Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

UNDER RENOVATION Challenge 35

Comments

• wynwyn Posts: 901 Member
    kamb1403 wrote: »
    wyn wrote: »
    kamb1403 wrote: »

I only just started building 2 weeks ago, and I tied for 5th, so not bad. :smile:

Thank you for your insight. Silly me thinking people will get discouraged if they are up against established builders. My suggestion has been removed.

I didn't say it so you'd remove your comment, I'm sure people would like that. Just saying that for me being somewhat new to building, it hasn't limited me really. I don't do challenges to "win" anyway. I do it to see what I can come up with and see what other people can make. A lot of times I'll see someone do something that I wasn't even aware was possible so it opens new avenues for creating. *shrug*
    Origin ID: WyntirLily
  • Issabella14Issabella14 Posts: 1,656 Member
    edited June 2015
    Oh, I meant to ask this and I keep forgetting!

I've been making 1 version for my actual gameplay & 1 version for the challenge (less stuff, less expensive). Is is ok if I upload the more expensive ones to the gallery as well? & if I can, what would you like me to tag them as since they're not really 'made' by me and not really a part of the challenge?

@MandysAMess, you may upload anything you wish onto the gallery. I do believe it will show by whom it was created, but never the less the gallery is a free for all creators playground. :)
    Edit: The lot that you are not entering can be tagged under what ever you want. :)
    Post edited by Issabella14 on
    edited June 2015
    gmcrozier wrote: »
    BUDGET:
    Hank was only able to save $35,000, but the bank came through for him, he was able to get a $50,000 loan. (the total cost for this challenge on the uploaded build, lot and renovation may not exceed $85,000.)

I have been looking at some of the builds that have been uploaded and there seems to be some confusion over the budget. According to the brief we have $85,000 for the build INCLUDING the lot price. The lot costs $2,000, so the gallery upload cost can not be more then $83,000, if it is then you are over budget.

@gmcrozier, you are correct, please guys if you are not sure just ask, we may not answer straight away, because of the time zones, but we definately will. :)
    edited June 2015
    Kaile wrote: »

Wow, Hank is very handsome, thanks @Kaile for the visual insite of Hank. :)

This is a great Cathy, @Kaile. Well done :)
    edited June 2015
    Ladies and Gentlemen, please there seem to be some sort of confusion on the total budget allowed once on the gallery. Hank bought the full property, i.e land, house and enough for the renovation. Total cost before uploading to gallery should be not more than $85 000. Once on the gallery the property value will be subtracted, therefore the total value on the gallery may not exceed $83 000.

@mommataurus2
    @GuruFanNo1
    @xovalee
    @MandysAMess
    @Wyn - NB (Only one entry is allowed per Challenge, please choose one and withdraw the other.) I love them both, but it is not fair on the other contestants when it come to judging. :)

Guys all the above mentioned builders are over budget this time round, please edit your entries and replace it with the new link to the gallery. :) Sorry about the misunderstanding, it will be sad not to be able to judge all these wonderful farms that you guys have built. I am very excited for all the entries so far.
    SimSara wrote: »
    I have a question about the challenge, if I replace the windows can they be different sizes than what's already there?

Yes @SimSara, as long as you replace them they can be any size :)
  • mommataurus2mommataurus2 Posts: 1,845 Member
    @Issabella14 Ok mine has been fixed. However there is going to be a new Url because I had to delete the old house. But of course the gallery is acting up and won't tell me what it is yet. Funny, AGAIN my house was under value when I uploaded it but again when I went back in after the upload (cause of your recommendation) the amount jumped. WTH?! I had the instructions for the challenge running in the background as I built and kept rechecking. Just makes no sense. I had this issue with another challenge I was in too. Going to have to stay conscious of that in the future I guess. Sorry and thank you for allowing me to reupload. :)
    momma-new-sig-3.gif

Check out my showcase.Come Check Out My New Sims Blog! https://greetingsfromwindenburg.wordpress.com/

Big shout out to @Cbear13 the amazingly talented and ever wonderful creator of my siggie!

