Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Short Story Challenges: October: So Spooky

Comments

• CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,088 Member
    Voting always seems like it will be so easy... until I read the stories. THEN it's tough! How amazing that each month we have submissions that, each one, is worthy of winning. <3
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • WinteryGarnetWinteryGarnet Posts: 2,320 Member
    I had nothing else to do today sooooo
    Things Left Unsaid
    I did my April entry! XD I'm not sure if it's my best writing because I struggled with the concept of writing based off of images alone. It was interesting to attempt though :D
    (I've been the second entry of the month for the past two months, now I'm the first XD )
    Voted. I wish it got easier to vote each month instead of getting harder!

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Carewren123Carewren123 Posts: 2,658 Member
    edited April 2016
    CathyTea wrote: »
    @Carewren123 Is it ok if we edit out the plumbobs in Photoshop?

@CathyTea Yes I think that's fine. :)

Hehe, I still stand with the other way of voting, by counting up the most votes for stories... This one was a hard vote, but I did it. :)

@SilentWolf101 I'm still open to changing it. It's just that nobody else every joined the conversation. Maybe we'll try your suggestion one month and see which way everyone likes best.

Everyone let me know what you think.

Oh dear! I keep missing these challenges. I totally intend to write something and the month slips away from me. I am such a lurker here so apologies. I enjoy reading all your stories, but I have yet to actually participate. I wasn't sure if I'm allowed to vote even if I don't submit. I'll wait to see what April's challenge will be before I make my final decision to commit to actually doing one this month (since I'm swamped with grad school and my sister's wedding plans this month). Someday... I will do the challenge.

@AdamsEve1231 Of course you're welcome to vote. Reading the stories is the only requirement there. :)

@AdamsEve1231 Anyone can vote on the challenges! :blush: I vote every month, even though I don't always participate. :) And @Carewren123 actually announced the April theme yesterday. It's a special challenge where you choose one of two sets of screenshots, then write a story around them :)

Yep. I haven't slapped the new theme onto the front page yet. That may have been why they didn't know. I'll do that right now.

CeltyGirly wrote: »
    Things Left Unsaid
    I did my April entry! XD I'm not sure if it's my best writing because I struggled with the concept of writing based off of images alone. It was interesting to attempt though :D
    (I've been the second entry of the month for the past two months, now I'm the first XD )

It's amazing that you've been getting them out so quickly. You'll be at the top of this month's list. :)
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:
    Wren's Nest * * * Get a CLUE

Completed Stories: Ana Pringle

My Main Site: Carewren123 Sim Stories
    YouTube Channel: Carewren123 Sims
    Monthly Short Story Challenge Thread: Current Theme: April: Choose your screenshots.
  • mastressalitamastressalita Posts: 2,874 Member
    Things Left Unsaid

It's funny, because I know most people write their stories first, then screenshot, but I've always done it the opposite direction, getting my images first (typically a whole slew of them!), then painstakingly fighting with myself over narrowing them down to the allocated amount, and finally writing at the very end. However, despite the fact this still follows my "pictures first, words later" method, I still find it challenging because when I go in to screencap, I still have a very distinct idea of what I want in my head, because by that point I've decided on the story I am going to tell (even if I haven't written it in words). This definitely takes a special approach... I'm not even sure which set of images to use! Almost tempted to do both, see which one comes out better, and stick the other one in the "For Fun" category... we'll see if I have enough time for that, though, heh.

Voting was a struggle, as per usual. I think I had it narrowed down to a top five, so by the last vote I sat there fighting with myself wanting to vote for three different stories when I could only select one.
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
    Have a Sim story site? Please submit your link to the Stories and Legacies Index!
    Check out my Simlit at Sim Stories: Hijinks from the World of Sims 3!
    My Simlit Discussion/Updates | The Fringe | Short Story Challenges
  • TrickTrick Posts: 1,538 Member

It's funny, because I know most people write their stories first, then screenshot, but I've always done it the opposite direction, getting my images first (typically a whole slew of them!), then painstakingly fighting with myself over narrowing them down to the allocated amount, and finally writing at the very end.

Doesn't seem all that strange to me. My approach is pretty similar... I screenshot like mad and then go back to the mess I've made and try to build a story around it.

banner-onlysims-800x140-1.png
    Because Geeks Really Do Have More Fun
  • InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    edited April 2016
    I screenshot first and write second for my main stuff, but I do the reverse for short stories (all two of them!). So...we'll see if I can do my normal stuff in an abnormal place. :p
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • SilentWolf101SilentWolf101 Posts: 3,898 Member
    InfraGreen wrote: »
    I screenshot first and write second for my main stuff, but I do the reverse for short stories (all two of them!). So...we'll see if I can do my normal stuff in an abnormal place. :p
    Same here... Screenshot, then write for my legacy stories, then write and screenshot for my short stories... XD
    ~Open your mind before your mouth~
    Yes, I'm still working on my stories. But I am restarting them (again). Links will come when they're up. :)
    Come Join The Mafia! | Monthly Simlit Story Challenges

Voting was a struggle, as per usual. I think I had it narrowed down to a top five, so by the last vote I sat there fighting with myself wanting to vote for three different stories when I could only select one.

Gosh, I felt the exact same way. Sometimes, I can say to myself, "Well, they're all good. They all deserve to win. So just vote for your particular favorite."

Didn't work this time, as I loved each. It's getting where we could just do a lottery! LOL!

• SilentWolf101SilentWolf101 Posts: 3,898 Member
    CathyTea wrote: »

Gosh, I felt the exact same way. Sometimes, I can say to myself, "Well, they're all good. They all deserve to win. So just vote for your particular favorite."

Didn't work this time, as I loved each. It's getting where we could just do a lottery! LOL!

Hehehe... I still stand by my version of voting, where it's like "Pick three stories you liked the best" and then whichever gets the most votes wins... :3
    ~Open your mind before your mouth~
    Yes, I'm still working on my stories. But I am restarting them (again). Links will come when they're up. :)
    Come Join The Mafia! | Monthly Simlit Story Challenges
  • TwiggyTwiggy Posts: 995 Member
    Although I didn't get a story in last month I again really enjoyed reading everyone's stories and just put my vote in.

I hope some inspiration will present itself for this month's challenge when sitting down for it, but am already looking forward to the upcoming stories nonetheless :)

Hugs
  • cully_ccully_c Posts: 655 Member
    edited April 2016
    Argh! I can't stand the suspense! There were so many good stories this month, I want to know who's placed where! :#:):#

Double argh, I just checked and it's only like 8.25 am with you guys! I'll have fallen off my seat, never mind being on the edge of it! :D
  • CitizenErased14CitizenErased14 Posts: 12,187 Member
    Oh goodness I need to vote tonight! (And finish reading the entries...)
    snvAF3B.png
  • Spottydog714Spottydog714 Posts: 2,518 Member
    Voted =)
    EkpFDaf.png
    Stories: Looking For Mum's Murderer | The Bachelorette | Fifteen
  • Carewren123Carewren123 Posts: 2,658 Member
    Voting is open for just under 11 more hours. I'm off to read all the stories, myself right now.

And just so everyone knows, the two people who gave us the screenshots we're using this month will be using the others set for their story if they choose to write one for the challenge. This way everyone is writing for a story they didn't take the original screenshots for. I forgot to include that rule originally, be I've already direct messaged them to clarify.
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:
    Wren's Nest * * * Get a CLUE

Completed Stories: Ana Pringle

My Main Site: Carewren123 Sim Stories
    YouTube Channel: Carewren123 Sims
    Monthly Short Story Challenge Thread: Current Theme: April: Choose your screenshots.
  • ra3reira3rei Posts: 2,418 Member
    Is it a good sign or a bad sign that I spent my pre wake up time this morning pondering the screenshots?
    Check out Raerei's Fortress for Builds, Short Stories, and maybe some longer stuff.
  • AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member
    Thank you @CitizenErased14. I voted. And I'm definitely doing the challenge this month, even if I don't play Sims 4. I can still come up with a story for it. :)
    With these forums closing down, stay connected.

Find me elsewhere:
    My EA App ID: livinasimminlife
    Livin' A Simmin' Life Stories
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
    ra3rei wrote: »
    Is it a good sign or a bad sign that I spent my pre wake up time this morning pondering the screenshots?

I thought about them walking through the parking lot on my way into the office! LOL!

• VIRTUALEEVIRTUALEE Posts: 2,507 Member
    Howdy all - Here is my submission for April: Higher Cause

This one was truly a challenge for me since I write then screenshot - I do hope you all enjoy. <3

PS I too voted and it was difficult :)
  • sabreenesabreene Posts: 1,152 Member
    I've been a little MIA, but I popped in to read and vote! Yay everyone! The stories were so good!
  • ra3reira3rei Posts: 2,418 Member
    I can definitely tell we're all improving with these stories. Makes for awesome stories.
    Check out Raerei's Fortress for Builds, Short Stories, and maybe some longer stuff.
  • AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member
    I was so excited about this month's challenge that I went ahead and wrote already. My fingers typed away furiously at my keyboard today (when I was supposed to be doing readings for class). I hope I didn't disappoint. It was worth it. It was exhilarating to free write.

My submission: Choices.
    With these forums closing down, stay connected.

Find me elsewhere:
    My EA App ID: livinasimminlife
    Livin' A Simmin' Life Stories
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
    I was so excited about this month's challenge that I went ahead and wrote already. My fingers typed away furiously at my keyboard today (when I was supposed to be doing readings for class). I hope I didn't disappoint. It was worth it. It was exhilarating to free write.

My submission: Choices.

I'm so excited to read these--I keep clicking then quickly closing the new tabs: I promised myself to write mine first before reading the others! Big incentive to write quickly!

• WinteryGarnetWinteryGarnet Posts: 2,320 Member

Things Left Unsaid

It's amazing that you've been getting them out so quickly. You'll be at the top of this month's list. :)

Pffffffft
    1. I'm a very fast writer/typer but the quality of my writing probably isn't as good as those who take longer. Since it's a side project I don't doddle over details as much.
    2. I probably have the least amount of responsibilities out of everyone that participates XD I'm an unemployed 17 year-old currently out of school (though that's changing) Therefore, I have all the time in the world to be on my laptop :)

• cully_ccully_c Posts: 655 Member
    I have a question, thought there was two but can only remember one.

Can we use any of the screenshots more than once? And if so, what is the picture limit for a submission?

B)

I finally got my story idea last night, just need to write it now!! Really tough, I usually do the story first so this was another challenge! Think I've got a good one, decided I'll not read any more submissions till I've written mine (read one, tee Hee, couldn't resist). That'll give me motivation to get it done!