Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What Is Your Favorite Thing About UL?

Hi! So I got this EP awhile ago, but I just started playing it again, and remembered a lot of the things I loved-and hated- about it! I really love meeting new sims and decorating my dorm (I usually place my sims in dorms, not sororities or fraternities or houses). But classes and the inability to make friends (my sims just aren't friend material I guess :tongue: ) were (and are) my nightmare.

I was wondering what your University Life Ups and Downs were? Thanks for any responses :smile:

Comments

• TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    I often send sims for just a class or two (always for 2 weeks) and use that time to do things like achieve time consuming wishes (like paint 5+ masterpieces) or work on the 20 friends charisma skill challenge. I often play large families and only take 1 or two sims to Uni at a time, so it's a nice break from the overstuffed household I usually play. I also love the 3 social group hangouts. I'll often set up shop at one of them after sending my sims to class and have them come and go as needed, only sending them back to the dorm to sleep. (I've set up Late Night bars in all 3 locations so there's always food available.)

I should note that I use NRaas Relativity which lets me slow down the game clock. That gives much more time than usual to get things done (and to get to class from the dorms). The last time I played Uni without Relativity I found it rather difficult, lol.
  • KandyKandy Posts: 2,008 Member
    TreyNutz wrote: »
    I often send sims for just a class or two (always for 2 weeks) and use that time to do things like achieve time consuming wishes (like paint 5+ masterpieces) or work on the 20 friends charisma skill challenge. I often play large families and only take 1 or two sims to Uni at a time, so it's a nice break from the overstuffed household I usually play. I also love the 3 social group hangouts. I'll often set up shop at one of them after sending my sims to class and have them come and go as needed, only sending them back to the dorm to sleep. (I've set up Late Night bars in all 3 locations so there's always food available.)

I should note that I use NRaas Relativity which lets me slow down the game clock. That gives much more time than usual to get things done (and to get to class from the dorms). The last time I played Uni without Relativity I found it rather difficult, lol.

Yes getting from class to class and such can be very time consuming! :wink:
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    I tend to play Sims with artistic skills, and far and away the easiest major for me is Fine Arts. The class skill object is itself fun, and my Sims can paint and play instruments - also fun - to raise academic performance. Finally, since Culinary career is tied to Fine Arts, gaining Cooking skill also improves academic performance. While I usually have my Sims serve meals even if single, then live on leftovers, at Uni with a FA major I usually take the time to cook individual meals.

Ran into trouble with this, though, with the Sim I had raised from toddlerhood in Generations - his Painting skill was already maxed before University, so I sent him for Communications instead to advance Writing - his LTW is Illustrious Author.

I also find that my limit is about two Sims, taking at most two classes, over two weeks. One class over two weeks is better for making the most of extracurricular opportunities and progressing Social group standing.
  • ChimarkChimark Posts: 2,166 Member
    I love the items that came with the EP. Even if you never use the EP, the items are awesome. I also like the Townies (students). I know a lot of people said, when it first came out, the townies were ugly but I like them.

The EP can get repetitive but it's like a good "once in a while friend." Someone you don't want to see every day but is good to get with once a month.
    Some of the townies are really cute - I think Eddie Mullins is my fave, but he's hard to track down, due to being a loner by nature.

I agree that the build/buy and Create a Sim assets are outstanding, and I use them all the time. :)
  • lordadlordad Posts: 6 New Member
    edited August 2015
    I like it because I can get free money everyday by apply for extra funds
  • KatryaKatrya Posts: 237 Member
    I am pretty sure that this guy is my favorite part of University... My sim met him there, and now they are engaged back in her home world. Eddy Mullis is one of my favorite pre-made sims.

Screenshot-568_zpsgjtpakoq.jpg

I have also really enjoyed redecorating the hangouts at University.
    Eddie Mullis is pretty. Just be sure you can cook Vegetarian. ;)
  • KatryaKatrya Posts: 237 Member
    Sindocat wrote: »
    Yeah, we have had that problem, :) Poor guy. I haven't even changed anything about him and I still love him. I have to get these two married now.
    I tend to play Sims with artistic skills, and far and away the easiest major for me is Fine Arts. The class skill object is itself fun, and my Sims can paint and play instruments - also fun - to raise academic performance. Finally, since Culinary career is tied to Fine Arts, gaining Cooking skill also improves academic performance. While I usually have my Sims serve meals even if single, then live on leftovers, at Uni with a FA major I usually take the time to cook individual meals.

Ran into trouble with this, though, with the Sim I had raised from toddlerhood in Generations - his Painting skill was already maxed before University, so I sent him for Communications instead to advance Writing - his LTW is Illustrious Author.

I also find that my limit is about two Sims, taking at most two classes, over two weeks. One class over two weeks is better for making the most of extracurricular opportunities and progressing Social group standing.

Very true! More than two sims can be hard to handle.
    Chimark wrote: »
    I love the items that came with the EP. Even if you never use the EP, the items are awesome. I also like the Townies (students). I know a lot of people said, when it first came out, the townies were ugly but I like them.

The EP can get repetitive but it's like a good "once in a while friend." Someone you don't want to see every day but is good to get with once a month.

Yes! It can get boring if it is all you play, but sending one kid a generation or something like that gives me a nice break in between each UL playthrough.
    Some of the townies are really cute - I think Eddie Mullins is my fave, but he's hard to track down, due to being a loner by nature.

I agree that the build/buy and Create a Sim assets are outstanding, and I use them all the time. :)

I really loved the clothing that came with it :smile:
    Katrya wrote: »
    I am pretty sure that this guy is my favorite part of University... My sim met him there, and now they are engaged back in her home world. Eddy Mullis is one of my favorite pre-made sims.

Screenshot-568_zpsgjtpakoq.jpg

I have also really enjoyed redecorating the hangouts at University.

Haha I tracked him down once...

and got rejected. :disappointed:
    Katrya wrote: »
    Yeah, we have had that problem, :) Poor guy. I haven't even changed anything about him and I still love him. I have to get these two married now.

Lucky you! And very true :smirk:
  • SimiLovaSimiLova Posts: 1,123 Member
    I love the new science skill and being able to take DNA samples and such from other sims so I can start cloning people lol. In real life cloning does not interest me at all but for some reason I get a real kick out of doing it to sims. I still love their frat and sorority house ideal. But in my game, not sure if it is true for any one else, but it seems like if I ever send a guy or a girl to either of the houses, the game turns them insta-gay! I have nothing at all against homosexuals or homosexual relationships at all. But sometimes I wish my game would stop treating either house like it's an all girls or all boys boarding school situation and more like a place where you can make some fast friends and throw parties, hang out. And invite the boys over you like or the girls over to which ever house. Even respect the fact that some of the female or male sims in the house already might ALREADY have boyfriends or girlfriends.
    SimiLova wrote: »
    I love the new science skill and being able to take DNA samples and such from other sims so I can start cloning people lol. In real life cloning does not interest me at all but for some reason I get a real kick out of doing it to sims. I still love their frat and sorority house ideal. But in my game, not sure if it is true for any one else, but it seems like if I ever send a guy or a girl to either of the houses, the game turns them insta-gay! I have nothing at all against homosexuals or homosexual relationships at all. But sometimes I wish my game would stop treating either house like it's an all girls or all boys boarding school situation and more like a place where you can make some fast friends and throw parties, hang out. And invite the boys over you like or the girls over to which ever house. Even respect the fact that some of the female or male sims in the house already might ALREADY have boyfriends or girlfriends.

Haha really? I've only ever played in dorms, so my sims are typically lots of different sexualities. But wow :joy: I get your frustration. I kind of want to play a sorority household now... for some reason.

And yes! I love the (if little) scientific aspects it brings into the game!
    SimiLova wrote: »
    I love the new science skill and being able to take DNA samples and such from other sims so I can start cloning people lol. In real life cloning does not interest me at all but for some reason I get a real kick out of doing it to sims. I still love their frat and sorority house ideal. But in my game, not sure if it is true for any one else, but it seems like if I ever send a guy or a girl to either of the houses, the game turns them insta-gay!

>.> I totally didn't put a sauna, massage table and hot tub in the basement weight room with that in mind when I built my frat house. :D Okay - yes, I did. But even so, I have only seen the game match up one pair of fratmates without my intervention. So it sounds like your "over the rainbow frat house follies" were just the RNG getting a little overenthusiastic.

I have never moved in to the premade frat house ore played that household, though - maybe that crowd has some built in compatibilities.
  • SincerboxSincerbox Posts: 2,279 Member
    edited September 2015
    Hard to answer this one. I am always finding new things that I hadn't thought to try before. I just had my sim throw a destination party at the swimming pool lot in University. That is a really nice venue for parties. I loved how the sims actually used the loungers around the pools. My sim grilled hot dogs, the sims danced, played foosball and pool, swam in the pool and had a keg. It was neat to see the sims doing all the activities. Best The Sims 3 party my sims have thrown.
    Post edited by Sincerbox on
    Origin ID: Barbara917
  • lasummerblasummerb Posts: 2,761 Member
    For my slacker Sims, they like to have parties or go to parties, skip class, study very little and show up for exams. I also like to send my Sims who are good students to the library and have study groups or meet up at the coffee shop.
    Sincerbox wrote: »
    Hard to answer this one. I am always finding new things that I hadn't thought to try before. I just had my sim throw a destination party at the swimming pool lot in University. That is a really nice venue for parties. I loved how the sims actually used the loungers around the pools. My sim grilled hot dogs, the sims danced, played foosball and pool, swam in the pool and had a keg. It was neat to see the sims doing all the activities. Best The Sims 3 party my sims have thrown.

That sounds amazing!
    lasummerb wrote: »
    For my slacker Sims, they like to have parties or go to parties, skip class, study very little and show up for exams. I also like to send my Sims who are good students to the library and have study groups or meet up at the coffee shop.

Me too. Though my university going sims tend to be extremely studious. I won't allow them to attend if they won't work :lol:
  • MiyuEmiMiyuEmi Posts: 2,404 Member
    I enjoy the fact that university allows me to flesh my sims story. I won't usually send generation after generation to uni, just, usually, the first and maybe a second or third generation but that's it. It allows me to get more backstory for my sims particularly if they're newly created and I'm planning a legacy story for them.
    Screenshot-56.jpg[/img]
    Crowley Family Legacy Patriarch - Jonah Crowley
    MiyuEmi wrote: »
    I enjoy the fact that university allows me to flesh my sims story. I won't usually send generation after generation to uni, just, usually, the first and maybe a second or third generation but that's it. It allows me to get more backstory for my sims particularly if they're newly created and I'm planning a legacy story for them.

I usually just send sims if I feel that I need to flesh them out a bit- if their life is all planned out? I'm not wasting money for them to go to Uni :lol: