Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Short Story Challenges: October: So Spooky

Comments

• Carewren123Carewren123 Posts: 2,658 Member
    Lizzie1234 wrote: »
    I haven't been around a lot recently, my apologies, but does the voting end on Sunday? I have already voted I'm just curious :p And incredibly excited because I now have the best setting for my September story :mrgreen:
    I am anxiously waiting to not be the only one on the submission list :lol: (Also, eager to see the voting results!)

When will the results be posted? Does anyone know?

Voting is open through the 7th. I think I will shorten the period a little next month. I'll stick with a 1 week voting period this month, because that's what I had said at first and some people might have been planning to read/vote in the last few days.

So the results will be announced on the 8th. (If I am still up late enough, I'll post the results right after midnight Central Time in US).
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:
    Wren's Nest * * * Get a CLUE

Completed Stories: Ana Pringle

My Main Site: Carewren123 Sim Stories
    YouTube Channel: Carewren123 Sims
    Monthly Short Story Challenge Thread: Current Theme: April: Choose your screenshots.
    Ooh, this sounds fun! I need to work on my Sim writing anyways. :smile:

Hi :) We'd love for you to join in on the fun!

By the way, did you see that we are currently voting to pick August's winners? If you want you can find all the info you need on the first page.
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:

Monthly Short Story Challenge Thread: Current Theme: April: Choose your screenshots.
    I haven't been around a lot recently, my apologies, but does the voting end on Sunday? I have already voted I'm just curious :p And incredibly excited because I now have the best setting for my September story :mrgreen:

Can't wait to see what you come up with.
    I am anxiously waiting to not be the only one on the submission list :lol: (Also, eager to see the voting results!)

I don't know how long it'll take me, but I'm definitely submitting something this month. I made my Sims yesterday. Now I need to build set... and actually outlining the story. :tongue:
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:

• Ruby10990Ruby10990 Posts: 491 Member
    So I was bored (due to lack of things to do since school just started) and I decided might as well give this a shot. I present to you, The Butterfly Effect
    forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/853216/the-butterfly-effect-short-story-submission-september?new=1
  • lizzielilyylizzielilyy Posts: 4,877 Member
    Hey lovelies :relaxed: after much deliberation, editing and quite frankly struggling I have my submission. Exactly 1500 words with 12 screenshots, here is Oxford Manor! The setting is the Now and Then Century Manor which was so wonderfully gifted to me by @Reachsims <3
    Hope you enjoy it!
    Gen-6-982x250-1.jpg
    Two more entries! :)

Thanks @Ruby10990 and @Lizzie1234 I have added your stories to the list.
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:

• CitizenErased14CitizenErased14 Posts: 12,187 Member
    I am loving this prompt and reading the other entries! The August theme was fun, but there's something about everyone having to start with the same phrase that's so interesting! :)
    snvAF3B.png
  • putacece4lyfeputacece4lyfe Posts: 1,734 Member
    edited September 2015
    Without further adieu here's my short story finally done. It's not the best in the dialogue but aye it's the best I could do. Here it is:
    bottle.jpg?w=876&h=362
    disney-princess-challenge.png

Disney Princess Legacy Challenge Updated: 12/20 | Monthly Short Story Blog: Simming Through the Story Hour Haitus | It's an Olivia Love World Haitus
    I added yours @putacece4lyfe :)
    I am loving this prompt and reading the other entries! The August theme was fun, but there's something about everyone having to start with the same phrase that's so interesting! :)

I'm so happy to hear this, because I was actually feeling a little wilty flowerish about it. I was like: oh gosh what if they aren't excited about this one. I had to make myself not second guess myself, but hey that's me with every decision that involves trying to pick something someone else is supposed to like. lol
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:

• Pegasus143Pegasus143 Posts: 2,490 Member
    @Carewren123 I just realized that on the title of the thread, you put Septermber.
    I come with a questions! :tongue:

I know that @Carewren123 said she would only be announcing the winners (and not the full ranking), but if we happened to just be curious and want to know how many people voted for our story, can we message you privately and ask?

Other question (that I think I already know the answer to, but I figured why not ask? :lol: is there any way of being sure of honesty with this voting system? Or is it pretty much just trusting each other? It seems that there's no way to track everyone's votes, right?

I'm not saying anyone would actually do these things, but these are the sort of scenarios I was thinking would be possible:

Randomly posting on Twitter or Facebook to "real life"/non-simming friends "Hey, everyone! Vote for me in this contest!" So then the person wins by dozens of votes from friends who never even read any stories.

Or "Hey, this doesn't keep track of who's voting -- I'll go ahead and vote for myself 5 times!" *person votes multiple times from multiple computers*

I probably just planted ideas into peoples' heads now :lol: Kidding, kidding!

Like I said, I don't want people to think I'm assuming someone would do it, but I'm just saying it sounds like they COULD, and am wondering if there's any possible way to prevent it from happening?

My guess is that we're just relying on trust/honor system? But I wanted to check!

snvAF3B.png

I know that @Carewren123 said she would only be announcing the winners (and not the full ranking), but if we happened to just be curious and want to know how many people voted for our story, can we message you privately and ask?

Other question (that I think I already know the answer to, but I figured why not ask? :lol: is there any way of being sure of honesty with this voting system? Or is it pretty much just trusting each other? It seems that there's no way to track everyone's votes, right?

I'm not saying anyone would actually do these things, but these are the sort of scenarios I was thinking would be possible:

Randomly posting on Twitter or Facebook to "real life"/non-simming friends "Hey, everyone! Vote for me in this contest!" So then the person wins by dozens of votes from friends who never even read any stories.

