Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Writers' Lounge - For All Games!

Comments

• Options
    Pegasus143Pegasus143 Posts: 2,490 Member
    So another thought...

I was thinking of having a section on my wordpress giving credit to the downloads I use from the Gallery. There are some incredible builders out there and I really want to give credit when I take pictures and add them to my stories. What should this section be called? "Credit to Builders?" I have no clue. I want the credit section to have a picture of the item/building/Sim I used and the creators name. That way, they get credit for their hard work and if someone likes it, they can add it to their game.

Thoughts?

Or, if you wanted to have more than just builds (mods, cc, etc.) you could make it a resources page. I've been considering making this for my blog, but can't seem to find the time.
  • Options
    CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    @Rorygilmore34 Hiya! Did you get the answers to some of your questions? I love your "Meet the Characters" page. The issue with really long pages is something I grapple with. Currently, my Goofy Love TOC and my This Week in Sim Lit pages are sooooo long. I think about making sub-pages, but then I add more clicks for my users. So, while gaining the advantage of having categories, I lose the advantage of fewer clicks. I'm undecided.

To make the sub-pages, by the way, just select a "Parent page" for the sub-page. It will then be a dropdown from the parent. (This is done in the left-side area when you edit the page.)

I really love the way Around Aleaton (one of my favorite TS2 neighborhood rotation blogs) presents the "Meet the Characters."

She divides it by househould, which is a great way to categorize it, if you think you'll end up with lots of characters.

If any of your other questions didn't get answered, please ask again, and I'm sure someone will jump all over it! :)

Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    Wonderful idea for a thread by the way @CathyTea I've seen some very promising new stories posted on here already. I foresee expanding my reading list very soon. :)

Welcome, @Carewren123 --so glad you found your way here! This was @friendsfan367 's idea, by the way--she came up with the idea, I said, "Shall we do it?", she said, "Yes! Do it!" so I did it. :)

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    RoryPlaysTheSimsRoryPlaysTheSims Posts: 5,330 Member
    This is such an AMAZING thread!!! You guys, @aroseinbloom saw that I needed some help. She actually sat down, (even though she's busy) and walked me through, step by step, how to figure out my question. Step by step. Incredible!!! How amazing is this community?!!!

Big, huge, excitable hugs to @aroseinbloom!!

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    edited May 2015
    This is such an AMAZING thread!!! You guys, @aroseinbloom saw that I needed some help. She actually sat down, (even though she's busy) and walked me through, step by step, how to figure out my question. Step by step. Incredible!!! How amazing is this community?!!!

Big, huge, excitable hugs to @aroseinbloom!!

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!

thats why i wanted a thread like this . we can learn from each other.
  • Options
    I was in quite the creative slump for a while as a result. But isn't it great that we have the wonderful community? We're not alone in our losses. That's a comforting thought to me.

I've been thinking about this comment, Carewren. After my dad passed, I stopped writing for several years. At the time, I felt that it was a lack of creative energy. Now, over a decade later, I see that the grieving process is a creative act. When someone who's been a big part of us moves on, we, in essence, need to recreate ourselves--integrating that person into us even more fully--and that is such an act of creation. All of my creative energies were involved in that integration act during those years of grief. I came out of those years a different person, with a view of the world that is different--and my writing and what I have to say is different, too. Sometimes, living is our act of creation.

• Options
    Hi, Writer Loungers! I want to give you a heads-up about an event that's in the very early planning stage. It's called Purple Day, and it's a time when we can remember all our Sims who've met the reaper.

You can learn about here it here: https://cathytea.wordpress.com/purple-day-remembrance-of-sims-past/

You might think it's silly, when so many of us have lost those we love, that we spend time remembering our Sims. The idea was suggested by a young reader of mine whose dad passed in January. Remember when we were kids and through our play, we explored themes that were very much part of our current lives? Doing so brings healing.

Also, it is true, that we miss our Sims who pass on, too.

We're still in the very early planning stages, and I just wanted to let all of you know about this so that you can take part, too! We'll be asking for feedback, looking for ideas, and wanting to include everyone!

This will be a chance for us to celebrate all those amazing Sims we've known, loved, and lost! (and if you're a legacy player, you've got a long list!)

• Options
    i need to eat lunch. hopefully this afternoon i can do a big update .i took pictures all moorning.
  • Options
    Carewren123Carewren123 Posts: 2,658 Member
    CathyTea wrote: »
    I was in quite the creative slump for a while as a result. But isn't it great that we have the wonderful community? We're not alone in our losses. That's a comforting thought to me.

