Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Needing some advice.

Hello fellow techies, I come to you hoping for some ideas. But first, my situation:
I'm a cc user and my mods folder is atound 3.3gb. I've never worried much about it, as I have a gaming computer (gtx960, i53570k, 16 gb of ram, all drivers updated - except I'm still on 8.1 win due to not enough time to update) and since yesterday I have a ram issue.

My legacy family has a 3.1-3.2 memory usage. It's a full family, with a fairly large house containing cc, but 2 days ago it only required 2.5gb. I downsized the mods folder from 4 to 3.3, checked everything to make sure there's no conflict, literally nothing helped. It just doesn't make any sense to me why this is happening, especially since sometimes when i open the save it's at 2,7 and other times it even goes to 3.4. The only way to town down some ram was to take off vsync (my game doesn't go to insane fps so it's fine as temporary fix).

So I come to you asking for ideas - is there any way to help this other than taking out the mods folder?
hhHD2XB.png
My tumblr - A world of clutter and color

Comments

• ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    hey @Amiutza :)

first your system is more then well designed for CC and 3gb is very moderate amount. i typically run end up with sims 20-30gb of CC near the end of series

as for ram usage first lets confirm the amount of ram the game is using. the important number you want to pull from the task manager is the private set of memory ts4.exe is using. im on windows 7 and the number is kb you can convert on google to digital gb. i just launched the game and my is 1.8gb.
  • emmaningemmaning Posts: 3,407 Member
    Just think these facts might be relevant.
    Altho a 64-bit version of sims 4 is in the works, it's currently 32-bit for PC and the Mac version has always been 64-bit.
    Presuming this is a PC, it can only utilise 4gb of that 16gb ram you have for sims 4, the other 12gb will mostly go to waste while some is used for windows. It currently doesn't use more ram so a person with anything over the 4gb mark, no matter how much they have a person with 8gb ram will have the same experience of ram with this game currently as a person with 32gb ram would. It isn't an issue with your PC.
    You might want to check (to make sure) that all of your ram sticks are identical and working.
    feKqkxf.jpg

My blog: ning's backlog
    Don't forget the forum rules are on the forum- go find 'em!
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    Have a large family . Vanilla game uses just over 3 gb of ram. The game can use only up to 4gb of ram because its a 32 bit for pc
    edited August 2015
    the game is not LAA or large address aware - so it should be limited to 2gb of ram. this is a hard programming rule.

basic addressable ram rules:
    32-bit applications on 32-bit platforms can address up to 2 GB.
    32-bit applications built with the /LARGEADDRESSAWARE:YES linker flag on 32-bit Windows XP or Windows Server 2003 with the special /3gb boot option can address up to 3 GB. This constrains the kernel to only 1 GB which may cause some drivers and/or services to fail.

32-bit applications built with the /LARGEADDRESSAWARE:YES linker flag on the 32-bit editions of Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, and Windows 7 can address memory up to the number specified by the boot configuration data (BCD) element IncreaseUserVa. IncreaseUserVa can have a value ranging from 2048, the default, to 3072 (which matches the amount of memory configured by the /3gb boot option on Windows XP). The remainder of 4 GB is allocated to the kernel and can result in failing driver and service configurations.

For more information about BCD, see Boot Configuration Data on MSDN.
    32-bit applications on 64-bit platforms can address up to 2 GB, or up to 4 GB with the /LARGEADDRESSAWARE:YES linker flag.
    64-bit applications use 43 bits for addressing, which provides 8 TB of virtual address for applications and 8 TB reserved for the kernel.
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    @Amiutza your on 64 bit so the game will use more than 2gb of ram. @chesterbigbird and I have both tested this game and it will use a little over 3gb of ram. 64 bit computer can access more ram than a 32 bit computer. The game requires 4gb of ram and a 64 bit computer.

This works the same way for the sims 3. It is normal for your computer to be accessing more than 3 gb of ram on this game. It just wont exceed 4gb because the game was programed 32 bit.
    @Amiutza your on 64 bit so the game will use more than 2gb of ram. @chesterbigbird and I have both tested this game and it will use a little over 3gb of ram. 64 bit computer can access more ram than a 32 bit computer. The game requires 4gb of ram and a 64 bit computer.

This works the same way for the sims 3. It is normal for your computer to be accessing more than 3 gb of ram on this game. It just wont exceed 4gb because the game was programed 32 bit.

unless the game is LAA it cant use more than the 32 bit program allows. and a 64 bit platform does not change the program rules see MS basic rules i posted above. one way to avoid confusion is to post screenshots your your task manager showing the private memory use of the game.
  • chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    1f16511c-1ec2-4b14-972b-2e393f7c8cde_zps0dks2kpb.png
    This is on a fresh save, i have seen it hit 3GB on older saves.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

• popalopnpopalopn Posts: 95 Member
    I've seen some simmers comment on the latest patch causing the game to use over 3GBs of ram. If you updated too you may be experiencing the same problem. Unfortunately I do not know a fix. :'(
    One thing you learn when you've lived as long as I have - people aren't all good , and people aren't all bad. We move in and out of darkness and light all of our lives.
    -Neal Shusterman, Unwind.
  • AmiutzaAmiutza Posts: 1,796 Member
    Thank you so much for the replies. @ceejay402, my game sadly uses 3gb momentarily, I can post a screenshot if you like. I play with task manager open on the other monitor so I can always keep it in check. What worries me: 1)this is a fresh save 2)if I put vsyinc on, it goes even up to 3.4.

