Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Stop the culling, particularly generational culling

MsPhyMsPhy Posts: 5,055 Member
Okay, so @SimStaffGabriel said in another thread (with special guest appearance by @SimGuruEugi):

But the OP was about the game culling over 7 generations of her sims. Where is an answer about that?? We are being ignored too.

Hello,

The original topic of this thread was concerning the culling of generations by the game, and how the OP thought that would affect their ability to accomplish the achievements listed in their post.

I will however encourage a thread be created in the "Ideas Corner" for the removal of generations culling, as of right now the game and the culling of generations as far as I know is working correctly, therefore any wanted changes to this system should be brought up in the ideas section :)!

Hope this answers your questions! I just wanted to bring attention to the answer being given by one of my colleagues!

Have a great day!

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/832178/ea-explain-yourself-why-the-outright-lies/p2

So here it is: Please stop generational culling, i.e., please stop culling dead played Sims. This makes them no longer show on the family tree (why make a family tree that can show 10 generations if generations get culled after just a few?). It makes their ghosts go away, and some of us like our family ghosts. It ruins the fun of legacy play. Yes, we can keep family trees outside the game, but we should not have to.

Actually, how about stopping culling completely? Or if it is so very important for game performance, how about giving us an option to flag the Sims we don't want culled, ever? Or how about culling the ghosts of dead townies who never lived in a house, if you must reduce the surplus population?

From what SimStaffGabriel said, it seemed like this was the first time the problem had ever been mentioned/noticed, and I KNOW that is not the case? I know there have been threads in the bug section, feedback section, general Sims 4 section. Okay, so here's one in Ideas. Least the original thought be lost, I will repeat: Stop the culling, please!

Comments

• ldmarkoldmarko Posts: 5,487 Member
    edited May 2015
    Yes, please. Also stop generating redundant NPCs and then there'd be no need for culling. I get that a few are needed, but does the detective career really need a dozen officers hanging around the station hogging up all the computers? And I have two sims in the science career, but they're never at work at the same time, why can't they be coworkers? And I know the medical career can treat our played sims, because I've got one little hypochondriac child that keeps showing up every time I play my doctor sim, yet it still generates too many NPC patients. Letting our played sims in on the GTW action more can help with the population control.

It also doesn't help that TS4 is no better at dressing NPCs than TS3 was (okay maybe not that bad, but they still don't have a lot of dress sense).
    Gallery ID: LDM2
  • cherparcherpar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Seriously this must be an ideas thread?? The culling system cannot be functioning correctly as features, such as book of life, no longer work as the dead sim is culled, meaning you can't bring them back. @SimGuruEugi I'd be grateful for any explanation as to how the culling system is working properly.

Also so I'm supposed to get new coworkers and new employees everyday because the culling system removes them? @SimGuruGraham
  • sdhoeysdhoey Posts: 1,876 Member
    I agree, I play generational challenges and being able to revive/bring back the spouse at the end of the challenge is part of the story but now it's totally ruined the storyline and as stated my family is gone. We should be able to check off in the options something like "NO CULLING ACTIVE HOUSEHOLD" OR something on that order. @SimGuruGraham @SimStaffGabriel @SimGuruEugi
  • jonilla1jonilla1 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Yes please, this has been in my wanted list for some time. I've got a mod to stop this but it would be great to have the culling removed without a mod so i don't have to be worried about it getting outdated and break the game or something.
    Origin EA ID: Xaldin257 Friend requests are welcome.

Some of my creations in the gallery use CC so remember to enable them in the gallery's options to see them all.
  • litabelaqualitabelaqua Posts: 4,322 Member
    On the one hand the game encourages generational play and on the other it prevents it. we need to keep our family tree and generational sims intact. If modders can do it then surely Devs can.
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    I'd prefer an in-game solution to the mod. With the mod, every time a Sim adopts, it keeps the mom-and-kid/baby households. An in-game solution might be more nuanced.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • egwarhammeregwarhammer Posts: 5,752 Member
    This has been an issue since September. As soon as generational players hit the 3rd round or so, they started having problems. Here's one thread from Bugs & Issues.

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/780538/sims-disappearing-from-relationship-panel-tab/p1

I'm still gobsmacked that apparently it's just NOW reaching guru/dev/etc radar? Seriously?

I'm also in total agreement with @MsPhy and everybody else. Some great ideas. I'd love to be able to flag sims I don't want removed from the game. I'd love it if townie generating didn't fill up the 180 cap in 4 sim-days. Culling needs to slow way down, townie generating needs to slow way down, and that ridiculous cap of 180 TOTAL sims ever per game needs to be set on fire.

Thank goodness for modders. Although I hold my breath every post patch load, I have 200 sims now already and if that mod breaks I will NOT be happy with losing any of them. I shouldn't stress over a game, but I DO play with my townies, and I don't want the game removing anybody at all, ever. Give me a popup that my count is interfering with game performance, and let me decide how to handle it.

You said, "You Rule."

How so? The game pretty much plays itself whether we're pushing buttons or not, randomly assigning jobs and (fake) romances and friends you know nothing about. And deleting same. It could be so much more enjoyable, if only some of what's already available was just tweaked a little more.

I'm really hoping that Quick Kiss thing was a shot at fixing the incest bug. And I do like the new loading screens.

I don't want you to think I'm a hater, I'm not, but there are still definitely problems (culling, incest, job-giving system) needing to be addressed, and I hope that happens.

Down with Culling!!!!!!
  • egwarhammeregwarhammer Posts: 5,752 Member
    I'd prefer an in-game solution to the mod. With the mod, every time a Sim adopts, it keeps the mom-and-kid/baby households. An in-game solution might be more nuanced.

I've always had the mom/baby households stick around. Which mod are you thinking affected it, the culling one? Because I didn't start using that one till pretty recently.

However, I have used a few of @Scumbumbo 's pregnancy/baby mods as well... could be those, maybe...

Anybody NOT playing modded who has adopted, who can tell us how it works in a "regular" game? Do the other adoptive families vanish after you pick your kid, or do they stick around?

Some of my adoptive moms have jobs...

I'm really curious now!
  • sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    I find it very hard to believe that the gurus only just noticed this issue. If so they need to actually spend some time on the forums because it's a very common complaint-even on their own official feedback thread!

Essentially the culling makes family trees redundant. They were supposed to be a concession to family players but we've barely had them and already issues are showing through. Even if they want to cull sims-don't full ones players play with or whose sims are close to number one, and number two they could at the very least keep a tiny thumbnail image of your beloved sims next to their name rather than that awful silhouette deal we've got right now.

Come on team, we know you can do better than this!
  • PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    Someone said they didn't know about it? Seriously? I know there have been quite a few threads that talked about it. My entire family plot cemetery was culled leaving me with empty tombstones and no ghosts....and I know I've posted about it several times. I started to feel like I was being redundant but I also know that the more you post the more chance you have of being seen by a guru.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    I'm pretty sure they know of it, it is working as intended, the genealogy tree is supposed to be culled of its furthest away ancestors. So it's not really a bug or an issue, more like something the players wish work another way.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited May 2015
    Neia wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure they know of it, it is working as intended, the genealogy tree is supposed to be culled of its furthest away ancestors. So it's not really a bug or an issue, more like something the players wish work another way.

I think, according to patch notes and the official site, family trees are supose to save up to ten generations, after the 10th the last generation get's "erased".

I belive the culling issue is happening to much early generations?
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
    It was 4 up and 5 down from the active Sim according to the patch notes. Though it's a bit hard to say if those "erased" ancestors are culled because they are too far away in the family tree or because the neighboorhood has reached the 180-Sims limit.

• PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

I think, according to patch notes and the official site, family trees are supose to save up to ten generations, after the 10th the last generation get's "erased".

I belive the culling issue is happening to much early generations?

I'll have to try it again because my culled family plot was not generational. I made a family plot on my active lot (I wasn't playing rotationally) and it was all adults. I added Sims as needed for cow plant *coughs* food. I was working my way toward a story and one day I opened my game to find all tombstones blank and the ghosts gone.

"People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright

Umm my family tree of nine generations was culled, with all the dead sims gone. This was several generations and has no relationship to the first generation being deleted because the 11 th is born. From the same patch, all other dead NPC sims were also deleted. ( march 26 patch)
    cherpar wrote: »

Umm my family tree of nine generations was culled, with all the dead sims gone. This was several generations and has no relationship to the first generation being deleted because the 11 th is born. From the same patch, all other dead NPC sims were also deleted. ( march 26 patch)

It may be the 180-Sims culling you have seen here, it removes dead Sims first and plenty of people were reporting overzealous culling after the march 26 patch.

Between the genealogy pruning and the 180-Sims culling, having a family tree with 10 generations is quite an achievement :/
    cherpar wrote: »

It may be the 180-Sims culling you have seen here, it removes dead Sims first and plenty of people were reporting overzealous culling after the march 26 patch.

Between the genealogy pruning and the 180-Sims culling, having a family tree with 10 generations is quite an achievement :/

Yes that is very true, it stems from the 180 sim limit. For me, however, before the march 26 patch, my game retained dead sims and removed unhoused townies first. I had assumed the game retained dead sims for ghosts and using the book of life. Many have complained that counting dead sims ( including myself) in the 180 limit is silly, as many of them are unwanted and 180 limit is reached very quickly in generational play.

So it seemed ( for me) they changed something in the March 26 patch which targeted dead sims. While in theory, I'm ok with this - it doesn't preserve my active family dead sims meaning the tree is messed up and the book of life no longer works on my dead sims.

However by installing a back up and using the no culling mod, my game is ok.

So I still believe the culling system is not working properly . For me the book of life is useless without the no culling mod. Anyhow this is how it has been in my game without the no culling mod.
  • BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 2,130 Member
    I agree, you guys need a no cull family, friends setting in the game..while other sims can be culled.
    giphy.gif

• halimali1980halimali1980 Posts: 8,246 Member
    On the one hand the game encourages generational play and on the other it prevents it. we need to keep our family tree and generational sims intact. If modders can do it then surely Devs can.

Totally agree.
    That is why I play the sims. to go back and enjoy looking at my family tree.
    Everything I post is an opinion here and I think every post of others is as well.
    giphy.gif
  • MsPhyMsPhy Posts: 5,055 Member
    SimStaffGabriel didn't say the developers did not know of the problem, but from what I quoted up at the top, it sounded like she was saying no one was going to pay attention to it unless we posted it in Ideas. Litabelaqua then posted it in Ideas, but it was promptly moved (to either Feedback or Bugs, can't remember now). So I started this thread, quoting that SimStaffGabriel said to put it in Ideas.
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    Hi :)

I'll add my voice to wanting to have it working to let us protect certain families from the Culling. *Ghosts of the Family Included- maybe a Cemetery where we can Manage the Dead to remove some if we need to* :)
  • AyumapAyumap Posts: 3,425 Member
    Posting to show support. The culling system needs some serious looking into. Family players are already crippled with the sims 4 core and culling our families and friends away makes it worse.

Even if family players are not cared for / cared about less (doesn't matter if it's true or not) this also affects every other type of player. People have even been reporting recently that ALL the sims in their game are getting deleted...
    2m60a6q.jpg
    *There's nothing wrong with loving the Sims 4, there's also nothing wrong with seeking improvements.
    A list of Mods I use.|My Sims 4 Mod and CC "Master" post. Helpful Links included.
  • gonz10gonz10 Posts: 108 Member
    edited May 2015
    Yes! No to culling friends and family. Call it the "friends and family benefit." I had planned to add Alexander Goth to the family as a ghost, but his ghost never had a chance to appear before he was culled. Also sad when parents or friends are culled. It would be nice for a sim to have a childhood friend through their lifetimes without playing the friend.

EDA: I also now have sims who are related but do not recognize each other as family once grandparents/parents are culled. Really hope they don't autonomously flirt after Grandma's culled.
  • firefly4477firefly4477 Posts: 128 Member
    Why would they even think we would be OK with deleting Sims we created? What happened to the "You create! You control! You rule!" campaign? Sigh. Gurus, can you all just put back everything you took out/deleted? Then maybe we can all finally play in peace and happiness. I'll even take my non-object burrito babies back while you're at it.
  • AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    edited May 2015
    double post.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.