Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A discussion for us all

mwyatt139mwyatt139 Posts: 374 Member
edited July 2015 in Off Topic Chat
Pardon, I'm on my phone and can't properly tag people. I've been thinking about this for a long time and I feel really bothered. I want to know what your opinions are.

I am a huge hypocrite I think. So I redownloaded the sims 4 after having it uninstalled for a month and all the expansions that I bought, bought spa day but haven't played officially since April 23rd.

@luthienrising said
It's okay - people are allowed to change their minds as many times as they like :) I hope you find you enjoy it now! and that you don't feel too bad about it if you don't.

It's really weird. Like I feel kind of tempted and pressured to play it because it's been in my life for 14 years, but I feel like something is missing and it's not just toddlers. It's other things too that I can't quite put my finger on. It's weird how I bought spa day because I felt maybe that would help but since I haven't played since April. I don't know. I should know better than to throw money at something because it's a temporary solution to what seems like a permanent problem. I know the gurus are trying, I'm on a Mac so I had to wait till February to get it. I waited till April thinking bugs and other things would be fixed. Somehow that it would be better but...it's weird. Like I don't want to give up on something that's been a part of my life for so long but I just don't have the interest to play anymore I think. However, I keep it installed. Why? I don't know. I mean I can wait an hour for everything to redownload if I uninstall it again...now I'm rambling :(

EDIT: MOVED TO OFF TOPIC CHAT FOR THE TURN IT TOOK
Link to my Facebook feel free to friend me: https://www.facebook.com/Spiritualanddifferent
Link to my blog: https://www.merismusings.wordpress.com
Link to my Twitter (used mainly for promoting my blog): https://twitter.com/BridgetW1990
Add me on Origin: mwyatt139

event.png
Post edited by mwyatt139 on

Comments

• AstroAstro Posts: 6,651 Member
    I installed the base game today, I'm gonna give it a serious try for at least a week and see If I can try to enjoy it.

Still refuse to by anything for it though. XD
    (Loading up on CC- XD)

(Copy and Pasted from your wall, :D )
  • mwyatt139mwyatt139 Posts: 374 Member
    @Astro thanks

(So now I can tag? What the plum? I tried to reply to comments and tag on my wall but I couldn't on my phone!)
    Link to my Facebook feel free to friend me: https://www.facebook.com/Spiritualanddifferent
    Link to my Twitter (used mainly for promoting my blog): https://twitter.com/BridgetW1990

event.png
  • AstroAstro Posts: 6,651 Member
    mwyatt139 wrote: »
    @Astro thanks

(So now I can tag? What the plum? I tried to reply to comments and tag on my wall but I couldn't on my phone!)
    I heard that Spa Day made the game more enjoyable for a lot of people, hope it does the same for you. :)
  • Devynsims00Devynsims00 Posts: 3,392 Member
    Over all I like the game very much, but the BUGS get to me after I play for a bit. The Thirst Issue, Bills on Vacation, Culling, Musical Chairs, etc. etc. etc.

I still play, have a few mods to correct what's wrong, but yeah... it quickly gets frustrating after 30 minutes :o
    OJGRGDT.gif
  • CementCement Posts: 3,505 Member
    Well, it could just be like a break sort of thing. Like you're interested with the game still, so you're reluctant to let it die off somewhere, but you're still letting it die off since it's not being played, lol.

I do that with a lot of my games tbh, it's alright. Sometimes you'll be disinterested for a period of time, then you can pick it up again after a while and enjoy it with a fresher perspective. Too much of one thing could be overwhelming, then feeling like it should be part of a daily routine but you just don't feel like doing it anymore. Kinda like me and exercise...
    I used to often draw, write, paint, etc, but I gave up on them plenty of times because of feeling pressured of doing one thing and not being able to balance all my hobbies together where I can do everything within a day. But sometimes, I find myself cleaning and fixing up my trumpet or doing exercises on my piano because I feel like I'm going to play them and make it part of my life again, then not touch it for several weeks or months at a time.

As for the Sims 4, since it's become the kind of game where it's mostly enjoyable to more veteran players when it's modded to fix or add most of the little things that were featured in prior games, it's not much of a surprise that you feel this way. Since it's got the name, I feel like maybe you're holding onto some sort of hope where it'll just be like how it's supposed to be and not the "flop" several people comment about it? I'm not that sure though, just speculating by the way you wrote it.

