Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Short Story Challenges: October: So Spooky

Comments

• Options
    CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    Well, crap. I have a great idea but it's the same idea I have for Season 6 of LoTS. Shoot. Oh well.

Well, if you write it here first, then it's not recycling material for the contest! I think it would be fine!
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    swcheppesswcheppes Posts: 3,027 Member
    Okay, I guess I'm gonna be "that" person and submit my entry super early! :lol:

Like I said, this first challenge was so awesome that it actually inspired me to develop a whole story around it! But here is the original short that I came up with (which now serves as the first chapter of my story!).

9vc5PLn.jpg

Note: The screenshots are pretty important to this story... I'll say no more than that ;)

Yeah for being first!
    suRdkSd.jpg
  • Options
    RivieRivie Posts: 782 Member
    I have a question, does the title have to include firsts or not necessarily?
    Rivie aka Lux Conant
    kingsonfam.png
    Kingson Family thread - Updates, Behind the scenes, Sneak peeks and more...
    The Abandoned Lot - Kingson family How the story begins...
  • Options
    Carewren123Carewren123 Posts: 2,658 Member
    Rivie wrote: »
    I have a question, does the title have to include firsts or not necessarily?

Not necessarily. The story just has the include some sort of first.
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:
    Wren's Nest * * * Get a CLUE

Completed Stories: Ana Pringle

My Main Site: Carewren123 Sim Stories
    YouTube Channel: Carewren123 Sims
    Monthly Short Story Challenge Thread: Current Theme: April: Choose your screenshots.
  • Options
    CathyTea wrote: »
    Rivie wrote: »
    I want to participate here because I wanted to give my other Sims a voice and I started writing one last night before I went to bed. I had a dream that @Carewren123, since she made this thread, was going to grade our stories. We were in a big classroom but each of us had to go up to her and read her our stories. :blush:

I am glad that's not the case. Writing is one thing but having to read it out loud would be too much :fearful:

Fortunately for all of us, Carewren123 is an AWESOME teacher! :) She empowers her students to learn and discover their own voices! :)

Awww :blush:
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:

Monthly Short Story Challenge Thread: Current Theme: April: Choose your screenshots.
  • Options
    RivieRivie Posts: 782 Member
    Okay, thank you
    Rivie aka Lux Conant
    kingsonfam.png
    Kingson Family thread - Updates, Behind the scenes, Sneak peeks and more...
    The Abandoned Lot - Kingson family How the story begins...
  • Options
    DavidMCSessyDavidMCSessy Posts: 1,148 Member
    I'd like to see the banners, but I see that the images can not be displayed.

I really like the idea for this thing, really! I can't wait!
    5k381e.png

My TumblrMy Twitter
  • Options
    I'd like to see the banners, but I see that the images can not be displayed.

I really like the idea for this thing, really! I can't wait!

Sorry I just cleared out some room on my imgur account. I have them uploaded on Google docs. I'll share them again in a minute.
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:

• Options
    Here's an example @DavidMcSessy
    vSQ76Yn.png?1
    There will be banners for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place. And the little ribbon at the bottom is where the month and year will appear. So if you win you get a banner specifically for that month. This way you can display a collection of them if you eventually win more than one challenge :)
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:

• Options
    moonswirlsmoonswirls Posts: 2,350 Member
    Personally I have no ideas for this coming month, but if I have ideas for any month I'll definitely put a story in! I'm gunna get all them ribbooons :3
  • Options
    vSQ76Yn.png?1
    There will be banners for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place. And the little ribbon at the bottom is where the month and year will appear. So if you win you get a banner specifically for that month. This way you can display a collection of them if you eventually win more than one challenge :)

It would have been so cool if we could have thematic ones for every month. There are so many Sims icons that are just crying to be used. Lol
    5k381e.png

My TumblrMy Twitter
  • Options
    vSQ76Yn.png?1

It would have been so cool if we could have thematic ones for every month. There are so many Sims icons that are just crying to be used. Lol

Sorry but I don't have the time to commit to doing a new banner for every month. It may not seem like much but these actually took me a while to put together. :neutral: So if you or anyone else wants to volunteer to do the thematic ones I would love it. I didn't think of using the Sims icons until after I made these. I would have liked that too, but I like the ones I made so decided to just stick with it. But again if you want to make a different version, you're more than welcome too.
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:

• Options
    vSQ76Yn.png?1

Sorry but I don't have the time to commit to doing a new banner for every month. It may not seem like much but these actually took me a while to put together. :neutral: So if you or anyone else wants to volunteer to do the thematic ones I would love it. I didn't think of using the Sims icons until after I made these. I would have liked that too, but I like the ones I made so decided to just stick with it. But again if you want to make a different version, you're more than welcome too.

