Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Aurora Skies Boho Chic Make-over contest. Win a World! *Winners Announced*

1171819202123...Next

Comments

• Options
    Misscow1PMisscow1P Posts: 366 Member
    @RaeNic I'm so sorry to hear. I lost a family member earlier this year and it can be really tough. I'm glad you're starting to feel a bit better.

I finished the family and will be starting on a home for them soon. I meant to take a picture of the whole family, but it didn't show up in my launcher! I have a picture of Cinnomin though!
    Screenshot_4.jpg
    This is Cinnomin Lahti, the family horse :)
  • Options
    SilvakristiinaSilvakristiina Posts: 444 Member
    @Misscow1P, oh they have a Finnish name! Nice :wink: I can't wait for the family!
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Wuhuu, I got the pictures! :blush: Okay, they're really not that good because of the camera quality, but I'm going back this summer! With my parents, boyfriend and my mother-in-law candidate... :smiley: Then I can get a proper camera with me :)

I was on a Midsummer's Eve's (Juhannus) vacation in Åland a week ago. It's a big holiday in Finland to celebrate the midsummer, as the name suggest, but it's not really the middle of the summer today, more like the beginning of it. Last year it hailed in the Midsummer and this summer has been historically cool. As we joke, Finland's summer is short and with little snow. As now said, the joke doesn't really work in English... But I managed to burn my nose! :smile:

Åland is a Swedish speaking autonomous region in Finland. It consist of main island where thei capital Mariehamn is located and many smaller islands. People are often very nice and smiling, but some of them wouldn't like to use Finnish even if they could and they seem to have more like a Swedish culture than Finnish. They are very proud of their legacy and every where you look you see Ålands flags, maybe with either Finnish or Swedish flag or both. A funny fact, there aren't that much cars, so each registeration number (Three letters and three numbers as in Finland) begins with "ÅL" :smiley:

We spent first two nights in Kökar island, one night in Föglö island and the last again in Kökar. I really enjoyed the whole vacation and it was just too perfect to be true until the last nights food poisoning :smiley: We ate well, new potatoes with dill and butter, salmon, pike perch and mackerel and salads and fresh local bread straight from the bakery... On the continent we have a tradition to burn huge bonfires by a lake but in Åland they don't have them, instead they have maypoles. I have seen them before when the flowers and leaves were already withered but now I saw when they ereceted one! It wasn't as quick as I expected, it took about 20 minutes and 20 men to raise it. We were supposed to go to Midsummer's Eve's dance but we fell asleep early after Midsummer's Eve's sauna. We didn't have bath wisks this time but it's a tradition to make them out of birch branches. I collected a good variety of beautifull wild flowers to make a flower wreath for the dances but they became only a bouquet. The sunset from the medieval monastery to the open sea is still waiting for me another time...

2015-06-18%2019.48.10_zpsw4lrvmrg.jpg
    All the roads were red

20150619_163929_zpsi3yccwb0.jpg
    There were loads of beautifull scenery. On this pasture there where completely white cows. I've never seen them before

20150619_130544_zpsl7ociktx.jpg
    A common old house

20150620_174821_zpsngfowu2w.jpg
    This was the other main building of Guesthouse Enigheten. All the buildings were built in the 18'th century

20150621_100150_zpso8m4bwla.jpg
    This was from the room we had breakfast in :heart:

20150619_134938_zpsigo8xbns.jpg
    From the Local History Museum a picture for you! It's a national costume from Kökar island

Edit: More info with less typos

I saw this link to Buzzfeed's post about Finnish foods, if you'd like to see. I shouldn't link to it, because they have stolen the pictures, it contains a little false information and has forgotten missed important and basic things like smashed potatoes that most still eat every week, "maksalaatikko", a liver casserole and "lihaperunasose", meat and potatoe casserole, that my family calls "cat meat casserole", nettle soup and crépes, the new potatoes that I mentioned, rhubarb soup and pie... And "piimä", souer milk!
    Much of these came to me as a surprise that they aren't that common elsewhere, but maybe the other Nordics eat some of them too. You really don't eat wiener sauce??
    I don't know what is their source, but I don't know what "sultsina" is, sounds like Karelian Finnish. Maybe it's what the Russians call "blini" and the French call "crépe" :smiley: Maybe they just Googled, I don't know, but it looks like "lettu" or "lätty" or "räiskäle" to me... A beloved child has many names :blush:
    And about the "kalakukko", it's "a fish rooster" in English, but it has really nothing to do with roosters. It actually comes from the word "kukkaro" that means a money pouch, but people don't generally know that anymore so it's a common source of jokes to wonder what is a fish rooster made of...
    About the garlic soup, well, I doubd most Finns have never heard of it, like me :D
    Post edited by Silvakristiina on
  • Options
    pxelskiespxelskies Posts: 1,064 Member
    What a gorgeous pics, @Silvakristiina! They really make me want me to go there as well. White cows are so cute! We have them as well in the Netherlands, and I just love them haha.
  • Options
    So beautiful! I am definitely going to use these pics as inspiration when I get time to work on the Lahti house
  • Options
    AaronsimsAaronsims Posts: 720 Member
    Misscow1P wrote: »
    This is Cinnomin Lahti, the family horse :)
    Please tell me I'm not just imagining that this is a punny reference to cinnamon lattes. Too clever! She's a beautiful horse!
  • Options
    @Silvakristiina those pics are beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing. Did you actually take that picture of the dress for me? I'm excited to make something inspired by it. :)
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Than you @MariTomKaulitZ, @Misscow1P and @Aaronsims! :smile: Okay, I took most of my pics having this thread in my mind, but I was thrilled when I saw that dress at the museum :smiley: I love the scarf! I have one much like it, but I don't use it on my shoulders. I inherited it from my granmother, a beautifull black one with flowers and fringes. Unfortunately the fringes in the corner are pretty much cut after messing in to the zipper of my jacket...

I wish I could have those beds in Sims!

I forgot to mention, that the round things hanging from the roof on a stick are bread :smiley: They're very pale so they're not likely rye bread, but that's how the bread was dried in the old days, at least in the Western Finland. In Karelia they baked fresh bread every morning and that caused a conflict when the Karelians fleed from the Second World War to other the parts of Finland.

Am I talking too much?
    Post edited by Silvakristiina on
  • Options

Am I talking too much?

Of course not! As I've said many times, I've loved all of the things I've learned from chatting with you guys. Your trip sounds like it was really nice and I'm glad you gave some history of Åland because I saw it mentioned on SATW and wasn't sure what it was. Thanks also for the buzzfeed food link. It was great seeing how passionate people were in the comments.

I wish I could have those beds in Sims!

I did a similar curtain for a bed in the sims by using MOO and placing a window curtain next to the bed. I tested it and sims were still able to use the bed.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    I have finished the house! Now all I need to do is create the family story. Here's another preview before I upload it :)

Screenshot_10.jpg

@Aaronsims XD I totally didn't think of that! Then again, I do have a gift for making unintentional puns
    Post edited by Misscow1P on
  • Options
    LadyGreenEyesLadyGreenEyes Posts: 928 Member
    Awesome! Sorry, been super busy and forgot to check on this one! I'd like to gift @Heledriel, for the venue, thinking the Boardwalk would be nice! Here is the wishlist link - store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=Heledriel

Congrats to all the winners, and will have to check out the lots I have missed!
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    I want to thank you for coming up with such an inspiring contest. I've never felt so inspired creatively with a sims game :)

Here is the Lahti family! They have a sad story :( but they are also my favorite in game creation.
    http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=8704172
    I uploaded this in the winter, so on the upload picture there are some snowmen and an igloo. Let me know if it's like that when you place it in game haha

Screenshot_10.jpg

Screenshot_3.jpg
    Contains a double bed and a crib

Screenshot_4.jpg
    Bathroom

Screenshot_7.jpg
    Kitchen

Screenshot_27.jpg
    Daven and Emelia Lahti were once a happy couple. They liked to surprise each other with cute gifts even when there wasn't an anniversary nearby.

Screenshot_18.jpg
    While Daven was away at work, Emelia trained tirelessly with her best friend Cinnamon.

Screenshot_23.jpg
    One day Daven and Emelia had their son Roar, and their life became complete. While Roar was still young, Emelia became very sick and knew she wouldn't be around for much longer.

Screenshot_20.jpg
    Daven worked day after day to build up his gardening skill and find the Death Flower to save Emelia from the Grim Reaper, but he was too late. Now he continues working to find it, and hopefully prevent his family from any further loss.

Screenshot_19.jpg
    Cinnamon misses Emelia, too. As time goes on, Daven has continued to build his skill. He may not be a horseback rider, but he'll let Cinnamon eat from his blueberry bushes sometimes.

Emelia's grave is in their bedroom. I have her as death by freezing (icy blue colored ghost).
  • Options
    mothersuperior2mothersuperior2 Posts: 1,419 Member
    @Misscow1P it all looks great, sad story .... must tell @MegaMauricio about Cinnamon. Are you entering in the Creation Game which @NagyGina hosts? :)
    I have a weird sense of humour. If it doesn't come across, please forgive me in advance.

Are Kevin's undergarments lurking in a wishlist near you?

I own the Store 5584.gifMy Page
    HOW?
    Cascades
    Daily Deals
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm about to submit the entry. I love seeing all the builds that people enter in her contest.
  • Options
    MegaMauricioMegaMauricio Posts: 238 Member
    @misscow1p i like a lot your history and your pictures. I love your horse Cinnamon! @mothersuperior2 is right in my love for these animals. :)
    I am Bluebomber21 in theSims3. lol
    My Studio here.
    Accepting new friends!
  • Options
    Nice build and family @Misscow1P Very sad back story.
  • Options
    Ok, the final prize has been given out, so this contest is officially closed. Thank you everyone who took part!