Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Short Story Challenges: October: So Spooky

Comments

• Options
    friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
  • Options
    I have an idea! 6

why dou edit your posts while i'm typing. now it makes no sense. lol
  • Options
    CitizenErased14CitizenErased14 Posts: 12,187 Member
    edited October 2015
    Don't worry, @BBQPenguinWings ! :) It technically breaks the rules because it was already written, and not only that, but it's the best story I could think of for Krysti to tell and I don't want to take it away from her :tongue:

I'll take some screenshots for it for my short story blog and make a "draft" post. Then, once your Spooktacular is up, I will publish it and put a link on my short story thread and in the writers lounge :)
    snvAF3B.png
  • Options
    StoriedStormStoriedStorm Posts: 3,004 Member
    @BBQPenguinWings edited post gave me an idea we should have for a future topic. Rather than a prompt just have a single word and everyone just figures out there own way to build a story around that word :)
  • Options
    BBQPenguinWingsBBQPenguinWings Posts: 3,773 Member
    @BBQPenguinWings edited post gave me an idea we should have for a future topic. Rather than a prompt just have a single word and everyone just figures out there own way to build a story around that word :)

Ooh I like that
  • Options
    It would have to be a good loaded word
  • Options

i might be good at that she types a single word then doesn't like and while shes editing i come up with a sentence to her last sentence. this is the second time she did it to me.
  • Options
    Isn't it kind of amusing that both of my previous two challenge submissions could have fit this month's theme, but now that I'm ACTUALLY given the theme of writing a "scary story", I have no idea? :lol: I was just thinking of that while trying to brainstorm :tongue:
    snvAF3B.png
  • Options
    PeachyKeen88PeachyKeen88 Posts: 652 Member
    I was so bummed I had to skip last month, but life gets in the way and I've barely had time to keep up on my prettacy story.

I REALLY hope things calm down for October because this is my favorite theme yet!
  • Options
    CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    Hi, guys! I wanted to chime in with my perspective on voting, before we start voting for this month's stories.

I know at the end of last month there was some conversation in which writers indicated that they felt that there was something wrong or unethical about voting for one's own piece.

Let's look at this: The goal of our contest is to vote for THE THREE BEST stories each month--no matter who wrote them.

So if you, in reading the selections as a careful reader with your own sense and feelings for what makes a quality story, honestly feel that YOURS is the among the best three, you should, by all means, vote for your own.

If you are voting for your own simply to win, well, that goes against the spirit of our contest.

But if you, in all honesty and truth of your own feelings, feel and think that yours is among the best, I would hope that you would vote for yours. **looks pointedly at a few of the writers here who wrote amazing pieces this month**

My two cents--for free! :smiley:
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    @CathyTea I wish I'd read your thoughtful comment before voting :lol: (I'm sorry if what I'm implying in this comment makes me sound awful or full of myself haha).

I hope this does not hurt my chances, since I do think that what you said makes sense! I didn't vote for my own story out of "principle", I guess... Oh well. Haha I did love the three stories I did vote for though!
    snvAF3B.png
  • Options
    @CathyTea I wish I'd read your thoughtful comment before voting :lol: (I'm sorry if what I'm implying in this comment makes me sound awful or full of myself haha).

I hope this does not hurt my chances, since I do think that what you said makes sense! I didn't vote for my own story out of "principle", I guess... Oh well. Haha I did love the three stories I did vote for though!

:)

I think it's a big step for an artist and writer to be able to say, "Yes. Mine is one of the best!"

It won't happen every time, if we're honest, and that makes the times when it does happen all the sweeter! :)<3

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    FloorRaisinFloorRaisin Posts: 1,340 Member
    Wow, I just read all of the submissions - great stories, guys!
    The Wolff Legacy - whattheplum.wordpress.com - Latest update: Forward, Fast
  • Options

Thanks! Are you whattheplum on WP? :tongue:
    snvAF3B.png
  • Options
    StoriedStormStoriedStorm Posts: 3,004 Member
    CathyTea wrote: »
    Hi, guys! I wanted to chime in with my perspective on voting, before we start voting for this month's stories.

I know at the end of last month there was some conversation in which writers indicated that they felt that there was something wrong or unethical about voting for one's own piece.

Let's look at this: The goal of our contest is to vote for THE THREE BEST stories each month--no matter who wrote them.

So if you, in reading the selections as a careful reader with your own sense and feelings for what makes a quality story, honestly feel that YOURS is the among the best three, you should, by all means, vote for your own.

If you are voting for your own simply to win, well, that goes against the spirit of our contest.

But if you, in all honesty and truth of your own feelings, feel and think that yours is among the best, I would hope that you would vote for yours. **looks pointedly at a few of the writers here who wrote amazing pieces this month**

I disagree for the simple reason of bias. Most wtiters are naturally going to favor their own work simply because they created it and as such it more accurately suits their own tastes. There's nothing necessarily bad about that but when it comes to a vote it imbalances things because a bunch of people inevitably vote for themselves while others choose not to on principle or the like. This means thay from default the vote ends up scewed towards those who voted for themselves while those who didn't start at a disadvantage.

The only way this wouldn't be a problem is if people only voted for themselves if there story was one of the top syories but natural bias prevents that because the vast majority of people can't look at their own work purely subjectively and will lean towards favoring or being harsh on themselves.