edited June 2015
    @Issabella14 Ok mine has been fixed. However there is going to be a new Url because I had to delete the old house. But of course the gallery is acting up and won't tell me what it is yet. Funny, AGAIN my house was under value when I uploaded it but again when I went back in after the upload (cause of your recommendation) the amount jumped. WTH?! I had the instructions for the challenge running in the background as I built and kept rechecking. Just makes no sense. I had this issue with another challenge I was in too. Going to have to stay conscious of that in the future I guess. Sorry and thank you for allowing me to reupload. :)

No problem @mommataurus2. The Url/link must change for the new uploaded lot. I find the gallery a little frustrating lately with all the glitches and links that don’t work. I really hope EA fixes it soon :)
  • mommataurus2mommataurus2 Posts: 1,845 Member
    @Issabella14 Yes the glitches have seemed to increase since I got Newcrest. Every time I command my sims to do something everyone on the lot stops what they are doing and stands their like robots.
    momma-new-sig-3.gif

Check out my showcase.Come Check Out My New Sims Blog! https://greetingsfromwindenburg.wordpress.com/

Big shout out to @Cbear13 the amazingly talented and ever wonderful creator of my siggie!

• rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,585 Member
    It is nice that you have created Hank, his sister Brandi and Cathy @Kaile :) They are great sims for you to have to play test your home.
    I hope that your build goes well :)
  • PebblycatPebblycat Posts: 861 Member
    edited August 2015
    Under Renovation: Challenge 2
    Origin ID:Pebblycat
    Forum ID: Pebblycat
    Link to gallery:thesims.com/en_GB/gallery/browse?category=all&searchtype=ea_origin_id&sortby=downloads&time=all&searchquery=pebblycat&max=25
    Street name of build: 114 Old Settlement Road
    Cheats used: Moo, showhiddenobjects, unlockentitlement, enlarged objects and Alt
    Total cost of renovation after upload:$82,882
    Would you like to receive any critique? Sure

Farm1_zps0azzwr7w.png
    06-15-15_4-54nbspPM-2_zpsasxbcsev.png
    2daf9ba2-f78e-4d78-9707-f03762a5f5fb_zpsoqbli6j2.png
    Post edited by Pebblycat on
    My Origin ID: Pebblycat
    Visit Pebblycat's Showcase to see what I've created
  • Zita1966zZita1966z Posts: 9,641 Member
    edited June 2015
    6QQcS9M.jpg

Hey hey guys. Some good news and a preview for the coming challenge 3.....There will be no budget! lol We thought it wise to give you all a break of budgeting. More will be posted on this coming Friday/Saturday...fasten your seat belts they are coming and it's not Aliens, hide the children and start packing....lol

We will discuss the issue that came up regarding established builders vs beginners etc and post our feedback on that :/ .

@Issabella14 Thank you my friend 4 answering all the questions,giving me time to catch up on some much needed rest. lol
    114 Old Settlement Road is very nice! @Pebblycat :) The wooden siding and brick textures of the extrrior of the buildings looks very nice, and nice colours that you have used for the exteriors. It is great that you have a fish pond in the front yard. Sims will enjoy fishing there. The stump seats beside the pond are nice for sims to enjoy sitting on in the sunshine, and the flower cart is a nice touch there. It is great that you have an enlarged truck in the build! The lavender and white flowers look nice placed along the front porch. The shoes are homely beside the front door. The gold sun looks very nice on the front roofing of the curved roof building. The gold colour of it looks nice on the red colour of the exterior. Sims will have fun playing horseshoes outdoors, or enjoy sitting around the campfire toasting food and chatting. It looks very nice how you have placed the trees in the build. Very nice dining and living room! The fruit picture on the dining wall is nice for sims to look at whilst enjoying eating their meals at the table and the lamp is a nice there. It looks very nice how you have placed the bookcases either sides of the fireplace in the living room. Sims will enjoy sitting on the sofa and armchair there, warming up in front of the fire. The brown colour scheme of the master bedroom looks very nice.The blossom flowers are nice touches on the bedside tables. The coat stand is a homely touch in the room. Nice sitting corner nook.
    It is a very nice home. :)
    edited June 2015
    My aunt is named patricia and goes by patty so i like it....cant say im fond of jamie-ann though XD