Just know it's okay. Everyone goes through this. :)
  • TS_DivaTS_Diva Posts: 477 Member
    That looks very uncomfortable.
  • LoveMcQueen5683LoveMcQueen5683 Posts: 3,689 Member
    edited July 2015
    The bugs and lack of toddlers and the development team shunning us is stressing me out but I still enjoy this game.

But I've never had to deal with these kinds of issues and quality performance. I've never played a game that was so rushed and sloppily put together and made by a team that just doesn't seem care about the game or their fans. It's frustrating.

Spa Day is a good pack though. They really nailed it there
    LR3g0ni.jpg
    edited July 2015
    @ASDF0716 I hate that on the fence feeling I have about it. Like I don't want to say goodbye. However, I'm growing up and getting more into my adulthood that maybe it's time *sniffs* I just love all the discussions on here and they make me happy to be part of the community, but I also know how frustrated a lot of people are and I can see why it's adios. Real life doesn't have money trees to pick from daily

event.png
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    I do try to help other Simmers find mods and CCs to bring more flavor to their game. But yeah sometimes it does get hard to play the Sims 4 some days. I would suggest playing the Sims games on rotation. That way if you get bored with the Sims 4, you can play the Sims, the Sims 2, and/or the Sims 3. That's what I love about the Sims, is that the older games are still really fun to play.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
    @scobre. I would if I could buy I sold them all :( unless I wanted to spend over $500.00 USD to bring something back, it's better spent on law books to further my self taught education :)

event.png
  • ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    Pardon, I'm on my phone and can't properly tag people. I've been thinking about this for a long time and I feel really bothered. I want to know what your opinions are.

I am a huge hypocrite I think. So I redownloaded the sims 4 after having it uninstalled for a month and all the expansions that I bought, bought spa day but haven't played officially since April 23rd.

@luthienrising said
    It's okay - people are allowed to change their minds as many times as they like :) I hope you find you enjoy it now! and that you don't feel too bad about it if you don't.

It's really weird. Like I feel kind of tempted and pressured to play it because it's been in my life for 14 years, but I feel like something is missing and it's not just toddlers. It's other things too that I can't quite put my finger on. It's weird how I bought spa day because I felt maybe that would help but since I haven't played since April. I don't know. I should know better than to throw money at something because it's a temporary solution to what seems like a permanent problem. I know the gurus are trying, I'm on a Mac so I had to wait till February to get it. I waited till April thinking bugs and other things would be fixed. Somehow that it would be better but...it's weird. Like I don't want to give up on something that's been a part of my life for so long but I just don't have the interest to play anymore I think. However, I keep it installed. Why? I don't know. I mean I can wait an hour for everything to redownload if I uninstall it again...now I'm rambling :(

I see what you are saying. I've played sims and bought everything sims related upon release since Sims 1 came out. It's been part of my routine for years and years. It's been my guilty pleasure, my only true game. My fun, my "me time", and I've enjoyed it. But something is not there in this one. I know for sure it's toddlers, but I don't think that's it. I am taking a break from sims (and my youtube channel) because I just can't find the passion to play like I use to could. Yet I still buy everything upon release (bought Spa Day before Origin even released it by buying in game). I played it for long enough for my sim to get a hand and foot massage and a couple back massages, and I'm done.

I can't bring myself to uninstall yet, but I know the fun... the passion... it's not there. I feel like I'm abandoning a friend, but I won't do this for long. I did have fun with Spa Day... but it was like... meh, somethings not there. I've given myself a deadline. If toddlers, at least, aren't back by the one year anniversary (or at least word about the toddlers that is confirmed) I'm done. I won't keep throwing my money at a game that gives me little to no fun and pleasure. It's been a year and I've only added 800+ hours on my game. I could have added that or more in a couple months on Sims 3... this has been almost a year. So I have tried. Lord knows I have tried. But, I'm getting done.
    p8L4V6v.png
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    @scobre. I would if I could buy I sold them all :( unless I wanted to spend over $500.00 USD to bring something back, it's better spent on law books to further my self taught education :)
    Oh wow good luck on that. Shame you didn't get the Sims 2 UC last summer then. :( But yeah college books are expensive. I remember I spent hundreds of dollars on accounting books. Thankfully loans and scholarships helped pay for them. I just paid off the last of my student loan this month. Um Zuma is on the house this month, so you could try that game maybe? It's really fun. Sims Freeplay is free, but can get annoying to play sometimes. But yeah I know being tight on finances is. I'm kind of glad the Sims 4 expansions don't really appeal to me so far. I have some state certifications I would love to pass. Like CPA which is like the accounting version of passing the bar, licensed tax preparer, and notary. I haven't passed my tax exam so far, but I keep trying. I just wish it didn't cost $50 for each attempt and I'm taking it in the most difficult state to pass. Notary one should be easy. CPA, I'm probably going to struggle through as well. There are like four parts to that and it gets expensive to take.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • ASDF0716ASDF0716 Posts: 1,703 Member
    edited July 2015

@luthienrising said

I see what you are saying. I've played sims and bought everything sims related upon release since Sims 1 came out. It's been part of my routine for years and years. It's been my guilty pleasure, my only true game. My fun, my "me time", and I've enjoyed it. But something is not there in this one. I know for sure it's toddlers, but I don't think that's it. I am taking a break from sims (and my youtube channel) because I just can't find the passion to play like I use to could. Yet I still buy everything upon release (bought Spa Day before Origin even released it by buying in game). I played it for long enough for my sim to get a hand and foot massage and a couple back massages, and I'm done.

I can't bring myself to uninstall yet, but I know the fun... the passion... it's not there. I feel like I'm abandoning a friend, but I won't do this for long. I did have fun with Spa Day... but it was like... meh, somethings not there. I've given myself a deadline. If toddlers, at least, aren't back by the one year anniversary (or at least word about the toddlers that is confirmed) I'm done. I won't keep throwing my money at a game that gives me little to no fun and pleasure. It's been a year and I've only added 800+ hours on my game. I could have added that or more in a couple months on Sims 3... this has been almost a year. So I have tried. Lord knows I have tried. But, I'm getting done.

Unfortunately, for me, it's not just toddlers; toddlers is usually the most convenient and recognizable rallying cry. I'm afraid that for me the game is fundamentally far too lacking in too many areas. It's in the I.C.U and it's 6 and 12 and pickin' if it winds up in the recovery ward or I finally just sign the DNR.
    Good luck to you too @Scobre math is not a strong suit of mine :) but I've had an innate passion for law (which I didn't really realize until about 8 months ago)

event.png
    Unfortunately, for me, it's not just toddlers; toddlers is usually the most convenient and recognizable rallying cry. I'm afraid that for me the game is fundamentally far too lacking in too many areas. It's in the I.C.U and it's 6 and 12 and pickin' if it winds up in the recovery ward or I finally just sign the DNR.

@ASDF0716 Well put! A bit morbid in a way but still gave me a quiet little chuckle

@WriterJunkie it's awesome having you in my head XD. You put it into words that I couldn't find :)

event.png
  • james64468james64468 Posts: 1,276 Member
    My biggest compliant about Sims 4 is their more loading screens than the Sims3. The Sims 3 does has it faults. Sometimes their a random crash. Sometimes I can just press f3 and it fixes it. When making bots sometimes it just gets where you cant build it.
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    It sounds like you want to force yourself to like it... and that isn't going to work. If anything it might make the game more distasteful to you.
    You also sound like you might be stressed in other ways and .. your downtime should be with something you enjoy. If you are studying law you will need downtime... relaxation. I'm not sure how much free time you had before or if your prior games just clicked better. I took a break on the third game. It didn't click for me either. I didn't feel bad leaving the game behind. I was not part of a community online though. It was a game that I wanted to like and just didn't. There is nothing wrong with not liking it.
    Is it the community as much as the game? If its the community there is nothing stopping you from keeping in touch .. or weaning yourself off if that's what is good for you in your life right now.
    egTcBMc.png
  • kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    edited July 2015

@luthienrising said

I'm on a Mac too, but I played it since release on my windows partition. I've gotten past the 'weird.' I think I know what the issues are, I just don't know what a good solution would be.

I also bought Spa Day, and to me, I think it might have been the cure. That's when I started to play with just one big family, and I suddenly discovered that there is literally nothing for sims to do other than socialize or go to a venue.

