Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Editing & Modeling Tutorials ~

Comments

• AmazingamphyAmazingamphy Posts: 1,733 Member
    Also, is everyone choosing Gimp because they can't locate a PS version they want or what? :O

I chose Gimp because it's free.
    HmypxT0.png
    Gone from this place and never coming back. P5 is good
    Preferred name: Amphy

What editing program do you think you will use?: GIMP

Preferred model’s name: Dana Rosswell

Headshot:
    6c3e4045-e704-4e71-89b8-e3415fcb411f_zpsn7trlvdt.png

Bodyshot:
    06-28-15_1-12nbspPM-2_zpsdwersea9.png
    HmypxT0.png
    Mock Assignment
    editmock3_zpsaqbq3fiu.jpg

How I Did It:
    I started with the in game picture, removed the background with @Rivers tutorial, and used the same tutorial to add another background in.
    HmypxT0.png
  • PeaceSign101PeaceSign101 Posts: 1,413 Member
    Also, is everyone choosing Gimp because they can't locate a PS version they want or what? :O

I'm using Gimp right now, but there's a possibility that in a couple weeks I'll get Photoshop :D
    dmlX3n8.jpg

• MizoreYukiiMizoreYukii Posts: 6,566 Member
    edited June 2015
    The reason I asked was because I noticed everyone was defaulting to Gimp. xD Photoshop has CS2 free though (from the actual company), and I linked it on the front page. I have some links to other downloads if people want newer versions but still refuse to pay. :O Also, Adobe has Photoshop and Lightroom available for "Photographers" for only $10 per month, which is what I'm paying. ^_^ Anyways, it's not a problem, just wondering if I should even bother writing a PS tutorial for everything. xD Seems kind of wasteful and very time consuming if no one uses them, and I've only had two people say Photoshop. :sweat_smile:

Also, letting you guys know that I will be traveling sometimeee this week (if the adults ever decide to tell us, so probably even today!) but I'll be checking in when I can. ^_^ I have two assignments to do before then though (and finish my new signatures), so I might be absent a lot today as well. xD

@BabyCarrotz Ah, I'm sorry. xD I'll be using pictures in my tutorials, so don't worry. Lol

@Amazingamphy Yay! Thank you!
    @PeaceSign101 And good! Come to the darkside! Mwahahaah! >:3 No, but seriously, I'm happy for you! Photoshop is amazing :sunglasses:
  • ayedenayeden Posts: 73 Member
    I am also using photoshop. For the application and mock assignment I am using CS2. I also have photoshop elements and I think one or two others similar to elements that can be installed.
    I haven't used GIMP in probably close to 10 years (now I feel old :( ) and I don't remember which version of photoshop I was using along side it, but I liked photoshop much more. At the time it just felt more fleshed out and finished. It also didn't help that at the time most guides were for photoshop with very few easily followed when using GIMP.

I do remember some things were easier to do in GIMP so kept it around to do those things.

I don't know how much as changed since then, but there is no harm in learning a second program. Once the tutorials start going up, I may give GIMP another shot.
  • youcrAzy13youcrAzy13 Posts: 213 Member
    Well if you dont want to use photoshop you dont have to. It seems im the only one using it?(CS5) I have gimp too so it doesnt matter i guess :/ mock should be up at least wednesday.. sorry for the wait I have been experimenting a bit you can say :(
    Always and forever, Alyssa Edwards
    bibbby%20b.gif
    @ayeden Gimp sometimes makes things more obvious, while Photoshop has so many buttons and options available in front of you it can be overwhelming, but it's definitely easier for some things. Once you get into the complicated effects though, Photoshop is the easiest one to use. It takes a lot more work to achieve the same effects in Gimp (if you even can achieve the same effects).

@youcrAzy13 Noooooo! I love PS. I was just hoping more people would choose PS instead of Gimp. xD I'm still writing the tutorials, and Eli will also be helping when she can (especially since she also has CS5), so it's all good. And you're not the only one, I have about....3? 3 or so using Photoshop. :O I'm sure everyone will switch to PS eventually. :sunglasses:

Also, I started keeping track of who uses what on the front page. All of you either have a G or P next to your name. Mainly for my short term memory so I don't forget. :P
  • PurpleKenzie19PurpleKenzie19 Posts: 79 Member
    I know it sounds pretty dumb, but how do you get rid of the white outlines? I can get her perfectly into a photo and that stupid outline is there. Is there a mod that turns off glows on sims, because that would be so cool!
    large-4.gif
    @PurpleKenzie19 The lines from the background, or the glow on the skin from CAS?
    For the skin glow, you have to draw over the skin with a matching skin color, then blur or smudge to even the colors.

