Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Writers' Lounge - For All Games!

Comments

• Options
    simscognitosimscognito Posts: 16,599 Member
    i'll probably update tomorrow . using cogs excuse been busy.

XD
  • Options
    LegacySims2017LegacySims2017 Posts: 5,226 Member
    edited September 2018
    Ooh, actually, I have a question.

What do you all use to plan out your stories/chapters/etc? Like do you use Scrivener, Excel, Word, a corkboard and note cards, etc?

I just use the WordPress posting area and save as a Draft.

#BuildNewcrest Challenge: Simself Legacy Edition -- I write down notes and scenarios how I would like things to go. But this is The Sims, so you're bound to get some things you weren't or are going to expect. When I take screenshots, I update what I have written so part of it matches the image at least. And also I keep true to the game, so if something unexpected or doesn't go my way happens, I edit as needed.

Jungle Ruin: A Sims 4 ISBI Mini Series -- I go off what my screenshots are since this is an ISBI. I'll write something out about the image and what happened in game. Then I edit into a story-like format.
    Visit LegacySims.net!
    pol-reese.gif
    (Twitter Me: LSims2017)
  • Options
    Shadami wrote: »
    Jesus 600 messages. Hope I didn't miss anything to awesome.thougj I know I've been missing story updates for people. I've lost track of what parts I'm on.

I've been in a rut lately being de.... Sad about my weight gain and sickness. So I've been doing more major cleaning in the house because it makes me feel better. And started up a workout routine with just dance .

As far as my stories go they're still in the trickle of releases right now. I saw this big brother challenge that I've been dying to try but kept holding off. So I finally broke down and started it to appease my need for the randomness of it. Though I've never seen the show. My first season for it is now up. Er well. .. the contestants are.

Even if you don't watch the show I'd love to have some interest for it. My plan is that I can determine who is eliminated with in game points but swing votes from readers can save someone of they get enough votes.

Another random side note: MY AVI GOT FAVORITED BY MAXIS!!! as in Rusty Sprocket on the gallery. xD i'm so happy!! i've never had a maxis favorite before!!

Sorry to hear about you being in a rut, but awesomesauce on being a Maxis favorite!!
    Visit LegacySims.net!
    pol-reese.gif
  • Options
    KarilanKarilan Posts: 2,935 Member

What do you all use to plan out your stories/chapters/etc? Like do you use Scrivener, Excel, Word, a corkboard and note cards, etc?

Hi @lovesstorms ! I have a Create365 journal that I use to plan out my chapter postings. It has lots of room to write daily notes and I like filling it with colorful stickers to keep my motivated. :)
    D2vFwMN.jpg
    My hubby causes chaos in How To Live With Grace - - Pine Point tells Miranda Cole's survival tale - - Criminals build legacies in Glassbolt Prison
  • Options
    DeiraShadeweaverDeiraShadeweaver Posts: 647 Member
    @lovesstorms
    I use Evernote but I don't really plan, I just open it and start writing.
  • Options
    A question to the general public: I have a lot of writing for my new story. I write it while I'm on the road, mostly. It doesn't rely on screenshots and can be read without. I am trying to make screenshots nonetheless, but it's time-consuming and I don't really like setting the scenes up and using poses and whatnot.

Should I still try to include screenshots or just say screw it I don't need any?
  • Options
    rednenemonrednenemon Posts: 3,206 Member
    A question to the general public: I have a lot of writing for my new story. I write it while I'm on the road, mostly. It doesn't rely on screenshots and can be read without. I am trying to make screenshots nonetheless, but it's time-consuming and I don't really like setting the scenes up and using poses and whatnot.

Should I still try to include screenshots or just say screw it I don't need any?