• Options

I disagree for the simple reason of bias. Most wtiters are naturally going to favor their own work simply because they created it and as such it more accurately suits their own tastes. There's nothing necessarily bad about that but when it comes to a vote it imbalances things because a bunch of people inevitably vote for themselves while others choose not to on principle or the like. This means thay from default the vote ends up scewed towards those who voted for themselves while those who didn't start at a disadvantage.

The only way this wouldn't be a problem is if people only voted for themselves if there story was one of the top syories but natural bias prevents that because the vast majority of people can't look at their own work purely subjectively and will lean towards favoring or being harsh on themselves.

Still, it's very good practice to learn to look at one's work as if it were written by someone else. We need to do this every time we edit our work, and it's useful to develop the skills of evaluating our work in this manner, too.

For sure, we'll mess up sometimes, for it takes years of practice to be able to evaluate one's own work as if it were written by someone else. And, since one of the goals (at least in my mind) of this contest is to help us develop skills as writers and readers, this is a worthwhile skill for us to develop. We won't get a chance to develop it if we have to automatically exclude our own work. When we are able to look at all the submissions--and view our own from the perspective of a reader, not the writer--it gives us the chance to develop the readerly skills we need as writers.

We won't be perfect, of course! But that's how we learn, through allowing ourselves to try things without having to be perfect.

There are also many, many ways for bias to creep into voting since we don't have a rubric or criteria. But I like the friendly approach of allowing us each to evaluate all of the pieces and vote for those we, as readers, feel are the best.

(I'm purposely avoiding the word "objective" because readers are anything but objective! We are, by our very nature and definition, subjective! So our evaluations will be subjective--yet I feel if we can learn to read our own work as if it were written by someone else, we'll gain such skills that will help all aspects of our writing, especially when it comes to editing, revising, and receiving feedback.)

• Options
    Carewren123Carewren123 Posts: 2,658 Member
    Karababy52 wrote: »
    Hello all!

I stumbled across this thread last night and got so caught up in it I read the whole thing (including all the last round stories) in one marathon session! o.O Y'all are such good writers! I like how everyone is so open, supportive and respectful of each other too, it feels very friendly and optimistic in this thread. I love that! <3

I enjoyed writing back in the day and was very involved with roleplay, writing contests, short stories, group stories for the exchange, writing prompts, etc., etc. on my old TS2 forum. We also participated in JulNoWriMo and NanoWriMo. So, I'm intrigued. I like the idea of having an entire month to write. I'm a bit of a perfectionist and like to take my time with any project I'm involved in, whether it's building, writing or photo editing.

The point of all my rambling is that I'm seriously thinking about entering, it sounds like a lot of fun. Especially since there isn't a quick deadline to stress me out. hehe BTW I voted in the poll too! Now, I just need to think of something to write! It's been forever since I've written anything so I'm very rusty and dusty. ;)

Perhaps something will come to me in a dream, I need to get some sleep. *yawns* Have a great day/night!

@Karababy52 Hey, welcome! We'd love it if you do participate. I think I remember you from when I was doing some of the buildnshare challenges last year. Thanks for joining the fun here even if you aren't able to participate this month, there's plenty more to come. And thanks for voting. :)
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:
    Wren's Nest * * * Get a CLUE

Completed Stories: Ana Pringle

My Main Site: Carewren123 Sim Stories
    YouTube Channel: Carewren123 Sims
    Monthly Short Story Challenge Thread: Current Theme: April: Choose your screenshots.
  • Options
    Carewren123Carewren123 Posts: 2,658 Member

So far this hasn't been an issue here. I understand you're concerns. But I can honestly say that for the first month those people who voted for themselves had no impact on the results. from what I saw the vast majority of everyone was very thoughtful with their votes. But I promise that we'll keep an eye out for any kinks in the voting system as the months go by. Adjustments can be made if need be.

For now let's not get bogged down over analyzing this, we have a great community of people participating in these challenges.

E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:
    Wren's Nest * * * Get a CLUE

Completed Stories: Ana Pringle

My Main Site: Carewren123 Sim Stories
    YouTube Channel: Carewren123 Sims
    Monthly Short Story Challenge Thread: Current Theme: April: Choose your screenshots.
  • Options
    FloorRaisinFloorRaisin Posts: 1,340 Member

Thanks! Are you whattheplum on WP? :tongue:

I am, hehe. I have a bit of an historical problem taking the whole "what would you like to call yourself" thing seriously and wind up with a bunch of different names everywhere. :pensive:
    The Wolff Legacy - whattheplum.wordpress.com - Latest update: Forward, Fast
  • Options
    edited October 2015

i might be good at that she types a single word then doesn't like and while shes editing i come up with a sentence to her last sentence. this is the second time she did it to me.

• Options

I think it's hilarious

you like that i make no sense because of you.
  • Options
  • Options
    eXokamikazeeXokamikaze Posts: 3,870 Member
    edited October 2015
    To carry forward @CharmingMaruska's phrase and @Elubelle's brainchild, I'd like to propose 'A War of Zagadoos' for a future short story prompt! Not even joking. :);)
  • Options
    I think I have an idea for this month :open_mouth:
    snvAF3B.png
  • Options
    To carry forward @CharmingMaruska's phrase and @Elubelle's brainchild, I'd like to propose 'A War of Zagadoos' for a future short story prompt! Not even joking. :);)

Oh, my! I am so all over this, I can't even begin to describe it! Little green and purple warring zagadoos all over SimDom!

Oh! I just got a great idea for this! Let's please! :smiley: