Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

In 2002 Will Wright said:

Comments

• PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    Jarsie9 wrote: »
    Sorry, but I have a hard time accepting the fact that there are people who actually like this game the way it is, and who are willing to spend yet more money on it. It doesn't matter what anyone says, this isn't a true Sims game. It's an overgrown tablet game, nothing more.

But, be that as it may, those of you who wish we negative nellies would just dry up and blow away and leave this forum to you (along with all the other Sims 4 forums), don't worry...you'll get your wish eventually.

People *will* get tired of talking to a stone wall and just get up and walk away. It may not happen right away, but if the state of these forums is anything to go by...that day is not so far off. And then the sound of crickets (with the occasion chirp of a cheerful Sims 4 player who loves this game) will be the only sound/writing that is heard/seen on these forums...just like the SimCity 2013 forums.

Or something a little closer....check the Sims Medieval forum to see just how active it is.

"People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • natashifiednatashified Posts: 3,314 Member
    Hermitgirl wrote: »
    That is your opinion. I think TS4 will be the best installment yet.
    When you bring up a child they don't always turn out like you want, sometimes they turn out better, sometimes worse. Our opinions on this subject just differ. I saw 3 as a terrible game.. that was my take, it wasn't like the first two. I think it has gone back to it's roots in this one.

If in a year it isn't surpassed any of the other games in sales and continueing fanbase, then no it isn't close to the best nor will ever be the best. Let's be a little real here.
  • sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    xBob18 wrote: »
    Astro wrote: »
    According to that video it was a surprised. He worked on what he loved. Just as it seems he is now.
    Its a shame that he had to leave The Sims but maybe he felt that, after TS2, the series was in safe hands as he inspired other developers with the vision which remained into TS3 and only stopped with TS4
    The Sims was a great trilogy...
    And it has been killed. :(

For you.

I really don't understand why so many people can't seem to understand that there are people who like this game. Actually, genuinely like it. I'm so tired of reading these absolutist statements about how the game is plum, it is dead etc. Maybe for you, but not for me.

And some people like to say this forum isn't full of negativity? It so is.

@luthienrising I agree-but it applies to all of the games. I am absolutely sick of seeing 'but TS3 ran badly so TS4 beats it' then arguing with those who have a bad experience themselves with TS4.

I couldn't care less what someone thinks about TS4-I enjoy and embrace difference and it makes zero difference to my opinion of someone-but what I detest is the narrative that if people don't like TS4 that makes them negative. No it really doesn't.

Its all perspective. I think its a good thing for people to try to speak up *for themselves* and communicate what they wish to see in the sims against EA-within the rules of course.

If EA are smart then they will listen to the recurring themes and get on with moulding the games to the vision of those who are crying out to financially support the game as well as those who currently are.

Its not fellow simmers fault that this team seems to have an issue with choices and freedoms in TS4-if the team tweak things and then you don't like it then it is not the fault of some people on a forum. The responsibility lies with the developers. They make the decisions and they create the game. In my opinion all we can do is keep asking them to stop this 'One size fits all' approach because clearly it is not working for anyone-seeing as those who love the game have had patches altering things which annoyed them.

The negativity around here is mostly caused by a lot of intolerance. I'm sorry but it is. It really should make no difference what you feel about TS4 as to how you get along with people. I always respect your posts and enjoy reading and debating with you-why should you enjoying this game make any issue to me personally?! But others seem to enjoy the sides rhetoric and indulge in it often. Presumably because they enjoy the 'drama' which I find completely tiresome.
    According to that video it was a surprised. He worked on what he loved. Just as it seems he is now.
    Its a shame that he had to leave The Sims but maybe he felt that, after TS2, the series was in safe hands as he inspired other developers with the vision which remained into TS3 and only stopped with TS4

For you.

I really don't understand why so many people can't seem to understand that there are people who like this game. Actually, genuinely like it. I'm so tired of reading these absolutist statements about how the game is plum, it is dead etc. Maybe for you, but not for me.

@luthienrising I agree-but it applies to all of the games. I am absolutely sick of seeing 'but TS3 ran badly so TS4 beats it' then arguing with those who have a bad experience themselves with TS4.

I couldn't care less what someone thinks about TS4-I enjoy and embrace difference and it makes zero difference to my opinion of someone-but what I detest is the narrative that if people don't like TS4 that makes them negative. No it really doesn't.

Its all perspective. I think its a good thing for people to try to speak up *for themselves* and communicate what they wish to see in the sims against EA-within the rules of course.

If EA are smart then they will listen to the recurring themes and get on with moulding the games to the vision of those who are crying out to financially support the game as well as those who currently are.

Its not fellow simmers fault that this team seems to have an issue with choices and freedoms in TS4-if the team tweak things and then you don't like it then it is not the fault of some people on a forum. The responsibility lies with the developers. They make the decisions and they create the game. In my opinion all we can do is keep asking them to stop this 'One size fits all' approach because clearly it is not working for anyone-seeing as those who love the game have had patches altering things which annoyed them.

The negativity around here is mostly caused by a lot of intolerance. I'm sorry but it is. It really should make no difference what you feel about TS4 as to how you get along with people. I always respect your posts and enjoy reading and debating with you-why should you enjoying this game make any issue to me personally?! But others seem to enjoy the sides rhetoric and indulge in it often. Presumably because they enjoy the 'drama' which I find completely tiresome.

I agree with your last paragraph so much. It is the intolerance that people can't handle. Just ask the people who like the game feel that they are suppressed. The other way around they are just can't handle the fact that others and a lit of others feel that it is lacking and thre isn't much to fix.
    edited May 2015
    Sorry, but I have a hard time accepting the fact that there are people who actually like this game the way it is, and who are willing to spend yet more money on it. It doesn't matter what anyone says, this isn't a true Sims game. It's an overgrown tablet game, nothing more.

But, be that as it may, those of you who wish we negative nellies would just dry up and blow away and leave this forum to you (along with all the other Sims 4 forums), don't worry...you'll get your wish eventually.

People *will* get tired of talking to a stone wall and just get up and walk away. It may not happen right away, but if the state of these forums is anything to go by...that day is not so far off. And then the sound of crickets (with the occasion chirp of a cheerful Sims 4 player who loves this game) will be the only sound/writing that is heard/seen on these forums...just like the SimCity 2013 forums.

If you can't accept the fact that others like the game, then you are a main part if the issue at hand on the forums. Point blank.
  • CapraCorn104CapraCorn104 Posts: 1,184 Member

How is that so hard to accept? People like different things, it's that simple.
  • LaAbbyLaAbby Posts: 3,742 Member
    I don't see Sims 4 highlighting any part of "The Sims". It brings shame .. TS3 was more advanced and offered more customization, TS2 was about the sims themselves, and TS1 was what started it. TS4 isn't really bringing anything to the franchise.

It'd be nice if Will could at least finish his franchise with TS5 ... I feel something good might come out of it ...

Exactly, some just can't see that everyone is different.
  • GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    "The negativity around here is mostly caused by a lot of intolerance. I'm sorry but it is. It really should make no difference what you feel about TS4 as to how you get along with people. I always respect your posts and enjoy reading and debating with you-why should you enjoying this game make any issue to me personally?! But others seem to enjoy the sides rhetoric and indulge in it often. Presumably because they enjoy the 'drama' which I find completely tiresome."

I <3 this statement so much. Because it seems that if you have any opinion other than "The Sims 4 is the super, most awesome Sims game eva!" Then you are a "Negative Nancy" and you need to shut up and go home. But that's so far from the truth. We all agree that we love the Sims, or we wouldn't be here on the forums. And because of that love we only want the best for the series we care so much about.

So when we see such a huge leap from what has made our beloved games so vastly different from it's former self, we have a right to stand up and speak about it. That doesn't mean we hate the newest form of the game, we just don't like how the fundamentals have been removed and they are trying to shape it into a game genre that it was never meant for.

We all love the the series and only want to see it continue. No matter if we come here to share praise or criticism, we shouldn't be attacked or flamed. All views are welcomed here!
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

I think, or at least how I understand the comment, is if someone has been playing the Sims since day one, or even since TS2 era or TS3 era, and they know the fundamentals and the core of The Sims, then how could someone simply and openly accept the Sims 4 as a squeal or the next generation of sims, when it has deviated so far from what the Sims are.

I have said it before, I don't hate Sims 4, but it should have been a companion piece, not billed and a continuation in the Sims franchise. When you come at it from that point of view, that it's a side game, then it's an enjoyable game.

Does that make sense? Or I should say, do I make sense? LOL
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• libra_stylelibra_style Posts: 1,229 Member
    Maybe it's time for his return back into game designing process.......it's rare we hear his name and such.
  • JessicaSimstonJessicaSimston Posts: 2,519 Member
    Found this on YT:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcukBg3_RGY

The great and all mighty Will Wright speaks about his games and says some powerful words, some of the most powerful words I have ever heard

'Now the game is becoming used as a tool for auto biographies, where people are chronicling things that happened to them, abusive relationships, or deaths in the family, somebody did one about 9/11, explaining what they where doing that day, and how it played out, so its actually interesting how the game can become a tool of expression like this,'

Those words almost had me in tears, some of the most powerful words heard to man and he was talking about the greatest game of all time, which at the time, it really was.

^This is why an online game would ruin Sims. Just wanted to say.
    And that is why Sims Online bombed! LOL You'd think EA would have remembered that. But it's clear they have selective memory loss. Those who don't remember the past are doomed to repeat it.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• MandysAMessMandysAMess Posts: 2,694 Member
    Awww :'( thanks for sharing that.

I still remember the Christmas that my parents bought TS1 for me & my brother :) I have no desire to play that again LOL but I really do want to spend more time with TS2 soon <3
    My Simblr: WaffleKone
  • CapraCorn104CapraCorn104 Posts: 1,184 Member

I think, or at least how I understand the comment, is if someone has been playing the Sims since day one, or even since TS2 era or TS3 era, and they know the fundamentals and the core of The Sims, then how could someone simply and openly accept the Sims 4 as a squeal or the next generation of sims, when it has deviated so far from what the Sims are.

I have said it before, I don't hate Sims 4, but it should have been a companion piece, not billed and a continuation in the Sims franchise. When you come at it from that point of view, that it's a side game, then it's an enjoyable game.

Does that make sense? Or I should say, do I make sense? LOL
    To be quite blunt, none of that should matter. There're are people who've enjoyed TS2 and enjoy the TS4 and hated TS3, when they got into the Sims doesn't fully decide what they like. It's simply preference.
  • NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Neia wrote: »
    Cinebar wrote: »

For you.

It's not that I don't understand people actually love this game, it's I have hard time understanding if they really, really, really liked the TS1 and TS2 how they can really like the TS4 when it's not the same formula. TS3 started moving away from the 'formula' but more in they would not be as expressive which isn't the same as not emotional, with the dumbing down of the game and making it so easy we could just sit back and let the Sims run themselves. I don't really get if people loved 'The Sims' and 'The Sims 2' how they can actually bare the formula being changed from seeing a Sim behave or react and seem to 'feel' things and their response seem to be the correct one we might or would have in a situation, how they can actually love the moodlet system with text on the screen. See, that isn't part of the original concept formula, that's a new formula, and a buff system.

I don't know how they actually bare it, but have just learned to overlook it? Just deal with it? Wonder why the TS1 and TS2 don't have a buff system and or a moodlet system to tell the player what the Sim is feeling or what mood they are in? Because it wasn't known how to do that back then? I don't think so.

Do you suppose Will Wright might have been approached with an idea like that and then shown back to the office to discuss why that developer would be wrong in building his game that way since it is a life simulator, and they left happy knowing he was right?

Do you suppose since the other games are about life and bad things happen in life when we least expect it, and didn't plan it, and or are upset when it does in our lives that it's actually true it is because he said it was 'him' that made sure those things are in there, and he is the reason (according to him) why deviant players can find ways in the game to make their Sims very unhappy and set them on fire, wall them up, and or learn your Sim fixes something without skills they get killed was really because of him and he was telling the truth? Or why he felt it was part of his formula about life that Sims should get the flu and die.

Do people have many Sims in TS3 or TS4 actually dying from fire like on any given day if they cook without skills like in the TS1? Wonder why TS3 and TS4 decided it was not in the spirit of the game to allow Sims to die day one? I bet everybody can tell you the TS1 will kill your Sim dead if you make them 'cook' on day one without skills instead of choosing 'quick meal' til they learn some.

That's no longer part of what these games are about....the learning curve of life....risk something, risk your Sim getting killed. Lesson learned is the heart of The Sims in so many ways it can't be ignored.

I'm not unhappy people love the TS4, what I am unhappy about is they didn't continue the 'formula' of what this game original was based on, and were not clever enough to realize people wanted those lessons of life to be more challenging but still be about life, even a more mature game (not anything to do with nudity) but challenging the player to take care of their Sims better than to just change the games to Barbie's world, and no longer consider learning about life the good, bad and ugly was no longer what they wanted to do with the franchise.

I have a real hard time understanding if people love life simulator number one, how they actually embrace a buff and moodlet system. Conditioning?

Maybe people don't have the same definition of life simulator as you. The learning curve of life is not what TS1/TS2 was about for me. In fact I like the reduced rate of electocution/fire in TS4.

I personally genuinely like the buff system and think it does quite a good job at representing needs and feelings. I'm not overlooking it or dealing with it, I like it, there is not much that I liked about TS3 but the moodlets (and the traits) are one of the things I liked and I'm glad they kept it for TS4.

I do realize people like the buff and moodlet system. But my question remains if a person loves the original life simulator why they would embrace an rpg system? I'm very aware the games have moved away from the life simulator staring with R. Humble over the TS3, but to it's credit fans raised cane and they lightened up on many of those rpg features much later in the game, but no disrespect but I will never agree the life simulator 'The Sims Franchise for PC' should be riddled with rpg systems.

I view buff and moodlet as a life simulator system in a life simulator, I think it fits with the skills, the careers and the points assignment in CAS. Did you view those elements as RPG systems in TS1 and TS2 too ? In my mind, there are as RPG-ish as the buffs/moodlets.

• HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    When you bring up a child they don't always turn out like you want, sometimes they turn out better, sometimes worse. Our opinions on this subject just differ. I saw 3 as a terrible game.. that was my take, it wasn't like the first two. I think it has gone back to it's roots in this one.

If in a year it isn't surpassed any of the other games in sales and continueing fanbase, then no it isn't close to the best nor will ever be the best. Let's be a little real here.

I do believe it will be the best installment yet... when I said yet I meant after expansions come. I didn't put a time limit on it at all. Not sure where you plucked that from. When I think about the other games I loved before Sims 1 and Sims 2 I think of them with expansions. I do also remember how excited I was to get expansions. I think of The Sims and remember Making Magic or Superstar. I think of Sims 2 and remember Apartment Life.

I wasn't talking about fan base or making a prediction of any sales or fanbase, but if you do wish to think along those line. A year? Really. That would be a convenient argument for you no doubt. The games take much more than a year to gather fans and snowball, I would think you would know that. Let's be real.

egTcBMc.png
  • ArielDelphinusArielDelphinus Posts: 628 Member
    edited May 2015
    Let’s try this again... after writing and writing all morning when I went to post I got a message that disappeared so quickly I couldn't read it and then it didn't post... if it does later I apologize.

Thank you for posting the video. Will Wright is a genius and an amazing creator I wish he would come back. Many of the developers, Guru's and creators on the Sims 4 project could learn a lot from him and the video.

I also wish to thank everyone, regardless if I agree with you or not, for your opinions. Everyone has a right to them. I loved Sims 2 but I didn't care for Sims 3. The lag, the crashing, the long initial launch loading, and the locking up stuttering drove me nutty. My daughter on the other hand liked it, and other then the base game and world adventures, which I bought both, she purchased the rest of expansions and stuff packs with birthday money. My daughter and I have long discussions about all the Sims games on our long drives home from her orthodontist and college finals in Barstow. We discuss what we like and what we don't like in each game, she has her opinion, I have mine, and both are okay because we are different people.

Sims 4 in ways has advanced but in many ways it hasn't at all. Who would have thought that Sims 4, in some aspects, has gone back further in advancement then what we even had in the original Sims 15 years ago? I don't believe that toddlers are the sole reason that those who don't like the game are upset and disenfranchised; toddlers are a brush stroke in a much larger picture. The larger picture is the amount of missing items, what is missing, the lack of true emotions, and the lack of Sim to Sim interactions that had been in previous base games. Taking an angry pooh is not a true emotion, nor does it build a foundation for us to build an emotional connection to our Sim and hence the game. Our Sims slow dancing together, our Sims cuddling together, our Sims holding hands, our Sims reaching out for each other, those are the interactions that form and build our emotional connection to our pixelated dolls and our connection to the game. Let’s face it well all know what items are missing and if the creators would just add them in or had put them in to begin with, instead of making excuses (and promises that they have not been kept), it would have and would save themselves a lot of headaches, complaining and angry consumers.

No where on the forums did anyone ask for more costumes or more party stuff, actually a large chunk said no more, and still, we got a Luxury Stuff pack instead of stuff that would and could have been more of a use. I am not saying the Luxury pack is bad, I am saying that should and could have been something that waited for a much later date.

