Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Editing & Modeling Tutorials ~

Comments

• EliavahEliavah Posts: 2,270 Member
    Ohoho such name dropping here. I feel so honored. <3
    @BobSkellington ; If you join I can always help you out /nudge /wink
    (this is my way of bribing is it working, I hope it is)
    @PeaceSign101 ; Mizzie is right, people who create custom content hair usually really just do the mesh. I remember reading some tutorial somewhere that some custom content hair texture is actually just a gradient stylized with photoshop filter to look like hair ^^.
    What I do is good old hair drawing c:. However hair drawing is a biiit difficult without basic understanding of general lighting and shadows. Before I even touched hair drawing I honestly did skin shading, and worked with shadows and lighting. Back then I would just use regular hairs and just add a few strands in, or stuff. Or use hair strand brushes/hair brushes (hair brushes are basically literally whole hairs to plop on, have to texture yourself though) :3 Just a bit of advice. I don't want anyone to get lost because of me ._.

Now come to us my precioussssses
    \o/
    My_precious_gollum_lord_or_the_rings_oh_yes_mine_all_mine_go_away.gif

I hope I'm not scaring people away . . .^^;

• MizoreYukiiMizoreYukii Posts: 6,566 Member
    Eliavah wrote: »
    Ohoho such name dropping here. I feel so honored. <3
    @BobSkellington ; If you join I can always help you out /nudge /wink
    (this is my way of bribing is it working, I hope it is)
    @PeaceSign101 ; Mizzie is right, people who create custom content hair usually really just do the mesh. I remember reading some tutorial somewhere that some custom content hair texture is actually just a gradient stylized with photoshop filter to look like hair ^^.
    What I do is good old hair drawing c:. However hair drawing is a biiit difficult without basic understanding of general lighting and shadows. Before I even touched hair drawing I honestly did skin shading, and worked with shadows and lighting. Back then I would just use regular hairs and just add a few strands in, or stuff. Or use hair strand brushes/hair brushes (hair brushes are basically literally whole hairs to plop on, have to texture yourself though) :3 Just a bit of advice. I don't want anyone to get lost because of me ._.

Now come to us my precioussssses
    \o/
    My_precious_gollum_lord_or_the_rings_oh_yes_mine_all_mine_go_away.gif

I hope I'm not scaring people away . . .^^;

Oh you, bribing people! So bad! :P
    Haven't heard of that method. :O
  • PeaceSign101PeaceSign101 Posts: 1,413 Member
    @MizoreYukii @Eliavah Oh my God. Now I can see why hair drawing is so complicated xD And yeah I did understand that she did hair drawing. It was my insanely weird way of complementing her xD
    dmlX3n8.jpg

edited June 2015
    Preferred name: You could call me Peace or Sabrina. You could call me cookie for all I care xP
    What editing program do you think you will use?: I use Gimp.
    Preferred model’s name: Isabella Heart.

Headshot: WE9BKLJ.png

Bodyshot:X5SgSCL.png

dmlX3n8.jpg

@MizoreYukii Haha yeah. You should consider making an advanced editing modeling competition when were done with this. Then again, this is coming from the person who needed help on cropping out the sky from a picture of a cloud xD
    dmlX3n8.jpg

• PurpleKenzie19PurpleKenzie19 Posts: 79 Member
    edited June 2015
    Actually I second that. @PeaceSign101 If this pans out and I learn a lot, I would be interested in an advanced one.

Edit: I can't type.
    large-4.gif
    edited June 2015
    @PeaceSign101 @PurpleKenzie19 I'm sure we could start one, but everyone needs practice with what I teach for a few months before we start the next one, and even then it may be an intermediate competition. I mean, even I need to continue learning, as I have yet to try fire or water effects, etc. :sweat_smile:
    We're covering quite a bit in this comp, despite what the schedule I posted suggests, so I want to make sure you guys get everything down to memory and try your own methods before an intermediate and/or advanced competition. So, we'll give it a few months, at least 3, and see what happens after that. We don't want anyone rushing ahead of where they should be and getting horribly lost. :3

Edit: Ohhhh! I also forgot that I'll be in college, of course, so writing guides will take longer. I'll write them before future comps and as I'm learning new stuff. The problem for advanced effect guides is Gimp though.....
    Preferred name: You could call me Peace or Sabrina. You could call me cookie for all I care xP
    What editing program do you think you will use?: I use Gimp.
    Preferred model’s name: Isabella Heart.

Headshot: snip

Bodyshot: snip

Ohhh! Just now saw this! She's so precious! And Cookie! I love it! :3 This is your name now, you shall now be Cookie! xD
    Also, I noticed a few errors with the applications, but I'll just write it into the Modeling Guide for future reference, as I know I didn't cover submitting or doing applications very well. No one's in trouble, I'm just saying! xD Plus, this is a practice competition, so we'll just learn from it. :3
    @MizoreYukii Cookie. What a nice ring to it :0 xD
    dmlX3n8.jpg

• BabyCarrotzBabyCarrotz Posts: 950 Member
    This is interesting! I'd like to join but I'm very new to this forum and I can't edit at all haha. I'd like to learn how to do all that :) Also I just downloaded GIMP and I wonder if there is any tutorial on how to use it somewhere? There is no link to the GIMP tutorial on the first page.
    PEEt1Hh.gif?1
  • BabyCarrotzBabyCarrotz Posts: 950 Member
    So this is my submission. I hope didn't do too bad :s

Preferred name:
    Carrot

What editing program do you think you will use?:
    Gimp

Preferred model’s name:
    Hazel Wolfhart
    Headshot:
    91NwRD0.png

Bodyshot:
    LZqnw6G.png
    PEEt1Hh.gif?1
  • BobSkellingtonBobSkellington Posts: 9,206 Member
    @PeaceSign101 Exactly what it means. xD You draw hair by hand on your sim in either Gimp or Photoshop, like what @Eliavah does. It's advanced editing though and very few people do it because it's time consuming and hard to get right. In the end most people just stick with editing a base hair or adding strands of hair rather than doing it from scratch.

@BobSkellington I know sweetie! We won't be covering it in this comp, as I said, but there are a few guides based on Sims hair drawing, and you can also try looking up hair drawing from people who draw characters and animate, because it's basically the same concept. I can try locating some guides for you, if you want, but I won't be able to help any further with it since I haven't tried it yet (but I will be trying it soon). Btw, are you still interested in joining this comp? :O

Yes, I really need to start working on my editing :) I need this.

I shall have my things in later. <3
    Beauty obtains attention, but personality is what captures the heart. ♥
    sox3c8.jpg
    @PeaceSign101 If you don't want to be Cookie, just say so! xD *hands you a cookie*

@BabyCarrotz Your username is so adorable! xD And you did your application just fine! I'm writing a guide on how to use each program for our first week, which is after everyone signs up (that wants to sign up, of course), so expect it to be up after July 4th. This mock is just for me to see what you currently know, so it's okay to not know what you're doing. ^_^

@BobSkellington Yaaaay! Can't wait! <3
    @MizoreYukii I did say I couldn't care less about what you called me xD
    dmlX3n8.jpg

• GemmabubblesGemmabubbles Posts: 1,737 Member
    edited June 2015
    @MizoreYukii Thank you! I think I'll sign up too this because I'm very rusty- never competed in a sims 4 competition before :0

@BobSkellington Ahhhh! Hey I was so happy to see you still here on the forums omgg :D How's it going??!

@PeaceSign101 Your model is so cute holy shet :))
    Sims 4 Vampire CC showcase!
    nO4zXfe.png?3
    @Gemmabubbles Thank you! :3
    dmlX3n8.jpg

@PeaceSign101 If you don't want to be Cookie, just say so! xD *hands you a cookie*

@BabyCarrotz Your username is so adorable! xD And you did your application just fine! I'm writing a guide on how to use each program for our first week, which is after everyone signs up (that wants to sign up, of course), so expect it to be up after July 4th. This mock is just for me to see what you currently know, so it's okay to not know what you're doing. ^_^

@BobSkellington Yaaaay! Can't wait! <3

Awhhh <3 ;$
    @MizoreYukii Thank you! I think I'll sign up too this because I'm very rusty- never competed in a sims 4 competition before :0

@BobSkellington Ahhhh! Hey I was so happy to see you still here on the forums omgg :D How's it going??!

