Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Window 7 basic or pro to Windows 10 Basic or pro "Basic Video Card driver 10.0.10240.16384"

winterlocwinterloc Posts: 348 Member
Good morning all you simmers of 1,2,3.
Have you who have windows 7 basic or pro performed the amazing update to windows 10?
I did and here is my story.
Windows 10 loaded what is for me The Basic Driver titled above in the title of this post. My video cards are old and I still have ATI1950 cross fired video cards. I had a latest driver dated 6/2009. Here is what happened windows10bumped out one of my video cards and now I am running on one card. W10 also did not come with video controller drivers.

When I tried to play my sims 2 I got a black screen and just the music playing. I used task manager to get out and up comes a brief picture of the load screen looking nothing like we are use to. So I deleted the group cache file and the accessory file and still the same no game.

The Sims1 all I get is the screen where you choose a resolution 800x??? and 1024x7?? I click on any of them and nothing happens. Now no sims 1.

Sims 3 I am told by Origin I am sorry we do not recognize your video card and driver but we will do the best we can to make it work. I got into the game but it was very dark and very very slow. No point in forcing it.

I know I have a month to revert back to windows 7 however it told me I would have to re in stall some software. I am afraid I will have to try to find drivers for my video cards and video controllers. To bad these cards are no longer supported by Ati,

So I was wondering how did those of you that did the update fair with your older computers if any of you play on one that is older the 3-5 years old? Remember I am using an 8yr old computer and yes time to buy a new one. I'm waiting it out till they have a true install of windows 10 and not a windows 8.1 up graded to window 10.

So if anyone tech savvy simmers have any ideas of how to make this work with out reinstalling my games please let me know. I am using direct X11.2 that came with windows 10.

Thanks in advanced for reading this long post. Please post and tell me your story of windows 10.

Your Simmy friend,
Winterloc

Comments

• Options
    winterlocwinterloc Posts: 348 Member
    Hi all I noticed a lot of looker readers but no posters. Here is what I should have done and what you should do if you want to play your games and if you have windows 7 and you have a 500 gig hard drive or better. If you have not done your windows 10 up date yet. Do your self a favor and do a duel boot set up. That question will be asked once you start to up date with windows 10. It is called custom set up. I did this once when I went from xp to 7 and felt I did not need xp because 7 worked perfect.

When I did my up date to 10 I did not choose this option now I wish I did. So always look before you leap and check all about 10 and see if it is good for you. What you have to do is partition your hard drive and allocate some space. There are how to out on the net on how to do this.

Once you do a duel boot you can see how you like windows 10 and if you do not you can still use your windows 7 O.S.

Your Simmy friend,
    Winterloc