Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can someone please explain the Legacy Challenge to me?

Hi Simmers,

I have tried so many times to understand the rules for the Legacy Challenge but for some reason every time I read it my brain turns into mush. I consider myself a bright girl but I just don't get it. Can someone please explain it to me like you were explaining it to a four-year-old?

Big hugs and big thanks,

-Rory

Comments

• have2admithave2admit Posts: 2,246 Member
    edited May 2015
    Haven't done it in Sims 4 yet but basically you create a Sim and put him/her on the biggest lot (50X50) with no house. They marry a NPC/Townie and keep going for 10 generations. :)

ETA: and NO cheating! :)
  • RoryPlaysTheSimsRoryPlaysTheSims Posts: 5,330 Member
    Have2admit, I actually have to admit that I absolutely love your builds and just downloaded your Grandma's Domain the other day. :)

As for the Challenge, it got confusing on the technical things. Succession laws... Like the nitty gritty of it.
    Heirs, bloodlines...
    Have2admit, I actually have to admit that I absolutely love your builds and just downloaded your Grandma's Domain the other day. :)

As for the Challenge, it got confusing on the technical things. Succession laws... Like the nitty gritty of it.

Thank you very much! Grandma's Domain was my first build for competition in Sims4. I did some for One Room, One Week, One Theme and Build n Share. I feel bad that I haven't gone back to those threads since GTW came out. Starting to get bored now so maybe I'll start building again. :)

Yeah, I wonder how the rules for the challenge changed with alien abductions! lol :D
    That's how I came across your build. I was scanning Rosemow's post about competitions. Grandma's Domain rocked. :)

I didn't even realize how the challenge would be with alien abductions. I read the Sims 3 Legacy Challenge (by Pinstar) to see if I could catch on, then I read the Sims 4 one. My brain hurts.
  • yogurrt_toobyogurrt_toob Posts: 51 Member
    > @Rorygilmore34 said:
    > Have2admit, I actually have to admit that I absolutely love your builds and just downloaded your Grandma's Domain the other day. :)
    >
    > As for the Challenge, it got confusing on the technical things. Succession laws... Like the nitty gritty of it.

It's best to either have the rules saved somewhere on your background (with notepad) or to print them out. Planning helps too, even if you can think of a general idea of what each generation will achieve, so for example I would start with a gardener/fisher for the essence of life from the cowplant and easy simoleons with the less bills and perfect garden reward trait. It would also give my sim plenty of free time when I would need to start focusing on raising a family and start the foundations for the future generations. Then I'd start my next generation based on whatever my previous generations accomplished. Having a full garden from the first generation would compliment a chef/mixologist which would then compliment a sim who relies on building friendships and throwing parties, etc.) Handiness would be a good skill to use early on too so you could upgrade all the appliances for better moodlets. If you can't get enough essence of life to keep all the heirs alive it helps to have the first few generations take traits that net frequent and rewarding whims (like collecting, which nets 100 satisfaction points for picking up old gems, fossils, metals and frogs that you already discovered and have laying around.)

Personally I find playing a household with several sims boring now because I can no longer micromanage everyone unless I'm at home so everyone just stays home. Needless to say if there was a "stir crazy" moodlet again my group of sims would constantly have it.
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,752 Member
    That's how I came across your build. I was scanning Rosemow's post about competitions. Grandma's Domain rocked. :)

I didn't even realize how the challenge would be with alien abductions. I read the Sims 3 Legacy Challenge (by Pinstar) to see if I could catch on, then I read the Sims 4 one. My brain hurts.

But most people have a little problem with culling generations. So if you aren't aversed to mods gets the no-culling mod from MTS
    6adMCGP.gif
    @rosemow is a major sweetheart and the thread is more of a sharing than a competition. You should join! The people there are really awesome and encouraging.

I did the Legacy Challenge many years ago when it first started. There wasn't much else to it other that in my first post. Main difference being that when you bought the largest lot, you were broke! Heirs, ect., were up to you and how you wanted to play it. :)
    > @Rorygilmore34 said:
    > Have2admit, I actually have to admit that I absolutely love your builds and just downloaded your Grandma's Domain the other day. :)
    >
    > As for the Challenge, it got confusing on the technical things. Succession laws... Like the nitty gritty of it.

It's best to either have the rules saved somewhere on your background (with notepad) or to print them out. Planning helps too, even if you can think of a general idea of what each generation will achieve, so for example I would start with a gardener/fisher for the essence of life from the cowplant and easy simoleons with the less bills and perfect garden reward trait. It would also give my sim plenty of free time when I would need to start focusing on raising a family and start the foundations for the future generations. Then I'd start my next generation based on whatever my previous generations accomplished. Having a full garden from the first generation would compliment a chef/mixologist which would then compliment a sim who relies on building friendships and throwing parties, etc.) Handiness would be a good skill to use early on too so you could upgrade all the appliances for better moodlets. If you can't get enough essence of life to keep all the heirs alive it helps to have the first few generations take traits that net frequent and rewarding whims (like collecting, which nets 100 satisfaction points for picking up old gems, fossils, metals and frogs that you already discovered and have laying around.)

Personally I find playing a household with several sims boring now because I can no longer micromanage everyone unless I'm at home so everyone just stays home. Needless to say if there was a "stir crazy" moodlet again my group of sims would constantly have it.

Yogurrt_toob, thank you for the great advice. I wouldn't have even thought of what each generation will achieve and how it will affect all generations. That's brilliant!
    MadameLee wrote: »

But most people have a little problem with culling generations. So if you aren't aversed to mods gets the no-culling mod from MTS

MadameLee, thank you for your advice. I am so terrified of mods. I have an old computer that is limping along, I'm afraid mods will kill it off. I am soooooooo bummed about this whole culling issue Sims 4 has. Does it really delete older generations from the family tree? There is a challenge that I made up that I really want to do, but it has at least 10 generations of about 5 different families. How far back does the culling occur? Has EA heard our pleas about culling?
    So is the Legacy Challenge basically picking a Succession Law? Start with a 50x50 lot?

Succession Laws:
    http://www.simslegacychallenge.com/sims-4-legacy-challenge-rules-succession-laws/

What does the, "Leader of the family" do?
    What does the, "Leader of the family" do?

the marry a townie, get a job, and have kids to be the heir and spare. I do my own version of it
    6adMCGP.gif
    That's exactly what I needed, MadameLee. Awesome. Thank you. With everyone's advice and suggestions, I think I'm ready to take this huge plunge. Do you know anything about the, "Culling?" How far back does it go? Is "culling" actually when Sims get deleted from the family tree?
    That's exactly what I needed, MadameLee. Awesome. Thank you. With everyone's advice and suggestions, I think I'm ready to take this huge plunge. Do you know anything about the, "Culling?" How far back does it go? Is "culling" actually when Sims get deleted from the family tree?

Depends my first 3 parent generations are all gone now. and they also disappered from the tree as well.
    6adMCGP.gif
    MadameLee, that's awful. I'm so sorry. We spend so much time with the Sims we create, it's neat to look back through family trees and have, "remember-when" moments. I wonder why EA is doing this culling? I had a very close Sim friend pass away and I wasn't even notified. It was so sad. I pulled out my phone to call her and saw that her picture was a ghost. I miss getting notified when people die.
  • sunshineandsimoleonssunshineandsimoleons Posts: 8,413 Member
    The culling is so the game can perform better on lower end computers. There is a limit of 180 sims/town and once you get passed that sims start getting deleted. I also recommend the no culling mod, I use it and it's great. It won't wreck your computer.
    WLfAA9V.png
    The culling is so the game can perform better on lower end computers. There is a limit of 180 sims/town and once you get passed that sims start getting deleted. I also recommend the no culling mod, I use it and it's great. It won't wreck your computer.

So "culling" isn't for family trees? Maybe I have this whole culling concept wrong. I thought culling was about family trees (on the genetics info) being deleted, like they never existed.
    I have 8 families to make (from a favorite TV show of mine) and a few have extensive family trees. Some families have over 50 people (most of which are dead). I have to run my game on low settings. I want to add the culling mod but I'm just so concerned it may end my computer.

So, 180 Sims/town allowed. Hmmm.

Are people in family trees deleted? Like if I have a family of 50 people, maybe 30 alive, will it delete the dead people from the family tree?

I hope I'm making sense. My coffee never kicked in.
  • sunshineandsimoleonssunshineandsimoleons Posts: 8,413 Member
    edited May 2015

So "culling" isn't for family trees? Maybe I have this whole culling concept wrong. I thought culling was about family trees (on the genetics info) being deleted, like they never existed.

It is, lol. The mod won't wreck your computer. It has been tested by a lot of us here so we know it isn't a corrupt file. :) it just stops everyone from being deleted.
    WLfAA9V.png
    Does the mod allow more than 180 Sims/town as well?