Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How did this awesome thing happen?

Ok, I fully admit to never being the sharpest crayon in the box. But recently I have discovered something about my game which makes me love it far, far more. This may be mod related as I have them, betting @igazor will know.

First thing I noticed was when I wanted to call a sim and using my relationship panel. I get all the interactions available as if they were on my current lot. Even 'invite to cuddle'. For example, if I click a sim in the panel and choose, say, 'greet', my sim will go to that sim and greet them wherever they are in the world.

The second thing I noticed is when I right click on a sim's icon in the relationship panel - or even in a pop up notification - my camera takes me directly to that sim. Makes it super easy to find them. The reason I suspect this is mod related is that if it takes me to their house, it opens their house. I can't see actual sims in it so it isn't open open, but I can see inside clearly. If they are on a community lot of course I can see everyone there.

Comments

• AstroAstro Posts: 6,651 Member
    I didn't know about the first one, but for the second one it's not mod related. I remember I found that out a few months ago, and I don't think I had any mods...

But I don't remember if it opened up their house when I did that.
  • TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I've had both things show up in my games and the houses always open up even if I just move the camera over to theo other house and I can only see the sims in there if I unpause the game.I've got 88 NRaas Mod files and HomeOpener is one of them and it's used for running home inspections.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    Hahaha... I'm just sitting here cringing at the thought that one of the two things have been in the game all along and I have just never noticed. Can't imagine, though, with the amount of hours I must have logged in this game over the years, but anything is possible.

lmao, Tad, you're not likely to help in narrowing it down as you have so many! :D I don't have Home Opener, though.
  • TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    The other thing is likely from NRaas Relationship Panel which is another Mod I've got installed.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
    edited July 2015
    I do have Relationship Panel.

I haven't had that one very long.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Did you know that the game actually produces real baked goods every time a child sim uses the toy oven? If you haven't opened your computer case lately, there very well might be years' worth of tiny muffins and pies stacked up in there. :)

(that was lame, igazor cringes at the booing audience and dodges the rotten fruit and tiny muffins thrown at the stage)

1 - The extra commands on the relationship panel are from the RelationshipPanel mod as Tad said. You can get those commands and more info on mouse-over on the thumbnails in pop-up notifications as well if you have the SecondImage mod. Wow, i don't think I've ever mentioned SecondImage here before; it's not a mod that gets as much love and attention as it should.

2 - I thought the right-click to focus was also coming from the RP mod, but am willing to believe that EA also added that function in with a patch or something. You have to be careful with right-clicking if you also have the Selector mod since, by default, right-clicking will change active households on you. I love Selector for other reasons but have to keep that option switched off or else I keep clumsily switching households when I really mean to be just refocusing the game camera.

HomeOpener is fantastic, but not for everyone. It opens up every residential lot in town all at once, with no way to be restrictive. That can cause all sims in town to be animated when they aren't being watched once you focus the camera on their homes and their interiors get loaded instead of hibernating inside doing nothing or appearing to just stare at their own walls. It's actually the way EA originally intended TS3 and the open world to work in the very beginning. But for worlds with more than just a few households, all the extra processing required to keep all sims animated and pushed around in their own homes all the time as they take care of their needs, interact with each other, and have fun tends to drag the game's performance down. In very large worlds, even on spiffy computer systems, such can cause so much lag that the game could become unplayable. But if you can make it work, it's fun to use.

Many of us use MasterController to selectively open a few lots at a time instead of all of them in the entire world at once. That's how we get to snoop on our neighbors and friends/relatives in other houses.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member

The second thing I noticed is when I right click on a sim's icon in the relationship panel - or even in a pop up notification - my camera takes me directly to that sim. Makes it super easy to find them. The reason I suspect this is mod related is that if it takes me to their house, it opens their house. I can't see actual sims in it so it isn't open open, but I can see inside clearly. If they are on a community lot of course I can see everyone there.

I've wondered how many simmers don't know this because I have often seen complaints of simmers not liking large homes or having their sims distributed across the town because it was a pain to find them. It's not a pain at all because simply double clinking, or right mouse button clinking on their icons will take you directly to them. :)

You can also do it other sims in their relationship panel if you want to find them too.

The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
    @igazor, I may have to check that mod out, SecondImage, and see what it has to offer. All those extra interactions are quite a time-saver, so easy. I wonder when EA added that in a patch, I know I could always click on my family members and locate them that way, and I know it wasn't always the case because of struggling to find people around town to complete opportunities.

But to right click on anyone at all in that relationship panel? And be zoomed straight to them? Freaking cool. I can even see what Champ the dog is up to, lol.

I don't think I will be getting HomeOpener, I don't feel the need to see inside everyone's house at once, I do use MC for that if needs be. Then close it again. I will be having about 35 households in my new world, I don't need the lag from open houses, but I have thoroughly enjoyed snooping with MC. Even had a long picture thread on it years back now. I don't have Selector, either. I do wish they'd pushed harder to make a fully open world possible without killing a computer. I would have thought that at least the miniscule neighborhoods of three or so houses in TS4 could have been opened at one time. Oh well.

@CK213, I knew I could right click on the sims in my own household and be taken to them, but you are saying the ability to do so for anyone in your relationship panel has been in the game all along?! :open_mouth:
  • IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    I have been told before that right clicking or double clicking on the thumbnail of a sim in my sim's relationship panel would take the camera to them, but it doesn't work. Nothing happens. I think you guys must have a mod that does it, and have gotten so used to it happening that you don't realize it's a mod. It's not in the game. I've tried repeatedly, and it has never happened.
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,920 Member
    I have used that clicking on the relationship panel to find a sim for years. And I've only had mods for the past year.

There was a time a few years ago when that particular action broke and it would crash the game if you tried to do it - but they fixed that issue in a patch not long after it broke.

One thing I discovered and now use a lot involves a genie. If I want a genie to magically clean a sim I used to do it only if they are in the same room. But I've discovered I can do it even if they are on opposite sides of their world. It is occasionally very convenient to be able to clean a dirty sim if you want them to keep doing something without having to go and find a shower.
    IreneSwift wrote: »
    I have been told before that right clicking or double clicking on the thumbnail of a sim in my sim's relationship panel would take the camera to them, but it doesn't work. Nothing happens. I think you guys must have a mod that does it, and have gotten so used to it happening that you don't realize it's a mod. It's not in the game. I've tried repeatedly, and it has never happened.

It didn't use to happen to me, I am almost 100% certain of that.
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member

@CK213, I knew I could right click on the sims in my own household and be taken to them, but you are saying the ability to do so for anyone in your relationship panel has been in the game all along?! :open_mouth:

I think it may just apply to anyone in the relationship panel who happens to be close by. My sim knows a paparazzi and I can click on her in the relationship panel and the game takes me to her. She just left the lot and I can't track her anymore.

The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    CK213 wrote: »
    I think it may just apply to anyone in the relationship panel who happens to be close by. My sim knows a paparazzi and I can click on her in the relationship panel and the game takes me to her. She just left the lot and I can't track her anymore.
    Did she merely wander away from the lot or did she disappear from the map entirely and go into hibernation? Service and Role Sims who are not instantiated (materialized) cannot be focused on with the RP function or by any other means, even with mods, so this is not unexpected.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net