Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Toddlers are too big to be in a free patch (and I don't mean file size)

1789101113...Next

Comments

• Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    pezhead7 wrote: »
    At this point, I'm curious as to what people will rage over once we actually get toddlers.

That is a rather provocative statement. It implies that people want to be upset. I really don't believe thats the case. Given this is the first time in 15 years I have felt let down by the sims I would say that shows we want to be happy.
  • Options
    ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    At this point, I'm curious as to what people will rage over once we actually get toddlers.

Perhaps it will be more needless remarks like this one.

Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Options
    blueasbutterflyblueasbutterfly Posts: 3,425 Member

There's lots of stuff going on already that isn't about toddlers. Culling, specifically with regard to the family tree, lack of reaction to death/cheating and the incest bug are some that I see a lot of posts about. As people have said before, it's not only about toddlers. There's a lot of work that needs to be done. Lots of the posters who are still hanging around here are longtime fans of the franchise, they expect better quality and allowances for many styles of play. So it will depend on a lot - what toddlers are like, what else has been done for family players between now and their release.

I'm also seeing (and feeling) a lot of discontent over the silence. Never before have we been kept in the dark like this... the more that goes wrong, the longer we wait, the more the forums are ignored in favor of Twitter, the worse the unrest gets. So I think increased communication is also key here. Lots of people feel that their trust has been broken, if it is to be rebuilt, that process has to start somewhere.

I know I'd feel less upset if there weren't so many little things bothering me. I also wouldn't feel as bad if I didn't feel I had been charged a AAA price for a tablet game. The price they asked for it, even knowing it wasn't finished, means that the future releases need to complete the game and should be top quality. It's not like there weren't things that bugged me with previous Sims games, but because I felt the games were well done and had plenty of content that I *did* like, I could overlook the rest. Salt doesn't burn unless you have an open wound already.
    toddlersig3_zps62792e0c.jpg
  • Options
    ArlettaArletta Posts: 8,444 Member
    edited May 2015

Lack of sandbox (at a guess) followed by loading screen/open world.

@sparkfairy1 as provocative as it may be, it's a good question and one I've wondered myself. As people keep pointing out having toddlers wouldn't 'fix' the game for them, just appease things.

• Options
    AshlynneAshlynne Posts: 288 Member

lol I guess it will depend on whether or not EA chains toddlers to beds!
    qLr9gBj.png
    This is what I look like IRL. "Bald is beautiful" my husband says. I'm getting used to it and I'm starting to like being bald.
  • Options

There's lots of stuff going on already that isn't about toddlers. Culling, specifically with regard to the family tree, lack of reaction to death/cheating and the incest bug are some that I see a lot of posts about. As people have said before, it's not only about toddlers. There's a lot of work that needs to be done. Lots of the posters who are still hanging around here are longtime fans of the franchise, they expect better quality and allowances for many styles of play. So it will depend on a lot - what toddlers are like, what else has been done for family players between now and their release.

I'm also seeing (and feeling) a lot of discontent over the silence. Never before have we been kept in the dark like this... the more that goes wrong, the longer we wait, the more the forums are ignored in favor of Twitter, the worse the unrest gets. So I think increased communication is also key here. Lots of people feel that their trust has been broken, if it is to be rebuilt, that process has to start somewhere.

I know I'd feel less upset if there weren't so many little things bothering me. I also wouldn't feel as bad if I didn't feel I had been charged a AAA price for a tablet game. The price they asked for it, even knowing it wasn't finished, means that the future releases need to complete the game and should be top quality. It's not like there weren't things that bugged me with previous Sims games, but because I felt the games were well done and had plenty of content that I *did* like, I could overlook the rest. Salt doesn't burn unless you have an open wound already.

@blueasbutterfly You hit the nail on the head. Toddlers alone wouldn't save the game. If they introduced toddlers it might spark some game play for me, but there are a lot of other issues. Culling a population that is no where near 180, family trees disappearing. Heck, I had a sim that was working on that aspiration where you make tons of friends. I spent an entire Saturday working on building relationships and had at least 8 close friends only to wake up the next morning (me, not the Sim) and find she only had 1 friend. The only friend remaining was the one who wasn't a townie; it was one I created myself in CAS. That was disturbing and it was the last time I really played for any length of time. I only had a population of barely over 60, so why did that happen? It didn't just happen to her either. The other Sims I created had the same issue. Another issue that has persisted is with the GTW EP made it so ALL my unemployed Sims get jobs when I swap to other households, even if it was INTENTIONAL for them to not have jobs. I had a community to hippies and artists, 8 sims, living on one lot making money selling their paintings. I swapped to play my simself and when I came back I had one who was a level 9 surgeon! What? lol I mean, how do you climb the ladder that quick? And why on Earth would he have a job? If there were a checkbox saying "do not employ my Sims without my consent", that would solve the problem. If there were a checkbox for "don't cull my sims, ever" we wouldn't have the other problem. Every time I swap to that household I have to make all 8 Sims quit their jobs. I also have a hubby and wife household where the wife is deliberately unemployed and gardening and such. I have to keep making her quit her job too. It begins to take the fun out of the game.

There are things that have messed up my game so bad that no, toddlers won't fix it all. They charged a premium price and delivered a buggy, half-baked game. My department would be in hot water if we released something this unfinished and this buggy. We would worry about being fired along with the stakeholder/executive that directed us to do it that way.

I want my game back. I want the endless hours of fun, creating, and "simulating" life. I really want to love this game as I have loved the others for so many years since TS1 was released. Please EA, give me my fun back.
    qLr9gBj.png
    This is what I look like IRL. "Bald is beautiful" my husband says. I'm getting used to it and I'm starting to like being bald.
  • Options
    Arletta wrote: »

@sparkfairy1 as provocative as it may be, it's a good question and one I've wondered myself. As people keep pointing out having toddlers wouldn't 'fix' the game for them, just appease things.

I think it would make some people happy for a short while, but to really keep the drama/anger down, they need to be more transparent in letting us know what they are working to address next. Just letting us know it's on a list, even without a timeline, would placate many who are irritated. I think the irritation is more about the lack of transparency. If we knew that they have no intention on working on any of these things, we could move on to grief. lol But we are all stuck at hope (ok some of us).
    qLr9gBj.png
  • Options
    KrayzieStrykerKrayzieStryker Posts: 2,646 Member

Well for me i need at least more lots to build it would be also nice to get town editor and terrain tool back into the Game. But well i guess this will never happen because the worlds just resemble an online game more than an offline game.
  • Options
    LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    edited May 2015

For some people, toddlers may not solve other issues with the game, such as goals or lack of open world, etc. So why punish those of us who want well-done toddlers (that are not not objects tied to other objects) and would be happy with a generations ep, etc? (Hey, sims3 did a lot of nickle and diming, and people still like sims3....)

Besides, just like in real life and businesses and artistic endeavours, you can't satisfy everyone.

What matters is, if there is enough of an audience to justisfy the effort and/or to meet the bottom line.
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • Options
    blueasbutterflyblueasbutterfly Posts: 3,425 Member
    Ashlynne wrote: »

I think it would make some people happy for a short while, but to really keep the drama/anger down, they need to be more transparent in letting us know what they are working to address next. Just letting us know it's on a list, even without a timeline, would placate many who are irritated. I think the irritation is more about the lack of transparency. If we knew that they have no intention on working on any of these things, we could move on to grief. lol But we are all stuck at hope (ok some of us).

I think you're right. I feel like I'm holding onto a raging bull right now, trying to keep my grip but feeling like maybe I should just let go. If I *knew* that they really were listening, not just to the content of our requests and concerns but to the spirit of them - if I knew that in another 2 years, I'd love this game, I'd feel a lot better. I'd be able to sit back and watch it unfold. The bull and I could make peace. (This would require some mending of trust as well, but I won't go into that.)

Alternately, if they told us the future direction of the game, and it really wasn't for me, I could stop sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for news. I have trouble letting go because I keep feeling like, what if I gave up and then something happens and I miss it? I keep thinking a change for the better could be right around the corner. But I would leave the game to its current fans if I knew it would never be something I'd enjoy.

Either way, giving us some news would help.
    toddlersig3_zps62792e0c.jpg
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,562 Member
    I think you're right. I feel like I'm holding onto a raging bull right now, trying to keep my grip but feeling like maybe I should just let go. If I *knew* that they really were listening, not just to the content of our requests and concerns but to the spirit of them - if I knew that in another 2 years, I'd love this game, I'd feel a lot better. I'd be able to sit back and watch it unfold. The bull and I could make peace. (This would require some mending of trust as well, but I won't go into that.)

