Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Old Book Club Thread - Check out the New One!

Comments

• friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    Bugsie2016 wrote: »
    Going to post some more reader questions for anyone interested (these are terrible but I'm trying...):

What was your favourite part of this chapter? Why?

Bit random but, if you could pick a character to come join your story, which one would you pick? (This is just another way of saying which is your favourite character. :lol: )

Which character do you think you'd get on best with?

the part where you said i was right. :)
  • CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    (I'm going to answer questions tomorrow... as well as pose a few for the writer!)
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
    CathyTea wrote: »
    (I'm going to answer questions tomorrow... as well as pose a few for the writer!)

i love that by the time i see your posts its tomorrow. :)
  • ForgottenPixelsForgottenPixels Posts: 11,376 Member
    Going to post some more reader questions for anyone interested (these are terrible but I'm trying...):

Bit random but, if you could pick a character to come join your story, which one would you pick? (This is just another way of saying which is your favourite character. :lol: )

Don't think that's a part of the chapter. :lol:

Don't think that's a part of the chapter. :lol:

yes it was you and discussed it. so no its not part of the actual chapter but we did talk about it. :):p
    All righty! My questions for Bugsie: @Bugsie2016

--> Where did the inspiration for this story come from?

--> Will you tell us about your writing process? For example, what type of planning do you do? When and how often do you tend to think about this story? How much time do you daydream about it and the characters? How far out have you planned the plot?

--> What do you gain from writing this? What's most satisfying? Most frustrating?

--> What do you feel you do really well in this story and what, if anything, do you wish you did better or differently?

--> Do you have someone you talk with about the story, as you're writing and planning it? If so, what aspects do you talk about? Are there any aspects of the writing that you won't talk about with people until after you've written them?

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
    Responses to Bugsie's questions for readers ( @Bugsie2016 ):

I love the first sentence and the whole scene of Melete waiting for her wedding. I never got married, but I remember my sister's and my sister-in-law's wedding days really clearly. As a young girl/young teen watching these two brides during the hours before the wedding, I felt all their nervousness, happiness, questions, and the weight that was on their shoulders. (Maybe that's why I decided not to get married! ha!) Anyway, this chapter captures this. And even in the beginning, we get such a sense of Melete's royalty and responsibility, as well as her hesitance.

It's a type of growing-up, just in the space of a few sentences, a few hours...

I'm aesthetically drawn to Xander--those green eyes!

But I think I'd like Hemera (also green-eyed, right?) to join my Lighthouse story. She seems like she could be a good friend for Mallory!

I'm guessing Hemera, but I don't know her well. Who do you think I'd get on best with?

edited July 2018
    Where did the inspiration for this story come from?
    As is mentioned on the PTLT thread's first page, I got the idea while I was reading @MrsRacooney 's story (which actually is an amazon story). The full explaination is on that first page. :) I made Mel, Aoide, Thycon, Orion, Atlas and Alecto (along with Mel's dog who we haven't seen) at the beginning of december/late november and spent the entirety of december with the urge to write it. I gave in and wrote at the middle/end of December ( @simscognito did a lot of pre-reading for me :) ) and published the first one on January 1st

Will you tell us about your writing process? For example, what type of planning do you do? When and how often do you tend to think about this story? How much time do you daydream about it and the characters? How far out have you planned the plot?
    Writing process? Er, well I tend to have an idea what I want to be in the chapter and just start writing. That's all there is to it. I think about this story every so often, the plot gets complicated (and has had revisions) so I have to go through it all in my head. We'll soon be into the main story. Everything before now has been the beginning of it. :) I tend to use the story as a way to relax my brain before going to sleep (unless another story is on my brain) as it's complicated and has many things that must happen before other things. I have it planned out for about 7 years into the future with some interesting story developments. ;)

What do you gain from writing this? What's most satisfying? Most frustrating?
    I guess I gain writing experience. :lol: The most satisfying parts are any time I get to write something positive or that will later be important. I also love Xelete conversations. The most frustrating is trying to keep writing Xand's confusion and Melete's misunderstanding without it getting boring or repetitive. So, I have to give them some fun scenes together to keep things interesting. Such as the scene in one my recent chapters. (Second to last one.)

What do you feel you do really well in this story and what, if anything, do you wish you did better or differently?

I think I'm alright at the planning part. The thing I wished I was better at was writing down my planning successfully (this isn't just a PTLT thing). xD

Do you have someone you talk with about the story, as you're writing and planning it? If so, what aspects do you talk about? Are there any aspects of the writing that you won't talk about with people until after you've written them?
    I talk sometimes with Cog and @MrsRacooney , who both get some spoilers on things as I need to discuss said spoilery things (or just because :lol: ). We mainly talk about Xelete and sometimes Xelete nooboos, who are all named. One of Mel's sons (minor spoiler, she has more than one) was named during a discussion on what Coonsy (mrsracooney) and I thought was a weird spelling of a name. So, he got that name. :joy: I jokingly said I would but now I can't pick any other name...

Haven't had a good spoiler ridden discussion recently (this week doesn't count as most people don't know the spoilery things I've told them both :lol: ) There is a lot of the major plot no one knows until those chapters get released. ;)
    edited July 2018
    Okay, so I remember someone saying they appreciated how much CC this chapter probably took but surprisingly, to me, it doesn't feel like a whole lot. I didn't download any new cc. (Maybe a hair or something a few days before.) So, all of it was in my game already. :) Most of my characters were already dressed in their clothes for this as well. :)

Actually, I'll share some fun pictures of Mel's bedroom (the one at the end of the chapter). :) It's my favourite room in that save (it's only close rival being the room I use for Xelete photoshoots on tumblr).
  • MrsRacooneyMrsRacooney Posts: 2,091 Member
    I talk sometimes with Cog and @MrsRacooney , who both get some spoilers on things as I need to discuss said spoilery things (or just because :lol: ). We mainly talk about Xelete and sometimes Xelete nooboos, who are all named. One of Mel's sons (minor spoiler, she has more than one) was named during a discussion on what Coonsy (mrsracooney) and I thought was a weird spelling of a name. So, he got that name. :joy: I jokingly said I would but now I can't pick any other name...

Thank you for the mention! You also tend to spoiler me because I'm always eager for Xelete and historic spoilery stuff. :D And I love our (Mel's :# ) little boy and his (very awesome, unique) name! :smiley: He's my favorite of gen 2 already :D
    fdZPJYy.jpg
    Chapters | Updated 09/26
    edited July 2018

Thank you for the mention! You also tend to spoiler me because I'm always eager for Xelete and historic spoilery stuff. :D And I love our (Mel's :# ) little boy and his (very awesome, unique) name! :smiley: He's my favorite of gen 2 already :D

Who said I'm doing a gen 2??? (Doubting it...) Also, if you hang around..got the cover of the new Ikea catalogue: Light tribe edition...
    edited July 2018
    Who said I'm doing a gen 2??? (Doubting it...) Also, if you hang around..got the cover of the new Ikea catalogue: Light tribe edition...

Whaaat!!! :cold_sweat: No gen 2! Butbutbut what about our baby boy!
    Wow. Light tribe Ikea catalogue. Hope they don't deliver terrible instructions on how to reconstruct that furniture at home, too :D
    fdZPJYy.jpg
    Chapters | Updated 09/26

Whaaat!!! :cold_sweat: No gen 2! Butbutbut what about our baby boy!
    Wow. Light tribe Ikea catalogue. Hope they don't deliver terrible instructions on how to reconstruct that furniture at home, too :D

He's in the story. :) Don't worry. ;)

Also, photos (Coonsy, don't ask where I got stuff..I don't remember. But, if you really need something..let me know.)
    tumblr_pcm81dlpZd1wv47k8o1_540.png
    tumblr_pcm81dlpZd1wv47k8o3_540.png
    tumblr_pcm81dlpZd1wv47k8o4_540.png
    tumblr_pcm81dlpZd1wv47k8o2_540.png
    tumblr_pcm81dlpZd1wv47k8o6_540.png
    tumblr_pcm81dlpZd1wv47k8o7_540.png
    He's in the story. :) Don't worry. ;)

Also, photos (Coonsy, don't ask where I got stuff..I don't remember. But, if you really need something..let me know.)

There's a lot of Sims Medieval going on :p Too medieval and thus modern for Serkon. We don't want him to feel too advanced and look down on Xelete
    fdZPJYy.jpg
    Chapters | Updated 09/26
  • simscognitosimscognito Posts: 16,599 Member
    @Bugsie2016 I am so sorry I took so long to answer these questions. I also apologise for incoherency in my responses. I was struggling to put my thoughts into words.

What do you think of Melete in this chapter? What do you think of Xander?

I love Melete in this chapter. It’s interesting getting to learn more about her. For example, we realise she doesn’t much like crowds or attention. Kinda a shame she’s the bride and Queen, becaue I think Xander would quite like the attention. :D

I love Melete’s relationship with her mother in this. It’s very intimate and I feel like her mother understands her more than Melete realises. I feel like her mother’s gone through these similar nerves when she was marrying her husband who she didn’t know. However, there is obviously a dfference because Melete thinks she is marrying someone who can never love her.

Which is why this is such a fascinating chapter. Wedding chapters that I’ve read are usually either super happy or super tragic. This is neither. Well, this is in fact a really nerve-wracking yet engrossing read. You’re never sure exactly how Melete and Xander feel about this or how they are going to react.

Also, can we all have a moment to appreciate this line from Xander when he’s being woken up for his wedding day by his brother? ’ ‘I am not sure whether to take that as you cannot wait to be rid of me, or you are excited to have me become your fellow king. Or did you forget that I am marrying the Queen of Light?’ :D Xander is such a character. But it’s interesting seeing his perspective during the wedding ceremony. Especially since, I think the chapter before we see him start to develop feelings for Melete.

What’s interesting about Xand in this chapter, is we see hints of his growing maturity. At the beginning of this story, Xand was a real brat, but here we see that he is capable of being reasonable. The first glint of this is when he’s talking to Arc and telling him to relax about the mistake he made with the ceremonial food. Alex told him not to worry about it. I’m pretty sure the brattish Xander would have not been so chill. Having said that, Xander had got a lot on his mind, but I like to interpret this as him gaining maturity.

Later, we see Xand beginning to warm to the idea of being Melete’s husband which is another sign of his growing maturity.

What do you think it meant to Melete when her family compared her to her father?

Yeah, I agree with @CathyTea here, she seemed really pleased. She defineitly looked up to her dad and it was a real compliment to be likened to a good leader. Her father was a good leader, right?

What do you think of this development in Melete and Xander's relationship?
    I love this relationship. It’s sad because it’s full of misunderstandings, but it’s sweet because they obviously care about each other.

How does this chapter feel after all the build up to it? Was it anti-climactic? Or did you think it was worth all the build-up that was made of it?
    I actaully find this a really interesting chapter. There’s so many stories and comparisons to be made here. I feel that this chapter is soo much more than Melete and Xander themselves. Within this chapter, we hear the other characer’s stories around marriage. We have Xander’s mother’s story and we are reminded of Melete’s mother’s story. On top of this, there is discussion surrounding the death of Xander’s dad. All these sub-narratives that surround this wedding creates this feeling that these experiences will somehow be relevant to the current coouple, Melete and Xander.

Xander hugging his mother. It was so warm and sweet. It was a great pose you used. ☺

Bit random but, if you could pick a character to come join your story, which one would you pick? (This is just another way of saying which is your favourite character. )

Xander! But you know why! :joy:

Melete, because she’s interesting.
    edited July 2018
    @Bugsie2016 I am so sorry I took so long to answer these questions. I also apologise for incoherency in my responses. I was struggling to put my thoughts into words.

What do you think of Melete in this chapter? What do you think of Xander?

I love Melete in this chapter. It’s interesting getting to learn more about her. For example, we realise she doesn’t much like crowds or attention. Kinda a shame she’s the bride and Queen, becaue I think Xander would quite like the attention. :D

I love Melete’s relationship with her mother in this. It’s very intimate and I feel like her mother understands her more than Melete realises. I feel like her mother’s gone through these similar nerves when she was marrying her husband who she didn’t know. However, there is obviously a dfference because Melete thinks she is marrying someone who can never love her.

Which is why this is such a fascinating chapter. Wedding chapters that I’ve read are usually either super happy or super tragic. This is neither. Well, this is in fact a really nerve-wracking yet engrossing read. You’re never sure exactly how Melete and Xander feel about this or how they are going to react.

Also, can we all have a moment to appreciate this line from Xander when he’s being woken up for his wedding day by his brother? ’ ‘I am not sure whether to take that as you cannot wait to be rid of me, or you are excited to have me become your fellow king. Or did you forget that I am marrying the Queen of Light?’ :D Xander is such a character. But it’s interesting seeing his perspective during the wedding ceremony. Especially since, I think the chapter before we see him start to develop feelings for Melete.

What’s interesting about Xand in this chapter, is we see hints of his growing maturity. At the beginning of this story, Xand was a real brat, but here we see that he is capable of being reasonable. The first glint of this is when he’s talking to Arc and telling him to relax about the mistake he made with the ceremonial food. Alex told him not to worry about it. I’m pretty sure the brattish Xander would have not been so chill. Having said that, Xander had got a lot on his mind, but I like to interpret this as him gaining maturity.

Later, we see Xand beginning to warm to the idea of being Melete’s husband which is another sign of his growing maturity.
    Melete very much hates the attention being on her. When she first became Queen, it was a big adjustment because before she had been a regular kid, doing whatever kids do. But then she was who everyone looked up to (or down on because she was 10 years old so not sure how everyone would be feeling about that. Although, they would quite literally be looking down on her...everyone else was taller than her..)

Alecto does pick up on Mel's feelings more than Mel picks up on them herself. Alecto didn't spend 12 years as the Queen, herself, not to able to pick on people's emotions. When Melete was a teenager, they had a rocky relationship because Mel didn't want to listen to Alecto. But, Alecto was usually right about things. She'd been there before with most of what Mel was experiencing and just wanted to make things easier. Once Mel grew up, into an adult, she realised that. She appreciates Alecto a lot more now she understand where Alecto's opinions come from.

I would agree this chapter is neither super happy or super tragic. There are parts that are happy and parts that are tragic (well one part) but it's not all of the chapter. :)

That line from Xand is one of my favourites. I was worried because it sounded kinda awkward in my head and a bit long but I'm glad its alright. :)

I would agree Xand was a spoilt brat when he was a teenager. We have Archimedes and Corrina to blame for that. Although, I wouldn't hate them for it. Before Xand was born (about 6 years before) they had another kid but they died of some mysterious illness (btw, didn't actually plan this.. corrina 'told me' about it if you get what I mean) and they spent a long time being depressed and angry. But then, 6 years later they had Xand. As we know, they weren't expecting another baby but they got their youngest. A little boy they named after Corrina's uncle, who raised her. Obviously, it wasn't an instant fix. They were mostly worried because they didn't want a repeat of last time. But, that obviously didn't happen.

As the youngest child among 7 (counting Xand's sister), he got all the attention and most things he wanted. Because he was their miracle child. So, yeah, do blame Corrina but be nice about it. :)

Anyway, now that we know why he was a brat, onto him being reasonable. I feel like maybe part of him telling Arc to relax was him being reasonable but most of it was actually the fact it was 8 in the morning, he'd just woken up and Arc discussing slip ups was stressing him. However, interpret it how you will.

Xand has known since he was 10 that he was going to be Mel's future husband. He kinda knew before but when Mel became Queen, he was needed there so his parents had to fully explain it to him.
    What do you think it meant to Melete when her family compared her to her father?

Yeah, I agree with @CathyTea here, she seemed really pleased. She defineitly looked up to her dad and it was a real compliment to be likened to a good leader. Her father was a good leader, right?

What do you think of this development in Melete and Xander's relationship?
    I love this relationship. It’s sad because it’s full of misunderstandings, but it’s sweet because they obviously care about each other.

How does this chapter feel after all the build up to it? Was it anti-climactic? Or did you think it was worth all the build-up that was made of it?
    I actaully find this a really interesting chapter. There’s so many stories and comparisons to be made here. I feel that this chapter is soo much more than Melete and Xander themselves. Within this chapter, we hear the other characer’s stories around marriage. We have Xander’s mother’s story and we are reminded of Melete’s mother’s story. On top of this, there is discussion surrounding the death of Xander’s dad. All these sub-narratives that surround this wedding creates this feeling that these experiences will somehow be relevant to the current coouple, Melete and Xander.
    Melete 100% looks up to Thycon, even after he's been dead for 10 years. If we're honest, he was her favourite parent. Not saying that she doesn't love Alecto but Mel and Thycon, I feel, had a special bond. She misses him every single day and for anyone to tell her she's like her dad means a lot. The line where Alecto tells Mel that he would be proud of her is probably the best thing Alecto could tell Mel. It settles most of her own nerves.

Xelete's relationship is complicated. It can be put into sentences but it's a matter of finding the right sentences to use. Now I'm starting to sound like Mel.. :lol: 100% something she would say.

The thing about any event, is that there isn't just the event itself. People's lives don't freeze to allow a couple to get married. Things are happening in the background and people have their experiences. There will be things that hint towards bad things but you wouldn't pick them up until after the bad thing happens itself.

Xander hugging his mother. It was so warm and sweet. It was a great pose you used. ☺

Bit random but, if you could pick a character to come join your story, which one would you pick? (This is just another way of saying which is your favourite character.)

Xander! But you know why! :joy:

Melete, because she’s interesting.

That Xand and Corrina scene is my favourite scene between them. :)

I actually don't know why you would pick Xander. Maybe to have a good talking to Alex Cruz, the king of drama (I swear that's his nickname from me, drama king :lol: Sorry. :sweat_smile: )

I feel most people would get along with Mel. :)
    Post edited by ForgottenPixels on
    edited July 2018
    Deleted 'cause I remembered it's Monday...
  • simscognitosimscognito Posts: 16,599 Member

@Bugsie2016 aww I wouldn't mind discussing your story further. Besides, you're the last feature. :)

Yeah! We can totally talk more about your story! :)

Undelete! :)

I'm going to be posting a transition/in-between season announcement soon, but let's finish talking about your story, first! I feel like there's more we can say!

• BlackUndecimberBlackUndecimber Posts: 1,116 Member
    More answers!

I said before in my previous answers but it would be that very last past, and that very last screenshot. Two of them alone in the world. It gives me a sense of ‘all is alright in the world’.

Bit random but, if you could pick a character to come join your story, which one would you pick? (This is just another way of saying which is your favourite character. :D )

I’m going to go with Mel. I think she’d fit in with the Winters, because they’re a mostly a serious and introverted bunch. Then again, someone like Xander might be awesome to come join too, just to hang out casually. Good family friend style.

Me, I think Xander. We’re both lazy, not too serious, up for a bit of fun. I feel like we can lie on opposite couches all day and binge watch comedy shows together. And have snacks too, of course.

No further questions, your Honor. :)

Yeah! We can totally talk more about your story! :)

Undelete! :)

I'm going to be posting a transition/in-between season announcement soon, but let's finish talking about your story, first! I feel like there's more we can say!

The question was who do you ship Alecto with? I personally am thinking about making Orito a thing (Orion + Alecto) Reason under spoiler for anyone not fully caught up.
    Technically, Orion is a prince as son of a king. So, not like she's marrying some random duke. Plus, they're both very lonely people. Alecto has lost her husband and Orion lost his family when he was sent to a slave trader by his father so the queen didn't find out about him 'cause he's the result of the king's affair with the baker's wife.
    Hi, everyone! @Bugsie2016 - Thank you so much for being the last Tasty Read of the season! I had a great time getting to know your story.

And now... we're in between seasons! It's a great time for transition, reflection, and change!

As for the change... I'm stepping down from being the main coordinator, and @simscognito is stepping up!

Cog will be creating a new Book Club thread, and then, we'll be carrying the conversation over there... I'll link to it here once the thread is created.

We'll spend a bit of time talking about what worked during the last season, what we want to continue, and what, if anything, we want to change.

We've already received three nominations for the next season, so we are certainly committed to continuing, and soon, we'll be opening up for more nominations!

Be sure to check back here to find the link to the brand new thread!

(And a million thanks to Cog for taking over! I greatly appreciate it!)

• MunterbaconMunterbacon Posts: 5,082 Member
    Thanks for all the work you've done over the years with this thread CT, I know I don't frequent here but I pop in from time to time and am always happy to see it trucking along. Will look forward to doing the same with Cog's thread and maybe participating when a story I read pops up! :D
    dustshaela.jpg
    Origin ID: Munter_Bacon
    Ironbound (end of season break) | STRIKE! (currently updating) | The Colours of my Heart (on hiatus)
    edited August 2018
    Hi, everyone! @Bugsie2016 - Thank you so much for being the last Tasty Read of the season! I had a great time getting to know your story.

And now... we're in between seasons! It's a great time for transition, reflection, and change!

As for the change... I'm stepping down from being the main coordinator, and @simscognito is stepping up!

Cog will be creating a new Book Club thread, and then, we'll be carrying the conversation over there... I'll link to it here once the thread is created.

We'll spend a bit of time talking about what worked during the last season, what we want to continue, and what, if anything, we want to change.

We've already received three nominations for the next season, so we are certainly committed to continuing, and soon, we'll be opening up for more nominations!

Be sure to check back here to find the link to the brand new thread!

(And a million thanks to Cog for taking over! I greatly appreciate it!)

that just means you'll get a new idea. :) congrats cog you will be awesome.
  • Simslover163Simslover163 Posts: 2,833 Member
    CT, thank you so much for all the hard work you've put into Book Club! I had fun with it and I'm looking forward to having the same amount of fun with Cog as the coordinator. :)
    sEgXZ52.jpg
    Sims 3 Blog | Tales from Veronica L. Hopkins High | Camellia Treasures (Coming Soon)