Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

So.. The Sims 1 works with Windows 8.1 - but not The Sims 2 ..

s_stutlers_stutler Posts: 380 Member
Not sure where to put this-
But I have been trying to get my Sims 2 to work on my modern PC for a while now. (Ever since the last Sims 3 patch plummed up everything and made my game unplayable) AND the disaster that is TS4 was released. I'm not even ashamed to say I went back to TS1.. crazy I know (even they can dance together) -.-

Anywho I finally found my way into the VM world. My PC tried to boot up TS1- because well it tries to boot everything- and lowl and behold- It worked! I have been playing a family for a while now. (the babies really were the spawn of the devil ) - I thought I was just young and uneducated-bu they really are terrible! ...

So then- it hit me! TS1 works ...on all modern computers AND old computers. BUT TS2 doesn't ? What the actual plum! It's like they all forced us to upgrade to a new computer to play TS3 - knowing they could kill TS2 because our computers wouldn't be able to handle it!

Conspiracy theory? Maybe. LOL.

What does everyone think about this> if you already knew, thats great. I just found out. LOL

Comments

• KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member
    Wha...? I have Windows 8.1 and Sims 2 runs just fine.
    752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif
  • AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    Same here, it works fine on my 8.1.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member
    Me three!
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • s_stutlers_stutler Posts: 380 Member
    :'( My Sims 2 hates me!! It always says "Windows does not know what to do with this app..." Er well- something of that effect. And this app is not compatible with the current operating system you are using... o.O I have tried compatibility mode, run as admin, burn to computer and then load, --I did get it to install with the grumpy loader- but then none of the expansion packs would install ... You are some lucky folks! LOL.
  • masterjamie2masterjamie2 Posts: 30 Member
    I haven't tried with Windows 8.1 (I found no reason to have it, really), but if I had to guess, it might depend on which version of TS2 you're trying to install. If it's the UC build, it's more likely to work than with the 4-CD version. I think it also depends on if it's 32-bit windows or 64-bit..if Windows 8 even has those anymore.
  • s_stutlers_stutler Posts: 380 Member
    Ok. Makes sense. I have the 4 disc version. SO annoying when installing them! LOL. I only have Windows 8.1 because it came with my super rig. I wanted to have something super nice and powerful to play TS4 on .... (yeeeaah...) Look how well that turned out!
  • kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    Add me to the list of people that S1 and 2 runs fine on my Win 8.1. The issue resides with newer hardware; not software.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    Hi :)

If I were you I'd visit EA's Customer Service and ask for the Ultimate Collection- might have to ask a few times with different CS reps. That way it'll work on your system. Tell them your problem and have the code ready... being told no a few times isn't too bad if you can get what you want in the end. :)
  • sydwilgirl23sydwilgirl23 Posts: 671 Member
    I am sorry, but this is a but funny. Sims 1 is a much older game than Sims 2....
  • Jinx23Jinx23 Posts: 436 Member
    @s_stutler What exactly is the problem you are having with the sims 2 running? I had problems too with running the sims 2 because it did not recognize the newer graphics cards so it kept crashing, but I was to find a fix online.