Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Ultimate University Challenge (UUC) - Muse Style!

Comments

• CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    @SimPoseyYum And it is still in test mode--so we're just sort of winging and experimenting! SummerFalls is about to start one! Can't wait to read his story of it.
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • SimPoseyYumSimPoseyYum Posts: 995 Member
    Got it. As long as I'm here, I have another question.

It's only the first Thursday in-game but I am *cough* I mean, my Sim is already all stressed out. Two of the three showers are broken, as are the refrigerator, TV, radio, toilets and sinks. The trash is overflowing, and the only reason there is even trash in the can is because I, the player, have been dragging it in there. Everyone in the dorm leaves the dishes where they sit. All the showers are filthy, as are the toilets. My Sim keeps making group meals but the other students eat them before he can have seconds, so he must cook for EVERY meal or eat quick meals, which don't satisfy his hunger.

My question is, how can my poor student be expected to run the entire dorm, do ALL the cleaning, ALL the cooking, ALL the repairs, take out the trash and still keep his studies up? He's completely frazzled, and by extension, so am I. I think the only way I was able to get through Week 1 on my prior file is because I had all higher end items and the never-needs-emptying trashcan.

And don't get me started on the non-locking doors and students commandeering the bed in the Dean's room. Sets my teeth on edge!

Am I doing something wrong? I am not *cough* I mean he ;) is not going to make it to the weekend at this rate.
  • Spacey72659Spacey72659 Posts: 1,479 Member
    My Sim has an advantage b/c of her custom trait, so I am having her do 5 actual years of schooling - so each week is one full year. So, my back story is kind of like, it starts out as a university that has an early program for high school students to get a jump on their academic careers and so they actually do 5 years b/c of that.
    I mean, it's not perfect b/c teens have two weeks, but whatever. LOL.

And it's fun b/c my Sim builds skills faster then normal so I am having her complete a major for each year (week). I'm lining it up to coincide with whatever the general ed class is so that she has to work on 4 skills (I'm making her do both listed to add more difficulty for her).

She's already completed her first year and gotten an A, and thankfully we had enough to pay the bills due to her painting skill, the dean's painting randomly, and getting her charisma up enough to ask for loans from people. LOL!!
    @Spacy76259 I think you're doing it all right! It's tough sometimes! I went with higher end stuff--but I'm not sure I'll make it through the first set of bills.

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
    Got it. As long as I'm here, I have another question.

It's only the first Thursday in-game but I am *cough* I mean, my Sim is already all stressed out. Two of the three showers are broken, as are the refrigerator, TV, radio, toilets and sinks. The trash is overflowing, and the only reason there is even trash in the can is because I, the player, have been dragging it in there. Everyone in the dorm leaves the dishes where they sit. All the showers are filthy, as are the toilets. My Sim keeps making group meals but the other students eat them before he can have seconds, so he must cook for EVERY meal or eat quick meals, which don't satisfy his hunger.

My question is, how can my poor student be expected to run the entire dorm, do ALL the cleaning, ALL the cooking, ALL the repairs, take out the trash and still keep his studies up? He's completely frazzled, and by extension, so am I. I think the only way I was able to get through Week 1 on my prior file is because I had all higher end items and the never-needs-emptying trashcan.

And don't get me started on the non-locking doors and students commandeering the bed in the Dean's room. Sets my teeth on edge!

Am I doing something wrong? I am not *cough* I mean he ;) is not going to make it to the weekend at this rate.

I got the door lock mod to combat the issues of Sims using the Dean quarters. Also keeps the students out of each others rooms (in case my Sim wants to buy herself a computer or something nice). The only one the locks don't stop is the ghost b/c locks don't work for ghosts.

I also got the unbreakable version of everything possible, as well as the trash can that gives money for using it.

I've been lucky that the dean likes to paint, so that we can sell his paintings to get money. So far, we've had enough to pay the bills and I have a big dorm with pretty much everything in it.
    CathyTea wrote: »
    @Spacy76259 I think you're doing it all right! It's tough sometimes! I went with higher end stuff--but I'm not sure I'll make it through the first set of bills.

Well, the 'artificial intelligence' trait helps my Sims build skills really fast - so she's maxed a few traits already. So it helps with the funds b/c she can paint higher quality items.
    But that's why I am making her max all the skills for the general ed classes and her major, instead of like getting 3 points for each skill a year. So she'll do 5 majors by the time she's done - but I think that's the only way to make it not super easy for her.

I guess it depends how much of the high end stuff you have. My bills for the first week were like 12,000 and I have like 9 toilets, 4 showers, 5 computers... and I have a gym, pool, rocket, observatory, etc etc. Basically everything you can have they do. So.... I managed to pay the bills and have like 9,000 left over. My Sim is able to ask for loans from people (so not an option for most) and she paints and so does the Dean.

I think you'll be ok with the higher end stuff if you don't have as much as I do, and as long as your Sims gets an A.

oops! I meant this comment for @SimPoseyYum

Now I'm confused again :). What is the "artificial intelligence" trait? And my Sim doesn't have time to fulfill all his personal needs and go to class (he had to neglect his homework two days in a row). I can't see how he can work on extra skilling.

Right now, he's spending his Saturday catching up on needs so he can then play handyman and cleaner. As soon as he's full, he needs to shower and when he's done showering, he's exhausted and has to go to bed. Poor thing'll never get to to his studying, much less have any fun. *sniffle*
    Now I'm confused again :). What is the "artificial intelligence" trait? And my Sim doesn't have time to fulfill all his personal needs and go to class (he had to neglect his homework two days in a row). I can't see how he can work on extra skilling.

Right now, he's spending his Saturday catching up on needs so he can then play handyman and cleaner. As soon as he's full, he needs to shower and when he's done showering, he's exhausted and has to go to bed. Poor thing'll never get to to his studying, much less have any fun. *sniffle*

Homework doesn't really matter. The grade they earn in high school is unrelated to the college grade, which is determined by the skills for their major and gen ed. So, you can use vacation days if needed to simply stay home and skill. And don't forget Zzzz juice! (sleep replacement potion--only 400 aspiration points). And... maybe some stuff can just stay broken?

Wait. No (HS) homework? No (HS) classes? :dizzy: Obviously I did not read through this thread as thoroughly as I should have.

I just assumed those responsibilities and commitments had to be maintained. I assumed we were using those as college classes and college homework. My poor Sim never made enough whim points to buy a Sleep Potion (he had fewer than 200 points by the first Friday) because he was too busy attending to needs and responsibilities (and playing janitor/cook/maid) :tired_face: .

Well. This changes EVERYTHING.

Darnit, I wish I had saved my new dorm. I'm going to have to start over again... again! And, since I still have no locking doors, this time, I'm going to make sure if some Sim sleeps in the Dean's bed and uses the Dean's private bathroom, it's gonna be MY Sim.

It's a CC trait. I have a few of them. Since my Sim is a robot (well, you know, as much as a Sim can be one LOL) I used that to make her more authentic, but it gives her a huge advantage - which is why I adjusted my challenge accordingly.

It's a CC trait. I have a few of them. Since my Sim is a robot (well, you know, as much as a Sim can be one LOL) I used that to make her more authentic, but it gives her a huge advantage - which is why I adjusted my challenge accordingly.
    Ahhh I see. I have no CC or mods, so that's probably why I wasn't familiar with it. Thanks for the explanation!

Wait. No (HS) homework? No (HS) classes? :dizzy: Obviously I did not read through this thread as thoroughly as I should have.

I just assumed those responsibilities and commitments had to be maintained. I assumed we were using those as college classes and college homework. My poor Sim never made enough whim points to buy a Sleep Potion (he had fewer than 200 points by the first Friday) because he was too busy attending to needs and responsibilities (and playing janitor/cook/maid) :tired_face: .

Well. This changes EVERYTHING.

Darnit, I wish I had saved my new dorm. I'm going to have to start over again... again! And, since I still have no locking doors, this time, I'm going to make sure if some Sim sleeps in the Dean's bed and uses the Dean's private bathroom, it's gonna be MY Sim.

It doesn't explicitly say don't do homework--and it does say to go to high school. And, because my Sim and I are geeks, we do homework anyway and work towards an A--but there's no need to! Once you get vacation, use it! The high school grade has no effect on the college grade! It just comes from skill points!

Ahhh I see. I have no CC or mods, so that's probably why I wasn't familiar with it. Thanks for the explanation!

Haha, yeah sorry. I prob wasn't clear when I mentioned it - I had a few ramble posts ;)
  • capturedmusecapturedmuse Posts: 300 Member
    Finally back, my apologies to everyone. If you have any questions that you didn't come up with creative solutions for I'm all keyboard.
  • Emma-LeeXOXOEmma-LeeXOXO Posts: 549 Member
    Totally going to give this a try. Seems like so much fun.
    sMggKkh.png

Totally going to give this a try. Seems like so much fun.

Best of luck!
  • SummerFallsSummerFalls Posts: 6,413 Member
    Hi! I guess I'll take the spot as CathyTea's Nominee ;)

My UUC Story
    ooh_zpseebomb8i.png
    Origin ID: SummerFalls
    House: Ravenclaw/Wampus - Wand: Alder wood with Unicorn hair core 10 ¾" and Slightly Springy flexibility - Patronus: Neblung Cat
    | Simblr | Youtube | I love creating sims! |
  • SevenitySevenity Posts: 2 New Member
    Definitely giving this challenge a try! I've been looking for good uni challenge to do and I think this will work well with the story in getting ready to create for my new sim. Can't wait!
  • Julyvee94Julyvee94 Posts: 6,694 Member
    edited July 2015
    Great idea! Who needs Uni EP when you have this ^^

I might try it too but atm my neighbourhoods are crowded and I don't want to evict them ^^ maybe I'll twist the rules a bit and create a dorm without bulldozing the neighbourhood

But I don't really understand yet how general studies influence your grades.
    I'll tag @CathyTea in this as well. Do you think that we could replace Handiness for Wellness in the Health and Physical Fitness major?
    ooh_zpseebomb8i.png
    House: Ravenclaw/Wampus - Wand: Alder wood with Unicorn hair core 10 ¾" and Slightly Springy flexibility - Patronus: Neblung Cat
    I'll tag @CathyTea in this as well. Do you think that we could replace Handiness for Wellness in the Health and Physical Fitness major?
    I think this is a great idea! Or maybe we could have four, and they choose three, like in Fine Arts?

I think this is a great idea! Or maybe we could have four, and they choose three, like in Fine Arts?

That's also a great idea! I might change Noah's skill from Handiness to Wellness when he enters his second year, since that's when I plan to put the Spa in.
    ooh_zpseebomb8i.png
    Yup, it'd end up being choose three like the other expansion skills are in the other majors.

@JulyaVee Could you elaborate a bit on your question?
  • Julyvee94Julyvee94 Posts: 6,694 Member
    Yup, it'd end up being choose three like the other expansion skills are in the other majors.

@JulyaVee Could you elaborate a bit on your question?

It says not reaching the requirements for general studies will get you one grade down. But the requirements of general studies have grades themselves. Do I have to reach an A so my final grade won't get deducted?