If we're talking about the pesky outline from the background, you're going to have to use the Paths Tool or the Free Select Tool. I'm fiddling with Gimp right now and I am so glad I left it behind. xD Gimp is giving me an outline on my sim regardless of the settings.
    However, a quick trick that will also be in the tutorial: Adjust your threshold to the highest it can go without over selecting too much but still gives an outline of your sim, then use the eraser brush to remove the background rather than deleting. And set the brush to the solid black one, not the default fuzzy brush. This will remove most of the extra lines. Everything else will have to be corrected by hand or require multiple click and erase. We'll go over all of this in the tutorials. :P My mentor, Maggie, from the Sims 3 forums taught me that when I was first starting. Erasing is much better than deleting since you can get rid of the lines and not worry about deleting your sim.
  • GemmabubblesGemmabubbles Posts: 1,737 Member
    @Amazingamphy Your not a teen yet? :0 I mean I can't judge when I started on the ts3 forums I was like 10 ahah

@MizoreYukii I might say ts4 has slightly better casual game play then ts4 although I have played next to none yet so I can't really make the call but as far as modeling goes it is SO much worse! I really hope someone can make a pose player soon!! omg

Also I use Gimp because that's the editing program I started off with because it was free and I really cbb making the switch :#:#

Sims 4 Vampire CC showcase!
    nO4zXfe.png?3
    Preferred name: Gemma
    What editing program do you think you will use?: Gimp
    Preferred model’s name: Jana K

Headshot:

19263212021_5d29a41bf4_o.png

Bodyshot:

19253427682_d0c6d54809_o.png

I redid both my shots because my models nose was annoying me so much and I knew it would bug me for the rest of the competition if I didn't change it- Hope you don't mind :)
    nO4zXfe.png?3
    @Gemmabubbles Casual gameplay as in? I feel like it's lacking a bit, but that might change as the game gets more expansion packs. The one thing I can't stand though is the closed world. I never leave my lot when I have a family, because I can't control them! I feel like I'm wasting time when I leave them behind just to explore. xD And yes! I hope someone makes a poseplayer soon. This is a form of torture. xD
    And no, it's fine!
  • MinstrelMinstrel Posts: 126 Member
    I am really tempted to join this. I've just got photoshop. Maybe this is a stupid question, but will the tutorials your do cover photoshop CS6? I don't know if it's a newer or older one, and I don't know if PS changes much between versions?
    @Minstrel Joiiiiin us! :mrgreen: That's actually a good question! From what I've seen, PS doesn't change much. The only thing that seems to be different is the color of the program, some items maaay have been moved or renamed, and newer versions have new items, but otherwise the program seems to remain the same. Eli has CS5, so when she reads my tutorials she'll be able to mention if anything I have isn't available for anyone else. I'll try to do some research beforehand as well for the different programs.

But just so everyone knows, my PS is CC, the newest version.
    edited June 2015
    @Minstrel Joiiiiin us! :mrgreen: That's actually a good question! From what I've seen, PS doesn't change much. The only thing that seems to be different is the color of the program, some items maaay have been moved or renamed, and newer versions have new items, but otherwise the program seems to remain the same. Eli has CS5, so when she reads my tutorials she'll be able to mention if anything I have isn't available for anyone else. I'll try to do some research beforehand as well for the different programs.

But just so everyone knows, my PS is CC, the newest version.

Ok, I'll give in to temptation;) I'm sure nothing will have changed that much between versions.

Alrighty, I guess I'll go get some shots of Octavia Circe.
    Post edited by Minstrel on
    edited June 2015
    Preferred Name:
    Minstrel
    Editing Programme:
    Photoshop
    Preferred model’s name:
    Circe
    Headshot:
    viKtCHz.png
    Bodyshot:
    F1pWGhO.png?1

(Also, I swear that dress is blue. It's under the 'blue' option for the dress... see the small bit of blue near the top? In all honesty I was sturggling to find a blue dress that I liked. I hope this is alright. Also, also, sorry if the images are too big. I wasn't sure how to make them smaller. And you may have noticed that I didn't use Octavia like I said I would... oops.)
    Post edited by Minstrel on
  • Ashley SimsAshley Sims Posts: 217 Member
    edited June 2015
    Reserve me please? Sorry it took me so long to ask I wasn't quite sure I wanted to join or not, but I figured why not.
    mnXJJis.png
    Phew. We finally arrived and settled. Sorry if answers are short, no WiFi so phone only D:

@Minstrel for this comp I'll allow it, but for other comps they'll make you redo it, so just remember that

@Ashley Sims sure thing! And it's alright.
    @Minstrel I absolutely adore the sim in your dp! Also your model, she's so pretty :ooo
    nO4zXfe.png?3
    Phew. We finally arrived and settled. Sorry if answers are short, no WiFi so phone only D:

@Minstrel for this comp I'll allow it, but for other comps they'll make you redo it, so just remember that
    I can redo it if you'd like? I was short on time yesterday and when I downloaded the dress it said it came in 'blue' but I didn't realise that meant such a small amount.

@Minstrel I absolutely adore the sim in your dp! Also your model, she's so pretty :ooo
    Thank you so much! Octavia is the one in my dp, she's my legacy sim. :smile:

Mock

First off I apologise for also doing a beach scene Carrot but I already had the screenshot I was going to use before you posted it and I din't see much use in changing it. I really hope you don't mind!! D:

19290565525_b05c0869aa_c.jpg

What I did~~

1. Removed sim from background with that magic tool thang (there were no white lines and it was amazing)
    2. Added in a a beach background (I used one from gta IV idk why)
    3. Duplicated layer and used colourize tool to make orangey colour and reduced percentage so she had an orangey tint to suit bg
    4. Went a lil crazy and duplicated layer again and turned it black and played around with blur, rotation and opacity until I had something that resembled a shadow
    nO4zXfe.png?3
  • BabyCarrotzBabyCarrotz Posts: 950 Member

First off I apologise for also doing a beach scene Carrot but I already had the screenshot I was going to use before you posted it and I din't see much use in changing it. I really hope you don't mind!! D:

Haha it's okay, I don't mind! xD Also I like your model's skintone, it looks gorgeous on her :)

PEEt1Hh.gif?1