Or "Hey, this doesn't keep track of who's voting -- I'll go ahead and vote for myself 5 times!" *person votes multiple times from multiple computers*

Like I said, I don't want people to think I'm assuming someone would do it, but I'm just saying it sounds like they COULD, and am wondering if there's any possible way to prevent it from happening?

My guess is that we're just relying on trust/honor system? But I wanted to check!

Well there was a person that voted for the same story all 3 times. So the honor system really can't be as trusted as we would like. Lol.

Disney Princess Legacy Challenge Updated: 12/20 | Monthly Short Story Blog: Simming Through the Story Hour Haitus | It's an Olivia Love World Haitus

Well there was a person that voted for the same story all 3 times. So the honor system really can't be as trusted as we would like. Lol.

Yeah I'm not even gonna lie there was a split guilty second where I considered voting for my own story :joy: proud to say I didn't though! Didn't see the point in getting higher up the rankings through my own vote :joy:
    Gen-6-982x250-1.jpg

Yeah I'm not even gonna lie there was a split guilty second where I considered voting for my own story :joy: proud to say I didn't though! Didn't see the point in getting higher up the rankings through my own vote :joy:

Haha.. it's cool as long as you didn't go to the dark side lol.

Hahaha yeah, I totally understand if people vote for their own story, but it feels "wrong" to me. To each their own though! No rule saying you can't, so I won't judge anyone who did!

I most am worried about people having others spam-vote for them, or voting multiple times (unless it was for my story, then go right ahead! ;) Kidding! :lol:)
    snvAF3B.png
    [

Nah I'm good ;) besides I'm not even interested in winning, remember? :3
    Gen-6-982x250-1.jpg
    [

Nah I'm good ;) besides I'm not even interested in winning, remember? :3

I remember because I feel the same too. If I didn't, do you really think I would've submitted "Affliction". That wouldn't appeal to a wide range audience, but to only certain groups of in the audience.

Hahaha yeah, I totally understand if people vote for their own story, but it feels "wrong" to me. To each their own though! No rule saying you can't, so I won't judge anyone who did!

I most am worried about people having others spam-vote for them, or voting multiple times (unless it was for my story, then go right ahead! ;) Kidding! :lol:)

We are all thinking the same thing lol.

• MunterbaconMunterbacon Posts: 5,082 Member

And there is really no way to enforce it if there is a rule saying you can't. That being said, I also didn't vote for myself. As this is just for a bit of fun I didn't feel that it was necessary. Anywho, results are coming soon, good luck to everyone!
    dustshaela.jpg
    Origin ID: Munter_Bacon
    Ironbound (end of season break) | STRIKE! (currently updating) | The Colours of my Heart (on hiatus)

And there is really no way to enforce it if there is a rule saying you can't. That being said, I also didn't vote for myself. As this is just for a bit of fun I didn't feel that it was necessary. Anywho, results are coming soon, good luck to everyone!

Same with the other things I mentioned -- I don't think it can be enforced. Like I said, I guess it's gotta be an "honor system" for voting stuff :lol:

But it's just for fun, like you said, so it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things.

I wish we didn't have to wait until tomorrow at midnight for the results! :tongue:

snvAF3B.png

I remember because I feel the same too. If I didn't, do you really think I would've submitted "Affliction". That wouldn't appeal to a wide range audience, but to only certain groups of in the audience.

Yeah that's true, but I feel like people are likely to see past the subject's appeal to notice the skill involved in the writing in this case :) love the title as well hehe
    Gen-6-982x250-1.jpg
  • ra3reira3rei Posts: 2,418 Member
    I can't remember of this vote was via poll daddy, but there are some blocks in place about voting from the same IP address that you can put on place. I don't worry about someone voting for themselves, there are three votes, so even if everyone voted for themselves it would still be fair.
    Check out Raerei's Fortress for Builds, Short Stories, and maybe some longer stuff.
  • Julyvee94Julyvee94 Posts: 6,694 Member
    Voting for yourself is riddiculous, I mean one vote probably won't win the contest for you ^^ On the other hand, since all the stories are so awesome, it might :D But as @ra3rei said it doesn't really matter. You need more than one vote to win ^^

Plus, if I would have used one vote for my own story I would have only two votes to devide on all other stories. GAH! It was already hard to decide with 3 available votes xD
    Sorry I wasn't online really at all yesterday, internet is being slow... still is... and I hope this post goes through.

First of all, thanks for the heads up about my typo in September in the title of the thread.

Second, about the voting honesty/integrity and all that: I'm admittedly pretty new to poll daddy, but as @ra3rei said there are some options available to help prevent multiple voting. I think for a survey (which I had to use instead of a regular "poll") there was only the choice to block voting from the same computer, but for next month I will take a second look at those options.

Also I think the honor system is working pretty well here. I can see the countries that the votes are coming from, and there hasn't been anything that looks like spam voting. Also we only have about 30 votes total right now, and that seems a pretty realistic number to me.

And even that one person who had voted for the same story in all three questions, it doesn't look like it was anyone voting for their own story - the country didn't match where the author of that story is at (unless they've been deceiving us all for months lol) So I think this was someone who was a little over enthusiastic for that story/writer. I'll specifically state in the future that any similar votes will simply be deleted (and without the announcement this time).

I don't think there is anything I can do to prevent a person or two from voting for themselves, but based on the location listed for each vote it looks like most people are choosing to vote for others. And I'll just add that I agree with many of you that I never feel comfortable voting for myself in these type of things, but I also don't think there's anything horribly wrong with it either. And again based on the results I've seen it seems to be a non-issue anyway.
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:

Also, I wanted to let you all know that my grandfather is in the hospital. It's pretty serious, but we think he's going to be okay. But if I don't get the results out soon after midnight, that's probably why.
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories: