Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

When did you start modding and using CC. Why?

kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
edited May 2015 in General Mods Discussion
I haven't seen a topic along these lines lately. I thought it might be a little fun and fresh to reflect on why many of us started modding and using CC in our games. How did you first find out about them? What drew you to them?

It's just a little something I was thinking about all the sudden.

When I played S1, I never knew about mods or CC until near the end. I went crazy with CC. Mostly with cupboards. Now, I just use a mod to make certain motives static if/when I need/want to.

When I played S2, I started modding and using CC probably somewhere around the 2nd or 3rd EP. I got addicted. I needed hair! I needed clothes! I needed, OMG, just about anything I could find that suited my taste! I also discovered the wonderful world of MTS and Pescado for nixxing those pesky little things in the game I wanted to avoid. After a while, I started to realize I had WAY too much CC. More than half of it, I never used and I've respectively trimmed down my folder since then. It's only a meagre 6.71GB now.

When I first started S4, I searched for mods to remove annoyances again, but CC hasn't really got me itching for it this time around, and now, I play both mod and CC free.

Part of me feels using mods and CC is part of an addiction, for me, anyway. Part of me feels freedom in turning the game into something I see in my head, and part of me feels less stress when a wonderful modder comes along and removes something that just doesn't work for me, gamewise.

What about the rest of you?

When did you start?

When did you discover the wonderful world of modding and CC?

Did someone introduce you to it?

Are you finding it hard to play without it now that you've discovered it?

I'm hoping this thread will be a little fun for people to reminisce, for me, the thought kind of took me down memory lane.
Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5

Comments

• Options
    ASDF0716ASDF0716 Posts: 1,703 Member
    edited May 2015
    I started using mods to fix the glaring holes in the game that Maxis hasn't bothered to fix. I started using CC pretty much within the first month when I realized I hated almost all of the clothes in the base game.
  • Options
    mariesummersmariesummers Posts: 598 Member
    I started using cc back in the sims 1 days because not to be mean to Maxis but there stuff was awful until 4 came out.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    I learned about CC with Sims 2, and I used it almost entirely for furniture recolors. I was really into furniture recolors for some reason. But not 6.71 GB worth of "really into" it ;)

With Sims 3, I learned about mods when I was checking the Sims 3 forums for ways to make the game play better for me as a rotational player. I never had any Sims 3 CC, only mods.

With Sims 4, I'm happily using mods to tweak the game. Dev settings aren't to my taste? A modder will probably tweak them my direction. I've also got some CC -- again, mostly stuff that tweaks the content a bit, or adds more options (and yes, furniture mostly, though I just bookmarked some gorgeous 1950s-type hair in curlers).

I feel absolutely no need to play without mods. Web developers create APIs and game developers open code to modders on purpose, not by accident, so that people can find their own ways to do things with their product. The game is on-purpose tweakable; I can't write mods myself (and have lots else I'd rather keep doing than learn how), so I enjoy finding gamer-created ways to tweak the game in useful or interesting directions, or just to suit my taste. Could I play without them? Sure. But I can't think of a good reason to bother: they aren't a crutch or a kind of cheating or anything like that.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    PiperbirdPiperbird Posts: 4,161 Member
    I used a little bit of CC in TS3, when I found some really beautiful hairs and furniture. But it seemed to cause troubles with my game so I ended up getting rid of all of it. I have been tempted in TS4, but I am honestly just too lazy to deal with removing it for each patch and then finding out if it still works. There are things I wish I had, but the wish is not yet greater than the lazy.
    Visit me in the gallery! CC-free builds under origin name Piperbird!
    06-01-15_5-18nbspPM_zps8s8jcirw.png
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    Hi :)

LoL! I started using mods in The Sims. . . near the end when I found the modded espresso machine. I put that on a lot of community lots, needs just tanked in no time in The Sims. Plus it took so long to make a friend in that game- for me. XD

I used hacks for TS2 to keep annoyances down- like the bed making.
    I had fun with Body Shop making my own clothes and editing hair to the colors I wanted. I don't think I ever got more than a 2GBs of CC for TS2 but I still want it. It's the only way to have some wonderful Medieval towns.

Let's See- for The Sims 3 I mostly used mods for CAW. I had only a little CC when it first came out but I didn't use it much. I mostly used SP mod and Twallan's mods for CAW- Porter/MC/MC cheats

Right now... I do have a few for later, if I play again. I love CC to make the game more fun for me. I really appreciate all the modders out there. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    sunshineandsimoleonssunshineandsimoleons Posts: 8,413 Member
    I never even knew it existed for sims 1, and part of 2. I didnt join the forums until 3, and thats where I started. Now I use hundreds of mods/cc for sims 2, because I can haha. I use a lot for 4 too.
    WLfAA9V.png
  • Options
    Raynic781Raynic781 Posts: 205 Member
    Sims 2 was my first sims game. Did anyone watch those sims 2 movies on YouTube? I used to always do that and I saw how cool the sims looked and I couldn't stand looking at the vanilla sims anymore so I just started downloading CC to make them look different. I didn't start downloading mods to fix gameplay issues, to add new options, etc. until Sims 3. I just recently installed the Sims 2 again and I immediately downloaded a whole lot of CC, so I know what you mean when you say mods and cc is an addiction.
  • Options
    DrnSimmerDrnSimmer Posts: 473 Member
    edited May 2015
    I've never used mod's probably because i couldn't figure them out when i first started Sims on the PC. I was pretty young.
    But I started using CC with Sims 2.
    I used to go onto the sims 2 website where they had the exchange, which is how it all started. From there I moved onto other CC websites.
    I was addicted. Its all I would use to make my sims. And I had sooooo much of it.
    I ran into issues of downloading stuff without meshes and it started messing up my game.

When I finally moved onto Sims 3 my sims 2 game was so clogged up with CC that I made the decision to go CC free and keep my sims 3 clean.
    (I also went from playing on a desktop with sims 2 to playing on a laptop with sims 3, so i was unsure how the game would even run on an average laptop)

Now with sims 4 I was planning on doing the same thing as sims 3, until I decided it was time for a new laptop. At this point I figured I would try some CC in game on the old laptop and start fresh with no CC on the new one. Well lets just say i'm hooked again. But now i keep to only downloading a few clutter items and one or two hair styles. That's about it. I really like the look of the content already in game. I love the hairs and clothes and everything.

side note I'm offically going to try sims 3 again (in the process of downloading the games on my new laptop)
    And i plan on downloading quite a bit of CC
    TszwvJw.png
  • Options
    UmbralFlowerUmbralFlower Posts: 4,494 Member
    edited May 2015
    Oh geeez. I can't remember how I found out about cc and mods.
    All I know is that it was during ts1, and I was soooo young that I had no real idea what I was doing. The only cc I was able to successfully get was when I downloaded other people's sims. Other than that, I wasn't allowed to download because my dad didn't understand mods because back then they were called hacks.

I didn't really use mods or cc with ts2 until around the time Nightlife came out. Mostly because I didn't know where to safely download. Then I stumbled upon mts. And my addiction began.

I couldn't play ts3 without cc and mods. The vanilla look was not to my taste. And my game didn't run without Nraas mods. And I couldn't live without any kind of SP mod. Even with all that, I couldn't get into the game long enough to actually play it.

Now, I'm picky on what I download. I think with ts4, the thing I download most is furniture.

ETA: I like the freedom CC gives me when it comes to what I want in my game. It's kinda like shopping online with no money limit. I get to pick and choose and just go crazy if I want...or just get what I think I might need.

I have testing files I place cc in, and if I don't like it, I take it out...kind of like returning it :p
    ~*-*-*~ My SimLit: The Echoed Fragments || A Tale of Love and Fame ~*-*-*~
  • Options
    herosesims3herosesims3 Posts: 10 New Member
    umm... ive never used it for sims 1 or 2 ( dont have them ) but on the sims 3 im actully getting interested in trying afew hairs myself...but if you have glitches remember to stop for afew moments to fix them
  • Options
    AmiutzaAmiutza Posts: 1,796 Member
    I never really played sims before the forth one, but I knew about mods and cc. So I started using it from the very beginning because I love a million options.

And honestly, it's saved me money in real life: I go cc shopping instead of makeup I don't really need or my 70th pair of shoes. I have an addiction, lol.
    hhHD2XB.png
    My tumblr - A world of clutter and color
  • Options
    CrackFoxCrackFox Posts: 1,507 Member
    edited May 2015
    I started downloading cc for the Sims 1 from sites that have long sinced closed. I can't even remember the name of most of them. I started getting stuff because I love filling my homes with useless decor, clutter etc. I like my homes to looked lived in and that wasn't really achievable with the amount of content suppplied in the game, never has been, never will be really.

It's mostly free and the majority of it is as good or better than the default items in game. It wasn't until late in the Sims 2 when I started getting actual mods as in content that would change the game behavior somehow. I didn't think twice about doing that either. Enriched my gaming experience inexplicably.
  • Options
    VlaxitovVlaxitov Posts: 5,798 Member
    edited May 2015
    I'm pretty sure it was an at the time girlfriend who turned me onto TSR during TS1, from there I checked it all out and have been checking it out ever since. Why do I mod or use CC? Because it can expand the game's content by like ten times or more, that's even after your turn your nose up to the mediocre stuff. TS2-3 had huge amounts of CC, but TS1 had a crazy ridiculous amount of it.
  • Options
    GaiaPumaGaiaPuma Posts: 2,278 Member
    edited May 2015
    I have had mods and cc since sims 1 lol. I think since the beginning they started making them XD I just like to be creative.

I exaggerated in sims 2 because I loved the game and I was amazed at the graphics and we could have cool accessories and amazing things we didn't have in sims 1. I had like 10 Gb of CC once and my game was so bloated took 15 min to load lol. I tried to cut it but was too late for it.

Sims 3, I never enjoyed the gameplay so I was not into CC much, then I hated how the clothes looked like in sims 3, so ugly, I had to get more clothes, but in the beginning we didn't have as many cool options as sims 2 had, it came later the good meshes, etc. But I always thought they looked super ugly the meshes in sims 3. So I tried CC, but the installer was so so slow, we couldn't just drag them into the mod folder and I hate that, I thought they made that way so it would make harder for us to get 3rd party CC and make us want to buy directly from the store, I was kinda revolted by it and the prices at the store. So I kinda gave up Sims 3 after Supernatural, but I never cared much about it to play a lot. Played the less of all sims and went back to sims 2 and downloaded even more CC -.-

Sims 4 made me want to start making CC because I like the art style and the palette of the game and the sims are so beautiful and you can make them so varied and the meshes of clothing dress them well. But the accessories were so ugly, those earrings and necklaces, I had to change that plastic look the jewels and jewelry had so I started with a recolor of earrings, I thought it would be super hard and impossible before starting, now I even try doing my own meshes with blender :) I made some wedding veil a long one, some tiaras, crowns, dresses meshes. I really enjoy, I was more into doing things than playing the game lol. Right now I am more playing than making CC, but I will come back to make more. What makes me annoyed with publishing CC is that you have to be sure of all details and make pics to put online, etc, that takes so much time, because I tend to over-criticize myself lol.
    (I have much less CC now than sims 2, I kinda control myself and download only what I really love, I have like half Gb only :) )
  • Options
    monkeypants1monkeypants1 Posts: 320 Member
    Been using cc and mods since the very first game. The fantastic and generous modders are the entire reason I stick with these games for so long. I really don't know how people play without all of the super creative stuff the community comes up with.
  • Options
    catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    I didn't start using mods until TS4, have about three.

Just today I downloaded my first cc because EA hasn't given us much new hair and what we have looks sad.
  • Options
    I'll also add that TS4 is probably the most forgiving version of the sims I've seen so far when it comes to mods and CC.
  • Options
    Konan_NorrisKonan_Norris Posts: 211 Member
    I started in the mid 70's if I remember correctly. I read that Elvis used mods.
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

giphy.gif

• Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,562 Member
    I didn't really start playing PC type games until my grown daughter introduced me to the Sims2. I heard about mods and cc, in the course of reading the boards, but yours truly was just too timid even to play around with boolprop, let alone a mod. I did have a few cc hairs, that quickly led to other cc, you know how it goes.

I really got into mods with TS3. That game was a hot mess and when my superstar singer Sim and his bride got stuck in ShangSimla, I came to the boards for some help. Among the responses was one from Twallen, himself. He was very understanding and kind and pointed me toward his Traveler mod. I didn't want my singer Sim trapped forever (the game kept crashing whenever I tried to bring him and his wife home), so I followed the link Twallen gave me to NRaas, Industries. I had a lot to read in order to understand how, where and why I was to install said mod into my game. So, after all the tutorial help via Wiki, I installed that mod. Long story, short, I found myself installing many, many more NRaas mods until my game was actually stable. Then I went in for some game-improving mods of his. Master Controller, Story Progression and a few others. I never looked back. So far, I'm having very little luck in the mod department with this iteration. I had a mod that changed the number of days each life stage lasted, better than the way it is now, only after a patch it no longer worked. And, so far, it hasn't been updated or at least it's not working in my game. Nor, have I found a need for cc, so far. I got a tad crazy in TS2 with too much cc.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    Vlaxitov wrote: »
    I'll also add that TS4 is probably the most forgiving version of the sims I've seen so far when it comes to mods and CC.

I do find meshing and creating CC much friendlier than S2. I keep creating things, but I'm still not using any of them. I don't really know why I'm doing it other than I'm skeptical of a patch messing it all up. Right now, I figure I'll just hang onto it in a safe place and go crazy near the end of its cycle. That's when I really went crazy with S2's game altering mods. I just really hate falling in love with a mod or a piece of CC and have a patch break it only to find the creator is no longer updating it.
  • Options
    kremesch73 wrote: »

I do find meshing and creating CC much friendlier than S2.

A single bad texture with TS2 back in the day could make your PC get up and slap you to the ground.
  • Options
    edited May 2015

A single bad texture with TS2 back in the day could make your PC get up and slap you to the ground.

I know. I've also cried many nights over my wonderful new mesh exploding all over the screen. All that work. My blood, sweat, tears, only to try to figure out what the heck I did wrong. Double polys were also a nightmare from other creators. Thankfully I knew how to fix that. Then apartment life and free time had me combing through my downloads to find the bookcases, fridges, stoves, etc to update them with simPE so they'd work correctly with the right options, only to discover that no one named their creations properly. That made me spend more time renaming files and categorizing them in folders. I spent even more weeks on it. I just don't want to do it again. I want to wait until I feel I won't have to. But I love to create.
  • Options
    ericaduhericaduh Posts: 670 Member
    Ive always used CC, ever since I learned of it (ts1). Personally I cant play a game without CC. Nothing against the game, its just my personal preference to have a wide selections of things.
    my simblr - http://ericalovessims.tumblr.com
    origin id & other social networks: ericaduh
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    The thing about CC is I've always been real picky with it. If it veers off the rails trying too hard to look real especially with the sims themselves, you end up with this look.

10g07tf.jpg

I've always liked to keep my CC reasonably within the art style of the game.

• Options
    GaiaPumaGaiaPuma Posts: 2,278 Member

I know. I've also cried many nights over my wonderful new mesh exploding all over the screen. All that work. My blood, sweat, tears, only to try to figure out what the heck I did wrong. Double polys were also a nightmare from other creators. Thankfully I knew how to fix that. Then apartment life and free time had me combing through my downloads to find the bookcases, fridges, stoves, etc to update them with simPE so they'd work correctly with the right options, only to discover that no one named their creations properly. That made me spend more time renaming files and categorizing them in folders. I spent even more weeks on it. I just don't want to do it again. I want to wait until I feel I won't have to. But I love to create.

Me too. I hated that I had 50% of my fridges, bookcases, etc not working with the functions of Freetime and apt and I got confused lol because there were 19209342023 of them in game lol