Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Rest in Peace, Iwata

mizuru007mizuru007 Posts: 1,085 Member
edited July 2015 in Off Topic Chat
Somewhat game-related, but in no way related to EA, Maxis, or The Sims, it was announced today that Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President, has passed away today. Absolutely devastating to so many people, myself included. Was surprised to see that there hadn't been an announcement on the forum, so I thought I would go ahead and make this thread.

Iwata-san was an amazing man full of energy, character, and heart who will be dearly missed. He didn't share my blood, but he still felt like precious family and it hurts just as much to know that he is gone. Such an amazing human being... Rest in peace.

Feel free to share any words that you may have here, provided that you can manage to stay respectful.

Comments

• SimPoseyYumSimPoseyYum Posts: 995 Member
    Very sad news, indeed. Both my son and I were shocked when we heard earlier this evening. We thought about how many hours of joy we've experienced because of Iwata-san. Rest in peace.

Thank you for making this thread, @mizuru007, and for sharing the link.
  • BariSaxyBariSaxy Posts: 4,699 Member
    edited July 2015
    I don't think I've ever been this sad from a famous person passing away. He was just far too young. My heart goes out to his family and friends.

I really didn't like many of the things Nintendo has done in recent years, BUT a lot of the things that Iwata did, I did like. For example, he brought things like the Nintendo Directs and Iwata Asks. He was all about periodically communicating information out to the fans, and I hope the company doesn't lose everything he brought.

He did plenty of amazing things for games, as well... One example being compressing Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal so they could fit in Kanto in the post game!
    OO2UdmJ.png
  • midnightpearlmidnightpearl Posts: 6,578 Member
    I've never heard of him, but rest in peace!
  • GabbyGirlJGabbyGirlJ Posts: 6,858 Member
    edited July 2015
    It's so sad. My heart goes out to his family and loved ones. He will be missed. My husband texted this quote to me this morning:
    "On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer."
    - Iwata-san.

Rest in peace.
    IHJCfa6.jpg
  • sunshineandsimoleonssunshineandsimoleons Posts: 8,413 Member
    Sad to hear, cancer really plum.
    WLfAA9V.png
  • WeathieWeathie Posts: 486 Member
    I saw this on my twitter feed first thing this morning. So, so sad. What an amazing man. He will be missed by many.
    untitled-1.png

• YJB19299YJB19299 Posts: 5,801 Member
    That was such shocking news for me today, first I thought it was a joke but then I realised that he is dead. Thats really sad because he was such a genius of video games (I'm an nintendo player and loved the whole Mario Series) My thoughts are by his family now :(

R.I.P Satoru Iwata :(
    c6fj8ujnodut.png
  • ByondTime89ByondTime89 Posts: 1,505 Member
    edited July 2015
    So very upsetting... He has touched nearly everyone in the world, I imagine, working for Nintendo since the 80s... I know half the gamer friends I have started with a Nintendo game, as have I. He will be greatly missed and loved!
    Gallery & Origin ID: ByondTime89
  • dreamerz13dreamerz13 Posts: 9,927 Member
    It's so sad, I don't remember a time we didn't have a Nintendo system in the house, there probably wasn't one since before I was born considering Nintendo's age vs. mine. And the fact that my parents told me tales of annoying my uncle (I believe) with music from the original Zelda as they played it so much.

I love Nintendo, so naturally, the death of Nintendo's president is a sad thing. Most deaths of public figures are really just like any stranger dying, sure it's never a happy occurrence but it's just a passing "well that's kinda sad" thought. But this isn't one of those passing thoughts. :(

Rest in peace Satoru Iwata.
  • SarahsShadySarahsShady Posts: 963 Member
    R.I.P a great loss to the gaming community
    giphy.gif

Please Bring Back Toddlers, Realistic Teenagers and Create a World.
    Make the Sims (4) Great Again<3

• WitchessPancakesWitchessPancakes Posts: 209 Member
    How sad! This will rock the game industry hard IMHO. My condolences to his family and the Nintendo family as well.
    The oranges of the Island are like blazing fire Amongst the emerald boughs- And the lemons are like the paleness of a lover- Who has spent the night crying... -Mohammed Ibn Omar-