Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

During or after recording commentary?

I am curious, how many of you record your audio at the same time as you play for your Let's Play! videos? Or record the video and then record your commentary with a program like audacity? I am trying to decide what would be easier for me.

Comments

• Nancy01905Nancy01905 Posts: 3,929 Member
    I record at the same time when I am recording my first LP.
  • ArubianaCalienteArubianaCaliente Posts: 448 Member
    edited April 2015
    I record commentary while I record gameplay. I record one track of my commentary in Dxtory and one track in Audacity. After recording the gameplay and commentary, I clean up the Audacity commentary track.

I use the Dxtory commentary track to sync up the cleaned/processed Audacity. commentary. Once everything is synced up in my video editor I delete the Dxtory commentary track.

Edited to correct typos/clarify thought.
    Post edited by ArubianaCaliente on
    Please check out my Youtube channel, thanks! https://youtube.com/user/RubySimsFatale
  • professorlilithprofessorlilith Posts: 392 Member
    I record a lot more game than I actually upload. So sometimes I set the video to play at high speed 1.5 to 4 times faster than I recorded) and let my voice sound squeaky and like a chipmunk. And sometimes I record separately. I may tryarubianaCaliente's metthod, though, because it sounds like it might be better.
  • ByondTime89ByondTime89 Posts: 1,505 Member
    edited May 2015
    I record game play with muted commentary at the same time I record commentary with muted game sounds. I find it easier to clean up the audio and erase feedback noise that way, and don't have to worry about screwing up the game sounds and music. Then I just overlay my commentary back over my videos then I can trim out boring parts at the same time and it still be in sync. :3 It sounds like a lot of work, but it's not. It usually takes me an hour or so to get something I'm pleased with.
    Post edited by ByondTime89 on
    Gallery & Origin ID: ByondTime89
  • professorlilithprofessorlilith Posts: 392 Member
    @ByondTime89 What software do you use to capture commentary and the video separately? I am using the in-game video to capture game sounds and the recording software that came with windows to record my microphone, but I'm trying to get away from using the video capture that comes with the game. It just doesn't record cleanly.
  • ByondTime89ByondTime89 Posts: 1,505 Member
    I used aTubeCatcher for video capture. It's got lots of nice features. It captures both mic and game sounds but there's a way to turn the mic part off. I capture mic sounds with Audacity. That way it's already in Audacity format and I can clean it up a lot quicker.
    Gallery & Origin ID: ByondTime89
  • Spacey72659Spacey72659 Posts: 1,479 Member
    I record at the same time, but I need to start recording voice in two places. I've had my audio drop from videos before and I end up having to do a voice over or scrap an entire segment.

I think doing it after is good if you want to create a story or do a lot of clipping/editing to your videos. If you are doing straight play and want to just chat and play along then doing it while recording is prob better.