I always kind of knew, but it never hit me until after buying one more game pack for it. It struck me that this is it. We are several patches, 2 Game Packs, 2 Stuff Packs, and 1 EP in, and there is still literally nothing to do.

Absolutely nothing. The gameplay is empty and compensated by nothing but repetitive goals.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • CipherMandyCipherMandy Posts: 524 Member
    edited July 2015
    What you just described @mwyatt139 was my exact relationship with World of Warcraft.

It was part of my life for 10 years. I made life long friendships, had a guild that I equated to a family, and had an absolute blast. However, I began finding myself playing less and less because it started to lose that feeling.

I would unsub and uninstall, only to resub and reinstall when a new EP came out. I believed whatever expansion we were on would fix my issues with the game. Unfortunately it didn't, and I finally had to ask myself why I was still playing. When I could not think of a valid reason I knew it was time. It was one of the best gaming decisions I have ever made.

Don't get me wrong. It hurt like a son of a plum I cried when I cancelled my sub for the last time, and when I uninstalled. I am incredibly grateful for the time I spent playing the game, and I still have my friends. If you are worried about losing friends within the community, exchange information. If you/them have a twitter/tumblr/facebook find each other there. Or, keep in contact via messages here if you want

It's the same for TS4, or any of the games in the series. If you stop playing, or you do not purchase any of the EPs, base games or so on...it's okay. It happens to each and every single gamer out there. If you take a temporarly leave for TS4, to see if you may enjoy it later, it's okay. If you never play it again, it's okay too.

I'm not sure if this helped, or if it's just a wall of my rambling text lol. I just thought I would say....I have been there, and it'll be okay.
  • kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    edited July 2015
    What you just described @mwyatt139 was my exact relationship with World of Warcraft.

It was part of my life for 10 years. I made life long friendships, had a guild that I equated to a family, and had an absolute blast. However, I began finding myself playing less and less because it started to lose that feeling.

I would unsub and uninstall, only to resub and reinstall when a new EP came out. I believed whatever expansion we were on would fix my issues with the game. Unfortunately it didn't, and I finally had to ask myself why I was still playing. When I could not think of a valid reason I knew it was time. It was one of the best gaming decisions I have ever made.

Don't get me wrong. It hurt like a son of a plum I cried when I cancelled my sub for the last time, and when I uninstalled. I am incredibly grateful for the time I spent playing the game, and I still have my friends. If you are worried about losing friends within the community, exchange information. If you/them have a twitter/tumblr/facebook find each other there. Or, keep in contact via messages here if you want

It's the same for TS4, or any of the games in the series. If you stop playing, or you do not purchase any of the EPs, base games or so on...it's okay. It happens to each and every single gamer out there. If you take a temporarly leave for TS4, to see if you may enjoy it later, it's okay. If you never play it again, it's okay too.

I'm not sure if this helped, or if it's just a wall of my rambling text lol. I just thought I would say....I have been there, and it'll be okay.

I think it's a tad different with the sims. Coming from an anti-social player, it's not friends I'm afraid of losing. I have none and am proud of wearing that badge. It's that sense of being able to lose myself from the day-to-day grind of social acceptances that threatens me.

I loved The Sims (the original) for the simple fact that I could elude reality. I loved it for the sense that I could create a quasi reality that didn't include me or anyone I knew.

I love The Sims 2 for the same reasons. I could create the world I envisioned and play it out. I could create the cast I wanted that had nothing to do with me or my real life, and I could play each and every one for the effort I put into them.

After that, all was lost.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • CipherMandyCipherMandy Posts: 524 Member
    kremesch73 wrote: »

I think it's a tad different with the sims. Coming from an anti-social player, it's not friends I'm afraid of losing. I have none and am proud of wearing that badge. It's that sense of being able to lose myself from the day-to-day grind of social acceptances that threatens me.

I loved The Sims (the original) for the simple fact that I could elude reality. I loved it for the sense that I could create a quasi reality that didn't include me or anyone I knew.

I love The Sims 2 for the same reasons. I could create the world I envisioned and play it out. I could create the cast I wanted that had nothing to do with me or my real life, and I could play each and every one for the effort I put into them.

After that, all was lost.

I actually understand where you are coming from.

I had little to no friends growing up, and all the way in the my mid-twenties. I was painfully shy, and specific events in my past prevented me from trusting, and speaking to others. I turned more, and more to gaming for that escape from reality. Which included The Sims, TS2 specifically, as it provided a place to be alone.

Despite WoW being a "social" game it's not why I started playing or even continued to play. I played only for that escape as well. I did not speak to others, I turned off chat, and emerced myself in the game. As with all of my games, I was there only to lose myself in the story I refused to group, join a guild, and so on. It was just my little character trying to save Azeroth. It wasn't until later that I took the plunge and did a little socializing. Which ended up being good for me, because it helped me to "blossom" I suppose, and work toward being more social/approachable in the real world.

Don't get me wrong, I still do not have many friends and I'm awkward as plum, but I'm okay with that.

As you said, The Sims (1,2,3,4) is that escape from reality and society. Which I think is a wonderful thing, games have this beautiful ability to provide a sanctuary that no where else can.

When a feature, or even that vibe is taken away, that ability is lost. Which is completely heartbreaking. Which is why I initially posted, just to say that I can understand how the OP feels.

Side Note: Forgive me for rambling, grammatical issues, spelling slip-up, or even not making much sense. It is rather late and I am out of coffee.
  • Rukola_SchaafRukola_Schaaf Posts: 3,065 Member
    edited July 2015

@luthienrising said

that's the cruel part of that mess of TS4

i really envy all the SimCity players, that they have an alternative to their beloved franchise
    cause EA just doesn't deserve all that faith & all those excuses & the patience from fans
    doesn't deserve modders correcting & fixing bugs for free, year after year after year
    while TheSims players shoved year after year after year money into EAs pockets just to be presented with this buggy shallow surface of an Early Access insult

& with TS4 it feels just like mockery that slogan by Andrew Wilson : "Players first" :confounded:
    same as it felt to read : "You Rule"
    it's just cruel ...

ASDF0716 wrote: »
    Every so often, I log in and think: "Maybe this time I will enjoy it..."

And then, all the little, lazy annoyances and cut corners slap me in the face and I immediately log back out.

My main family: The Drapers. Thinking about them brings a smile to my face, however, the thing that bugs me is that SO much of what makes me smile when thinking about them... is actually a lie. I have all of these stories about these wonderful sims that I created at launch and while absolutely some of the things happened in game (the birth of their children, for instance), but, the rest of it- is all fake screenshots used to commemorate stories that exist only in my head because they never actually happened in the game... because the game doesn't support my play style. I have screenshots of Avery breaking up with her first boyfriend; the first blemish on an otherwise charmed life. It was supposed to be this drastic and defining moment. I had to use a cheat and add him to the family and do it myself because I knew the game would never do it for me. I once had her father deliberately walk in on her and her boyfriend fooling around in her bedroom. I wanted an explosion of anger followed by a calm and rational conversation about boys. I wanted a freakin' Full House episode! What I got was a father who didn't even react. He didn't care. He turned on the radio and started dancing.
    i am not playing my sims with TS4
    i am protecting my sims from what this game is doing to all sims - offering them a shallow life & turning their characters into an exchangeable farce of boredom

it's like i would be playing a First Person Shooter & the devs would have offered me a first round of amo & after that i am left with a weapon but no amo anymore, i can run around in pretty designed sceneries & the enemies are comming & i'm unable to use my weapon, cause there is just no amo - that is what's wrong with TS4 - there is no real sims in it, no simulation, no sand in the box
    all sims are only one sim & an extremely shallow one

i have no idea why the devs don't put sims into a The Sims game
    don't they see that this is what's missing ?
    why are they unable to know what this franchise, TheSims is ?

no addpack is ever gonna make TS4's basic flaws go away
    either the devs finally put sims & put sandbox & put simulation into this game or they just should go program something else or just give up programming for good
    i just don't get this disability to make a life simulation - i just don't get it

... Yet I still buy everything upon release (bought Spa Day before Origin even released it by buying in game). I played it for long enough for my sim to get a hand and foot massage and a couple back massages, and I'm done.

money is the communication channel EA understands best
    throwing money at them is not the way to communicate that this game is lacking

i just hope for the sake of all people involved that EA is not just closing the entire simulations franchises & moving on to their hopes of money mountains of console & mobile gaming left with mere names of SimCity & TheSims on them without any simulation in them :confounded:

i won't be participating in the forums & the gallery anymore - thanks EA