Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Writers' Lounge - For All Games!

Comments

• KarilanKarilan Posts: 2,935 Member
    Karilan wrote: »
    Bugsie2016 wrote: »
    Is there any particular style of writing you think you've improved in during 2017?

All of my simlit styles. If you've read my first gen of BL vs gen 3 of BL (or any of the recent WAWRMO chapters), then it's an improvement. I'm proud of how far i've come from those first chapters. :) I'm still not 100% where i'd like to be but there's time for that. :)

I've loved watching your Burton Legacy evolve! Sometimes I really enjoy jumping back to the first chapters just to see how much it's changed.
    I have a question for you guys!

When I changed my signature yesterday I realized how much my writing has been from a male perspective lately, which is something I previously stated was a huge challenge for me. While I still find it difficult, I think I have improved slightly!

Is there any particular style of writing you think you've improved in during 2017?

@Karilan I'd say I improved at writing lore, at least in my opinion. That was one of the main things I wanted to work on when I started with The Family Black. I wanted to try my hand at something that had more history and culture behind it rather than being strictly character driven (though I would say my writing still leans more towards the character driven style overall).

You also started (and restarted) that blog style story that challenged your style too. :)

When I changed my signature yesterday I realized how much my writing has been from a male perspective lately, which is something I previously stated was a huge challenge for me. While I still find it difficult, I think I have improved slightly!

Probably not. I barely wrote last year. This year I plan to work on my descriptive details using the senses.

That sounds like a wonderful goal. I received feedback this year regarding lacking descriptions that I need to work on. I think I tend to ignore descriptions if they show up in the images.
    CathyTea wrote: »

I think, for me, it's plot! Typically, in my writing, plot is just the context for the characters' introspection. However, Septemus, My Son and Lighthouse actually drove me to include plot as an element of the story, thanks to the brilliant ideas of the collaborators!

I also think that with the Pen Pal Project and the Alien Adoption Collab, I've improved at collaborating. Collaborating is tough! It requires knowing where one can be flexible, where one must remain true, developing clear communication, and promoting continuous creative goodwill! These skills are so transferable to other areas of life!

You've done so much collaboration this year! I've loved the lore and mythology you've helped develop in the Alien Adoption universe!

i don't think i improved on anything. this year was crazy so i hardly wrote.

I've seen you post consistent updates here, so I don't believe that you hardly wrote. :) Do you have any writing goals for 2018?

same as always finish the benders. jes hopes i do. she said so on wordpress .

i responded by saying i think when ayden became a elder he looked up reincarnation, because right after that my fame broke.

What generation are you on for the Benders? And how many are you going to do?
    D2vFwMN.jpg
    My hubby causes chaos in How To Live With Grace - - Pine Point tells Miranda Cole's survival tale - - Criminals build legacies in Glassbolt Prison
  • friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member

All of my simlit styles. If you've read my first gen of BL vs gen 3 of BL (or any of the recent WAWRMO chapters), then it's an improvement. I'm proud of how far i've come from those first chapters. :) I'm still not 100% where i'd like to be but there's time for that. :)

I've loved watching your Burton Legacy evolve! Sometimes I really enjoy jumping back to the first chapters just to see how much it's changed.

@Karilan I'd say I improved at writing lore, at least in my opinion. That was one of the main things I wanted to work on when I started with The Family Black. I wanted to try my hand at something that had more history and culture behind it rather than being strictly character driven (though I would say my writing still leans more towards the character driven style overall).

You also started (and restarted) that blog style story that challenged your style too. :)

Probably not. I barely wrote last year. This year I plan to work on my descriptive details using the senses.

That sounds like a wonderful goal. I received feedback this year regarding lacking descriptions that I need to work on. I think I tend to ignore descriptions if they show up in the images.

I think, for me, it's plot! Typically, in my writing, plot is just the context for the characters' introspection. However, Septemus, My Son and Lighthouse actually drove me to include plot as an element of the story, thanks to the brilliant ideas of the collaborators!

I also think that with the Pen Pal Project and the Alien Adoption Collab, I've improved at collaborating. Collaborating is tough! It requires knowing where one can be flexible, where one must remain true, developing clear communication, and promoting continuous creative goodwill! These skills are so transferable to other areas of life!

You've done so much collaboration this year! I've loved the lore and mythology you've helped develop in the Alien Adoption universe!