@popalopn thank you for telling me, I thought I was the only one. Do you happen to have any links to the other people saying the same?
    hhHD2XB.png
    edited August 2015
    @Amiutza It was on the second page of the 64 bit thread in general discussion.

Edit: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/848832/sims-4-gets-maybe-64-bit-version/p2 heres the link.
    One thing you learn when you've lived as long as I have - people aren't all good , and people aren't all bad. We move in and out of darkness and light all of our lives.
    popalopn wrote: »
    @Amiutza It was on the second page of the 64 bit thread in general discussion.

Edit: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/848832/sims-4-gets-maybe-64-bit-version/p2 heres the link.
    Sadly, that was me as well :( I know there are some people having issues after the patch, I just don't know if it's the same one.
    hhHD2XB.png
    Oh, oops... I should have checked. :/
    popalopn wrote: »
    Oh, oops... I should have checked. :/
    It's no problem, no worries!

hhHD2XB.png
    Amiutza wrote: »
    Thank you so much for the replies. @ceejay402, my game sadly uses 3gb momentarily, I can post a screenshot if you like. I play with task manager open on the other monitor so I can always keep it in check. What worries me: 1)this is a fresh save 2)if I put vsyinc on, it goes even up to 3.4.

@popalopn thank you for telling me, I thought I was the only one. Do you happen to have any links to the other people saying the same?

Yes please post screenshots thanks!
    The game has used more than 2GB before the recent patch, Maybe in theory its not suppose to use more than 2GB.. However it does.

i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

This should be shared and private combined do you have the break down of just private memory use, thanks
    Here it is: GEGc5Sb.png

And chester is right, the game definitely somehow always used more than 2GB. Th tops I've ever had was like 2.8 on a 50x50 lot, 8 sims 4 generations in, cc included. So this situation is very strange to me.
    hhHD2XB.png
    ceejay402 wrote: »

This should be shared and private combined do you have the break down of just private memory use, thanks
    I would have to go back into the game and take another pic. Will see what i can do.

i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

and to follow up this isnt 3gb but little over 2 at 2.11gb and as i understand it this is share/private are combine measurement as i understand win 8 and its private that i understand as the measure of a specific program ram usage
    i just went into game on a fresh save.. as i have no older ones, the private use was hitting the 2.2GB mark.
    The game DOES use over 2GB.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

49fc0ecb-9bd9-43e5-9f5d-a0ba513e2707_zps6eoqs7x2.png
    (Sorry its a lousy pic.)
    But again im not the best person to test as i have no older saves.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

i just went into game on a fresh save.. as i have no older ones, the private use was hitting the 2.2GB mark.
    Chester, could you test something for me? Could you maybe add a family of 8 and a large house from the gallery or something and look at the ram? If it's not too much to ask. My save is fresh too so I'm baffled right now.
    hhHD2XB.png
    Chester, could you test something for me? Could you maybe add a family of 8 and a large house from the gallery or something and look at the ram? If it's not too much to ask. My save is fresh too so I'm baffled right now.
    Will do, But might take some time.. im going to be a little busy soon.
    But will test it out.

i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

Will do, But might take some time.. im going to be a little busy soon.
    But will test it out.

No worries, whenever you have time.
    hhHD2XB.png
    Here it is: GEGc5Sb.png

And chester is right, the game definitely somehow always used more than 2GB. Th tops I've ever had was like 2.8 on a 50x50 lot, 8 sims 4 generations in, cc included. So this situation is very strange to me.

this is amazing and something is going on here. ok im going to have to put on my thinking cap like a big open question for me is this because its 8? which i have never seen any MS rules to 32 bit making an 8 exception to 32 bit and the 32 bit rule is old like very very old or is this an indication that the shared part of it is too much. i have seen postings of win 8 issues with ram usage i just need to do more research.

also when 3 was made LAA it was significant news and had an instant impact to players and it was around the time one would think it would be needed when pets was released. i havent seen anything about 4 being laa nor does my windows 7 show its the case and it should if it was.

now i tried to figure out the steps to unravel your posted number again what ive read is this is combined shared/private and for 7 this is broken out so you know what is just being used by the program and what is being shared with others. can you see if you can get just the private set number. if its significantly less then shared then that will tell us more about root issue.