Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The McEntire Legacy New Chapter(s)

This is where I will post updates about The McEntire Legacy!

I posted a new chapter yesterday! Please read, comment, follow, etc. I'll be happy to read and comment on anyone else's in return!

Thanks!

http://themcentirelegacy.blogspot.com/
cropped-vampiresig-e1486927472938.jpg

Comments

• CrzydramaqueenCrzydramaqueen Posts: 632 Member
    Just posted the last chapter for generation 1 - It's a short one to finish it up, but generation 2 is coming!

Please read, comment, follow, etc. and I'll check yours out too!

• CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    Aw. Big hugs! You made it through Grim's first visits. I was going to write that those are the hardest--unfortunately, for me, that's not been true! It's starts out hard, and it just gets harder! But look how cute the kids are! Can't wait to follow generation two and soon, we'll have three!

You've got a great family there. Love your storytelling, too. :)
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
    Haha! Awww, thanks! It was especially sad because Charlie was 1 promotion away from completing the Comedian career track!

Rereading some of the first few chapters of yours. Please tell me the "second best bed" thing was a reference to what Shakespeare left his wife in his will? (Shakespeare nerd here!) I love how we don't know if the second best bed was a compliment or an insult at that time!

Also I didn't realize at first how awesome the captions are! Must read more later! :smiley:
    Starting generation 2! New posts, new pages, new generation!

Please read/comment/follow here or on blogspot, and I will take a look at your story in return! Thanks! :smiley:
    Haha! Awww, thanks! It was especially sad because Charlie was 1 promotion away from completing the Comedian career track!

Rereading some of the first few chapters of yours. Please tell me the "second best bed" thing was a reference to what Shakespeare left his wife in his will? (Shakespeare nerd here!) I love how we don't know if the second best bed was a compliment or an insult at that time!

Also I didn't realize at first how awesome the captions are! Must read more later! :smiley:

Hey, totally the "second best bed" is a reference to Shakespeare! I've got a bit of Shakespeare in the chapters up through Palo Verde's appt. with Grim. I was reading/rereading the sonnets and comedies/fantasies during those months, so I worked in a few quotations and references. I'm on the tragedies now... so not sure how many references I'll be sneaking in (though I'm ready Lear now and savoring every line. Could this be my favorite play of his? What's yours?). I'm still going through the sonnets, so maybe I'll find some of those for Salix. She seems like a sonnet-type of gal.

I have super fun with the captions! Gives me a chance to sneak in other voices.

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
    edited May 2015
    By the way, re. awesome captions: I think you'll enjoy the Wolff legacy, which, for me, sets the standard for amazing use of captions. (Not sure if you're reading it yet or not, but I think you'll love it! And if you read my hippie story, there's cross-over with the Wolffs!)
    Post edited by CathyTea on

Great chapter! Ronaldo is SO funny! Is that a game-generated name? And I love the dialogue you're writing for him! I also love that way that Caroline looks at him! So sweet!

Thanks for putting your character lists with traits at the end of each chapter! I'm reading so many legacies sometimes that I sometimes forget the little details about who's who, so this is a super nice thing to do for your readers!

Love the Shakespeare references. I was an English major, so I took two Shakespeare classes and loved every minute! I like the comedies too, but tragedies actually are my favorites. I think my favorite tragedies are Macbeth and Othello. For the comedies, probably A Midsummer Night's Dream and As You Like It - No, no Twelfth Night! Lear is excellent too, but I read it in a literary criticism class, so I think I enjoyed it less than I would have normally. You may be able to find some semi-comedic lines from Poor Tom since he's crazy! (Disclaimer: I most certainly have not read all of Shakespeare, so these favorites may not be 100% accurate!)

The link to the Wolff Legacy didn't go through, but I'd love to check it out. Maybe you can resend it or I can just search later.

I'm so glad you like the dialogue! I actually think dialogue is one of my weaknesses in writing. I never know what to say! I find the character lists helpful too to keep track of things. They're actually not at the end of the chapters all the time but can be found on the Characters page. I added a bunch of other pages too that I'm excited about.

Love the next few chapters. With Acacia reading and trying not to fall asleep - me to a T! Palo Verde is super cute! I also love Mesquite's awkward quest for romance. As for Manzanita (little apple in Spanish?) Is there a theme for names (plants?) I actually find the evil trait fun. Love the caption with the Bonaparte sculpture! It's difficult when you imagined your sim with a different character, but Kendall is evil, and I actually have a lot of fun with her. I like too how evil is more mischief-based in the Sims 4 - Kind of funny! Can't wait to keep reading! :smile:
    Oh, Othello makes me nuts! I just get so mad at Iago--and, seriously, the whole thing was so silly and could have been avoided! Same as Romeo and Juliet--just one big misunderstanding. Makes me so nuts. I love Twelfth Night! Wow! So fun! I love Macbeth, too--haven't gotten to it yet in this read-around.

I just fixed the link to the Wolff legacy--forgot the http:// in the url tag. oops.

I think your dialogue is fantastic! Really develops the characters well. You're doing a lot that really helps the readers--must be that English major stuff! Maybe you think like a reader so when you write, you write in a way that sort of guides your readers along! I love it. It feels... well, it feels like being cared for by a good host at a really fine dinner party!

Aw! Thanks for talking about the early chapters of Goofy Love! That's feeling like ancient history to me! Mesquite--he is so sweet.

I'm glad you're enjoying the evil trait. Kendall is AWESOME! And you're presenting her well. Manzanita did me in! We just got an evil cousin in gen. 6. He lives across the street, and he's already coming over and yelling at everyone!

The naming theme I'm using is trees! Everybody who's part of the legacy line is named after a tree. With the early gens, they're all Southwest trees since it's in Oasis Springs. By now (gen 6) we're moving onto... let's see.... Latin names for trees (Salix) and non desert trees (Sugar Maple). It's my cornball trait: last name Bough, so everybody's got a tree first name. And they live at Cradle Rock. *dodging tomatoes and other bananas*

• pammiechickpammiechick Posts: 12,262 Member
    Love insane sims! Enjoying your story! <3
    iTvMKZ8.jpg
    Thanks @pammiechick ! I never used to like insane sims since they never quite meshed with my founders/heirs, but I guess I embraced it this time! Thanks for reading!

I started reading yours too! Very interesting! I've never done an Amazon Challenge before! It kind of makes me sad though! I guess I'm all sappy about love! Why do the men need to be executed? Haha! The names are great, and the writing is very emotional! Good job!
  • SummerFallsSummerFalls Posts: 6,413 Member
    Ooh, I'll try and give your legacy a read when I'm next available for reading xD
    Right now, I'm procrastinating writing my history essay, which I should totally get back to.
    ooh_zpseebomb8i.png
    Origin ID: SummerFalls
    House: Ravenclaw/Wampus - Wand: Alder wood with Unicorn hair core 10 ¾" and Slightly Springy flexibility - Patronus: Neblung Cat
    | Simblr | Youtube | I love creating sims! |
  • pammiechickpammiechick Posts: 12,262 Member
    edited May 2015
    Thanks @pammiechick ! I never used to like insane sims since they never quite meshed with my founders/heirs, but I guess I embraced it this time! Thanks for reading!

I started reading yours too! Very interesting! I've never done an Amazon Challenge before! It kind of makes me sad though! I guess I'm all sappy about love! Why do the men need to be executed? Haha! The names are great, and the writing is very emotional! Good job!

If you keep reading, you'll find that I stopped that. We misinterpreted the rules, so I only killed two. The next ones only have to leave and really, drama happens when the women start falling in love. I have very dramatic love stories occurring plus lots of other kind of drama, so don't give up on it! Ha! A lot of the other tribal stories liked the drama of killing the slaves, though. It just broke my heart because I'd get attached. <3 I was glad we didn't have to kill them. The sons of Creators need to be killed once they reach YA because they could lead an uprising with their royal blood and the women don't want to lose power. ;)
    iTvMKZ8.jpg
  • FloorRaisinFloorRaisin Posts: 1,340 Member
    Heya 'queen - was just trying to comment on your blog but Blogspot is convinced I'm a robot because I don't see enough "noodles" among its offerings.

ANYway.. fun story! Ronaldo is great. I mean, the name alone is magnificent, but then he's got those freaky sideburns and the Insane trait to complete the package - hee.

I like your house update! Having the staircases on either side like that is neat.
    The Wolff Legacy - whattheplum.wordpress.com - Latest update: Forward, Fast
    Hi 'raisin! Haha not sure what you mean by noodles, but I did get your comment. I have to approve it before it's posted, but it should be up now.

Thanks so much! Ronaldo is a townie that I ran into, and I was really not pleased that he was pretty much my only option, but it worked out great! I've begun to love him for his quirkiness! I'm glad you like the house update! I'm really not much of an architect, so I'm glad you like it. I have to get back to your blog, but I haven't played Sims all week, so for now, time to make some progress!
    Hi everyone! The McEntire Legacy: 2.2 is finished! I've also made some updates to the blog! Follow, comment, enjoy!

As always, I'd be happy to look at anyone else's blogs in return! :smile:
    Crzydramaqueen, that chapter was so sweet! The kids are so cute! I love that Tyler got the red hair! And Ronaldo's speaking Simlish works so well into the story. He's really become a favorite of mine very quickly! You're getting great traits!

edited May 2015
    Thanks, @CathyTea ! That's so funny, I just figured he was speaking gibberish that was even more gibberish than Simlish! I'm glad you enjoy Ronaldo! As I mentioned before, I was skeptical, but I've found him surprisingly endearing!

I'm still looking at your legacy ever so slowly when I have the time! I actually love Anya! The line about her combining her two favorite past-times, drinking and mourning is so funny! I find it so interesting that you give your sims such autonomy. I fulfill their whims often, but I do direct them so they don't starve or pee themselves! How come yours don't constantly have yellow or red plumbobs?

Un-story-related, I found your musings on glitches interesting. It's a very positive way to look at them. My game crashed last night, but compared to TS3, it runs like a dream! I hope it stays that way!

Just finished reading about Acacia's death! So sad! I really liked her! Oh well, I'm sure you'll have more awesome butt-kicking female sims as heirs too! :smiley:
    Post edited by Crzydramaqueen on
    @Crzydramaqueen Thanks for your kind comments! Anya drove me so nuts! For some reason, she was a real favorite with a lot of readers. I'm not really sure why my Sims have mostly green plumbobs. The home lot does have really high environment-score and positive emotion objects, and when I give them so much autonomy, they seem to keep themselves very happy with their activities (mostly using the microscope or the fancy gaming rig). With the exception of evil Manzanita and mean Poplar (gen 5 spare), they treat each other really well, so that boosts their mood. And they're good cooks, so they get happy eating! I also have them get steel bladder as soon as possible. TS4 Sims seem really good at taking care of themselves. I'll check their needs often and click any of the meters that turn yellow, so that helps them help themselves with needs.

Glad you enjoyed my reflections on glitches! My game's been surprisingly glitch free, which is so fun! I'm currently reading seraphaeli's Backward ISBI for TS3--and glitches are a constant through that. The way she tells the story is hilarious, with the glitches just being part of life! I really recommend it--you can find the link on my What I'm Reading Now page.

Finally had time to make a new chapter! Please comment and/or follow, and enjoy! As always, I'm happy to read other stories by Simmers too! :smiley:
    Super chapter, Crzydramaqueen! I love Tyler's young adult look, and both Zachary and Kendall's elder looks--and of course, Delilah is beautiful! So much family love in this chapter--really nice. So sweet to see child Delilah and her mom reading together! And, I have to tell you, that many of my favorite Sims have been gloomy. I adore that trait and the profound life-views it brings to Sims! Thanks for writing the chapter! It was very fun to read!

Thanks so much @CathyTea ! I find it really interesting that you like gloomy sims, since you seem so interested in comedy, and your story is generally cheerful and witty! I think I like some of the more distinctive traits in general because they really add personality to a sim, whereas traits like "good" or "family-oriented" or "art lover" are less descriptive for me.

Reading the next few chapters of yours before dinner. I adore these lines!
    Let them party. Let them bake black-and-white cookies and joke about penguins and talk about the lack of newspapers.

My own feelings are black with Acacia’s loss, and white with the hope of new generations.

So beautiful, witty, and poetic. You have a knack for poetry! Poetry has never been my strong suit. My fiance is really good writing with eloquent phrases full of intricacies and imagery, but my writing is always fairly straight-forward. I admire how poetic your writing is!

I also love your inclusion of the LBGT (etc.) community. I am straight but have many friends who identify differently, and I think everyone should be who they are and be happy! Your writing shows that, which is great, as I think everyone is entitled to happiness and love however they define it. My concern for my writing is A. As a straight woman portraying a character of a different orientation and not portraying the character accurately or it being interpreted badly and B. That my legacy is biological, so no family with gay or lesbian parents for me :(

Your general wittiness always makes me chuckle. "Nestor...has squint-eye-square-jaw," for example! As always love the captions and the comments and interpretations of the character's personalities. Really enjoying your legacy more and more each time I read it! Also kind of Love Kamden!
    edited May 2015
    Aw, thanks, Crzydramaqueen! Your comments are so kind and thoughtful--Thanks for noticing those little details. I really love Kamden, too--he was such a great cousin to have around.

With the LBGT, I'm mostly just trusting my Sims and letting them show me how to portray them. In later generations, I get some gender-bender or sort of androgynous Sims, and I sort of just watched them to let them show me how to portray their orientations and inclinations. One, Aspen, whom you'll meet in gen 5, really made me look at my own notions of gender roles and styles, for she looks very boyish--and she certainly is not restrained by gender roles--yet she eventually revealed herself to be straight. She's the most awesome mother I've played yet. Her daughter Sugar Maple also helps me examine stereotypes about appearance. She has not yet declared her orientation.

I want to pass down the genetics, too, for I just love being able to remember my earlier generations through the bits and pieces that show up down the line. So I've decided that if we have gay heirs, they'll just have kids biologically. If they're male, the mom will need to move in, but if they're female, then the dad won't need to move in. One of my favorite legacies, @raerei3 's Pigglewiggle legacy has a gay heir and handles getting biological kids in a really neat way!

At long last, the final chapter of generation 2!

I have some catching up to do with the writing, as I'm pretty far along in generation 3 now!

Enjoy, follow, comment! As always, I'll be happy to read yours too! :smile:
    I really loved that chapter--so many lovely, funny moments! "The Talk" was great! I enjoyed the way that you included so many events in a single chapter--I've been going the opposite direction lately, only having few things happen in a chapter, and reading your chapter helped me appreciate the broad-sweep overview with a few carefully chosen scenes to give the flavor of the characters and moments. This was really effective! It was moving, too. I felt sad to see gen 2 go. I've grown so fond of them! And I'm really excited for gen 3! :) You've got a great family.