corner counters, because I haven't checked and I don't usually place stools there, so I could live with it.

I get the design choice thing (I may have said that before) and if it is, they did it since Spa Day. However, the thing that bothers me is that the handles on the doors of the Cool Kitchen island counter are so massive that a Sim sitting on a stool connected to them is going to look really weird. The Spa Day ones don't bother me all that much (or I would have noticed before) because those handles are barely visible, especially if you have a, say, more diagonal camera angle (the angle at which most people commonly play/Sims 4 camera).

I hope this clarifies how I see it.
  • Options
    BrokenChaos69BrokenChaos69 Posts: 928 Member
    The blue cabinet next to the patio one clearly has the doors on the outside. So they have indeed been doing this since base game. :) Now, whether it's intentional or not is the real question.
    Gallery ID: ChaosKitten666
    I hope my Sims and lots aren't too terrible!
  • Options
    Actually I never looked at them that way, but now you mention it, those do resemble the doors that the regular counters of that type have.

But as I said, it's the handles that bother me mostly, which is mainly the issue with the new island counters from Cool Kitchen. Considering that these are the only counters in this pack that is meant for your kitchen (which may well have an island with stools) I am not particularly happy with this design choice, but that is just my opinion.
  • Options
    knazzerknazzer Posts: 3,382 Member
    They also need to fix some of the colour swatches for windows as they are not matching up with the correct swatch.
  • Options
    azsimmer1azsimmer1 Posts: 492 Member
    I've been using the counters from the Cool Kitchen against the wall.. but it would be nice to have a choice which side we want drawers.. AND which kind of end we want as well.