Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Writers' Lounge - For All Games!

Comments

• Options
    friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    CathyTea wrote: »
    Oh, I fell off the birthday wagon again and missed the birthdays of some of my favorite people, Simmers, and writers, like @SimTresa and @AdamsEve1231 ! Hope you had lovely birthdays and are still enjoying good birthday feelings !

I'll be by with belated cards later!

Happy post birthday !

Thank you, ...and it's okay. @CathyTea. I had a nice day.

it was kind of my fault too. i know at least some of the months like yours so i usually check the list and pm her.
  • Options
    SoulGal7SoulGal7 Posts: 3,630 Member
    edited December 2018
    @AdamsEve1231 & @SimTresa Happy Birthday! I hope you had a great day!
  • Options
    ShadamiShadami Posts: 4,353 Member
    SimTresa wrote: »
    Shadami wrote: »
    I have a question for everyone... Or I guess a series of questions really.
    First one being: how exactly do restaurants work? Can you buy it as just an empty lot and than build it up from there? Or do you have to have it built and than purchase it from there?
    The secondary part of the question is: When writing a story that is attempting to follow the rules of a challenge, should I fudge the rules slightly for the sake of the story? I want to have the heir run a restaurant, and it is the main focus of the story plan, but the family is still incredibly poor.

It would be best to first build the restaurant and then buy it. I think there are certain things you need to have on the lot in order for it to count as a restaurant, like the cooking unit thing, tables and chairs for customers, etc. I think you can fudge the rules slightly for the story...I think we all do every now and then! Unless you are very strict when it comes to following the rules of challenges.
    First one being: how exactly do restaurants work? Can you buy it as just an empty lot and than build it up from there? Or do you have to have it built and than purchase it from there?
    The secondary part of the question is: When writing a story that is attempting to follow the rules of a challenge, should I fudge the rules slightly for the sake of the story? I want to have the heir run a restaurant, and it is the main focus of the story plan, but the family is still incredibly poor.

You can buy an empty lot as a restaurant, but as @divanthesimmer said, there are a few items that you need to make it a restaurant. A Chef Station, a Host Station, a Waiter Station and I believe at least 2 tables with 4/8 seats and a toilet?

The good news is, you can start it up almost like a food truck, and build from there.

I've been trying to follow the rules strictly as It was the first challenge I was ever really attempting. So I was curious what others takes were on it. I hadn't thought of a food truck! That might work to start everything out. Both of these suggestions help a ton! I think I have a better idea how I'm going to move the story forward at least. :]

One thing I did when I wanted a family who didn't have much money to own a store was to have them buy the lot, then put the family in the Other Households list and enter the lot from build mode to build the store. That way, the family got to keep allt heir money. I don't know if that would count as a money cheat though.

So... not as a restaurant but an actual home while you're building it? xD Sorry, confused :3
  • Options

It would be best to first build the restaurant and then buy it. I think there are certain things you need to have on the lot in order for it to count as a restaurant, like the cooking unit thing, tables and chairs for customers, etc. I think you can fudge the rules slightly for the story...I think we all do every now and then! Unless you are very strict when it comes to following the rules of challenges.

You can buy an empty lot as a restaurant, but as @divanthesimmer said, there are a few items that you need to make it a restaurant. A Chef Station, a Host Station, a Waiter Station and I believe at least 2 tables with 4/8 seats and a toilet?

The good news is, you can start it up almost like a food truck, and build from there.

I've been trying to follow the rules strictly as It was the first challenge I was ever really attempting. So I was curious what others takes were on it. I hadn't thought of a food truck! That might work to start everything out. Both of these suggestions help a ton! I think I have a better idea how I'm going to move the story forward at least. :]

One thing I did when I wanted a family who didn't have much money to own a store was to have them buy the lot, then put the family in the Other Households list and enter the lot from build mode to build the store. That way, the family got to keep allt heir money. I don't know if that would count as a money cheat though.

So... not as a restaurant but an actual home while you're building it? xD Sorry, confused :3

in mange world theres a tab that says other households. meaning the ones that are in game. theres also a my households tab for the currently played sims.

hope that helps cathtea is better at explaning things.
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,753 Member
    edited December 2018
    @CathyTea There's a scenario I want to ask about (based on real life event): Lets say you're a 6 or 7 year old kid (if Not older) in the 1990s and you get bored to death clothes shopping-so if you have to go clothing at department stores like Sears/Zellers you would have a " hissy fit". So your mom as a method as coping would leave you in the toy department of the store while she was in the clothing department and says to stay there and look at the toys there and when she's done she will be back for you. You don't get bored and your mom doesn't have to deal with a screaming child (or strangers getting mad about the screaming child) and you *might* have been rewarded by beening able to see the little doggies in the mall's pet store. Was this wrong of your mother to do this?
    Post edited by MadameLee on
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    Lots of catching up to do with birthday wishes! Even though I'm late with the birthday regards, I hope you know I'm thinking of you (even if you haven't been here in ages), and wishing you a great year!

@AdamsEve1231 @Julyvee94 @simlady36 @SimTresa @Faoiltearna

faoiltearna.png

tresa.png

simlady19.png

julyvee18.png

adamseve1231.png
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member
    edited December 2018
    Lots of catching up to do with birthday wishes! Even though I'm late with the birthday regards, I hope you know I'm thinking of you (even if you haven't been here in ages), and wishing you a great year!

faoiltearna.png

tresa.png

simlady19.png

julyvee18.png

adamseve1231.png

You rock, @CathyTea. Thank you so much. <3 I just logged on. This made my night!
    With these forums closing down, stay connected.

Find me elsewhere:
    My EA App ID: livinasimminlife
    Livin' A Simmin' Life Stories
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member
    SoulGal7 wrote: »
    @AdamsEve1231 & @SimTresa Happy Birthday! I hope you had a great day!
    Thank you, @SoulGal7.
    With these forums closing down, stay connected.

Find me elsewhere:
    My EA App ID: livinasimminlife
    Livin' A Simmin' Life Stories
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    yeah i found all the junk food my shopping person hid in my cupboard. it was dark in there but i found it.
  • Options

faoiltearna.png

tresa.png

simlady19.png

julyvee18.png

adamseve1231.png

i'll just quote this. happy birthday everyone.
  • Options
    SimTresaSimTresa Posts: 3,226 Member

faoiltearna.png

tresa.png

simlady19.png

julyvee18.png

adamseve1231.png

Thanks, @CathyTea, you're awesome!
    image.png
  • Options
    CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    MadameLee wrote: »
    @CathyTea There's a scenario I want to ask about (based on real life event): Lets say you're a 6 or 7 year old kid (if Not older) in the 1990s and you get bored to death clothes shopping-so if you have to go clothing at department stores like Sears/Zellers you would have a " hissy fit". So your mom as a method as coping would leave you in the toy department of the store while she was in the clothing department and says to stay there and look at the toys there and when she's done she will be back for you. You don't get bored and your mom doesn't have to deal with a screaming child (or strangers getting mad about the screaming child) and you *might* have been rewarded by beening able to see the little doggies in the mall's pet store. Was this wrong of your mother to do this?

Hey... were you following me around San Francisco when I was a little kid? I swear, my mom would do this all the time, and I never thought it was wrong! I loved it!

Of course, that was in the 1960s--much different ideas about leaving kids alone, back then. I was typically "parked" some place (an actual park, under a fir tree in the mountains, in toy stores, or at museums) while my mom and dad did errands or things I would find boring.

It was pretty cool!

In the 90s, I think it would have been just fine for a mom to leave a kid for a while in the toy department, especially if the child behaved and if the mom wasn't gone longer than, maybe 30-45 minutes.

Nowadays? I'm not sure... there seems to be this idea now that kids should always have an adult around. At the very least, kids should be taught about stranger-danger, and there should be a responsible adult around who is identified, so the child can go to that person if there's any concern or danger.

But I sure don't think it was wrong of the mom in the 1990s.
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options

in mange world theres a tab that says other households. meaning the ones that are in game. theres also a my households tab for the currently played sims.

hope that helps cathtea is better at explaning things.

OH! I just re read it with your response and now I get it xD derp. I didn't know that if they were in other households you could build for free.
  • Options
    edited December 2018

Hey... were you following me around San Francisco when I was a little kid? I swear, my mom would do this all the time, and I never thought it was wrong! I loved it!

Of course, that was in the 1960s--much different ideas about leaving kids alone, back then. I was typically "parked" some place (an actual park, under a fir tree in the mountains, in toy stores, or at museums) while my mom and dad did errands or things I would find boring.

It was pretty cool!

In the 90s, I think it would have been just fine for a mom to leave a kid for a while in the toy department, especially if the child behaved and if the mom wasn't gone longer than, maybe 30-45 minutes.

Nowadays? I'm not sure... there seems to be this idea now that kids should always have an adult around. At the very least, kids should be taught about stranger-danger, and there should be a responsible adult around who is identified, so the child can go to that person if there's any concern or danger.

But I sure don't think it was wrong of the mom in the 1990s.

I think more or less the ideas of rhe 60s were still around in the 90s because the scenario is what I remember Mom doing with me as well. It was only after the 2000s stuff changed for kids (despite crime going down). Its not like either in the 90s or 60s that the Mom left the store for another store -for me at least she was in the same store just in a different department. Mind you back in 2000 mom left me alone in a hotel room (we're in NYC) for a couple of mins/hours so she could go get me the 4th Harry Potter book with instructions not to open the door until she got back from nearby bookstore.

and back when I was really young the local grocery store used to have a "candy holder" stand and presubly other kids/adults would mix up the candies guess who tried to fix it? I was left alone there (or after it was gone-I sat on the bench near the then-front doors) and read. It's either I try to 'fix' the candy stand (or later) read while Mom shopped (in the latter case guard the bundy buggy), or I 'ride' on the back of the shopping cart which I know I could get hurt.
    Post edited by MadameLee on
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    I was aging up the fictional children of my RL friends into toddlers and one friend's daughter looks like she could literally star in a horror movie.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    Oh That's terrifying.
  • Options
    @Shadami was that directed at me?
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    here's the picture of the toddler
    xLhOiIZ.png
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    Yup. That's a Chuckie doll
  • Options

and the only time I ever seen a Chuckie doll was in March's Ready Player One movie (watched it on the plane to Ireland)
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    divanthesimmerdivanthesimmer Posts: 1,462 Member
    edited December 2018

and the only time I ever seen a Chuckie doll was in March's Ready Player One movie (watched it on the plane to Ireland)

LOL...I had one as a child and I watched those movies as a toddler (and loved them for some strange reason). That desensitized me and now I can't get scared by anything I watch and I laugh at horror movies. I do get scared when people suddenly appear behind me, though. And that, friends, is why you don't let your children watch age-restricted movies.
    phULnBI.png
    Check out my SimLit blog here: https://ageekylegacy.wordpress.com/
    Follow me on Twitter @divanthesimmer
    Follow me on Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/dashboard/blog/divanthesimmer
    Origin ID: divanthesimmer
  • Options
    @divanthesimmer what do you think of the Chucky offspring?
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    divanthesimmerdivanthesimmer Posts: 1,462 Member
    @divanthesimmer what do you think of the Chucky offspring?

I have to admit...if I ever have children and they look like that, I'll send them to an exorcist.
    phULnBI.png
    Check out my SimLit blog here: https://ageekylegacy.wordpress.com/
    Follow me on Twitter @divanthesimmer
    Follow me on Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/dashboard/blog/divanthesimmer
    Origin ID: divanthesimmer

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top