Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Something new to do

cristill13cristill13 Posts: 2,162 Member
I'm going on an unplugged vacation for 1 week. No phones, laptops, etc.....Last weekend was fun though. We went retro with Mario Kart. It's the safest bet for me because I can't even drive a shopping kart. We had Mexican nectar ;) and nachos. Life can get boring so we like to mix things up every once in a while. Does anybody have fun suggestions? Other than TS3 and TS4.

Comments

• Options
    lovely_bridelovely_bride Posts: 93 Member
    books, roadtrips, photography
  • Options
    Fairy_HappyFairy_Happy Posts: 8,903 Member
    Draw? Write?
  • Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    I also suggest trying sketching. Or studying a foreign language/new skill. Maybe you can even try lifting weights once if you don't already, then see how much your body will ache the day after. :D

The opening song in Tangled also provides a list of things to do when you're trapped in a tower going without electronics.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    @icmnfrsh, Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try the sketching, but weight lifting is not my thing. Swimming fishing and hiking will keep me busy enough during the day. We leave monday so at least I have the weekend to text type etc...
  • Options
    SkyscraperfanSkyscraperfan Posts: 4,287 Member
    cow tipping
    My current Novelcy and general blog:
    https://themostevilfish.wordpress.com/
  • Options
    @Skyscraperfan, If I was going to a ranch I would try that.
  • Options
    jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,861 Member
    Puzzles! And good luck with your unplugged week!
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    Tabletop games! That's my favorite "unplugged" thing. Board games, card games, etc. etc. I'm plum at most of them and sometimes really have no idea what's going on (though apparently my no-ideaness was entertaining during a few rounds of Arkham Horror this winter), but there's nothing like hanging out together around a table with a game and snacks :)
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    GabbyGirlJGabbyGirlJ Posts: 6,858 Member
    edited May 2015
    Origami
    Mad Libs
    Crochet
    Beading/Jewelry Making
    IHJCfa6.jpg
  • Options
    Sue_D_NimSue_D_Nim Posts: 2,553 Member
    edited May 2015
    @luthienrising, I LOVE tabletop games. I prefer the European style ones, the ones that require actual strategy. I'm plum at them too, but that doesn't stop me enjoying them. I can almost never find anybody to play with. It seems odd to me that I know almost nobody in real life who likes board games. Or computer games, for that matter.
  • Options
    @jcp011c2 , Thanks for the good wishes on my unplugged journey.
    @luthienrising, I can handle a good card game and I don't have a problem with the snacking either lol.
    @gabbygirlJ I also like your idea of beading. I'm going to run into my local craft store to look into that.
    @Sue_D_Nim, I'm not sure what type of European style games are out there, but it sounds like fun.
    Thanks to everyone for your input. I'll check in on my return to let everyone know how things went. Counting down to Monday.
  • Options
    @lovely_bride and @friendlyone20, You were the first ones to respond. Sometimes I wright poetry, but I never keep them. Maybe I should get a journal for them. Reading is also something I do on a regular basis, but I usually do so on my kindle. I've picked up a book called Wayward Pines. It's a regular weekly show T.V. now. Nothing like a scary story when you're in the middle of nowhere.
  • Options
    InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    Take a hike. It's what I do when I unplug.
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    @InfraGreen, That's exactly what I'm planning to do. For those who has seen some of my other posts. You would know that I'm not a big tech enthusiast. However I do like my cell phone, my kindle and this forum. I'll miss visiting the forum, but it will give me something to look forward to when I get back. If anyone is planning a vacation or is doing something a little different, I encourage you to post your experiences so others can envision your experiences right along with you.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    @cristill13, they're also called Eurogames or German style board games. Here's a long list to give you and idea of what some of the popular ones are. Click on the name of any game on the list to see a full description of what it's like and how you play it.

Number 57, Settlers of Catan, is the one that got me into this more sophisticated genre of board games. It's not as intimidating as many of the others, so it's easy to get into and will lead you into more complex games.
  • Options
    @Sue_D_Nim , Not able to sleep, but I must hit the pillow soon. I still have a lot to do before I leave. The games sound interesting. I'll pop back in once I get back.
  • Options
    SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    badminton
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • Options
    Fairy_HappyFairy_Happy Posts: 8,903 Member
    Volunteering perhaps?

As a matter of fact, this reminds me. I need to get my booster shot so I can volunteer at the animal shelter near my house. Something fun to do.
  • Options
    anettesbanettesb Posts: 39,168 Member
    board games... is allways fun
    playing cards
    do silly things you used to love as a child
    bake
    🌺 streaming at https://www.twitch.tv/lady_anette 🌻come join the Sylvan legacy, and help control their life. 🌳
  • Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    Volunteering perhaps?

As a matter of fact, this reminds me. I need to get my booster shot so I can volunteer at the animal shelter near my house. Something fun to do.

I like this one.

What about trying a new instrument? I studied a bit of piano years ago, but I stopped because I felt I couldn't put in the time, and I didn't have enough inspiration due to lack of progress when I was with this instructor. I still plan to start sometime in the future.

Music is a good way to keep oneself entertained. :)
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    @icmnfrsh, I like the idea of trying a new instrument too. Everyone can relate to music in one way or another.
  • Options
    @ anettesb, I see that you found your way here. I love to play cards and It's calling for rain on Monday and Tuesday so I'm pretty sure that we'll be pulling out a deck of cards. At least for the first few days. Thanks for stopping by. :)
  • Options
    Did I type up that whole thing and not put in the link? I'm an idiot. Here's the link to the board games list.

The Top 100 Euro Games
  • Options
    Hi everyone! I made it back a day early. Things didn't work out the way that I had planned, but they rarely do. The first two days were wet and cold. Canadian weather, what can you do? Your suggestions were my salvation. It was weird having to turn the pages of a soft cover book. I missed my kindle, this forum etc... On the third day we ventured out into nature. I couldn't get my pug out of the water and he thought that all the fish we caught was his. My Shitzu thought she was a mountain goat and it was impossible to stop her from eating anything that wasn't tied down. I had the best hot dogs ever. We roasted them over an open fire. No fancy street venders there. I was the champion of the bean bag games. Go figure, since I'm the biggest clutz ever. One icy trip into the shallows, two minor scrapes, one hook in the thumb and one small burn. It wasn't so bad. At least I wasn't mauled by a bear. Thinking positive is the best way to go. I got to see the most amazing sunrises and sunsets that I've ever seen. The best thing however is how the family bonded on a whole new level. Nothing is more important than family. I hope this inspires others to try something new. You never know what the outcome may be. I thank everyone who has added suggestions as well as my new friends @DanielLaMont, @Coolsim765, @gnlovew, @ZeeGee966, @anettesb, @Lovely_bride, @friendlyone20, @icmnfrsh, @Skyscraperfan, @jcp011c2 , @luthienrising, @GabbyGirlJ and @simpkin. If you have something new going on, please feel free to share.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    Awesome! So happy to have a great report back :) Hope the blackflies let you alone!
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.