I've been thinking about this comment, Carewren. After my dad passed, I stopped writing for several years. At the time, I felt that it was a lack of creative energy. Now, over a decade later, I see that the grieving process is a creative act. When someone who's been a big part of us moves on, we, in essence, need to recreate ourselves--integrating that person into us even more fully--and that is such an act of creation. All of my creative energies were involved in that integration act during those years of grief. I came out of those years a different person, with a view of the world that is different--and my writing and what I have to say is different, too. Sometimes, living is our act of creation.

I think I was simply too consumed with my grief, thoughts of my grandmother and my mom, aunts, and uncles who are hurting probably more than me, that I couldn't concentrate on anything creatively. I didn't really even want to. I thought that writing about it would help, but when I finished that story I still didn't feel like working on anything else. So I just took a break. Then I was too busy with the move to write. Now that we're getting settle, I feel a lot better. I'm trying to catch up on everything thing. But I'm finally finding myself excited, eagerly anticipating, to begin writing again.

I think I really just needed that extra bit of time before I could work on anything else writing wise.

I also spent a lot of time thinking about the writing that I've done since September, and I almost felt like some of the themes that my stories focused on helped me prepare for this loss. So much of my writing focused on going on with life, enjoying the happy moments while you can, family love. Something definitely guided me in that direction I think.
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:
    Wren's Nest * * * Get a CLUE

Completed Stories: Ana Pringle

My Main Site: Carewren123 Sim Stories
    YouTube Channel: Carewren123 Sims
    Monthly Short Story Challenge Thread: Current Theme: April: Choose your screenshots.
  • Options
    I also spent a lot of time thinking about the writing that I've done since September, and I almost felt like some of the themes that my stories focused on helped me prepare for this loss. So much of my writing focused on going on with life, enjoying the happy moments while you can, family love. Something definitely guided me in that direction I think.

That's so beautiful! That's the best of what writing can bring us in our lives!

• Options
    I'm confused again. aaaaand I'm crying. The problem is I am a visual person. So when people explain things in writing, I just don't get it.
  • Options
    lovesstormslovesstorms Posts: 17,794 Member
    So, I heard my name. Then, I realized I hadn't been keeping up on this thread at all. In fact, I forgot about it. *runs away before getting hit with pillows, bricks, or any other objects nearby*

Anyway, I've caught up now and it's been fun!
    i started a traditional legacy but as cathtea knows already the first time i tried it it didn't go well. so hopefully my founder lives beyond day 1.i did finish but that was with a lot of help and engouragement.

The cool thing about writing legacy stories is that sometimes the massive fails become the most exciting and interesting stories!

Agree! The best part is the fails. They make me laugh and I love including them in my stories. So many favs but I can't say anything. :# No spoilers.
    You know what's so cool about this thread? Since we started it, we can go nuts with as many off-topic posts as we want! Yay! We don't have to worry about boring others! It's a lounge, right? So if our conversation is boring to others, they can listen to the music instead of listening to us! :)

This^^
    During conversations I have with others, I get so many ideas and even inspired to write. This is a fantastic spot to do this. It felt like a little coffee house while I read through. That's why I <3 it so much!
    aggggggggggggggg i'm trying to post the house picture but wordpress but it keeps saying its not allowed.

Do you have the house picture uploaded in with your media?

i'm hungry . so i don't know.

I'm sure you probably didn't mean this to be funny, maybe. However, my easily amused side found it downright hilarious. Like just so random. The dog from Up (the movie) and the squirrel. :p

Also, my condolences also for all who have lost a loved one. It's a tough time. :( I know if someone I loved died, I'd probably stop writing my stories for awhile as well.

You'll be seeing a lot more of me. So, beware. ;)

Just kidding, I'm not scary, I promise. I am a little strange, though. Especially right now. smiley_emoticons_charly_rofl.gif
    Origin ID: lovesstorms
    Seeking a Cure for PSC
    From Lifehack.org
    - 20 Things About Highly Creative People
    Simblr
    Lovesstorms's Stories
  • Options
    I'm confused again. aaaaand I'm crying. The problem is I am a visual person. So when people explain things in writing, I just don't get it.

I wish I could help. But when I started my blog, I spent about five minutes on WordPress then decided to give Weebly a shot. It was so much easier for me to understand, but I hate that I'm missing out on the social networking part of WordPress sometimes.
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:

Monthly Short Story Challenge Thread: Current Theme: April: Choose your screenshots.
  • Options
    It's like I feel like I make progress then my stupid short term memory kicks in (a real thing with me). I have to write everything down. I figued out how to do something then I forgot.
  • Options
    Pegasus143Pegasus143 Posts: 2,490 Member
    Hi, Writer Loungers! I want to give you a heads-up about an event that's in the very early planning stage. It's called Purple Day, and it's a time when we can remember all our Sims who've met the reaper.

You can learn about here it here: https://cathytea.wordpress.com/purple-day-remembrance-of-sims-past/

You might think it's silly, when so many of us have lost those we love, that we spend time remembering our Sims. The idea was suggested by a young reader of mine whose dad passed in January. Remember when we were kids and through our play, we explored themes that were very much part of our current lives? Doing so brings healing.

Also, it is true, that we miss our Sims who pass on, too.

We're still in the very early planning stages, and I just wanted to let all of you know about this so that you can take part, too! We'll be asking for feedback, looking for ideas, and wanting to include everyone!

This will be a chance for us to celebrate all those amazing Sims we've known, loved, and lost! (and if you're a legacy player, you've got a long list!)

This sounds awesome- I should have some more dead sims in my story by the time December rolls around, and I was wanting to to do a sort of scrapbook/journal thing when that happened. I'll be looking forward to more details!
  • Options
    It's like I feel like I make progress then my stupid short term memory kicks in (a real thing with me). I have to write everything down. I figued out how to do something then I forgot.

I can at least give you some words of comfort. It might be stressful setting up the blog (I remember the day I did mine). It was so time consuming, and I though if this doesn't get easier fast then I'll just forget the whole thing. But I promise once you get the basics all set up like you want it, the journey will be mostly smooth sailing from here.
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:

• Options
    VanityHighVanityHigh Posts: 1,300 Member
    Evening (or afternoon/morning depending on where you are in the world) y'all. I've got some catching up to do in here. Hope we're all well and our wordpress woes are starting to feel less woeful and more wonderful :heart:
  • Options
    @Carewren123 I come from the olden days of HTML so this wordpress thing is hell. It's awful to wrap my head around. I just need a human, here, in person to help me. And then I can write it all down.
  • Options
    lovesstormslovesstorms Posts: 17,794 Member

Totally me. Inspiration from you! I may start my own little notebook for WP shortcuts and memory lapses. ;)
    Origin ID: lovesstorms
    Seeking a Cure for PSC
    From Lifehack.org
    - 20 Things About Highly Creative People
    Simblr
    Lovesstorms's Stories
  • Options

don't get discouraged keep trying yesterday i spent 5 hours trying to figure out how to post pictures when i finally got it it was the wrong one but i did it. i'm still learning too.
  • Options
    aroseinbloomaroseinbloom Posts: 3,456 Member

I'll be home just a bit after 6pm and can hop on my personal computer to help you!!
  • Options
    @Carewren123 I come from the olden days of HTML so this wordpress thing is hell. It's awful to wrap my head around. I just need a human, here, in person to help me. And then I can write it all down.

I'm an HTMLer also--If you want to ask a specific question, I'll be happy to give it a shot. What's one thing you're trying to do that's seeming like it's not working the way you want it to?

• Options
    @CathyTea Well, smashing all of the buttons proved instrumental. I went to the, "Meet the Characters" page, found the edit botton at the bottom, and added the post there.

But now this spurs a new question...

Every time I want to add a new character, do I have to go to this edit spot again? It would be just one HUGE post if I keep adding more characters.

you figured out meet the charaters thats more than i got. see you are learning. just be patient. you will get it.
  • Options
    @Cathytea I'm afraid the lingo I use may be confusing as it doesn't match the lingo of wordpress. I think I may have to wait for @aroseinbloom to get home. It's ok. :) She's helping me set it up to be user friendly.

I also need to figure out how to add new posts and be able to add them to the correct pages on the screen. It should be easy like:

I write another chapter. I want to add it to, "the story so far" section. There should be a checkbox that I can check saying where I want it to go.

Doesn't help that wordpress lingo is off.

To me a "post" is something you write on a page on your blog. Wordpress believes "page" and "post" are something different entirely.
  • Options
    @friendsfan367 all the progress has been because @aroseinbloom is an abdolute angel and is helping me.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top