Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Unknown Error Occurred! PLS HELP.

janeegirl94janeegirl94 Posts: 148 Member
edited May 2015 in The Sims 3 Mac Discussion
This is the this first time ever downloading the Sims 3 on my Mac and I'm not sure why I am getting issues!

I go to click the icon to open the launcher but it just keeps saying "Unknown error occurred" and then it shuts down. I cannot even open the launcher. I have tried going into the file to make it bypass the launcher but then it gives me a new error. I dont know what to do!

I have even played sims 4 on my computer so I dont know why sims 4 works and sims 3 doesn't! Please help!
I just want to play and have no idea why it wouldn't work on my computer. My computer runs very well and never has issues like this.

Comments

• SimmerforeverrxoSimmerforeverrxo Posts: 3 New Member
    Im having the same problem and i cannot find a solution. I just made a part in here cause I'm that desperate
  • openhinatagal673openhinatagal673 Posts: 15 New Member
    I am having the same issue and those links aren't working for me. Everytime I contact an EA advisor it leasts to a different problem. I uninstalled and reinstalled origin and all my sim games
  • emilipede95emilipede95 Posts: 2 New Member
    I had the same problem! My game has worked fine for years but I installed sims 3 ambitions today and now it has the error popping up. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling sims 3 base game and sims 3 ambitions and it still isn't letting me open it. What do I do?
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    apple-signature.png
  • th3sims12th3sims12 Posts: 11 New Member
    I have tried installing just the base game because for the past two years I haven't been able to play the Sims 3 at all. I had to uninstall two years ago and ever since, I've never been able to install it again. Again, I have tried installing all the expansions and I have tired just the base game. I've received the error: The Sims 3 Unknown error occurred way too many times to count. I have uninstalled, reinstalled, removed all Sims files from my computer and nothing works. I use an iMac and I've included the specs below.

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: iMac
    Model Identifier: iMac14,2
    Processor Name: Intel Core i5
    Processor Speed: 3.2 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 4
    L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 6 MB
    Memory: 8 GB
    Boot ROM Version: 137.0.0.0.0
    SMC Version (system): 2.15f7
  • puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    @th3sims12 Since this is the Mac section, it's better to troubleshoot here, rather than in tech.

The first thing to do, even if you've tried it already, is a clean uninstall of all TS3-related files, just to cover all bases. Make sure you get the hidden library files, or the game won't launch, regardless of what else you do. Here's how to find those files:

https://bluebellflora.com/how-to-do-a-clean-uninstall-and-reinstall-on-a-mac/

Next, install the base game only, no packs, and run the Super Patch (digital download version) to manually patch to 1.67. The launcher won't do a good job of patching on its own, and running the Super Patch wouldn't hurt anyway.

https://bluebellflora.com/sims-3-manual-super-patch-for-mac-1-67/

The immediate issues is that your graphics card isn't in TS3's database, so you'll need to edit the game's .sgr files to add it. I can help with this, but I need the device ID of your card—there are three different ones that came with your model iMac. Here's how to find the device ID:

https://bluebellflora.com/2018/07/24/sims-3-mac-players-i-need-your-help/#Information

Once I have that, I can PM you the proper text to add to the files, and instructions on how to do it.
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 755M:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GT 755M
    Type: GPU
    Bus: PCIe
    PCIe Lane Width: x16
    VRAM (Total): 1 GB
    Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
    Device ID: 0x0fea
    Revision ID: 0x00a2
    ROM Revision: 3782
    Metal: Supported, feature set macOS GPUFamily1 v4
    Displays:
    iMac:
    Display Type: LCD
    Resolution: 2560 x 1440 (QHD/WQHD - Wide Quad High Definition)
    UI Looks like: 2560 x 1440
    Framebuffer Depth: 24-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
    Main Display: Yes
    Mirror: Off
    Online: Yes
    Rotation: Supported
    Automatically Adjust Brightness: No
    Connection Type: DisplayPort
    Doing steps one and two completely fixed all my problems. I downloaded just the base game and it's running again after all this time! Thank you so much!!!! Now to download all the expansions in order.
    Ok, I installed the expansions in order one at a time and it's not working now. I'm still getting the infamous "The Sims 3 Unknown error occurred" message. Back to square one....ugh!
  • puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    @th3sims12 Getting the base game going was just the first step. I didn't write out the others because sometimes the base game can be enough of a headache all on its own, and there's no point in installing the packs before sorting the other stuff out. I'm actually surprised that you didn't need to add your graphics card to the .sgr files, since it's definitely not there. But people running Mojave seem to have that issue less of the time than those running Sierra or HS.

Anyway, there are four packs that don't install correctly: Ambitions, Late Night, Fast Lane, and Outdoor Living. You'll need to apply two workarounds for these packs. The first is easy—create an alias for each pack that doesn't already have on in Applications, alongside the alias for the base game.

https://bluebellflora.com/sims-3-packs-not-showing-as-installed/

The second workaround is to copy a folder for each affected pack into the folder for your newest pack by the date EA released it. (So that would be Into the Future if you have it, and if not, Movie Stuff, or Isla Paradiso, etc.) This video shows you where to find the folders and how to copy them to their proper destination:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-Mac/CURRENT-ISSUE-Sims-3-Unknown-Error-in-El-Capitan-Sierra-High/m-p/5725514#M5926

If you're not sure what goes where, just list the packs you'd like to install, and I can give more specific instructions.

If you've uninstalled anything, it's probably best to start from scratch and get the patched base game running. That way, if you run into a problem, you can sort through it without needing to deal with the packs at the same time.