I've seen you post consistent updates here, so I don't believe that you hardly wrote. :) Do you have any writing goals for 2018?

i responded by saying i think when ayden became a elder he looked up reincarnation, because right after that my fame broke.

1. 25 to go.

it was a crazy year.
  • ForgottenPixelsForgottenPixels Posts: 11,376 Member
    edited January 2018

Thanks. It's been a learning curve. WAWRMO is only great (well in my opinion it is great but i'm biased) thanks to the BL learning curve that happened when I first started. My writing style changes constantly and I try to wait until the end of a certain plot line before I really change anything. It's a constant backwards and forwards with no fixed style. I love it though as it gives me the freedom to switch it up if I get stuck. :) I have first person (present tense), first person (past tense) and third person. All of which i'm comfortable with writing. I've also writing some 2nd person writing for something although it's more of a get my feelings out type of thing rather than an actual post. :)

Writing has become my way of letting everything out in the past few months and it's been great. Actually, WAWRMO started 'cause I was frustrated one day! Best decision I ever made (except getting Bugsie, that was a good decision too). :)
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,750 Member
    I got a POSTCARD from my Cousin who is travelling in Asia!!!
    6adMCGP.gif
  • CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    MadameLee wrote: »
    @CathyTea what do you think I improved in?

i know you didn't aask me but this is my opion.

you improved on your ablity to accept help from others.

in the begining when we were starting out you would only take help if it was from certain people. so thats improvement and growth.

Wow! That's a great insight, and I think it's true, too! :)

if its insiful why did you laugh at me. lol. when i get awsomed 99.9 percent of the time its you.

i'm only teasing like i said i only have a few days left.

I didn't laugh! Awesome means awesome, not LOL! And that's a smile, not a laugh! this is a laugh! :D
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Jes2GJes2G Posts: 13,032 Member
    edited January 2018

I learned how to stick with one POV per chapter and not hop between all the character's heads. And when it is utterly important to hear from someone else in the same chapter, I make it obvious that there is a change.
    forum_final.png

Read Delicious Dishes & Dreams and more Stories By Jes2G!
    Origin ID: Jes2G | Forum Thread | Twitter | Tumblr
  • Jes2GJes2G Posts: 13,032 Member

You practiced the skill of sticking with it during challenging times! If you can manage to write at all during a year like the one you had, that's a significant accomplishment right there! :)

Plus, I think you gained so much in terms of thinking like a writer and a literary critic! :)<3

Agreed :):)
    forum_final.png

Read Delicious Dishes & Dreams and more Stories By Jes2G!
    Origin ID: Jes2G | Forum Thread | Twitter | Tumblr

1. 25 to go.

it was a crazy year.

I'm in the same boat! I'm on gen 3 of 26 for my Grace series. We're in this together for the long haul!

Thanks. It's been a learning curve. WAWRMO is only great (well in my opinion it is great but i'm biased) thanks to the BL learning curve that happened when I first started. My writing style changes constantly and I try to wait until the end of a certain plot line before I really change anything. It's a constant backwards and forwards with no fixed style. I love it though as it gives me the freedom to switch it up if I get stuck. :) I have first person (present tense), first person (past tense) and third person. All of which i'm comfortable with writing. I've also writing some 2nd person writing for something although it's more of a get my feelings out type of thing rather than an actual post. :)

Writing has become my way of letting everything out in the past few months and it's been great. Actually, WAWRMO started 'cause I was frustrated one day! Best decision I ever made (except getting Bugsie, that was a good decision too). :)

That makes absolute sense! I've had an idea for a story for over 10 years, but to be honest I don't want it to be my first written story because I want to develop my style first. So often you hear authors say that their second or third works are their favorite.
    I got a POSTCARD from my Cousin who is travelling in Asia!!!

That's nice! I miss getting letter mail. How long are they in Asia for?
    D2vFwMN.jpg
    My hubby causes chaos in How To Live With Grace - - Pine Point tells Miranda Cole's survival tale - - Criminals build legacies in Glassbolt Prison
  • ForgottenPixelsForgottenPixels Posts: 11,376 Member
    Jes2G wrote: »

I learned how to stick with one POV per chapter and not hop between all the character's heads. And when it is utterly important to hear from someone else in the same chapter, I make it obvious that there is a change.