Yes, I will be the first to admit, I have been hard on the entire Sims 4 team and I will continue to be so, but being hard on them isn't a bad thing, old school yes, but not a bad thing. I am hard on them because I want them to do better, I want them to want to do better, and I know the game can and should be better than it is. When I was in school my swim team coach and teacher would scream and yell, tell us we were lazy and in the end she was also the teacher I respected the most. That yelling wasn't a bad thing it was the thing that pushed us to try harder, to do better and be the best we could be.

I don't hate Sims 4, I have never said I do, I do like it... but the problem is I do not love it and I want to. I want to be able to get lost in it for hours and hours the way I do Sims 2... but I don't after an hour I am pretty much bored and have a headache because of the lighting. I don't think it is fair or right to attack a person because they love the game, but as well I don't think it is fair for those that love the game to attack those who don't. Regardless of who we are or where we come from we each have Sims in common and I hope we all could agree we want and deserve the game to be the best it can be, bug free and none of us should have to pay for missing items that were staples in previous base games 15, 10 & 5 years ago.

“Because if you don't stand up for the stuff you don't like, when they come for the stuff you do like, you've already lost.”
    ― Neil Gaiman
  • missmani09missmani09 Posts: 692 Member
    edited May 2015
    Never knew there was a Sims Golf!
    & I call myself a die hard fan, lol.
    Thanks for sharing! Enjoyed this!

I wish TS4 had as much passion put into the game as TS1 & TS2.
    TS2 was and still is everything. Best Sim game made, IN MY OPINION.
    & TS3 was not a bad game. It was actually a good game.
    Yes, it had lots of bugs, but overall it was a great leap from TS2.
    They went in the right direction. They implemented open worlds, traits, customization.
    I played the TS3 base game for hours and hours without becoming bored with it.
    & TS3 expansion packs just shined even MORE light on the game.
    TS3 was a hit.

Now TS4, on the other hand was 3 steps back in the wrong direction. IN MY OPINION.
    Sure TS4 has multitasking and a great CAS system and now offers active careers...
    But unfortunately that's about all they have to offer and that doesn't make TS4 a GREAT game.
    It's not a step forward from its predecessors.
    EA just got it all wrong. But that's MY opinion.
    Toddlers are FINALLY HERE!!!
    edited May 2015

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
    I respect that.
    But, I must say...how on Earth did TS4 go back to its roots?
    I am literally baffled by this statement.
    Sims 4 represents a return back 'to the roots'. So true. Just look at all of the loading screens.

Well, that is one good explanation. :D

• mooredt21mooredt21 Posts: 1,105 Member
    Watching Will be inspired inspires me. I really miss his involvement with this franchise. :(
    <----LOQUACIOUS LURKER HERE

***Please bring back Sims 2 style storytelling features and make them publishable.***
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    @missmani09
    In my opinion TS3 strayed from the roots of the sims up to that point, that's why I didn't play it. When I opened this game I felt like I came home to my game again.
    I'm not going to list all my reasons to you as I don't feel you are doing more than mocking with the next quote you decided to place, but if you wish to look up my profile. I have explained it quite a few times in the past in other threads.
    egTcBMc.png
    How many of you have been in the situation where you were forcing your Sim to do something, they would turn their face to the screen and look at you as if to say "You want me to do what?" ?

Kind of like this? :D
    missmani09 wrote:
    My teen girl sim is SO depressed & stressed (signs of acne are showing)
    That she starts stomping out a flower bed, then she TURNS AROUND
    Faces ME (like, I'm not kidding, it was creepy) and starts yelling at ME.

muCmUkQ.jpg

I just stare back at her and grin devilishly.
    Now, that is what I call EMOTIONS.

I love The Sims 2.
    Happy, Simming.
    @missmani09
    In my opinion TS3 strayed from the roots of the sims up to that point, that's why I didn't play it. When I opened this game I felt like I came home to my game again. I'm not going to list all my reasons to you as I don't feel you are doing more than mocking with the next quote you decided to place, but if you wish to look up my profile. I have explained it quite a few times in the past in other threads.

Thanks for answering me.
    Your first two sentences gave me your explanation short and to the point.
    I thought the additional comment was funny. That is all.
    I was not trying to "mock" you, so please do not be offended.
    If you were, my apologies. That wasn't my intention. :/

Happy Simming.<3
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Thanks for the responses to this :smile:

Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg