Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Short Story Challenges: October: So Spooky

Comments

• Options
    FloorRaisinFloorRaisin Posts: 1,340 Member
    My 2 cents, since @Carewren123 mentioned wanting to hear what more folks thought:

I think it's best to wait until the next round to make any rule changes, since so many folks already submitted entries and having to limit the number of screenshots used is a huge part of the challenge.

I don't mind bumping the screenshot limit up a couple for next round, though.

I don't think that entries that don't meet the criteria should be accepted. Regardless of how generally upbeat this community is it may cause grumbles and unwanted drama, especially if it's perceived as "better" somehow and "can't win." That and it takes attention away from the legitimate entries. (I mean, maybe I'm being daft but there are threads for folks to share their works in already - why not just use those?)

.. that was more like 3 cents. :fearful: Thanks for all the hard work, Carewren! <3
    The Wolff Legacy - whattheplum.wordpress.com - Latest update: Forward, Fast
  • Options
    eXokamikazeeXokamikaze Posts: 3,870 Member
    My 2 cents, since @Carewren123 mentioned wanting to hear what more folks thought:

I think it's best to wait until the next round to make any rule changes, since so many folks already submitted entries and having to limit the number of screenshots used is a huge part of the challenge.

I don't think that entries that don't meet the criteria should be accepted. Regardless of how generally upbeat this community is it may cause grumbles and unwanted drama, especially if it's perceived as "better" somehow and "can't win." That and it takes attention away from the legitimate entries. (I mean, maybe I'm being daft but there are threads for folks to share their works in already - why not just use those?)

.. that was more like 3 cents. :fearful: Thanks for all the hard work, Carewren! <3

^ This. :)

Overall, I think it'd be fairer to stick to the existing limit so that it's fair for the people who've already submitted their stories. :) I don't think there's anything wrong with just one additional screenshot, but considering how some writers have already struggled to ensure they meet the limit, it shouldn't be changed at this point. :)
  • Options
    StoriedStormStoriedStorm Posts: 3,004 Member
    edited August 2015

You know I really can't argue this point. I think I will just not submit my story this month (though I'm still going to post it on the forums)

I still think the photo limit should be increased for future months though.

Sorry for causing a stir to begin with.

• Options
    CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member

You know I really can't argue this point. I think I will just not submit my story this month (though I'm still going to post it on the forums)

@AuroraLockwood - I'm really glad you brought it up! You always bring up really good points. And, as we've discovered with book club and everything else, in the beginning stages and transition stages, there will always be questions and times when we'll want to refine processes. And one of the best qualities of this community--in my view--is that we can ask about things, bring up ideas, listen to a wide range of perspectives, and come to consensus or decisions that, at least, work, and at best, strengthen the community. So anytime we've got an opportunity to discuss things and reflect and consider, and think about what works for us as a community, it's a gain. So, from my perspective at least, thanks for bringing this up! :) And I'm looking forward to reading your story, whether it's officiallly submitted or not. And... here's a thought! You could have a 10-screenshot version, and an 11-screenshot version! That's what I did for the SimsWriters contest--a two-screenshot version that I submitted, then when I posted my own, I added as many as I wanted--and added more words if I felt they were needed. You know what was interesting, though? I believe I feel that the version that met the requirements of the rules was the stronger. There's just something about needing fit the requirements of a form that brings out a tight story.

Anyway, thanks--and I hope you'll always bring up your points and insights and ideas, for they're so valuable!
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    capturedmusecapturedmuse Posts: 300 Member
    Not sure if I can handle writing a story this short... I guess I could not ramble on like an old lady, but yeah... seems really hard.
  • Options
    Carewren123Carewren123 Posts: 2,658 Member
    CathyTea wrote: »

@AuroraLockwood - I'm really glad you brought it up! You always bring up really good points. And, as we've discovered with book club and everything else, in the beginning stages and transition stages, there will always be questions and times when we'll want to refine processes. And one of the best qualities of this community--in my view--is that we can ask about things, bring up ideas, listen to a wide range of perspectives, and come to consensus or decisions that, at least, work, and at best, strengthen the community. So anytime we've got an opportunity to discuss things and reflect and consider, and think about what works for us as a community, it's a gain. So, from my perspective at least, thanks for bringing this up! :) And I'm looking forward to reading your story, whether it's officiallly submitted or not. And... here's a thought! You could have a 10-screenshot version, and an 11-screenshot version! That's what I did for the SimsWriters contest--a two-screenshot version that I submitted, then when I posted my own, I added as many as I wanted--and added more words if I felt they were needed. You know what was interesting, though? I believe I feel that the version that met the requirements of the rules was the stronger. There's just something about needing fit the requirements of a form that brings out a tight story.

Anyway, thanks--and I hope you'll always bring up your points and insights and ideas, for they're so valuable!

Everything @CathyTea said is exactly right @AuroraLockwood you didn't cause a stir at all. It important to have discussions like this. I want the communities opinions on how to run this challenge. It could be a good idea to do an official 10 screenshot version to enter into the challenge as Cathy mentioned. I'm still weighing what to do for the first challenge. I'll probably sleep on it if anyone else wants to share their opinion please do.

As far as increasing the limit for future months, that's definitely something to think about as well. Just keep in mind that I don't want it to be too high a limit either, because I do want it to be challenging if that makes sense. Part of the fun in this type of thing is challenging yourself to get a story done in relatively few pictures and words. Of course when we all first started talking about this on the lounge thread we decided very quickly that we wanted to give people more freedom than previous challenges that we'd been involved in (as I was mentioning somewhere in the comments above). So what were you thinking would be a good number of screenshot for the future?

And like Cathy said, thank you for asking. I really mean that. I will never ask for anyone's opinion on here unless I really want them, and it is important to discuss these things.
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:
    Wren's Nest * * * Get a CLUE

Completed Stories: Ana Pringle

My Main Site: Carewren123 Sim Stories
    YouTube Channel: Carewren123 Sims
    Monthly Short Story Challenge Thread: Current Theme: April: Choose your screenshots.
  • Options
    And to everyone else, thank you for sharing your opinions. I want this to be a community based thread, so I appreciate everyone's contributions even if I don't personally reply to each and every comment.
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:

Monthly Short Story Challenge Thread: Current Theme: April: Choose your screenshots.
  • Options
    Not sure if I can handle writing a story this short... I guess I could not ramble on like an old lady, but yeah... seems really hard.

I know we'd definitely love to see what you come up with if you give it a go. :)
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:

• Options
    capturedmusecapturedmuse Posts: 300 Member
    Y'all are super civilized here so I would be honored to be able to say I participated. Will have to research and study the meaning of the word short though. :dizzy:
  • Options

Everything @CathyTea said is exactly right @AuroraLockwood you didn't cause a stir at all. It important to have discussions like this. I want the communities opinions on how to run this challenge. It could be a good idea to do an official 10 screenshot version to enter into the challenge as Cathy mentioned. I'm still weighing what to do for the first challenge. I'll probably sleep on it if anyone else wants to share their opinion please do.

As far as increasing the limit for future months, that's definitely something to think about as well. Just keep in mind that I don't want it to be too high a limit either, because I do want it to be challenging if that makes sense. Part of the fun in this type of thing is challenging yourself to get a story done in relatively few pictures and words. Of course when we all first started talking about this on the lounge thread we decided very quickly that we wanted to give people more freedom than previous challenges that we'd been involved in (as I was mentioning somewhere in the comments above). So what were you thinking would be a good number of screenshot for the future?

And like Cathy said, thank you for asking. I really mean that. I will never ask for anyone's opinion on here unless I really want them, and it is important to discuss these things.

To me 15 would be good for a balance between freedom and limit.
  • Options
    Pegasus143Pegasus143 Posts: 2,490 Member

To me 15 would be good for a balance between freedom and limit.

That number is exactly what I was thinking.
  • Options
    And to everyone else, thank you for sharing your opinions. I want this to be a community based thread, so I appreciate everyone's contributions even if I don't personally reply to each and every comment.

@Carewren123 You're so skilled at helping us to achieve an open and supportive community where we feel safe to share our views, knowing that it's fine when we have different views! Thanks for that!

I secretly love it every time we have discussions where we present different views for it develops capacity for considering a wide range of perspectives, it allows us to express our opinions, and it develops respect, trust, and appreciation for diversity!

Thanks, Carewren!

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    Pegasus143Pegasus143 Posts: 2,490 Member
    I just thought of something- cc is okay to use, right? Just wondering before I start making some clothing for mine.
  • Options

@Carewren123 You're so skilled at helping us to achieve an open and supportive community where we feel safe to share our views, knowing that it's fine when we have different views! Thanks for that!

I secretly love it every time we have discussions where we present different views for it develops capacity for considering a wide range of perspectives, it allows us to express our opinions, and it develops respect, trust, and appreciation for diversity!

Thanks, Carewren!

:) Thanks Cathy! You know what I wish? That it was this easy to establish that kind of open and supportive kind of community in a classroom full of 30+ adolescents.
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:

• Options
    Pegasus143 wrote: »
    I just thought of something- cc is okay to use, right? Just wondering before I start making some clothing for mine.

CC is definitely okay.
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:

• Options
    SummerFallsSummerFalls Posts: 6,413 Member

Thanks, Carewren!

:) Thanks Cathy! You know what I wish? That it was this easy to establish that kind of open and supportive kind of community in a classroom full of 30+ adolescents.

Well, you can clone me 30 times and boom! Job done ;)
    ooh_zpseebomb8i.png
    Origin ID: SummerFalls
    House: Ravenclaw/Wampus - Wand: Alder wood with Unicorn hair core 10 ¾" and Slightly Springy flexibility - Patronus: Neblung Cat
    | Simblr | Youtube | I love creating sims! |
  • Options
    Pegasus143 wrote: »

CC is definitely okay.

Let me go off topic for a second and say, how neat that you make your own cc. I know @Munterbacon does some too. I looked into it a while back, but got a little lost. I think the only thing I could handle is some basic recoloring. I tried to work through my confusions, but that was eating up ALL my free time so I decided to let others(and vastly more talented) people handle that. So basically I'm always impressed when I find out someone creates cc.
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:

• Options

Thanks, Carewren!

I'd love to teach a classroom full of you.
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:

• Options
    Oh and @AuroraLockwood and @Pegasus143 your comments regarding the number of screenshots has been noted. Don't want you to think I'm ignoring it or that I missed it. Also this now provides a nice way to get back on topic. :)
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:

• Options

Thanks, Carewren!

Although responding to a raised hand might be difficult

Yes Joel.... no Joel, not you Joel I mean that Joel.... Joel I told you to put your hand down, no not you Joel I meant..... You know I quit :p

• Options

Thanks, Carewren!

Yes Joel.... no Joel, not you Joel I mean that Joel.... Joel I told you to put your hand down, no not you Joel I meant..... You know I quit :p

LOL I'd number them.
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:

• Options
    edited August 2015

Thanks, Carewren!

LOL! Well, if it were you wouldn't have developed all these skills! I've got to agree, though, that our community is amazing! It's amazing because each and every one of us is amazing!

Edit: and some of us (Joel) are amazing 30 times.

• Options

Thanks, Carewren!

Joel is my hero!

• Options
    edited August 2015

Thanks, Carewren!

LOL I'd number them.

Though come to think of it, that sounds a little less than warm and encouraging way to refer to students. #15 Very thoughtful answer. #22 Do you agree?

Actually now I have an idea for a story. ;) Maybe my entry for this month could be about this. The first being the first clone, clone #1. Story of what it's like to be the first clone of Joel. Does he feel like he has to set a good example for all his counterparts, simply because he came first? Or does he resent having to sit at the first desk all the time, when he wishes more than anything to blend in? Why does he have to be the only stand out in a classroom full of monotony?

ETA: I'm probably going to read this in the morning and think I should have went to bed earlier. LOL
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:

• Options

Thanks, Carewren!

LOL I'd number them.

Off-topic: one summer in one of my online writing classes, I had seven students named Ahmed. I called it "The Summer of My Ahmeds." :)