Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Don't get windows 10

emmaningemmaning Posts: 3,407 Member
So here are some links on why Windows 10 is a bad thing with hidden fees for basic windows staples.
Downgrade if it's too late and don't get it if you haven't yet.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/08/05/windows-10-charging/
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2953158/windows/microsoft-wants-you-to-pay-for-solitaire-again-in-windows-10.html
http://www.alphr.com/microsoft/microsoft-windows-10/1001324/microsoft-is-charging-windows-10-users-to-watch-dvds

Windows free staples that come as part of the deal are becoming paid features.
Seriously, should I have to pay $14.99 (probably per month) just to run my own dvd on my PC?
When I could previously play them for free (or get open-source software like VLC, also free) and have more features like playback?
I'm not so bothered about solitare but it bothers me a bit because they could've chopped it out, paying for a free feature that's been free for a long time as a windows staple is wrong in my opinon.
There is always VLC media player but I'm sure many of us can go without solitare.
Upgrade if you want but remember you should downgrade when you spot more missing windows staples that you'll be charged for soon.

Just saying.
feKqkxf.jpg

My blog: ning's backlog
Don't forget the forum rules are on the forum- go find 'em!

Comments

• Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    You can always install third-party DVD watching software. o:)

I am fine about Solitaire, because I do not care. :p
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • emmaningemmaning Posts: 3,407 Member
    You can always install third-party DVD watching software. o:)

I am fine about Solitaire, because I do not care. :p

I'm fine about solitare too but it might bother some people.
    You shouldn't have to install third-party software just to watch a dvd: with previous windows you could use either.
    These are windows staples so I should get them for free if at all with my windows package without having to pay extra.
    feKqkxf.jpg

• Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.

I know but maybe by not using windows 10 MSOFT might realise what we demand.
    VLC is a decent alternative but; should I have to download an external alternative?
    feKqkxf.jpg

• Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    I'm also not bothered by this.

BTW when I upgraded Windows Media Player stayed on my computer :o
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    edited August 2015
    I'm sorry but telling people to either downgrade or not upgrade is silly. Just because you do not want to upgrade does not mean everything else shares your same opinion.
    I have always used third party software for watching a DVD. And I don't think anyone is really concerned about solitaire. I couldn't be happier with Windows 10.
    This is your own opinion.
    And what's more is, it shouldn't be in the SIMS 4 tech thread, it has nothing to do with the game.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

I'm sorry but telling people to either downgrade or not upgrade is silly. Just because you do not want to upgrade does not mean everything else shares your same opinion.
    I have always used third party software for watching a DVD. And I don't think anyone is really concerned about solitaire. I couldn't be happier with Windows 10.
    This is your own opinion.
    And what's more is, it shouldn't be in the SIMS 4 tech thread, it has nothing to do with the game.

-oops- I don't care about solitare but we should at least be able to play DVDs for free on a windows PC. I mean having to use third party software not by your own choice just to do a simple thing is wrong. Solitare is boring but I'm sure if we find other missing windows staples they'll make us pay for that too. I'm just warning people.
    feKqkxf.jpg

I think there has been threads about this before, and third party software is imo allot better for watching movies.. so I don't see the problem.
    Windows 10 is a good OS.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• DarkSuperNinjaDarkSuperNinja Posts: 1,204 Member
    edited August 2015
    I know multiple people who have had ALOT of computer problems with Windows 10, so that's one of m main reasons, as well as the fact that I'm perfectly content with Windows 7!

(also, the update hasn't come up on my PC, so I can't get it anyway...)
    I know multiple people who have had ALOT of computer problems with Windows 10, so that's one of m main reasons, as well as the fact that I'm perfectly content with Windows 7!

(also, the update hasn't come up on my PC, so I can't get it anyway...)
    You can get it from Microsoft website.

i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• DarkSuperNinjaDarkSuperNinja Posts: 1,204 Member
    I'm still going to wait and see what happens, as I'm not having any issues with Windows 7 (fingers crossed) and I've got a full year to decide anyway!
    I'm still going to wait and see what happens, as I'm not having any issues with Windows 7 (fingers crossed) and I've got a full year to decide anyway!
    Windows 7 is good, And it doesn't hurt to wait, But its good to know that others have tested it with the sims and it works really well (works with all of my games.. no issues.)
    If you had Windows 8.1 i would advice you to upgrade.. Because 8.1 sucks lol.

i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• james64468james64468 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Windows 7 is good, And it doesn't hurt to wait, But its good to know that others have tested it with the sims and it works really well (works with all of my games.. no issues.)

Yeah that only reason I upgraded my computer is because I had 8.1.
    james64468 wrote: »

Yeah that only reason I upgraded my computer is because I had 8.1.
    Yup 8.1 is terrible. i upgraded my 8.1 laptop first, But liked 10 so much i also upgraded my windows 7 desktop.

i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• cale2003cale2003 Posts: 2,802 Member
    edited August 2015
    I'm pretty sure you had to download VLC to play DVD in 8/8.1 too...Atleast I had to

EDIT: I think if you had Media Center on 8.1/8 you didnt have to but its not that hard to download VLC.
    PC Specs:
    Asus ROG GL753VE-BS71 17.3 inch
    Intel Core i7 7700HQ 2.8-3.8GHz
    16GB DDR4 RAM
    128GB SSD
    1TB 7200RPM HDD
    NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1050 TI 4GB
    6685561181.png
    Rogers Ignite 70u internet
  • Fairy_HappyFairy_Happy Posts: 8,901 Member
    Ok the Solitaire thing doesn't bother me because Solitaire is boring in my opinion, but charging people to watch DVDs on their own computer? What a bunch of bullcrocky!
  • EsnesNommocEsnesNommoc Posts: 1,243 Member
    The whole Solitaire thing, there is no ads when you play alone, play games alone, there is only ad when you join the Daily Challenges, which is a new feature of Solitaire Collection. So it's kinda fair imo. <(")
  • InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    Windows 10 is going to make my job harder because I have to help get students' computers on the university wifi network once the semester starts, and as of right now we can't get Windows 10 machines onto the network without some experimental fixes.
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    So far, the taskbar freezes on me at times, and the only solution is to reboot. This is probably the first time that's happened to me on a Windows.

Windows 10 also seems to fight against me tailoring my settings, because it keeps reinstalling the touchpad driver that doesn't support middle button clicks, and it keeps making Edge the default browser.

I'm seriously hoping they'll fix these soon enough. I don't think it's worth rolling back to 8.1, but so far my first experiences with Windows 10 have been less than stellar.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Ping YoPing Yo Posts: 1,263 Member
    I have windows 1,000,000,000 is that okay?
    ]
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,590 Member
    Okay, but what if I actually bought Windows 10, which I did?
    As long as Windows Media Player is free, I'm happy.
    I'm already using CyberPower to play DVDs.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • Ping YoPing Yo Posts: 1,263 Member
    DeKay wrote: »
    Okay, but what if I actually bought Windows 10, which I did?
    As long as Windows Media Player is free, I'm happy.
    I'm already using CyberPower to play DVDs.

hello, pale sim. I own a dial up. What primitive pc do you own?
    ]
  • TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I've decided to stick with Windows 7 because I also heard about Windows 10 having automatic updates with no way of disabling that.I've had to go through a major ordeal to get that disabled in Opera which is wrong because they took the option to disable the updates easily away.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
    cale2003 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure you had to download VLC to play DVD in 8/8.1 too...Atleast I had to

EDIT: I think if you had Media Center on 8.1/8 you didnt have to but its not that hard to download VLC.

Fair enough not including it but not including it then charging you for it is where the issue comes.
    I don't think it was with just windows 8/8.1 and you might've had to download it but at least they didn't charge you for it.
    'Windows 10 is free when you pay us small amounts to complete it' or you could get freeware.
    feKqkxf.jpg

• friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    excuse me but I am a windows 10 user and do not have any problem and windows 10 is running smoothly
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(