I'd be more than happy to help you. :)

5k381e.png

My TumblrMy Twitter
  • Options
    MunterbaconMunterbacon Posts: 5,082 Member
    Just finished my 1st draft and boy am I excited!!! Will wrap up Ironbound for the season and then work on this =)
    dustshaela.jpg
    Origin ID: Munter_Bacon
    Ironbound (end of season break) | STRIKE! (currently updating) | The Colours of my Heart (on hiatus)
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Here's my submission, Love at First Sight! I hope you guys enjoy it!

Love at First Sight

yo3Ocktl.png
    suRdkSd.jpg
  • Options
    @swcheppes Left a comment on the blog... don't want to say too much here, but Oh, my! Loved it!

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    CathyTea wrote: »
    @swcheppes Left a comment on the blog... don't want to say too much here, but Oh, my! Loved it!

Aww thank you! That means a lot.
    suRdkSd.jpg
  • Options
    @CitizenErased14 and @swcheppes I've added links to your submissions to the "Current Challenge" post on the first page of the thread. Everyone please let me know if you ever catch any errors on that page or if I ever miss a submission. There have only been two so far, right?

I haven't read the submissions yet, I'm trying to hold off on doing that until I have fleshed out the idea I have for my story. But I'm very much looking forward to it. :)
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:

• Options
    I am happy to see that submissions have already started rolling and I can't wait to read them!

I'll have to think about it, a lot... Lol
    5k381e.png

My TumblrMy Twitter
  • Options
    putacece4lyfeputacece4lyfe Posts: 1,734 Member
    edited July 2015
    This sounds really cool and my head is already full of ideas. What's the deadline? That's a stupi(d) question. It clearly says at the end of the month. Sorry.
    Post edited by putacece4lyfe on
    disney-princess-challenge.png

Disney Princess Legacy Challenge Updated: 12/20 | Monthly Short Story Blog: Simming Through the Story Hour Haitus | It's an Olivia Love World Haitus
  • Options
    @CitizenErased14 and @swcheppes I've added links to your submissions to the "Current Challenge" post on the first page of the thread. Everyone please let me know if you ever catch any errors on that page or if I ever miss a submission. There have only been two so far, right?

I haven't read the submissions yet, I'm trying to hold off on doing that until I have fleshed out the idea I have for my story. But I'm very much looking forward to it. :)

Hi, Carewren! So, after I left my really brief comments here on swcheppes' entry, I started wondering about the leaving on comments.

How is the winner going to be decided? Do readers vote?

If so, I'm questioning whether we should be commenting on each other's stories here in this thread--we don't want to influence readers through our praises! Also, I know that as a reader, I tend to be a little erratic with my praises due to the constraints of time--when I've got lots of time, I tend to leave really long singing-the-praises type comments, and when I'm pressed for time (which I am off and on for the next few weeks), then I tend to leave no comments or brief comments.

So... I wanted to check with you and get your thoughts on this...

We can always leave comments on the writers' threads, if they have one. Also, I've got an old thread called "Spoilery" that could work well for comments, especially spoilery type ones, which I so wanted to make about swcheppes' entry!

Looking forward to hear your ideas, thoughts, and considerations on this!

• Options
    BBQPenguinWingsBBQPenguinWings Posts: 3,773 Member
    I enjoyed the two entries so far. I want to write but as of now I am at a loss as to which first to choose lol
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    I'm almost done! I did the writing part now all I need are the pictures and sims! I created a whole new blog just for short stories. :) I'm excited to submit despite the fact I'm not confident in my writing skills. It was so fun to do though.

Disney Princess Legacy Challenge Updated: 12/20 | Monthly Short Story Blog: Simming Through the Story Hour Haitus | It's an Olivia Love World Haitus
  • Options
    eXokamikazeeXokamikaze Posts: 3,870 Member
    I'm almost done! I did the writing part now all I need are the pictures and sims! I created a whole new blog just for short stories. :) I'm excited to submit despite the fact I'm not confident in my writing skills. It was so fun to do though.

That's the whole point of this monthly prompts thread, to have fun and to enjoy writing! And I'm sure your story'll turn out really well! Looking forward to reading it! :)
  • Options

That's the whole point of this monthly prompts thread, to have fun and to enjoy writing! And I'm sure your story'll turn out really well! Looking forward to reading it! :)

@eXokamikaze Awe. Thanks! You're Awesome! You gave me a boost in my confidence :) I will be sure to let you know when it's completed.