Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

In 2002 Will Wright said:

king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
Found this on YT:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcukBg3_RGY

The great and all mighty Will Wright speaks about his games and says some powerful words, some of the most powerful words I have ever heard

'Now the game is becoming used as a tool for auto biographies, where people are chronicling things that happened to them, abusive relationships, or deaths in the family, somebody did one about 9/11, explaining what they where doing that day, and how it played out, so its actually interesting how the game can become a tool of expression like this,'

Those words almost had me in tears, some of the most powerful words heard to man and he was talking about the greatest game of all time, which at the time, it really was.

Simbourne
screenshot_original.jpg

Comments

• EsnesNommocEsnesNommoc Posts: 1,243 Member
    Wow that's awesome. :smiley:
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,823 Member
    the feels
    tumblr_nig7fu2CEM1trm8pio1_500.gif
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • YazFoxxyYazFoxxy Posts: 1,219 Member
    That was interesting. Thanks for sharing. Much love for project x.
  • YazFoxxyYazFoxxy Posts: 1,219 Member
    Will Wright passes by Sims 4 in the store...
    Me (with hand covering the front of box): Look away Will, just look away.
    Will sadly shakes head and keeps walking

LOL. At least he made the best game of all, The Sims 2.
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Ayumap wrote: »
    Thanks for sharing this video. I haven't watched it yet but I like what you quoted
    'Now the game is becoming used as a tool for auto biographies, where people are chronicling things that happened to them, abusive relationships, or deaths in the family, somebody did one about 9/11, explaining what they where doing that day, and how it played out, so its actually interesting how the game can become a tool of expression like this,'

I wish the Sims 4 leads had understood that. Some people do want to live the best,easy, and most positive life possible and do that through the sims but others want to recreate or replicate situations that they went through. Those situations aren't always good but they can be cathartic. We should be allowed to play the game how we choose as it should (imo) stay a life simulator above all else.

Even if you're just telling a separate "story" from life or playing "god" I think anyone can appreciate the ability to choose how life goes, good or bad.

I remember one of the highest rated stories from the original Sims website was about domestic violence. Story telling was a big part of The Sims back in those days
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • halimali1980halimali1980 Posts: 8,246 Member
    Not was. It still is the best game. The whole franchise is the best including TS4 and including the awful TS3
    Everything I post is an opinion here and I think every post of others is as well.
    giphy.gif
    Not was. It still is the best game. The whole franchise is the best including TS4 and including the awful TS3

What is the awful TS3 that you speak of?
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • AyumapAyumap Posts: 3,425 Member
    Thanks for sharing this video. I haven't watched it yet but I like what you quoted

I wish the Sims 4 leads had understood that. Some people do want to live the best,easy, and most positive life possible and do that through the sims but others want to recreate or replicate situations that they went through. Those situations aren't always good but they can be cathartic. We should be allowed to play the game how we choose as it should (imo) stay a life simulator above all else.

Even if you're just telling a separate "story" from life or playing "god" I think anyone can appreciate the ability to choose how life goes, good or bad.

I remember one of the highest rated stories from the original Sims website was about domestic violence. Story telling was a big part of The Sims back in those days

I can believe and understand that, totally. Besides playing the games, one of my favorite things is to read the stories other simmers tell (regardless of the game version). All simmers are different and there are so many stories each one of us has to tell, whether we share those stories or not. It's great when a simulation game gives someone the power to tell those stories.
    2m60a6q.jpg
    *There's nothing wrong with loving the Sims 4, there's also nothing wrong with seeking improvements.
    A list of Mods I use.|My Sims 4 Mod and CC "Master" post. Helpful Links included.

I can believe and understand that, totally. Besides playing the games, one of my favorite things is to read the stories other simmers tell (regardless of the game version). All simmers are different and there are so many stories each one of us has to tell, whether we share those stories or not. It's great when a simulation game gives someone the power to tell those stories.

Back in those days it was something I did ever Friday, read Sims stories and if you liked them, you could download the family from the exchange and sometimes gets some cool skins or heads or maybe walls and floors
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
    Jarsie9 wrote: »

TS4 bites, especially when compared to the framework of TS1 and TS2. As far as TS3 is concerned, it's *your* opinion that it's an awful game; many people like it.

Also, let's be clear on this: TS1 and TS2 are the *only* games that Will Wright has been involved in, and he left EA shortly after TS2 was released. He's moved on to other things; never had a thing to do with TS3 and, unfortunately, is totally uninvolved with The Sims 4.

One important thing to note: Will Wright's original vision was to keep his games open-ended and allow many options for the players to create what *they* wanted to create, not what the game forced them to create. The Sims 4 has taken a once successful franchise and (beginning with the Sims 3 and Rod Humble's vision of bringing in the hardcore gamers) transformed it into a grind-fest complete with linear gameplay and the nerfing of aspiration rewards such as the Never Weary reward (which was nerfed according to SimGuru Daniel, because it was felt that it gave undue advantage to players...huh?) Instead of the open-ended game play that we're used to where WE are their gods and WE rule, now the game rules the player, not the other way around.

It's a shame that Mr. Wright has lost interest in The Sims and has gone on to other projects such as "The Hive Mind" thingy he's working on now (at least, last time I heard)...because he's really the only one that could make a competitor to his own series...call it "Lifescape", Mr. Wright...and bring back the sophisticated, challenging, and many-layered game that was The Sims and later became The Sims 2.

But to say that TS4 is the best game is an insult to the other 3 much more sophisticated iterations of this franchise. The Sims 4 is nothing more than a glorified quest-based tablet game, much like The Sims FreePlay.

Good points. Myself I feel that TS3 was the last 'great' Sims game. When I play the game I can play as I want, the final game to allow Will Wright's vision so even though he wasn't part of it, the early ideas still followed through. The added presence of CASt & CAW simply gave further options of self customisation which was lacking in the first two games while right from TS3 base game, there was a number of play styles you can pick up.

Family play was there with all life stages & it was popular with legacy players but if you wanted 'single arty' Sims, you where also catered for. The builders where catered for before CAW even opened and for those who do like some 'goals and challenges' there was some of that but nothing felt forced or scripted.

The Sims 4 should have been the next chapter of Will Wright's vision, it wouldn't have to be exactly like the games before it but it should be nothing like them either. Sadly, it seems that they went for the latter
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Everybody has a different definition of the good side.
    - Will Wright
    People still use these games to tell their stories. I'm glad a genius like Will Wright gave us this gift of the The Sims.
    egTcBMc.png
  • WulfsimmerWulfsimmer Posts: 4,381 Member
    edited May 2015
    I think if Will Wright passed by EA and saw The Sims 4 his actions and words will be:

Action: Burns the studio

Says: Burn my friends BURN

Pretty accurate if I say so myself ;)
    Random-gifs-random-18723411-368-312.gif

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
    Hermitgirl wrote: »
    Everybody has a different definition of the good side.
    - Will Wright
    People still use these games to tell their stories. I'm glad a genius like Will Wright gave us this gift of the The Sims.

I wonder if 20 years ago when he started the basics for The Sims if he would have known how big it was. Even back in 2000 when TS1 was launched it seems unlikely that they would have imagined how that year would have gone for them.
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    edited May 2015
    According to that video it was a surprised. He worked on what he loved. Just as it seems he is now.
    egTcBMc.png
    According to that video it was a surprised. He worked on what he loved. Just as it seems he is now.
    Its a shame that he had to leave The Sims but maybe he felt that, after TS2, the series was in safe hands as he inspired other developers with the vision which remained into TS3 and only stopped with TS4
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
    Astro wrote: »
    Its a shame that he had to leave The Sims but maybe he felt that, after TS2, the series was in safe hands as he inspired other developers with the vision which remained into TS3 and only stopped with TS4
    The Sims was a great trilogy...

'The three musketeers!' :smiley:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    Astro wrote: »
    The Sims was a great trilogy...

This Sims is an amazing tetralogy.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif