Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Ultimate University Challenge (UUC) - Muse Style!

Comments

• CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    Got another update! The challenge seems so hard at first glance, but I'm starting to think it might be do-able! (and I live the ISBI aspect of it): Journal Entry 1.3
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • SimPoseyYumSimPoseyYum Posts: 995 Member
    edited May 2015
    I've been spending time getting everything set up to start this Challenge. I *may* have made some mistakes. Please tell me if I've done things wrong.
    • I've created my own Dean of Students. Her name is Ms. Slist. Angie Slist. Dean Slist doesn't have any skills whatsoever, since I created her from scratch. And how can I get her a job if I don't play her? My solution: I'll play her long enough to (cheat) max her skills and secure her job, then switch over to my student. I hope that's ok.
    • I've created my own Residence Hall. Bliss Hall, since it would be bliss to live there. It has virtually everything a student (or non-student) could want or need. This is, without a doubt, the largest construction project I've ever undertaken, across all Sims games I've played. I couldn't figure out how to make the freerealestate cheat work, so, for my game, Sims College had a wonderful benefactor who created a 500,000 simolean endowment for the creation of Bliss Hall (in other words, I motherloded my way to 500k). The leftover funds will, of course, go back to the College (in other words, I'll money-set cheat them out).
    Hmmm I just realized the College is going to be hit with a boatload of bills... Bliss Hall won't be nearly as blissful with no electricity... Guess I'll just have to play it out and see what happens. Dean Slist had better work her buns off to keep these students happy!

Well, we're off and running. This Challenge is a really challenge for my computer; it's nearly 10 years old and is working HARD to keep up, bless its heart! Because there is so much going on, what with the size of the Residence Hall coupled with so many Sims, I'm getting a little bit of lag. It's a testament to this old workhorse of a PC that it's able to run such a massive file. I'm impressed.

This Challenge also represents two other Sims 4 firsts for me: first time playing teenagers (not impressed) and first time playing a multi-Sim household. It's... interesting... The lack of locking doors or the ability to assign beds -- not good.

Anyway, I cheated out as many skills for Dean Slist as I could (couldn't cheat out Handiness or Fitness, for some reason). I played her long enough to have her secure a job. I'm worried about the bills though. We're still on Week 1, so I haven't seen them yet. The Rules and Regs indicate we can throw a Fundraiser Party if needed. I don't know how to do that.

Can someone enlighten me please?

ETA: Also, I know we can't play the other characters, but can we click on them to check status? I'd love to know what skills they are working on or what their traits are. Or are we supposed to be in the dark about them? Hehe I created them all but I forget who's who and who likes what :D. I hope one of them is Neat because the place is quickly going to the dogs.
    I feel your pain re. the lag, @SimPoseyYum! I've got about a nine-year-old laptop playing this, and it gets very buggy with more than 6 Sims per household. So I'm playing UUC-lite, with only five students and the dean in the house.

Sure, you can click the others to see their status and activities--also, you can view their traits, skills, and relationships. Just don't direct them to do any actions.

My dean painted an masterpiece--so lucky! So we sold it!

I'm not sure about how to throw a fundraising party, either. ?

My Sim just finished Friday of her first week. I'll post her update tonight or tomorrow morning (oops--I just realized that just because it's Friday night for her, it's NOT Friday night for me. Yes I do need to go to the office tomorrow--note to self.)

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
    Thanks, @CathyTea! Heh I had a hard time deciding between a Like and a LOL for you :). Yeah, it's just Tuesday. Boo hiss.

Lucky you with the masterpiece! That'll help tremendously with the finances. No one at Bliss Hall has picked up a paintbrush yet. Side note: if one of the students makes money, do we all get to split it? If they write books, do I publish them? Or is the AI smart enough to publish them?

My Sim, Kenji, just finished up Friday, Week 1 as well. He was frazzled to the bone. Lag made things worse. He played chess until his Fun bar was full, then stood up and it dropped to 25%. His bars take forever to fill and can literally drop by 1/2 in a split second (and sadly, I'm using the proper definition of "literally"). It doesn't help that every dish in the house is dirty and that every TV, radio and even one of the refrigerators is busted. None of these kids knows how to clean, wash dishes or make repairs??? Did they all grow up with maids? Oh wait, Sims 4 maids... nevermind...

• Spacey72659Spacey72659 Posts: 1,479 Member
    Ahhh, I really want to start this challenge. I guess I need to get to work on my Sims and school.

I have this and another large one I want to start, but I have to wrap up a few others. I am prerecording a bunch of my other ones so that I can finish them sooner (even though I won't be posting the videos all at once).
    edited May 2015
    More questions, this time, regarding Scoring:

My student just finished Week 1. All his major subjects (skills) are at level 3. His minor is level 1. He also has a few other courses (skills) at level 1. What is it called when a student takes extra courses? How are we scoring the minor courses and those extra courses?

Edit: Whoops. Looks like I'm done. The College is officially bankrupt. Bills were just delivered: $8379. Our funds aren't even $2000. Ah well, it was an interesting experiment, so thanks for setting up this Challenge! I learned a lot about having a multi-Sim household.
    Post edited by SimPoseyYum on

My student just finished Week 1. All his major subjects (skills) are at level 3. His minor is level 1. He also has a few other courses (skills) at level 1. What is it called when a student takes extra courses? How are we scoring the minor courses and those extra courses?

Edit: Whoops. Looks like I'm done. The College is officially bankrupt. Bills were just delivered: $8379. Our funds aren't even $2000. Ah well, it was an interesting experiment, so thanks for setting up this Challenge! I learned a lot about having a multi-Sim household.

Can you sell a bunch of stuff in the household to be able to afford the bills?

CathyTea wrote: »

Can you sell a bunch of stuff in the household to be able to afford the bills?

I probably could; that's a good suggestion, thanks, @CathyTea! The issue for me is threefold, however:
    • Loading screens tick me off. I can't stand them, so I tend to make my Sims 4 lots as all-inclusive as I can. Most of my Sims 4 Sims rarely venture away from their home lot. It's a sad fact that I feel forced to limit their lives so, but it makes Sims 4 a bit more tolerable for me. If I sold off some of the College's assets, the students would have to go off campus. Loading screens make me as Tense as my avatar photo. Ugh.
    • Even if we sold assets this week, we'd be in the same pickle next week. I doubt Dean Slist will be able to earn $3k or more in a week. Not without me directly controlling her, which is against the rules.
    • This file may be glitched. I say *may be* because after doing some research, it seems the problems plaguing this file are not unique. My Sim, Kenji, will frequently stand idle, nodding his head, for a good Sim-hour before doing an activity I've instructed for him. The non-controlled Sims do it, too. Or, his Needs drop like a rock for no reason. Or Time will set itself back by a Sim-hour or two (it'll be 11:24, then a second later it'll be 10:35). I thought it was lag, caused by my PC being so old. I thought perhaps my PC just couldn't handle such a big file. However, research has shown that apparently others have had these same issues and they've been going on since launch. So this particular file may just be glitched.
    All in all, although this Challenge exposed me to some new play possibilities, I may just need to call it a day. I don't think I'm cut out for managing big households :).

@SimPoseyYum You know, I've been experiencing those glitches a little bit, too, especially if I speed up to 3x time.

Also, you know how you mentioned the fun meter dropping when Kenji got up from a chess game? I've had that happen, too, and I also had the homework reset to about 3/4 after it was already nearly completed!

As a legacy player, I really love large households. My laptop can't really handle more than 6 per household, but I do love having lots of Sims.

Glad you got a new experience with this challenge!

I have the glitching issue a lot. Sometimes if you cancel whatever they are doing they reset themselves. Also had issues with the 3x speed dropping out - like, it's on but it's not moving anywhere near 3x speed. I find when that happens if I pause, or play normal, then go back it's fine. And of COURSE (sigh) if I have a lot of glitches happening I "repair" the game. Sad that is the standard way to fix things but hey, it works I guess. LOL

I just got a load of new custom content, so I am going to start working on my students. I have a few all planed out, and a few I still have to figure out. Excited!
    Started making my Sims YAY
    I got 3 done, and the dean (I may or may not change him, he was pretty much random generated and I'm focused less on him then the students so...)
    Started making my Sims YAY
    I got 3 done, and the dean (I may or may not change him, he was pretty much random generated and I'm focused less on him then the students so...)

Very cool! Will you be blogging the story so we can follow along?

I do LP's - so it will be on my YouTube channel.
    I know a lot of people prefer reading to watching LP's so I will try to post here with any major occurrences.

I posted one of my Sims for the challenge on my Twitter though (I really hate uploading to photobucket before I can post here, hahaha)

https://twitter.com/SpaceySims
  • SimmerPTSimmerPT Posts: 128 Member
    Hi! This seem a nice short challenge. I may give this one a go after I finish my Wonderchild, and then I will make him the Dean for this challenge.
    cpbbxqP.png
    Origin ID:badana90
    Blog:simmerptstories.wordpress.com/
    Youtube Channel:Simmer Pt
    Let's Play:The Drifter Challenge House 003
    SimmerPT wrote: »
    Hi! This seem a nice short challenge. I may give this one a go after I finish my Wonderchild, and then I will make him the Dean for this challenge.

That's a great idea to make the Wonderchild the dean! I'm having lots of fun with the challenge.

I put a bit of a twist on my game (it's kind of a cheat, actually) by having Wonderchilds as three of the non-played students. (I wanted my college student to have that feeling I had in college that everybody was so much more talented, skilled, and prepared.) It's been fun to watch the Wonderchilds be completely autonomous!

I have 6 of my students done. I think I want to make 7, but I may still only play with 1 of them. Or maybe rotate play of the other one.
    I think I'll stick with just one (maybe help the Dean make some money if he needs to get a boost at work or something).
  • capturedmusecapturedmuse Posts: 300 Member
    So sorry for the radio silence, got really sick with food poisoning and am slowly, very slowly just getting the energy to get back into things. Finishing up some stuff and will hopefully have everything updated during this weekend. Going over all the posts now. o.o
    Regarding fundraisers, you know how if you throw a themed party with the scoring and when it's done you get an item? You can keep or sell that item and count that as the fund raiser as some of the items are very expensive if you do well!

As for the dorms, yup, that's the challenge, trying to find a dorm to make it affordable enough to get past those first few semesters.

Super good job on the attempt @SimPoseyYum! And @CathyTea I am gonna read those journals right now!

So sorry for the radio silence, got really sick with food poisoning and am slowly, very slowly just getting the energy to get back into things. Finishing up some stuff and will hopefully have everything updated during this weekend. Going over all the posts now. o.o
    Eeep! That stinks. I'm glad to know you're feeling better now. <3

Regarding fundraisers, you know how if you throw a themed party with the scoring and when it's done you get an item? You can keep or sell that item and count that as the fund raiser as some of the items are very expensive if you do well!

As for the dorms, yup, that's the challenge, trying to find a dorm to make it affordable enough to get past those first few semesters.

Super good job on the attempt @SimPoseyYum! And @CathyTea I am gonna read those journals right now!
    Yes, keeping a modest dorm is a BIG challenge ( :D ). I wanted my students to be at an exclusive, hoity-toity swanky college. I/they may need to lower their expectations of life away from home, with no access to the "Bank of Mom and Dad" (*shout out to Gina Yashere).

I may attempt this again. With a smaller, less opulent dorm, the file may run better. Perhaps I'll have to play on 1x time (I normally play on 3x time with no problems). It was a fun Challenge and definitely worth giving another try. Plus, I really liked my students and Dean Slist (she's so classy looking!).

Oh, my gosh. I'm so sorry about that. It's really rough. Hope you're feeling better and getting your system back into balance.

@capturedmuse My big first question is how to determine the grades at the end of the first semester of each year. I see the grades for the end of each year--it's the end of the first semester grades that I'm unsure of.

And, by the way, it's such an awesome challenge! I love the ISBI aspect combined with the specific focus on skilling. We haven't had our first set of bills yet, but we're prepared to demolish some of the casitas if needed!

I can't wait to hear how your second try goes, @SimPoseyYum !

Hrm, that is an interesting question @CathyTea, how about you do almost the same as the year scores except cut it in half? What do you think? And I'm glad you're enjoying it Cathy! I'm finding that making a good dorm that looks good but is affordable is a bit hard to do. Can't wait until we have some more furniture types, heh. But then again, I always want new furniture...
    Hrm, that is an interesting question @CathyTea, how about you do almost the same as the year scores except cut it in half? What do you think? And I'm glad you're enjoying it Cathy! I'm finding that making a good dorm that looks good but is affordable is a bit hard to do. Can't wait until we have some more furniture types, heh. But then again, I always want new furniture...

All-righty! I'll do the first semester grades that way!