There is nothing wrong with no screenshots :D
    AO3: Silver_Shortage_in_Markarth <(Where I'm usually at nowadays)
    MQ2gUyY.jpg
    Part One(Complete 9/24/16) /Part Two(on hold)/Short Stories(on hold)/Twinbrook 1996(on hold)/Ten Crystal Hearts (on hold)
    I own the TS3 Store as of 12/11/16 (sort of. It's complicated)
  • Options
    ShadamiShadami Posts: 4,353 Member
    Shadami wrote: »
    Jesus 600 messages. Hope I didn't miss anything to awesome.thougj I know I've been missing story updates for people. I've lost track of what parts I'm on.

I've been in a rut lately being de.... Sad about my weight gain and sickness. So I've been doing more major cleaning in the house because it makes me feel better. And started up a workout routine with just dance .

As far as my stories go they're still in the trickle of releases right now. I saw this big brother challenge that I've been dying to try but kept holding off. So I finally broke down and started it to appease my need for the randomness of it. Though I've never seen the show. My first season for it is now up. Er well. .. the contestants are.

Even if you don't watch the show I'd love to have some interest for it. My plan is that I can determine who is eliminated with in game points but swing votes from readers can save someone of they get enough votes.

Another random side note: MY AVI GOT FAVORITED BY MAXIS!!! as in Rusty Sprocket on the gallery. xD i'm so happy!! i've never had a maxis favorite before!!

Sorry to hear about you being in a rut, but awesomesauce on being a Maxis favorite!!

Thank you!!! My alert box was going off like crazy. It was kinda fun xD
  • Options
    kaykeakaykea Posts: 13 New Member
    I think I wanna start doing some type of story thing for my sims as a stress releaser (also more fun than just writing stories). Do you have any tips or anything to help? Like what program to use and how to plan them out... screenshots and videos, etc.?
  • Options
    I'm not sure I understand what you're asking. Sorry xD
  • Options
    lovesstormslovesstorms Posts: 17,794 Member
    edited September 2018

I'd say anything goes. It's your story, but if there are no screenshots, ensure we can see the setting, characters, etc.

I am in that predicament right now. I have a decent chapter with editing to do yet and but need screenshots. However, having to set everything up for a few pictures is a pain. I may try to take closer shots without too much background, which helps in the sense that I don't have to do a lot of posing. Or maybe one or two more in-depth pics where there is a few poses and then a few tighter shots where there isn't as much background, which is less work. I also may not take as many and try to include more details in the writing with facial/gestures/etc to help with less screenshots. That's an option, too.

I discovered a book called "Getting Into Character" by Brandilyn Collins. It's basically a book to help writers get into character using method acting to help make our writing better. It gives 7 secrets to help rethink how we write about a character. So far, I'm enthralled. I always try to step into my character's shoes, but sometimes it doesn't work due to different reasons (never been through the situation myself, don't feel in the moment like when I'm sad, it's hard to be happy, and other various reasons). So, I'm only a few chapters in, but near the beginning, she states various reasons writers struggle with different issues and she named one I am struggling with right now. Then she states which secret will help in that situation.

It's work, though. More work than I necessarily want to do, but if I want a well-rounded character, that's what we have to do. Being my default mode is lazy, this book is helping me see how important it is to really go deeper. Ask questions like "so what?"

Sorry...there I go ranting and raving...lol
    Origin ID: lovesstorms
    Seeking a Cure for PSC
    From Lifehack.org
    - 20 Things About Highly Creative People
    Simblr
    Lovesstorms's Stories
  • Options
    lovesstormslovesstorms Posts: 17,794 Member
    edited September 2018
    kaykea wrote: »
    I think I wanna start doing some type of story thing for my sims as a stress releaser (also more fun than just writing stories). Do you have any tips or anything to help? Like what program to use and how to plan them out... screenshots and videos, etc.?

I kind of asked this question yesterday about how everyone plans their chapters/stories out. You could go back and look at that.

As for the rest, it depends. Are you wanting to share this story with others? If so, you probably want to find a blog you like. Most of us Wordpress while others use Weebly and some use Tumblr. Some use all of them. lol

How do you want to write the story? In advance and then go in-game to get some screenshots? Or play the game, take screenshots as you go, and write a story? So, basically, do you want to do game-based story or more of a writer-based? Or a combo of both?

Personally, I find playing my game and writing about what happens to be the easiest for me. I think I need more of a guide than others might. I have a notebook where I take notes while I play or if an idea comes up while I play, I also write that down. Then, I write it up afterwards.

I'm not sure this helped but keep asking questions. That's the only way to learn. :smiley:
    Origin ID: lovesstorms
    Seeking a Cure for PSC
    From Lifehack.org
    - 20 Things About Highly Creative People
    Simblr
    Lovesstorms's Stories
  • Options
    That book sounds amazing.
  • Options
    friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member

I'd say anything goes. It's your story, but if there are no screenshots, ensure we can see the setting, characters, etc.

I am in that predicament right now. I have a decent chapter with editing to do yet and but need screenshots. However, having to set everything up for a few pictures is a pain. I may try to take closer shots without too much background, which helps in the sense that I don't have to do a lot of posing. Or maybe one or two more in-depth pics where there is a few poses and then a few tighter shots where there isn't as much background, which is less work. I also may not take as many and try to include more details in the writing with facial/gestures/etc to help with less screenshots. That's an option, too.

I discovered a book called "Getting Into Character" by Brandilyn Collins. It's basically a book to help writers get into character using method acting to help make our writing better. It gives 7 secrets to help rethink how we write about a character. So far, I'm enthralled. I always try to step into my character's shoes, but sometimes it doesn't work due to different reasons (never been through the situation myself, don't feel in the moment like when I'm sad, it's hard to be happy, and other various reasons). So, I'm only a few chapters in, but near the beginning, she states various reasons writers struggle with different issues and she named one I am struggling with right now. Then she states which secret will help in that situation.

It's work, though. More work than I necessarily want to do, but if I want a well-rounded character, that's what we have to do. Being my default mode is lazy, this book is helping me see how important it is to really go deeper. Ask questions like "so what?"

Sorry...there I go ranting and raving...lol

sometimes if you paint the picture with the words you don't need screenshots. it also allows the reader to make the screenshot in their mind .
  • Options
    I posted a new chapter for my Gallows Rock story. It has no screenshots but almost 1k words of text. I'm particularly proud of it.
    https://deiraplayssims.wordpress.com/2018/09/25/gallows-rock-7-demon/
  • Options

#BuildNewcrest Challenge: Simself Legacy Edition -- I write down notes and scenarios how I would like things to go. But this is The Sims, so you're bound to get some things you weren't or are going to expect. When I take screenshots, I update what I have written so part of it matches the image at least. And also I keep true to the game, so if something unexpected or doesn't go my way happens, I edit as needed.

Jungle Ruin: A Sims 4 ISBI Mini Series -- I go off what my screenshots are since this is an ISBI. I'll write something out about the image and what happened in game. Then I edit into a story-like format.

i haven't started jungle ruin but i like that you put your build newcrest notes in the chapters . i assume their the notes anyway they aren't the same color as the story.
  • Options

i haven't started jungle ruin but i like that you put your build newcrest notes in the chapters . i assume their the notes anyway they aren't the same color as the story.

Those notes are so readers know more about certain scenarios. :smile:
    Visit LegacySims.net!
    pol-reese.gif
  • Options

Those notes are so readers know more about certain scenarios. :smile:

i do read them. :)
  • Options
    Karilan wrote: »
    Does anyone ever read stuff they wrote a while back and think, I don't remember this at all? I wrote this? What?

Actually yes! @LegacySims2017 started reading Grace and all the notifications inspired me to go back and read the early generations.

There are soooo many plot holes and possibilities I didn’t wrap up, and a few chapters I honestly don’t recall writing lol!

What have you been revisiting?

I've been reading an earlier chapter from my legacy too, it wasn't even that far back. It was the latest gen. Yet the whole thing was unrecognisable. Did I write it while I was falling asleep?? xD

Does anyone ever read stuff they wrote a while back and think, I don't remember this at all? I wrote this? What?

@BlackUndecimber Yeah and I realise how much I've regressed. :joy:

Don't say that! Some of my favourite chapters in Friends of Foes are recent ones :)

pronterus wrote: »

Me when reading the earlier chapters of my current story. :lol:

Also that one time when I found my old writings from my edgelord days in high school and wondered who wrote it, but then I cringed in the end :lol:

:D I'm somewhat glad my old stories are lost in multiple moves across the Pacific Ocean, or I'd be cringing as well. Or burning them in my back yard. Whatever saves my sanity xD
    rednenemon wrote: »

Pretty much all the time.

It's happening to me right now.

I guess it's a fact of life lol...

Bugsie2016 wrote: »
    Hey..

Hiya Bugsie, how are you doing?
    Hey..

Good. Sending Cog tumblr asks....the responses are too great. :lol:

Aw thanks @Bugsie2016 and @BlackUndecimber .

I don't know. I'm my worst critic. :D

Hehe I'm loving the asks too. XD

i still get shocked people read the benders.

What? They do? :o

Hehehe, nah, you know I love them. <3

How can you not love the Benders? They're menaces to you, but they're delightful to us. XD

you take that back they aren't menaces .did i mention i'm protective of them so i'm a lioness and you just picked on my babies.

i feel a little bad cause after this i never saw cog the rest of the night. but yesterday i told cathtea after 2 years the benders are a part of me me. the noisey demanding part.

Honestly, I feel that many SimLit writers have stories that tend to be a part of their lives. I know my #BuildNewcrest is. Been working on it a little over a year. I feel the Legacy is a part of me and me a part of it....even coming upon Gen 3.

Wait what happened @friendsfan367 ? :(

sorry cog i missed this . legacy was right. i was talking about the benders. heres the funny part i talk about them openly almost everyday. but in a setting like bookclub i clam up.
  • Options
    ForgottenPixelsForgottenPixels Posts: 11,376 Member
    Hey!!
  • Options

Actually yes! @LegacySims2017 started reading Grace and all the notifications inspired me to go back and read the early generations.

There are soooo many plot holes and possibilities I didn’t wrap up, and a few chapters I honestly don’t recall writing lol!

I've been reading an earlier chapter from my legacy too, it wasn't even that far back. It was the latest gen. Yet the whole thing was unrecognisable. Did I write it while I was falling asleep?? xD

Don't say that! Some of my favourite chapters in Friends of Foes are recent ones :)

Also that one time when I found my old writings from my edgelord days in high school and wondered who wrote it, but then I cringed in the end :lol:

:D I'm somewhat glad my old stories are lost in multiple moves across the Pacific Ocean, or I'd be cringing as well. Or burning them in my back yard. Whatever saves my sanity xD

Hey..

Hey..

How can you not love the Benders? They're menaces to you, but they're delightful to us. XD

you take that back they aren't menaces .did i mention i'm protective of them so i'm a lioness and you just picked on my babies.

i feel a little bad cause after this i never saw cog the rest of the night. but yesterday i told cathtea after 2 years the benders are a part of me me. the noisey demanding part.

Honestly, I feel that many SimLit writers have stories that tend to be a part of their lives. I know my #BuildNewcrest is. Been working on it a little over a year. I feel the Legacy is a part of me and me a part of it....even coming upon Gen 3.

sorry cog i missed this . legacy was right. i was talking about the benders. heres the funny part i talk about them openly almost everyday. but in a setting like bookclub i clam up.

Awww. I'll try and make your week feel welcoming. :)
  • Options
    edited September 2018

Hey..

Hey..

i don't have a week he he. he he is something i get from jes that pffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffftttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt.
  • Options

Hey..

Hey..

i don't have a week he he. he he is something i get from jes that pffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffftttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt.

You don't? I'm sure someone voted for you. Ohh you were in the previous bookclub weren't you? The one before the one that's just been.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top