@PeaceSign101 Your model is so cute holy shet :))

Yupp xD You were supposed to win my comp xD You came back so strong, I'm guessing you still have those insane skills? O.O

Any ways, I'm fine, how about you? Where have you been? ;o
    sox3c8.jpg
    edited June 2015
    Mock

k6YfN8o.png
    Here's my mock! She's supposed to be updating her social media page. I know this doesn't look edited, but this was the part where I wanted to focus it on. This is where she's supposed to look fashionable xD
    m9vjlUY.jpg

Edit: Forgot we had to write an explanation xD

First, I took a screenshot of a computer and Isabella sitting in a chair. Then I cut my sim out and made the background transparent. After that, I made it look like Isabella was sitting on the desk. Then, I just took a couple more screenshots and made the website thingie and put it on the computer.
    dmlX3n8.jpg

edited June 2015
    Model Application:
    (I put more info than I should since some people are still new)
    Preferred name: Bobby xD
    (This is where you list what you want to be called. If you just want your username, put it here) Example for when I sign up: Mizzie or Catbug
    What editing program do you think you will use?:Gimp. (Ye, I know). LOL
    (List either Gimp or Photoshop, or if you’re using something else)
    Preferred model’s name: Anything, I have no name that I am able to think of, ATM. XD
    (The model you prefer to use (so use the most) should have their name displayed here.)
    Headshot:
    *Face should fill the image (so get up close. You’re allowed to cut some of the head out to focus on the face)
    *Hair down, makeup should be subtle, natural (or none), or simple (don’t make them look like a clown or be overly colorful or dark)
    *White or contrasting background (if you do the close up right you won’t even see the background)

19197947641_62175704cf_o.png06-27-15_4-14 AM-2 by Gerald Greyvenstein, on Flickr
    Bodyshot:
    *Full body shot (do not cut the feet, head, or other limbs off. The same as any other bodyshot, in other words.) Try to keep poses from being…extreme. So no gymnastic or wide open poses. So a normal model or neutral pose is good. No sitting (why would you do that?)! Keep the camera in a normal angle too. So no side shots or from up above.
    *Wearing a blue dress/suit. May be long or short, but make it stylish. ;) I know S4 has limited colors, but try your best!
    *Hair should be up
    *White or contrasting background (so don’t put them in a red background with red hair, or blue background with blue dress)

19006651130_c9a40ec5bd_o.png06-27-15_4-15 AM by Gerald Greyvenstein, on Flickr
    Post edited by BobSkellington on
    sox3c8.jpg
    edited June 2015
    Preferred name: Gemma
    What editing program do you think you will use?: Gimp
    Preferred model’s name: Jana K

Headshot:

19263212021_5d29a41bf4_o.png

Bodyshot:

19253427682_d0c6d54809_o.png

Post edited by Gemmabubbles on
    nO4zXfe.png?3
    @BobSkellington uh oh I didn't do a no show did I?? If so I'm sorry DX
    I bought a ps4 which is one of the reasons why I haven't been here for so long. I've been broadening my gaming horizons ;) I've really missed the Sims though which is why I'm back haha
    nO4zXfe.png?3
    @BobSkellington uh oh I didn't do a no show did I?? If so I'm sorry DX
    I bought a ps4 which is one of the reasons why I haven't been here for so long. I've been broadening my gaming horizons ;) I've really missed the Sims though which is why I'm back haha

Always <3 Once a Simmer, always a Simmer xD

I wish I could afford a PS4, TBH. But, yasss. I iz broke D: /poor xD
    sox3c8.jpg
    edited June 2015
    @PeaceSign101 Omg, that is super cute! xD

@BobSkellington She's pretty! :3 I love that pose. o-o Edit: I have no idea what to call her, lol. How about Misty?

@Gemmabubbles Ehhhhh, I'd prefer an updo if you don't mind redoing it. And I have no idea why it's a text link! :lol: