Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How will they implement garages?

kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
I was just thinking about this little issue I've noticed while attempting to re-create an old home I used to house-sit. It's on a platform with cement stairs leading to the front doorway, and it suddenly hit me. I'm kind of attempting to see if I can 'work around' the issue. But the issue remains: If every building on the lot is raised with the platform tool, how can/will the Sims team implement garages if they ever bring us cars?

This actually concerns me all the sudden.

Example of what I'm talking about (It's obviously just begun):

Driveways.jpg
Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5

Comments

• Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    it would work like in TS2 :p you had foundations there too.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

Yes we did, but they were per building; not in control of every building on the lot.
    Maybe they'll give us ramps like in your image....?

I would just like them to break us free of the obligatory foundation rules. I want multi-level foundations back. I miss having a work shop on the ground level and the house on a foundation.

Me too. Right now, the roof tool seem to work. I'm not crazy about the bump, but I'm going to continue with this build to see how/if I can make it work. I really don't know why they made it the way they did. I love build mode a lot, but there are some things I really don't understand their reasoning behind.
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    Maybe they will give us a new ramp object that can change it's hight according to the foundation's high. You need to think new not use what you have already.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    XopaxPaxXopaxPax Posts: 1,769 Member
    I guessing when you put the garage it will create a hole in the foundation, does that make sense for anyone? :p
    tenor.gif
  • Options
    Maybe they will give us a new ramp object that can change it's hight according to the foundation's high. You need to think new not use what you have already.

To be honest, I wouldn't be crazy about that. There are some building that I actually don't want raised from the ground. Especially those old victorian homes and farmhouses with their make-shift wooden garages. I guess platforms are the new flat.
  • Options
    lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,095 Member

The difference was though that you could use the CFE cheat to lower your garage floor down where you needed it and still have the house on a foundation/garage on the ground match up. Or you could build your house with a foundation and the garage without one.
    The only way I see it working in Sims 4 is if they somehow change the coding to allow mixed foundation/no foundation or you just have to not use a foundation if you want a proper garage.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • Options
    wynwyn Posts: 901 Member
    They could be super lazy and just give us a carport. :)
    Origin ID: WyntirLily
  • Options
    catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    I haven't built in TS3 in along time but there were garages, how did they work?
  • Options
    I haven't built in TS3 in along time but there were garages, how did they work?

We had the choice to use platforms where we wanted them. Same as in S2.
  • Options
    Or maybe the whole garage itself will be a object?
    tenor.gif
  • Options
    Nik24X7Nik24X7 Posts: 7,865 Member
    In TS3, garages didn't work. That is, in the sense that the car would pop into the driver's inventory or magically appear in the parking space. Didn't matter where that space was. I even had them in the basements of some homes.
    Origin ID: nik24x7
  • Options
    Nik24X7 wrote: »
    In TS3, garages didn't work. That is, in the sense that the car would pop into the driver's inventory or magically appear in the parking space. Didn't matter where that space was. I even had them in the basements of some homes.

I doubt they will do TS3 style of cars again. That was a major mistake and no one was happy with it.

tenor.gif
  • Options
    Bonsai747Bonsai747 Posts: 121 Member
    XopaxPax wrote: »
    Or maybe the whole garage itself will be a object?

Ohhhh I hope not! I think that they're going to have to patch in multilevel foundations eventually. We need them for terrain editing as well.
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    I don't think we will get cars. If they can't make a sim pick up a plate without it floating into their hand, I don't see them making cars to drive to the end of the block.
  • Options
    PiperbirdPiperbird Posts: 4,161 Member
    wyn wrote: »
    They could be super lazy and just give us a carport. :)

Unfortunately, that does not work if your house has a foundation, either. Well, it sort of works, but it looks silly, because the supports for the car port have to be on foundation pieces, too. On the two homes I have built with car ports the first one I gave up on the foundation and made the house flat, and the second I gave up on the car port all together and deleted it.
    Visit me in the gallery! CC-free builds under origin name Piperbird!
    06-01-15_5-18nbspPM_zps8s8jcirw.png
  • Options
    MikeAM91MikeAM91 Posts: 165 Member
    I'm not sure how they will implement garages. All I know is I want garages and vehicles ASAP!
  • Options
    TS_DivaTS_Diva Posts: 477 Member
    I have a carport on one of my shared homes. It's called Modular 70s Home, if you would like to look at it.
  • Options
    HolyGourdHolyGourd Posts: 39 New Member
    edited June 2015
    What's the point of having cars in game if you instantly teleport to any location you travel to?

I guess they could just be decoration, but there doesen't seem like much point to me
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    HolyGourd wrote: »
    What's the point of having cars in game if you instantly teleport to any location you travel to?

I guess they could just be decoration, but there doesen't seem like much point to me

For the same reason they were in S1 and 2? It added realism to the homes we wanted to create and made it feel more like a simulation than an empty lot. I could ask the same about S3. What was the point of having them if they can fit in your pocket? Seems like a silly question, but it's not.

It's all for the reason of re-creating, as in 'sim'-ulating semi-realism. As a builder, it's very important to me.
  • Options
    MikeAM91MikeAM91 Posts: 165 Member
    HolyGourd wrote: »

Well, I think it would make the game much more real to have cars and garages instead of sims vanishing into thin air. Plus, its a great way for them to make the loading screens less intrusive. The devs should turn the loading screens into an animation of your sims driving their car/bike/skateboard etc. and add some sort of driving mini game!
  • Options
    > @kremesch73 said:
    > HolyGourd wrote: »
    >
    > What's the point of having cars in game if you instantly teleport to any location you travel to?
    >
    > I guess they could just be decoration, but there doesen't seem like much point to me
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > For the same reason they were in S1 and 2? It added realism to the homes we wanted to create and made it feel more like a simulation than an empty lot. I could ask the same about S3. What was the point of having them if they can fit in your pocket? Seems like a silly question, but it's not.
    >
    > It's all for the reason of re-creating, as in 'sim'-ulating semi-realism. As a builder, it's very important to me.

I guess that's a good point. I never played sims 1 or 2 so I never saw decorative vehicles
  • Options
    > @MikeAM91 said:
    > HolyGourd wrote: »
    >
    > What's the point of having cars in game if you instantly teleport to any location you travel to?
    >
    > I guess they could just be decoration, but there doesen't seem like much point to me
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Well, I think it would make the game much more real to have cars and garages instead of sims vanishing into thin air. Plus, its a great way for them to make the loading screens less intrusive. The devs should turn the loading screens into an animation of your sims driving their car/bike/skateboard etc. and add some sort of driving mini game!

Loading screen mini-games are always the best.
  • Options
    TS_DivaTS_Diva Posts: 477 Member
    TS2 wasn't just decorative. You just didn't see them drive all the way to the destination. They drove off for 50 feet or so and vanished, then reappeared at the destination. Or was that TS1? Anyway, TS3 you drove everywhere (unless you took the subway or taxi), and saw everything except the subway in transit.
  • Options
    TeresitaTeresita Posts: 630 Member
    edited June 2015
    It's just a waste of lot space. I mean all the lots in this game are way too small already.
    And why do you need those other than making a whole room as decor?
    Your sims will just vanish, isn't that enough?
  • Options
    agent_bevagent_bev Posts: 1,313 Member
    It would be nice if you could highlight a room and change the foundation height...my garage is lower than the rest of the house, you just have to take 3 steps to get inside the house from the garage, I imagine it would be the same thing here if you had a foundation.