@Kamb1403 I do think your suggestion should be looked at by the creators of this challenge....dont remove it! I agree it may be seen as unfair to some. (I dont care personally) but I do totally understand where your coming from. :)

I do believe that this point does cross many of our supporters minds. It is a very sensitive but important issue. When @Zita1966z and myself discussed the possibility of this thread, we did discuss whether to bring in experienced categories or not. We decided against it for the simple reason is that this is not a building competition but a decor/design competition. Every single person entering this competition works with the exact same building, therefore the canvas is the same for everybody. What is most important to us on this thread is that everyone has a fair chance in decorating/designing as they feel fit. Working with open spaces and getting the creativity juices flowing. We are not here to judge you on your level of skills, i.e beginner, established or expert, so we started this threat for you to have some creative fun and seeing your approach and your view on the empty shell. Your creative level you are currently at is not an issue in this completion. I believe this thread can help anybody and can teach anybody new tricks and styles if they want to learn. There will always be someone with more or less décor experience and styling skill than you, but it is up to you whether you are going to use this in your advantage or not.

Yours Faithfully
    Issabella14 <3:)
  • Zita1966zZita1966z Posts: 9,641 Member
    Thank you @issabella14 I think the focus is on having fun and showcasing every individual's view on the reno. That said, the judges does not consider the level of expertise of any entry, but rather look at what the individual 's view was on the actual reno. Everybody has an equal chance once submitted. None of the judges are the best or ultimate experts at either building or decorating but we bring our experience to the table when judging and look through the same glass - how was the shell changed - At the end of the day nobody on any thread is there to judge anybody or their work - we simply give advise on what we received and have fun decorating together <3

Thank you for all he questions and suggestions. We really take you interest and concerns seriously. Happy simming! <3 and keep those decorations coming! :)
  • EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    edited June 2015
    Under Renovation: Challenge 2
    Origin ID: EmmaVane
    Forum ID: EmmaVane
    Link to gallery: http://www.thesims.com/en_GB/gallery/2A727503133211E583C25B853BDCAA65 http://www.thesims.com/en_GB/gallery/E2C6E798139A11E58BFE0D2985824A1B
    Street name of build: Hank's Farm Hank's Farm V2 (<83k)
    Cheats used: Unlocks, MOO, debug items, testingcheats
    Total cost of renovation after upload: 84,743 84,978
    Would you like to receive any critique? Sure :)

NB: Made some minor cosmetic tweaks to roofs because they were annoying me. The barn roof just needed the eaves shortening to stop the walls poking through. The half gable needed a wiggle and an extra piece to be able to decorate 2nd bedroom without a ugly wall strip. The porch roof didn't intersect very well, so I increased the length of one part and wiggled heights til it fit.

Edit: Screenshots the same except no cockerel on the barn ledge. All other changes out of view and listed on gallery page.

cc081666d9.png
    3e62022a6b.png
    74eca523b7.png
    Post edited by EmmaVane on
    Hank's Farm looks very nice! @EmmaVane :) The colour and texture of the exterior of the buildings looks nice. The enlarged truck looks great in the front yard with the barrels in the back of the truck! The rooster on the upper balcony and the horse in the build look great for the farm! It looks very nice how you have planted the harvestable plants for sims at the front and sides of the lot to enjoy harvesting. The way you have placed the fencing to separate off the areas of the build looks great! Very nice design of the kitchen! The red and brown colour scheme of the room looks very nice! Very nice island bar stool counter! The vegetables are a nice touch on top of the island counter, and the saucepan, utensils, coffee bag and paper towel are nice kitchen touches in the room. It looks very nice how you have placed the kitchen cabinets around the stove hood. The yellow colour scheme of the master bedroom looks very nice! The heart teddy looks cute on the bedside table! Nice armchairs sitting area in the bedroom for sims to enjoy sitting and resting. The type of curtains that you have used in the room looks very nice!
    The home is very nice :)
  • EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    Thanks @rosemow. I love decorating, but I suck at making interesting house shapes, so this is my favourite type of challenge. :) There are some amazing clutter items in the hidden debug catalogue, objects/accessories your sim spawns and uses etc, and most of them are free.
  • WrathofCathWrathofCath Posts: 4,419 Member
    Sorry I didn't get over to this thread yesterday. Sundays are always So Busy!

