Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How do I get a ghost?

My poor sims spouse just died of old age. I have played this family from day 1 and she is devastated. ( I even cried I felt so sorry for her.) I have kept the urn in the house instead of releasing his spirit. The really sad part is he was an elder and she was still an adult( he didn't drink his young again potion in time.) Well I decided to have another baby (hoping for a boy),since they have 4 grown daughters with families of their own. My poor Demitrius died the night before she had the baby. Another girl. Its been almost a week and no sign of ghosts. She was a basket case for 4 days and everytime she sees the urn she breaks down. I was hoping he would come back to meet his daughter but nothing yet. So how do I get a ghost? And that plum reaper would not take her death flower!

Comments

• Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    What options do you have if you mouse over the urn?
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    ferret9005ferret9005 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Mourn, release spirit and epitath.
  • Options
    I don't know what to tell you. After a few days my ghosts are culled.I do think the very first time I had a ghost it took a few days for it to appear. If you do get the option to destroy the urn your ghost is gone.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    thewildwest48thewildwest48 Posts: 82 Member
    I'm having the same problem /:
  • Options
    I'm gonna just cry! My poor sim!
  • Options
    CementCement Posts: 3,505 Member
    Ghosts come out around 2-3 days after their passing. They'll appear at night, around 10pm-6am, unless their urns/graves are unmarked--if their graves are unmarked, they are culled/deleted from the game.
  • Options
    How do you mark the urn? I wrote an epitath.
  • Options
    Cement wrote: »
    Ghosts come out around 2-3 days after their passing. They'll appear at night, around 10pm-6am, unless their urns/graves are unmarked--if their graves are unmarked, they are culled/deleted from the game.

I had graves marked and they were still culled. The game looks at ghosts as unplayed Sims.

• Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    The ghost appears a little after midnight on the 3rd day if I remember right it's been a few months now. I make sure I have a sim green and ready to meet them when they appear. I hope you didn't sleep through it... but I doubt that. I don't know if the clock slows down for it.
    If you don't bring the ghost into your household you could lose them through culling. If you weren't home or somehow it fast forwarded through it they come every other night I think. I don't know what happens if you leave the lot.. I don't think when I'm planning to move in ghosts I ever leave. Normally I try to get them on the first go.. but sometimes I have to wait.

ivvnl0.jpg

egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    Do you think marking the tomb has be patched in somehow as making the ghosts stay. I don't know whenever I kill someone I want a playable ghost, so I wait for them :)
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    DO i Need a tombstone? I still have the urn in the house.
  • Options
    No... they come out of the tombstone too....
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    ferret9005 wrote: »
    Their name should be on the tombstone/urn like this.
    35Rlya6.png
    I had graves marked and they were still culled. The game looks at ghosts as unplayed Sims.
    Do you have proof of that? I've never had one like that. When the game culls the sim, everything that they have with their name on it disappears--paintings they painted, books they wrote, their name and image on the family tree; everyone who knew them also doesn't remember them anymore either. I don't find it possible that their name would still be on the tombstone/urn when they are culled. It's just a slab of rock or a weird pot full of ashes at that point, because no one will be able to mourn their graves. If their name is still on it, random sims can come by and cry over it even if they never met them before, as long as it was around--unless they fixed that in a patch :/
  • Options
    ferret9005 wrote: »
    Their name should be on the tombstone/urn like this.
    35Rlya6.png
    Do you have proof of that? I've never had one like that. When the game culls the sim, everything that they have with their name on it disappears--paintings they painted, books they wrote, their name and image on the family tree; everyone who knew them also doesn't remember them anymore either. I don't find it possible that their name would still be on the tombstone/urn when they are culled. It's just a slab of rock or a weird pot full of ashes at that point, because no one will be able to mourn their graves. If their name is still on it, random sims can come by and cry over it even if they never met them before, as long as it was around--unless they fixed that in a patch :/

I had an epitaph and name on my tombstones and they were still culled. If you mean marking another way I have no idea what you mean.

• Options
    SlawfishSlawfish Posts: 431 Member
    You could try telling a ghost story around the campfire, sometimes it spawns a ghost. Might be a random ghost but it's worth a try :)
  • Options
    egwarhammeregwarhammer Posts: 5,752 Member
    Slawfish wrote: »
    You could try telling a ghost story around the campfire, sometimes it spawns a ghost. Might be a random ghost but it's worth a try :)

I had a random ghost pop into my bin, first ever, while I had Bob and Eliza Pancakes camping.

It wasn't THEM, but I guess somebody somewhere on the active lot told a ghost story.

I've never had the bin just GIVE me one (before or since this one, I mean)... and I've not had any deaths (aging off most of the time), so my ghost experience is still pretty light.
  • Options
    I had an epitaph and name on my tombstones and they were still culled. If you mean marking another way I have no idea what you mean.
    I feel like we've misunderstood each other.
    I meant in my first post that as long as the name is on the tombstone, that sim is still in existence. Ex "Marked" referring to the name of the sim on the urn/tombstone. An unmarked grave in the literal sense is a blank slate of rock with no name or anything, whereas speaking figuratively it means an infinite nothingness, I think? Oh no I'm rambling
    I assumed you stated that the name stayed on the tombstone/urn when the sim was already culled. That sounded weird to me, considering culling deletes that sim's whole existence, so their names are erased from everything they've done as opposed to sims that are still in existence. I'm sorry that my word choice has confused you and that the fact that I haven't slept in a long while is probably deterring my focus on comprehension as well :s
    If you did mean the latter (sim name staying on the grave while sim was already culled) then please explain clearer how you got to that. I'd love to preserve my graves with their names on the already culled sims without writing their names in the epitaph. :(
  • Options
    Sim ShadySim Shady Posts: 297 Member
    edited August 2015
    Put their gravestone in the garden (or wherever really) and don't release their spirit to the Netherworld. All the ghosts I've done this with have come out eventually. And, as others have said, mourn them and engrave an epitaph. Unless they've already been culled, they'll come out sooner or later. I always find it cool (but also sort of annoying if I have a living Sim with the Neat trait) when I have a Sim who drowned and they come back as a ghost and leave puddles everywhere. They do have this weird and irritating habit of breaking showers and other appliances, in my experience though. Maybe it's my fault because some of my ghosts were killed off for storytelling purposes. :lol:
    duck.jpg
  • Options
    I feel like we've misunderstood each other.
    I meant in my first post that as long as the name is on the tombstone, that sim is still in existence. Ex "Marked" referring to the name of the sim on the urn/tombstone. An unmarked grave in the literal sense is a blank slate of rock with no name or anything, whereas speaking figuratively it means an infinite nothingness, I think? Oh no I'm rambling
    I assumed you stated that the name stayed on the tombstone/urn when the sim was already culled. That sounded weird to me, considering culling deletes that sim's whole existence, so their names are erased from everything they've done as opposed to sims that are still in existence. I'm sorry that my word choice has confused you and that the fact that I haven't slept in a long while is probably deterring my focus on comprehension as well :s
    If you did mean the latter (sim name staying on the grave while sim was already culled) then please explain clearer how you got to that. I'd love to preserve my graves with their names on the already culled sims without writing their names in the epitaph. :(

My tombstones became blank when the ghosts were culled.