May 23rd - It's time for a new Laundry List! You can read more on what's coming next here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 - FPS Drop when zoomed out.

Hello,

Since I have installed Spa Day DLC, I have noticed that both Magnolia Promenade and Newcrest suffer extreme drops in frames as I pan out the camera. When fully zoomed out I achieve 20fps.

My set up is
- Intel Core i5 - 4670K
- Nvidea Geforce GTX 780ti (3gb)
- 16gb RAM
- Installed on a 2tb harddisk (400gb free).

The game runs well above 60 at all times(in the 100 when fully zoomed in.

I am running the game on a 1920x1080 resolution with all settings maxed, including uncompressed sim textures. Laptop mode is not enabled.

I am not running a virus scanner while playing, with only Steam (idle not downloading) and Origin open.

I have all the DLC. Is this normal to experience. I can never recall finding these problems before.

To note I have also "repaired the game". Nothing was needed to be repaired.

Thanks for the help

JB

Comments

• Options
    theonetheonlyjdbtheonetheonlyjdb Posts: 32 Member
    edited July 2015
    Edit: Just tested the Willow Creek and Oasis Springs, framerate only falls to 51 when zoomed out.

No custom content installed. Also tried deleting my documents folder so it was a blank save...
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    edited July 2015
    yep this has happen to many and been reported to a Guru. The game is not optimized well at all. The new patch made it worse. Many high end getting huge fps drops int the 20's and teens. You should be using Vsync so you dont get screen tearing. On nvidia control panel under 3d settings add the sims 4 game and scroll down put vsync on adaptive. Your card is too high to play without vsync
  • Options
    Thanks phoebebe13,

I use adaptive, yes.

I play alot of old games that would otherwise reach 600 frame per second. Plus it keeps the card being overworked unnecessarily.

I only turned it off to see the extent to which the frame peaked and dropped.

Is there a patch down the line to address this? Considering the strategic direction to have separate lots in Sims 4 (opposed to the open world in Sims 3 - which by the way I am a fan of, I enjoy loading into a plot with 10 NPCs there. Sometimes Sims 3 felt like a ghost town).

However, the frame and increased loading times shall really undo alot of the charm about the Sims 4!

JB
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Thanks phoebebe13,

I use adaptive, yes.

I play alot of old games that would otherwise reach 600 frame per second. Plus it keeps the card being overworked unnecessarily.

I only turned it off to see the extent to which the frame peaked and dropped.

Is there a patch down the line to address this? Considering the strategic direction to have separate lots in Sims 4 (opposed to the open world in Sims 3 - which by the way I am a fan of, I enjoy loading into a plot with 10 NPCs there. Sometimes Sims 3 felt like a ghost town).

However, the frame and increased loading times shall really undo alot of the charm about the Sims 4!

JB

The fps was always messed up in this game. My 770m laptop 60 fps would drop into the 40's . Since the new patch my max is 40 fps and drops int the 20's and I am on vanilla game. Now the sims 3 I play on high game fully loaded 60 fps with vsync 1080p no fps drops. The sims 3 I will get 200 fps without vsync. My vsync is no doubt working but since the new sims 4 patch it did something. There are people in here with higher desktop cards dropping to 15 fps since the new sims 4 patch
  • Options
    Shame as on day one, this game ran beautifully. I feel your pain too.
  • Options
    Shame as on day one, this game ran beautifully. I feel your pain too.

What ever it is its effecting both AMD and Nvidia. My son's EVGA 960 superclock 4gb als gets 60 to 40 fps. I have to test it since the new patch to see what damage this fps issue has done. My son gets 60 fps on GTA V
  • Options
    Same. Only this game and Project Cars makes my fps drop below 60. GTA V, Bioshock Inf etc all fine.
  • Options
    Same. Only this game and Project Cars makes my fps drop below 60. GTA V, Bioshock Inf etc all fine.

I have never played project cars but the sims 4 is messed up. This patch just made it worse. I let the sim Gurus know and they were checking into it so all we can do is hope for a fix and it does not get worse as they add more
  • Options
    chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    Hello,

Since I have installed Spa Day DLC, I have noticed that both Magnolia Promenade and Newcrest suffer extreme drops in frames as I pan out the camera. When fully zoomed out I achieve 20fps.

My set up is
    - Intel Core i5 - 4670K
    - Nvidea Geforce GTX 780ti (3gb)
    - 16gb RAM
    - Installed on a 2tb harddisk (400gb free).

The game runs well above 60 at all times(in the 100 when fully zoomed in.

I am running the game on a 1920x1080 resolution with all settings maxed, including uncompressed sim textures. Laptop mode is not enabled.

I am not running a virus scanner while playing, with only Steam (idle not downloading) and Origin open.

I have all the DLC. Is this normal to experience. I can never recall finding these problems before.

To note I have also "repaired the game". Nothing was needed to be repaired.

Thanks for the help

JB
    I can confirm it's not just you, my fps drops when zoomed out also.. I tested in newcrest and it dropped to 40 sometimes lower, also get stutter when scrolling. I have GTX 970 overclocked.

i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    I zoomed out earlier and it only dropped to 57.

Scrolling did not get any stutter for me. :p
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • Options
    I zoomed out earlier and it only dropped to 57.

Scrolling did not get any stutter for me. :p
    Yeah sure colton.
    When you zoom out in a populated area.. with more then 2 lots in focus and you scroll around..(using the arrow keys.) the fps will drop. No matter your pc.. it WILL drop.
    Its because the pc has got to render everything that comes into focus.. and with this game the FPS will drop. On a single lot it may not drop But the more you have in focus the more it renders the more the fps will drop.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    Also if your aim is to brag.. then don't. its annoying. >:)
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    Sorry. D:
  • Options
    Sorry. D:
    Lol colton.. don't say sorry, just don't gloat :D

i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    Okay. :p