Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Getting bored and not sure how to progress?

Hi there, just looking to find out what your play style is?

I've bulldozed all my lots in OS and WC and now I don't know what to do? How are you playing right now?

Comments

• 0Chloe0Chloe Posts: 1,922 Member
    edited May 2015
    If you've bulldozed all lots in Oasis Springs and Willow Creek, I recommend spending some time building new lots if you like building or want to improve. It’s nice to refresh the exisiting buildings too, it gets a little boring looking at the same buildings over and over. I find that spending time building will cure my boredom of family gameplay.

I'm currently playing a new family at the moment and just about to start a new active career.
    nR9bj3xc5JPW0.gif
  • tkwolftkwolf Posts: 362 Member
    I find myself getting bored so quickly too. This was never the case with the sims 1 and the sims 3 for me.
    There just isn't much to do, or maybe the novelty has worn off for me.

INTRODUCING.....TA DA DA DAAAAAA
    SIMS 4! STAR WARS!
    BU7XCq7.jpg
  • MunchyMunchy Posts: 513 Member
    Mm....

How about creating a neighbourhood of your favourite TV show? I was tempted to make one of off 'Pretty Little Liars' but too much work! :sweat_smile:
  • Aussie_SimmerAussie_Simmer Posts: 2,623 Member
    We definitely need more worlds. :)
    Aussie_Simmer
  • ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member

I've bulldozed all my lots in OS and WC and now I don't know what to do? How are you playing right now?

Well my town is going all torches and pitchforks over aliens :)
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • ldmarkoldmarko Posts: 5,487 Member
    I have seven families, all but two are still in their starter homes. Using no money cheats or mods, I'm having a sort of race to see which family can get into a mansion first. Right now there's a lot of collectible gathering going on.
    Gallery ID: LDM2
  • cherparcherpar Posts: 2,092 Member
    I'm not. I've pretty much exhausted the GTW features. I've returned to sims 2 for the moment. Three challenges, legacy, room challenge and wonder child helped keep boredom at bay for a while. I'm not really a builder so can't advise on that.
  • knazzerknazzer Posts: 3,382 Member
    Three things i've started doing now to relieve boredom.

- Turn off all Emotional objects, Sims actually seem to have proper emotions now.
    - Completing achievements
    - Trying to get all collectables.

• AnnLee87AnnLee87 Posts: 2,475 Member
    First you need to decide what type of houses you are going to build. I used different styles for each neighborhood one time but prefer one type like Santa Fe or adobe for Oasis Springs and anything from more traditional to modern homes in Willow Creek. I did cape cod houses in magnolia promenade. I do not have any shops because I do not like running a business.

I built all venues gym, bar, park, library, lounge etc. in one park like a town square. I switch the lot to whatever is needed at the time. This creates more residential lots or they can be used for shops if you GTW. I also added a place to get married and a science learning center to my town square. If you want a rocket at a venue it has to be a residential lot first and have a Sim live there and build the rocket. Use manage households to move the Sim out and change the lot to your next venue type. I love my town square!

Do you want starter homes or are you going to use the free real estate cheat? I leave one smaller lot with a bathroom and sort of a campground so my Sims can work their way into a larger home and then start a family or acquire roommates etc. For others I just use the cheat and put them straight into a dream home. Just depends on the background story etc.

I also like all my homes in a neighborhood to have similar fencing and landscaping so as my Sims walk through the hood everything kind of matches.

You need to think about what you want and envision it and then start building. My first town build was all random houses because I was learning and experimenting. I actually modified all the venues and turned them into homes leaving as much from the original build that I could. It was fun. Then when we got pools I added them. Small lots were a challenge. Basements were easier to add.

When the game was new (before pools) when I started getting into the aspirations I realized that I needed venues so that's when I got the idea to build a huge town square.

I love building in TS4 almost more than playing the game. Hope this helps you! Good luck!
  • midnitetechmidnitetech Posts: 283 Member
    Thank you all so much! I don't know what to do with my map really... I hate huge lots so don't know what to do with those... Was thinking about have a cheap area, a suburban area, but then I'm lost. If they can't bring back CAW, at least let us edit lot sizes. I could fit loads of small lots in, and that's just what I want.
    edited May 2015
    Thank you all so much! I don't know what to do with my map really... I hate huge lots so don't know what to do with those... Was thinking about have a cheap area, a suburban area, but then I'm lost. If they can't bring back CAW, at least let us edit lot sizes. I could fit loads of small lots in, and that's just what I want.

I have been putting small buildings on large lots and using the lock mod. I have one setup that is really easy to play - three small trailers, each with a single Sim in, so only three Sims to play on that lot.

If you have levelled the whole map, then maybe start with a couple rolling into this new town and then get them to build from there. That would be quite a challenge. Start with just camping equipment :sunglasses:
    Awake.
    The day's divinity....
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited May 2015

You aren't alone. I have come to a decision once I get my new PC to accept TS2 and finally get it to get along with my new video card I will probably go back to TS2 full force. No matter what I do following all instructions to get set above an 800x600 resolution (following every tutorial out there) because the card is so new it can't understand it, I will stop playing or caring about the TS4. As soon as I can get all my old games or current games finally over into my new PC and working correctly which is a chore one by one.

It doesn't matter to me I can bulldoze them all. I still can't change the décor and or the surrounding areas so what's the point? It gets tiresome even rebuilding everything. Like for instance you can't change a lot size. What if I want a smaller lot in the fancier neighborhoods? Can't be done. What if I want the telephone poles and power poles removed in a the more populated area in WC? Can't be done. What if I want to build a hobbit world with all custom content like I did in TS2? Can't be done.

Sorry, but it is what it is and if you are bored it's no wonder. And with very little places to go in the game because these Sims can't even do stuff together other than go to a bar, and then they aren't really 'together' like in the TS2 group outings then what's the point?

They can't even pitch a ball to each other. I mean seriously what can they do 'together" other than play chess? Can they go out side and do anything together any of them? No, Kids can't even play tag, swing around, Mary Mack, or anything. It's not so much they have nowhere to go but they can't do one dang thing together. Can adults play any sort of interaction together other than tickle (which happens to be a romantic only) what is the point of this game?

Boredom is a symptom of nothing to do with them let alone take them anywhere. And then they don't even have any games in the public spaces other than chess. TS2's base game blows this game out of the water on interactions alone let alone places to go to do things.

I'm sorry but since I have tore down and rebuilt anything I have news for you, it doesn't get any better to do it again and again. And never will no matter because the concept is on the emotion and you using it as a way to gain rewards and goals or achievements, and is not on the Sim relating to it's kin, and or friends or interactions between them. It's one of the most boring games I have ever played.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    I like playing fantasy and survival style. It's just hard to do that, with out either of those elements. No seasons, no pets, no magic, not even hostile mobs that spawn like (were)wolves, bears, zombies, that could potentially hurt our sims and fight against. so playing how everyone else does is difficult and boring.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
    MasonGamer wrote: »
    I like playing fantasy and survival style. It's just hard to do that, with out either of those elements. No seasons, no pets, no magic, not even hostile mobs that spawn like (were)wolves, bears, zombies, that could potentially hurt our sims and fight against. so playing how everyone else does is difficult and boring.

I think this is the heart of it really, I think some form of conflict is missing. It is conflict that is at the heart of all drama or challenge.

I am currently using the aliens for this purpose - detention camps, yeah, I know :/ I had to come up with something!

Awake.
    The day's divinity....
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Hawkgirl wrote: »
    Why try something a little different, like a medieval town/kingdom and the big 50/50 park lot could be the main castle.

With Streets lights on every corner. Um, yeah, right. At least in TS2 I can remove all the stop signs. Remove any street lights, replace road with dirt road custom content. To make it seem it was out no man's land. In TS4 I am stuck with housing décor. So much for immersion.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • blueasbutterflyblueasbutterfly Posts: 3,425 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Why try something a little different, like a medieval town/kingdom and the big 50/50 park lot could be the main castle.

With Streets lights on every corner. Um, yeah, right. At least in TS2 I can remove all the stop signs. Remove any street lights, replace road with dirt road custom content. To make it seem it was out no man's land. In TS4 I am stuck with housing décor. So much for immersion.

In ts1, 2 and 3 I build neighborhoods and Sims from classic lit (as I've said elsewhere). No can do in ts4 for that exact reason. Charles Dickens didn't write about steamboats. I could level everything and bring in CC and make my Sims but it still wouldn't be right. The Forsytes would never pull those kinds of faces or take angry poops, and people visiting the Darcys would never dream of doing random push-ups in the living room. And I can't see Heathcliff standing around with a silly grin, either. It wasn't always perfect in other games, either, but it feels like blasphemy in ts4.
    toddlersig3_zps62792e0c.jpg

In ts1, 2 and 3 I build neighborhoods and Sims from classic lit (as I've said elsewhere). No can do in ts4 for that exact reason. Charles Dickens didn't write about steamboats. I could level everything and bring in CC and make my Sims but it still wouldn't be right. The Forsytes would never pull those kinds of faces or take angry poops, and people visiting the Darcys would never dream of doing random push-ups in the living room. And I can't see Heathcliff standing around with a silly grin, either. It wasn't always perfect in other games, either, but it feels like blasphemy in ts4.

Now, the Sims: Period Drama Edition - that I would buy :)
    Awake.
    The day's divinity....

I used to be able to do it well enough in the base game from 1-3. I still have a sims 3 save in Roaring Heights where I have Miss Fisher annoying all the policemen xD and have been working on making the Borgia family, complete with their contemporaries, in another save. The sims themselves weren't so over the top and goofy and... over-done in previous games. That's one of my biggest gripes with ts4. Can't make serious Sims. I do love period items and clothes and hair and all, but I can't put poor Jane Eyre in a Mr. Sausages world no matter what she's wearing.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited May 2015

IMHO, boredom sets in every game out there when played day in and day out. Now some games gameplay gets boring sooner than others. I just stop playing and move to another game until I get the urge to play or a new addition to the game comes out.

Post edited by Goldmoldar on
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
    edited May 2015

I used to be able to do it well enough in the base game from 1-3. I still have a sims 3 save in Roaring Heights where I have Miss Fisher annoying all the policemen xD and have been working on making the Borgia family, complete with their contemporaries, in another save. The sims themselves weren't so over the top and goofy and... over-done in previous games. That's one of my biggest gripes with ts4. Can't make serious Sims. I do love period items and clothes and hair and all, but I can't put poor Jane Eyre in a Mr. Sausages world no matter what she's wearing.

Yes, I would like to create more serious Sims. I have a real weakness for all period drama, but anything Thomas Hardy is my favourite. BTW, I know someone actually called Jane Eyre in real life :)
    Awake.
    The day's divinity....

Yes, I would like to create more serious Sims. I have a real weakness for all period drama, but anything Thomas Hardy is my favourite. BTW, I know someone actually called Jane Eyre in real life :)

I haven't gotten to Thomas Hardy yet, I paused my literature reading to study history so I can better understand the period as a whole. Because I am that nerdy. And no I didn't just start with the Victorians... I'm still on the Middle Ages xD ugh I'm a sucker. I can't decide whether it'd be awesome or not to be named Jane Eyre. It's a beautiful name but such a heart-wrenching story. I do hope the real life Jane Eyre has a better time than the fictional one, and I wouldn't put her with Mr Sausages either :)
    edited May 2015

I haven't gotten to Thomas Hardy yet, I paused my literature reading to study history so I can better understand the period as a whole. Because I am that nerdy. And no I didn't just start with the Victorians... I'm still on the Middle Ages xD ugh I'm a sucker. I can't decide whether it'd be awesome or not to be named Jane Eyre. It's a beautiful name but such a heart-wrenching story. I do hope the real life Jane Eyre has a better time than the fictional one, and I wouldn't put her with Mr Sausages either :)

Not gotten to Thomas Hardy, eh? Oh, you are in for a treat, let's say he doesn't do happy. Sublime beauty, yes, happy no.

Aye, no worries for Jane having a similar life to her namesake :) Funnily enough, she looks like you would think Jane Eyre would look and hails from the right part of England.

Apologies to OP for going offtopic :blush:
    Awake.
    The day's divinity....
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member

I think this is the heart of it really, I think some form of conflict is missing. It is conflict that is at the heart of all drama or challenge.

I am currently using the aliens for this purpose - detention camps, yeah, I know :/ I had to come up with something!

Yeah It's come down to the point of making a forest on my home lot and adding the debug Mysterious Tree to my lot and open Sylvan Glade and enable free build and living in this tiny "enchanted" world.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Simfan923Simfan923 Posts: 5,551 Member
    I honestly try to let my sims do something outside of their personality. It makes a much more interesting story. Like I have a teenage athlete that spends his time jogging at 5 AM and after school plays the piano. His father is an officer that loves to cook gourmet meals. The wife is a stay at home mom who enjoys to garden and painting and taking pictures. The middle son is a budding artist just like his mom. And the last child who is the only girl is a social butterfly who I have plans for her to own her own boutique.
    1FKDfKj.png

Yeah It's come down to the point of making a forest on my home lot and adding the debug Mysterious Tree to my lot and open Sylvan Glade and enable free build and living in this tiny "enchanted" world.

I have not actually yet discovered any of the secret lots. I have been spending more time on playing push me-pull you with autonomy on/off and other general experiments with the game mechanics and have only just started what I would call my proper playthrough - about 3 weeks ago.

The concept that you mention there fits well with my generalised plans with how I am currently playing. The idea of having a 'Philip Pullman' type doorway into a different world will work well for my 'plot'.
    Awake.
    The day's divinity....