I love your stories even if they do switch POV. Although, it's probably a good thing to learn. :)
  • StoriedStormStoriedStorm Posts: 3,004 Member

@Karilan To be fair the blog style story isn't really challenging my style as I've done it before. If you count vampnet as it's own story then No Shame is my fourth attempt at a blog style story as I had a couple other blog style stories previously that didn't really get finished for various reasons.
    edited January 2018
    @Karilan they left in middle-late October/early Nov and and have extended it another Month to go to Thailand and I think Vietnam. She been in China, Korea, and the postcard was from Japan!
    6adMCGP.gif
    @CathyTea what do you think I improved in?

i know you didn't aask me but this is my opion.

you improved on your ablity to accept help from others.

in the begining when we were starting out you would only take help if it was from certain people. so thats improvement and growth.

Wow! That's a great insight, and I think it's true, too! :)

if its insiful why did you laugh at me. lol. when i get awsomed 99.9 percent of the time its you.

i'm only teasing like i said i only have a few days left.

I didn't laugh! Awesome means awesome, not LOL! And that's a smile, not a laugh! this is a laugh! :D

you didn't finish reading. i said i only have a few days left to tease you.
    @Karilan they left in middle-late October/early Nov and and have extended it another Month to go to Thailand and I think Vietnam. She been in China, Korea, and the postcard was from Japan!

What a cool trip! I've barely travelled unfortunately, but I hope to visit Japan one day.
    D2vFwMN.jpg

What a cool trip! I've barely travelled unfortunately, but I hope to visit Japan one day.

i can't even go out of state. i can't afford to. adulting eats up most of my money.
  • rednenemonrednenemon Posts: 3,206 Member
    How is everyone today?

Frustrated from my Pokemon Sun game.

Or, as I currently call it, "Stay in the ball, you fat, spiny, dragon, mouth thing."

(referring to this guy)
    AO3: Silver_Shortage_in_Markarth <(Where I'm usually at nowadays)
    MQ2gUyY.jpg
    Part One(Complete 9/24/16) /Part Two(on hold)/Short Stories(on hold)/Twinbrook 1996(on hold)/Ten Crystal Hearts (on hold)
    I own the TS3 Store as of 12/11/16 (sort of. It's complicated)

i can't even go out of state. i can't afford to. adulting eats up most of my money.

I feel ya. :( Single income household right now saving for a wedding.

I'll live vicariously through my Sims instead! I wish they had more than just the woods as a vacation destination.
    D2vFwMN.jpg
    What do people think of my weird structure?

EfiQ7tK.png
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Pegasus143Pegasus143 Posts: 2,490 Member

This is a tough question... I wrote a more comic-y styled story over the summer "authored" by a couple of the kids in ATW, though I feel like my improvements with that more had to do with photo editing and learning about custom fonts than writing.
    I've also noticed that I tend to leave lots of bits and pieces of plot all over the place, then not return to them, but I've got a plan now for how to tie everything altogether, so that'll hopefully be part of my writing improvements through 2018!

I feel ya. :( Single income household right now saving for a wedding.

I'll live vicariously through my Sims instead! I wish they had more than just the woods as a vacation destination.

we might get a new destination according to the teaser.

technically a honeymoon counts as a vacation. :)
  • Pegasus143Pegasus143 Posts: 2,490 Member
    edited January 2018
    This week's chapter of After the Wedding is out! Larissa makes some interesting discoveries while learning more about computers than she ever wanted to know.
    ATW S4.5 Chapter 2: Code
  • Acarb90Acarb90 Posts: 608 Member
    Anyone else dealing with snowmageddon???

I wish i stayed home to write, but i had to be an adult today and go to work :(

THIRTYT(2).png
  • pronteruspronterus Posts: 2,166 Member

My story is action-packed, so I think I've learned how to create better action scenes that involve a whole lot of movement, especially when it involves more than three people.

• BlackUndecimberBlackUndecimber Posts: 1,116 Member

Hiya! I've been greatly enjoying reading your generations story, which I caught up to not so long ago! I love reading from Cam's perspective. His voice is immersive. I think you've done amazingly :)

In answer to your question, I haven't written much in 2017 as I would have liked... If I've improved at anything, it's my digital art. Argh! I hope to change that in 2018 xD
  • ParadoxSimsParadoxSims Posts: 90 Member
    I'm starting up a little Sims 4 drama series on my tumblr page tonight I think. Are we able to post links etc for feedback and for people to just read? :smile:
  • simscognitosimscognito Posts: 16,599 Member
    Hi @ParadoxSims of course you are. Congratulations for starting up a drama series! :) The best place for getting feedback is in the kindness bench for simLit writers, I think. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top