Alternately, if they told us the future direction of the game, and it really wasn't for me, I could stop sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for news. I have trouble letting go because I keep feeling like, what if I gave up and then something happens and I miss it? I keep thinking a change for the better could be right around the corner. But I would leave the game to its current fans if I knew it would never be something I'd enjoy.

Either way, giving us some news would help.
    That's how I felt throughout the entire run of TS3. I kept holding on, hopeful what it was lacking would later be either patched in or addressed in an EP. Of course, it never was, and I only slowly backed into giving TS4 a try — But only after they announced it wasn't going to be an online game. I found myself tickled over how the Sims themselves behaved up front in this game, finding them to be more like the ones in TS2. And, I have to confess, while I prefer the whole sandbox idea, I do like the little daily 'tasks' of the job and being able to do productive things of that nature with the child Sims makes this age group so much more interesting to me, personally. Before, I simply endured this age.

You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    I still don't understand what the OP mean by "toddlers too big" to be in a patch...

I feel like the amount of development time that would be needed to build models, CAS elements, animations, and interactions, on top of toddler based interactive items ... it's too much content to plop in our Laos in a patch.

Ghosts were basically transparent sims with a few extra animations.

Pools were a build mode addition with some CAS items and three or four animations.

New careers ... we got new items and more CAS stuff.

The basic addition of toddlers, in a capacity the would feel acceptable to the community, would be more work than all 3 of those features combined.

Upper management worth their salary would let that much work go for free. It's not greedy. It's just smart business.
    Also, the time spent on free toddlers would take away from other content development. Which would most likely lead to a ticked off community when they're waiting an extra 4-6 month for a content pack.

The developers would have to sell the addition of toddlers as a major family based expansion feature.
    But since it's a major addition, they would have to give the toddler basics to us in a base game update patch, just like when they updated phones and other existing featured in sims 3.

It's just too big, in terms of development, to be a free patch slo e.

I disagree. Because the pool animations are actually hard to do. And were patched into the game. One, you have to make sure the Sim doesn't go swimming across land...and keep going down the street. Two, you would have to make sure the Sim doesn't get out of the pool when asking someone to join them. And the animation (new) of making the Sim stay in the water while they chatted with Sims either sitting or standing beside the pool edge. Then the multitasking of making sure the Sim can sit and talk, eat, and read and chat with others in the pool or sitting near by and or standing near by, and or seated beside them at pool's, edge. That was no small feat, and it all came in a patch. It was actually a lot more work than just a building tool. Let alone the other animations we probably take for granted surrounding pools...like getting in and out.

I think they are capable of adding in toddlers in a patch, very much so, but whether Rachel Franklin decides to do it or not is a different story.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    AnavastiaAnavastia Posts: 6,515 Member
    edited May 2015

@Anavastia Speaking of interesting responses! Well said. I think you are quite right. It seems that EA is very aware of the fact that they alienated a huge portion of their fans, and equally aware that adding toddlers at this point may not be enough to draw them back. It's unfortunately the same lack of confidence (in the continued interest of their customers) that lead them to attempt an online game. It's like they thought we were all done with the Sims. That we were no longer a viable target market, and they needed to grab the attention of a new crowd. They decided they were more confident in their abilities to make a game that could appeal to a younger, more casual gaming audience than one that would appeal to the long term simulation players. Fair enough in some ways, it's much easier to make a goal oriented tablet style game then a really in depth sim, but they shot themselves in the foot not recognizing that they had a captive audience, with the simulation genre being so without competition. EA is not the first company to attempt to appeal to a newer, more casual audience, and they won't be the last, but they may be the first in my experience to say, 'Hey we know we have a total monopoly in this genre, and our audience is fiercely loyal, but meh, let's just throw that out the window and try to market/build our game for a totally different group of players.' It just seems like such a huge gamble to have made, and it makes me wonder what data they had, and how it was analysed. From an outsider's perspective it looks like a crazy decision, and it doesn't look like it's paid off.

I agree totally they shot themselves in the foot. Not able to recognize they had a true gold mine in front of them and equally could have milked it another 15 to 20 years provided they were able to keep up with the simulation game. Making sims is no small task in honesty the time should have extended out to build the game to about 6 to 7 years if they were going to build a standard model as most triple A titles take that long. Sims is also one of those titles in simulation. Though to take this huge risk and then lose all confidence means EA was chasing a ghost market by mistake. That also means why they panicked and dropped olympus even though it already had 3 years of development under its' belt and only needed a year to complete. So it's true they were looking for a totally new market to go after with this game but i think realized it's not there and probably hasn't been.

That being said, the people that like the current sims 4 are free to do so, this is their genre, this is just not a simulation genre. I know that genre when i see one and this is more so an mmorpg gone offline. For me this is a pourly done rpg and pourly done achievement based game. Im not a fan of crossbreeding genres to make a series, and equally sims 4 is not designed to support simulation development so targeting the fanbase that want that to me marketing made some very terrible steps. Thinking on it they made the mistake of pushing the negative and positive audiences together. In honesty marketing wise both have their own group think and equally negativity tends to have a more stronger affect on human nature than positivity. It was why I supported furthering giving the positive players more room and space to chat in forum areas designed for them. Unfortunately my thread requesting more to be done to the format of the of the forum to create the more positive experience for players hasn't really been taken into consideration. Again it would have been better to not push the players that were staying with sims 3 over to this forum. I know that was a huge number of loss they would have. However, again this is the company's fault to begin with. Frankly if they wanted to market to a simulation audience than the should start over with a separate game all together and milk this one.

Call it The sims reboot. Of which they could build the simulation game the market was looking for, get the crazed reviews both audiences would buy it anyway and equally Ea would probably profit more from it provided they put the effort and talent into it along with time. Hire the right staff for the job and you couldn't do any wrong with this kind of game, I would have even announced hey we tried a new thing with sims 4 if that's your cup of tea great try it out if it's not don't worry give us time we got a big project up ahead we've been working on called sims reboot. We're going to up the anty on simulation gaming, and we're going to be taking you guys through it every step of the way. Market it like no tomorrow as their building it, developer workshops, meetings with fans, commercials. They could do a whole new staff with an actual simulation team not a f2p team (i know a mobile f2p team when i see one). Up the anty on the graphics and bam fix the routing issue with open world and better yet when designing the house whomever they got doing those please make sure they carefully place objects so that their are no obstructions (major cause of stuck sims) Anyway it was clear sims 3 was a buggy mess but it was also clear a lot of staff had no clue what they were doing, a lot of communication is coming from outside the dept. can't have that happening when making a game. What was the mistake and I think a huge one marketing underestimated is that sims fans won't just buy and play anything. Again we're a niche market, we're picky we buy for a reason and when you get rid of that reason you destroy your market.

Want that market back than the solution is stop trying to grab others and cater to the one you have. Build the game they want. Other wise you have simulation players, like myself going nope not spending a dime. Replace me if you can EA my player type are the big spenders too, don't think you didn't hurt your bottom line you did. Most of my group type drops about a good 1000 into their hobby here where as im noticing something about the new market you advertised too, or retained. I wonder if you should ask them if they'd be willing to spend 1500 dollars into a series for sims. Sure you've got some collectors under your wing but are the willing to shoulder the cost of the game now that you've lost a big portion of fans. 3 to 5 million loyal fans is what you anticipated huh, you were planning for that drop off big time first from 20 to 10 now to 5. Can't be called a triple A title anymore with those numbers. I hope these fans that like sims 4 will like how little they'll get in terms of gameplay through each expansion and how much more they'll pay to make their game complete. The new GP, SP, Expansions, and for sure that store will open. Sims 4 will be the most expensive game yet to the series. That small a number means there will be no sims 5 cause strip anything out of this game and you might as well close the franchise by the time 5 roles around.
  • Options
    VlaxitovVlaxitov Posts: 5,798 Member

They'll then realize that the game wasn't up to par for toddlers to begin with.

Its OK though, you don't have to take it personally and be a victim of other people's dissatisfaction with a video game.

1vJNG4P.gif

• Options
    DarklingDarkling Posts: 6,327 Member

The price of coffee. Seriously, it's getting ridiculous. :/

Oh! In the game! Speaking for myself, I've already made my peace with the limitations of this game and I don't expect toddlers to "fix" them. With their addition, however, I'll finally be able to have what I call a "real" family which would go a long way in expanding my gaming sessions from 10-15 minutes to longer. I love the toddler stage, potty training and all, as it is a perfect time for family bonding. It is an aspect of family oriented play that I sorely miss.
    14785081519_9e388018bc_o.jpg
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,562 Member
    I have to add, too, that I don't expect toddlers to "fix" the game, either. I just want them included because that life stage is sorely missed. I, too, love playing families. I still do, but there's a hole, you know?
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/