I would like to start by saying how Amazing each and every one of these entries were. Honestly. The scores were So Very Close with all of them, not just the winners.

Thank you @Zita1966z and @Issabella14 for the privilege of helping with the judging for this cool challenge! :)

Congratulations @Arefa, @gmcrozier, @jafhsdf, @mommataurus2, @wyn and @Nhicks!! :star::star::star:

Another Congratulations to each and every contestant! :star::star::star:

Thank you for the lovely comments on my unofficial entry @Skyfri_Himmel, @Issabella14, @superbibi11 and @wyn. :)

The farmhouse is Gorgeous @Issabella14! Got my mind thinking as soon as I saw the pic of it, lol. :D Hope to have my entry in soon!
  • xovaleexovalee Posts: 273 Member
    I have to agree with wyn. For me it's not about building to win. These challenges helps broaden my building skills and pushes my creativity to the next level. I've learned so much about building since starting these challenges.
  • xovaleexovalee Posts: 273 Member
    @issabella14 About being over budget...The math isn't adding up between the house value and the lot value but when I put hank on the lot and give him $85,000 and place the house I have $87 left. Is that still considered over budget? Could you try and place it as it just so see if maybe I'm doing something wrong?
  • wynwyn Posts: 901 Member
    Ladies and Gentlemen, please there seem to be some sort of confusion on the total budget allowed once on the gallery. Hank bought the full property, i.e land, house and enough for the renovation. Total cost before uploading to gallery should be not more than $85 000. Once on the gallery the property value will be subtracted, therefore the total value on the gallery may not exceed $83 000.

@mommataurus2
    @GuruFanNo1
    @xovalee
    @MandysAMess
    @Wyn - NB (Only one entry is allowed per Challenge, please choose one and withdraw the other.) I love them both, but it is not fair on the other contestants when it come to judging. :)

Guys all the above mentioned builders are over budget this time round, please edit your entries and replace it with the new link to the gallery. :) Sorry about the misunderstanding, it will be sad not to be able to judge all these wonderful farms that you guys have built. I am very excited for all the entries so far.

I could swear I read earlier in the thread that multiple entries would be allowed if we had the time.. As for the over budget, in the first challenge, almost everyone was at just barely under the 50k I believe and that was ok?.. plus I'd have to delete a bunch of stuff, since the stuff I did use was the cheapest so I could have more of it, so I guess just remove my entries. Thanks.
    Origin ID: WyntirLily
    edited June 2015
    xovalee wrote: »
    @issabella14 About being over budget...The math isn't adding up between the house value and the lot value but when I put hank on the lot and give him $85,000 and place the house I have $87 left. Is that still considered over budget? Could you try and place it as it just so see if maybe I'm doing something wrong?

@xovalee, once you play the house the value does change, but once uploaded to the gallery it will be the originally built value. The whole build before uploading to the gallery must not exceed $85 000, once you upload to the gallery your build will always be less lot value, which in this case will be $83 000. :)
    wyn wrote: »

@mommataurus2
    @GuruFanNo1
    @xovalee
    @MandysAMess

I could swear I read earlier in the thread that multiple entries would be allowed if we had the time.. As for the over budget, in the first challenge, almost everyone was at just barely under the 50k I believe and that was ok?.. plus I'd have to delete a bunch of stuff, since the stuff I did use was the cheapest so I could have more of it, so I guess just remove my entries. Thanks.

@wyn, the value has been somewhat misunderstood. We have changed the wording on the budget brief so that it reads more clearly now. You are a very talented builder and I don't want you to withdraw from this challenge due to a technicality. :)